Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used BMW i3 experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    You don't need to pay a monthly fee to get a tag account.

You sure? Always thought you had to. I mean, why would anyone sign up for a video account if the tag account is the same price ie. free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

You don't need to pay a monthly fee to get a tag account.

I think you are confusing it with a video account

EFlow is 1Eur+vat per month for a tag account. Video account is free

So guys, are there any known issues with the i3 and/or REx that a fella should know about.

I’d be hoping to be in a position to buy one in the near future, but the thought of bringing trouble on myself (now that I’ve gotten used to the foibles of my L24) doesn’t sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

daheff wrote: »
    I think you are confusing it with a video account

EFlow is 1Eur+vat per month for a tag account. Video account is free

Nope. Had a free tag account for many years. You pay slightly more per toll than if you pay a monthly sub.

I switched to the monthly sub (indeed something a bit over €1 per month) only last year, because I spent the hot summer going through the toll all the time to bring the dog to the north county Dublin beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Soarer wrote: »
    So guys, are there any known issues with the i3 and/or REx that a fella should know about.

I’d be hoping to be in a position to buy one in the near future, but the thought of bringing trouble on myself (now that I’ve gotten used to the foibles of my L24) doesn’t sit well with me.

I'd imagine you'd get more info from looking in UK sites as they have higher numbers of i3's and more likely to see more issues sooner e.g. https://www.speakev.com/threads/known-i3-issues-solutions-thread.22801/

Whilst there are benefits\savings to be had, I am sure there are also downsides too. Particularly with the i3 as it is not a conventional build with its carbon fibre. How easy it is to repair bodywork, is it BMW only job? How expensive compared to conventional car?

Are there independent garages that will service an i3? Or you must go to BMW? If BMW is a must, then any savings on your fuel will be dramatically eroded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd imagine you'd get more info from looking in UK sites as they have higher numbers of i3's and more likely to see more issues sooner e.g. https://www.speakev.com/threads/known-i3-issues-solutions-thread.22801/

Check out SpeakEV or the BMW i3 UK Facebook page. They have a knowledge document that explains everything.
    Whilst there are benefits\savings to be had, I am sure there are also downsides too. Particularly with the i3 as it is not a conventional build with its carbon fibre. How easy it is to repair bodywork, is it BMW only job? How expensive compared to conventional car?

Body panels are similar to any other modern car. Mixture of plastic and metal. Body work repairs, touch ups, maintenance, detailing are the same as any other car.

The carbon Frame needs special attention of course, but in every day life, you should never have to touch this, i've never had to touch the frame of any car i've ever owned before.

Are there independent garages that will service an i3? Or you must go to BMW? If BMW is a must, then any savings on your fuel will be dramatically eroded.

The same service is required as any other EV. Nissan charge about €130 for its annual service. BMW require service every 2 years and costs about 250-260 so exactly the same s a Nissan Leaf. Assuming BEV. If you go for the REX, then you also have to service the generator so its another €200 ish. Average seems to be about €450 every 2 years on the REX.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Nope. Had a free tag account for many years. You pay slightly more per toll than if you pay a monthly sub.

https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/open-an-account/

maybe things have changed since you had one.

in this case I'm disappointed to be right, because its just not economical for me to avail of the EV toll discount because of this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

daheff wrote: »
    https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/open-an-account/

maybe things have changed since you had one.

Don't go with that shower of incompetents. Not much chance of them even crediting your EV discounts until months later if you're lucky :rolleyes:

tolltag.ie / parkmagic is where it's at. You get your credit within seconds of passing the toll. Tag costs nothing

kceire wrote: »
    Check out SpeakEV or the BMW i3 UK Facebook page. They have a knowledge document that explains everything.

Body panels are similar to any other modern car. Mixture of plastic and metal. Body work repairs, touch ups, maintenance, detailing are the same as any other car.

The carbon Frame needs special attention of course, but in every day life, you should never have to touch this, i've never had to touch the frame of any car i've ever owned before.

The same service is required as any other EV. Nissan charge about €130 for its annual service. BMW require service every 2 years and costs about 250-260 so exactly the same s a Nissan Leaf. Assuming BEV. If you go for the REX, then you also have to service the generator so its another €200 ish. Average seems to be about €450 every 2 years on the REX.

Cheers lads.
    Will check out SpeakEV.
    Not on Facebook so that's that one scuppered.

I'll probably go for the 60ah REx for utmost convenience. the 94ah would probably do 95%+ of what I want, but the REx would do 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Cheers lads.
    Will check out SpeakEV.
    Not on Facebook so that's that one scuppered.

I'll probably go for the 60ah REx for utmost convenience. the 94ah would probably do 95%+ of what I want, but the REx would do 100%.

What about those doors Soarer! :)

I thought you were against the i3 because the doors were too much work for getting kids in/out? Is it just a case that it has grown on you and you're willing to put up with that inconvenience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'll see if I can get on a PC and download the "knowledge" documents from the Facebook page. They have a specific end of warranty checklist of things to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Mad_Lad Can you tell what the approx range on your Rex is please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'll see if I can get on a PC and download the "knowledge" documents from the Facebook page. They have a specific end of warranty checklist of things to look out for.

That would be awesome if you could make that available to me also. Am looking into the i3 too - seems to be a natural progression from the Leaf on here!

KCross wrote: »
    What about those doors Soarer! :)

I thought you were against the i3 because the doors were too much work for getting kids in/out? Is it just a case that it has grown on you and you're willing to put up with that inconvenience?

