Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alabama senate has voted to ban abortion after six weeks

Options
  • 16-05-2019 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Bravo and well done. A step in the right direction and a step towards a more humane society. Six weeks is more than sifficient time to get an abortion if you want one.

Personally, I have been pro choice for any woman that wants one upto that time (although I still think it's a barbaric practice), but any later (ie, 12 weeks!) in Ireland is a disgrace. But recently I have grown more and more pro-life and against abortion. Certain jurisdictions even allow for a child in utero to be killed if he / she is disabled up ot an including viable stages of pregnancy.

It is a step in the right direction towards a more civilised society. Some people seem to think of an unborn life as something that can be thrown away.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2019/0516/1049771-alabama-abortion-law/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is that the sound of knuckles being dragged across the ground I hear?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

6 weeks is barbarically short time frame, many women could be 5 weeks along before they know in the case of crisis pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What a crazy state - enshrining the right to life of the innocent and executing murderers. Maybe one day they can learn to be 'progressive' like us.
    What are we progressing towards again? I've forgotten in amongst all the backslapping, virtue signalling, and general emoji bonhomie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You lost, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

giphy.gif

No bite.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't know the ins and outs of this but MrsTeal just cursed at me when I read that thread title aloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Does this mean Alamaba isn't as progressive as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Another ridiculous attempt to control others. Six weeks is laughable, some women won't even know they're pregnant at that stage.

And just to really rub it in, because let's face it the cruelty is pretty much the point here, there's no exceptions for rape or incest, and they criminalise travelling outside the state for an abortion.

Good old GOP, getting the digs in while they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

What's the demographic of the senate?
    I'm guessing they were mostly men in their 50's+?
    Great idea asking them to make a decision on something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Roe vs Wade will never get thrown out by supreme court so it really is a non issue.

• Advertisement

You lost, get over it.

Get over state-sanctioned baby murder? Easier said than done.
    Anyway, in this thread context - isn't it 'you' who 'lost'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

You lost, get over it.

So brave...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do not feed

Lurching wrote: »

They reckon the people whose lives are saved could be anything up to and even beyond 50% female.

Lurching wrote: »

Can't find the picture (it's on Twitter) but shockingly enough it's all white guys in their 50s and up, by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I voted yes in the referendum and would rather abortion be available for longer than six weeks, but must say the outrage of the liberals is just delicious! Make no sense I know.

I voted yes in the referendum and would rather abortion be available for longer than six weeks, but must say the outrage of the liberals is just delicious! Make no sense I know.

You're right, it does make no sense, but that's where politics seems to be now.

'owning the libs' now seems to be acceptable as an excuse for people to act like <unts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I presume they're also going to put supports in place to help all those mothers and babies? Better sex education and access to contraception? </sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Crock Rock wrote: »

Personally, I have been pro choice for any woman that wants one upto that time (although I still think it's a barbaric practice), but any later (ie, 12 weeks!) in Ireland is a disgrace.

That's so great of you to decide that for them . Wouldnt want all those women you havnt and never will meet to have to worry their poor little women minds with big life decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Can't find the picture (it's on Twitter) but shockingly enough it's all white guys in their 50s and up, by the looks of it.

a pretty stupid argument , they are elected by all the people . That is the game.
    However if we decide to play your game (nonsensical as it is) it turns your argument on it's head when you realise that the law was proposed by a woman and signed into law by another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I presume they're also going to put supports in place to help all those mothers and babies? Better sex education and access to contraception? </sarcasm>

I'll accept there should be supports for people in crisis that goes without saying and I think condoms are fair to dear in ireland (not sure about USA) but ffs stone age man probably knew the consequence of the hot meat injection....like thousands of years later what more sex education does one need?

Why do people (and you) trot out that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

paw patrol wrote: »
    a pretty stupid argument , they are elected by all the people . That is the game.
    However if we decide to play your game (nonsensical as it is) it turns your argument on it's head when you realise that the law was proposed by a woman and signed into law by another.

They're feeble minded if they make their decisions and live their lives based on a book of horse**** written a couple of thousand years ago. (Constituants and politicians alike)

Plus, plenty of them (politicians over there ) have been shown to be complete hypocrites when an intern they've been cheating with ends up pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

You don't find out you're pregnant until 4 weeks at the earliest.

Horrible what Alabama has voted for. They care more about a bunch of cells than the children dying in their schools everyweek from guns.

Presume you mean this one?

https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1128494980098662407?s=20

The vote was 25-6

There are 4 women in the Alabama Senate 2 or which abstained or didn't vote, 2 of which were against.

Then other demographics have no one but themselves to blame for not running for election and not voting for other candidates. One like on social media does not equal one vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If you believe that life begins at conception then you'd believe that it is the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

What has ethnicity got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well you clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to women and their bodies. What a shock .

Pregnancies are dated from when the last period started. 6 weeks is really not "more than enough time" for a woman to decide whether she wants to continue the pregnancy or not. Unless they are actively trying to conceive, many women don't even know they are pregnant at that stage. It's 2 weeks after her period would be due. Throw in irregular periods and a busy lifestyle and it's easy to miss that your period is late. I myself was 8 weeks when I found out. I didn't want an abortion so I didn't have one. My choice. they aren't compulsory even if they are allowed.

What has ethnicity got to do with it?

Identity politics has played a huge role in black voters supporting Democrats traditionally in the US while the view of republicans has traditionally be white middle age men. This is changing however as we see the likes of Candice Owens and other people of colour starting to lean towards right wing ways of thinking. Interestingly Alabama had a democratic majority in the senate for a 136 year period up until 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Firstly, it's probably unconstitutional. Secondly, you'd us be to be a bit of a sadist to be celebrating the fact that a lot of women will find it impossible to have an abortion as a direct result because there's a good chance that they won't be aware of a pregnancy by the cut off. But yes, celebrate your liberal tears while women suffer.

Advertisement