They're the only reason I don't have one yet! :o

The thought of them still wrecks my head. Why didn't they make the handle "push" instead of "pull"? At least then, the people in the back could push the door open themselves.
    So the only way I can square that circle is to look at the i3 as an easy access 2-door coupe, as opposed to an awkward-as-fukk 4 door! :D

To be honest, the thought of potential (REx) problems is buttock clenching.

Orebro wrote: »
    That would be awesome if you could make that available to me also. Am looking into the i3 too - seems to be a natural progression from the Leaf on here!

It wasn't my first choice, I'd prefer to stay full EV. But with it being my only car and the charging network being such a joke, it's the perfect for for a lot of people. Between here and Facebook I think there have been maybe 10+ more i3 REx purchases in Ireland since I got mine in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I had an extended test drive in one (3 days), and found the back doors to be an absolute disaster! Two young fellas (7 & 10) being dropped to school/training/matches, and each stop involves the driver having to get out and open their door.
    The fact you've a small kid means you kinda have to do that anyway. Pain in the hole.

- The "windows" in the back don't open. Again, mightn't be a big issue.

- Couldn't control the bluetooth audio from my phone using the steering wheel!

- The auto-wipers need to be turned on everytime you start the car, even if they're already "on". Apparently this is a safety thing!

- The reversing screen doesn't automatically revert to the previous screen once you're out of reverse. So if you reverse and park, you have to manually display the radio again (or whatever).

Loads of little niggly things like that that would drive me mad coming from a Leaf.

As a driver's car though, it's unbelievable. So much so that, even with all the foibles listed above, I find myself always thinking about buying one!

I hired one for a few hours, the EV not the Rex. Seemed nice although they make a point of using environmentally friendly materials throughout and this shows in the cabin. Rocket off the line as all EVs tend to be. Doors didn't annoy. They're out a long time though so wouldn't be the most cutting edge tech wise. I've also driven a Zoe but never a Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Wow! Amazing resource. Thanks for this! Will definitely come in handy if buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

tolltag.ie / parkmagic is where it's at. You get your credit within seconds of passing the toll.

Tolltag make sure to process their "10% fee" the second before they process the EV refund - charging, in effect, between 20% & 40% fee for EV tolls, on the "pay as you toll" type account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Wow! Wasn't expecting that treasure trove - thank you.

• Advertisement

It wasn't my first choice, I'd prefer to stay full EV. But with it being my only car and the charging network being such a joke, it's the perfect for for a lot of people. Between here and Facebook I think there have been maybe 10+ more i3 REx purchases in Ireland since I got mine in October.

And have you heard of any issues?

And have you heard of any issues?

Motor mounts on the early 60Ah Rex Model.

Motor mounts on the early 60Ah Rex Model.

Are they something that would've been sorted under warranty?

Mad_Lad Can you tell what the approx range on your Rex is please ?

Range will average 170-200 kms , depending on your speed, acceleration and braking aggression etc.

This morning I got home from Night Shift, Jained N7 at Kingswood, heading for Naas, 100 Km/h Through roadworks well above 60 Km/h. 110 Km/h from M7 Kilcullen to Carlow/Castledermot turn off.

Back up 120 Km/h from Carlow turn off to Roadworks and again, above 60 Km/h and then 120 again until Rathcool and then 100-80 and down until Kingswood N7 turn off.

27% left, no heat or AC so GOM said 50 KM in normal mode to 70 Km left in ECO pro+

Total trip 142 Kms.

Winter range will reduce, wind, cold and wet all have an impact, especially wind.

This is the 94 ah 33 kwh i3 Rex.

With the Rex of course you don't have to worry about range or recharge times and the trick is to turn on the Rex on a very long trip as early as possible keeping battery charge as high as possible for as long as possible. Use it on the motorway and then battery on slower roads and in town or if you intend to charge use as much battery as you can, it takes time to get the feel for it.

Rex also eliminates cold battery increased charge times. The colder the battery the longer the charge, this can add 20 mins to a charge in colder weather, again, this is where 11 Kw 3 phase AC has a huge benefit.

I checked in work last night and got from 20-95% in 2 hrs n 3 phase AC. Damn handy indeed.

My best was about 230 Kms and had about 11% left, local driving, 50-60-70 Km/h. Warmer weather.

I forgot to add that the i3 has Spotify and Tune in integration fully controllable from the car, it's very very handy.

Not sure if this only works with the 2016+ or if it's limited to the media professional package or whatever they call it but I love it. It means I don't have to listen to the deplorable content and crap music and idiot DJ's on Irish Radio. And can listen to proper News too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I forgot to add that the i3 has Spotify and Tune in integration fully controllable from the car, it's very very handy.

Not sure if this only works with the 2016+ or if it's limited to the media professional package or whatever they call it but I love it. It means I don't have to listen to the deplorable content and crap music and idiot DJ's on Irish Radio. And can listen to proper News too.

Any car has that if paired with Google assistant.

Ok Google play whatever station on tune in

Done

Are they something that would've been sorted under warranty?

Yes, I think there's a recall for them.

Not sure if this only works with the 2016+ or if it's limited to the media professional package or whatever they call it but I love it.

It's not on them all, mine doesn't have it.

It's not on them all, mine doesn't have it.

I think it became standard on the 2017 model which got the newer iDrive computer.
    It also has Apple Carplay built in and Android Auto I believe.

• Advertisement

The newer Apple integration is certainly a lot better that's for sure and I found the HK audio to sound a lot better in the 44 Kwh too, at least to my ears.

I'd love to give the S a drive.

Advertisement