Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wait until you play it in eight player mode, DD madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Double Dash is my 2nd favourite Mario Kart game, behind the original

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My heart lies with the GBA one, the only one I was ever not sh1te at.
    Plus, it was a marvel to see it playing on the GBA.
    At the time of the Snes original I was more enthralled by the likes of Road Rash on the Megadrive.
    I'm sorry for letting everyone down :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As much as I enjoy the racing, it's Battle Mode that has always captured my heart in Mario Kart, and for me Double Dash has yet to be topped - the levels in Mario Kart Wii and 8 are too big, and battles get overcrowded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It happened! It actually happened! For the first time in the history of Mario Kart, I have come first in every race of every Grand Prix at every speed. Never thought it would, but you know, I hung in there, and now...

I've decided to go back and try the other ones. Like a foolish fool.

Double Dash, lads. What's happening here? I remember it as the most beautiful game in the world. Still looks good, in the way GC games tend to, but Christ, I'm still crap at it.

Please give me tips. Lots of 'em. What's the point of the second driver? Can I carry things behind me? Why is Rainbow Road still a nightmare?

While my heart is with Daisy for annoying the ****e out of all my friends with her cry or 'Hi I'm daisy!' when she switches, it you want to do well at single player then the koopas are broken AF. Triple red shells are insane.

Second character I found was only useful for storing a power up as you won't lose it if you get hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not playing but pre-ordered Luigi's Mansion 3 the other day. Never got to play the originals so really looking forward to this now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seriously, Double Dash is hard.

Any tips welcome!

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Everyone else is excited about the rumoured new Switch revision, I've headed back to the DS. (Well, I'm excited for the revision too). The DS has a ridiculous library I barely scratched the surface of all those years ago, could last me years considering the lengthy RPG's on the system. Currently playing Apollo, then plan to do Miles Edgeworth Investigations, because I skipped these and went straight to the 3DS games (Spirit of Justice is a fantastic return to form, if people dropped off the series before it).

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought Tales of Vesperia last night just started it now very nice so far looks like a better story than Tales of the Abyss bought Yoshi too but I've a feeling I'll be leaving that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Mr E wrote: »
    All set for Thursday night. :)

QAmzcne.jpg?1

What do you think of Katana Zero - thinking of buying it to play handheld mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I'm just over half way through - every section starts with 9 days left, 8 days left, 7 days left etc. I'm on 4 days left now.
    Reviews sang the praises of the narrative, but it's not grabbing me. It's a bit cheesy.

I'm somewhere between "really like" and "love" (compared to Cuphead which I just love and is taking most of my time).
    I think unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket (or you have credit in your account), I'd say hold off for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Haven't picked up the Switch I'm a few weeks, most of the indie games don't interest me.

Might pick up Zelda and play through again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

petes wrote: »
    Haven't picked up the Switch I'm a few weeks, most of the indie games don't interest me.

Might pick up Zelda and play through again :)

I'm the exact same.
    Hadn't played for months, jumped aboard the Smash Bros hype train...noone on here was really playing it or the console itself doesn't lend itself to connecting with friends or making a party.
    Jumped off that train quickly and not played since.

I do check the store but there isn't much to get excited about.
    Maybe that Zelda or Pokemon in a few months.

I was looking at some of the old Final Fantasy ports, but everyone mentions they are lazy mobile ports with the same issues, so I've heistated to pull the trigger.

Personally speaking it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on gaming purchases. Hasn't justified itself to me yet. (Actually the Online Service is worse, that's definitely the most I've ever felt suckered in my gaming life)

I've completed Zelda which was great and Celeste too, I own Mario Kart and Super Mario and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Started into FFXII last night, hopefully I get further into it than the other 4 FF's on my switch before FFX arrives and distracts me....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Grassey wrote: »
    Started into FFXII last night, hopefully I get further into it than the other 4 FF's on my switch before FFX arrives and distracts me....

Same. I started IX, got distracted, start X, then this came out. I've finished IX and X already, so I'm justified in going straight to XII in my head. Just started it, and it looks pretty good in handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

petes wrote: »

I play indies more than anything. Is it just pixel art games you don't like or something else? Indies are the best thing about the Switch - I can't get enough of them. There is incredible diversity on show from small passionate teams. If you have a blanket dislike against indie games, you're missing out.

The last first party game I played was NSMBUD about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I play indies more than anything. Is it just pixel art games you don't like or something else? Indies are the best thing about the Switch - I can't get enough of them. There is incredible diversity on show from small passionate teams. If you have a blanket dislike against indie games, you're missing out.

The last first party game I played was NSMBUD about 2 months ago.

Ah not blanket against them, was playing Sekiro and then started Spiderman on the PS4. Was playing Dark Souls on the switch. Playing dead cells, couldn't get in to hollow knight.

Have to say I enjoyed Fire watch.
    I'll get back in to them, have bought a few to get stuck in to. Away to the UK with work next week for a few days so perfect time to play it :)

I play indies more than anything. Is it just pixel art games you don't like or something else? Indies are the best thing about the Switch - I can't get enough of them.

It's literally the best platform to buy them on IMO. Even if you hardly ever use the portable and multi-controller functionality, it's there 'just in case'. Especially for pixel art games, you're never gonna be able to tell it's 1080p at maximum even on a huge screen. Sales have been frequent and decent for third party titles and the possibility of physical versions means you're not stuck with them once you're done with them. 'Perfect for Switch' is a meme Nintendo really should formalize into their marketing. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tried out the new Crimson Moon expansion to Starlink - I like the racing although it really makes me wish for more control customization. The Coliseum idea is fun enough, though it has a slight feel of something also designed to make you think "Hmm, maybe I should buy a couple of extra ships". I haven't bought the Star Fox DLC as I'm still working my way through the main game. Assuming I don't sour on the game as I go through, I'll probably end up picking that up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Flight to New York today so 6 hours of uninterrupted Switch time. Might jump back in to Starlink as well as Mario Kart against herself and a bit of V Rally 4.

• Advertisement

Flight to New York today so 6 hours of uninterrupted Switch time. Might jump back in to Starlink as well as Mario Kart against herself and a bit of V Rally 4.

What's V Rally 4 like? I keep having a hankering for a racing game, but I prefer the arcade type of racing over the more realistic type.

Enjoy, fantastic city, maybe the best city in the world. Hard to describe why, but it's a real melting pot full of characters, which I loved. Even riding the subway is entertaining.

Avoid the hotdogs, seek out the best pizza, even the dollar places can be great, and try to find a decent Reuben (I was somehow thwarted last year)

They have the Nintendo Store there near 30 Rock, not as good as Japan for swag but there'll be a decent amount there.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Felt the desire to play something again after taking a break (and reading nine books!), I'm continuing with Etrian Odyssey 5 and I just got to the 5th stratum, and my party members are all level 70.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragons dogma

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Double Dash

Have gold in everything except Star Cup & Special Cup in 150cc.

Would have gold in Star Cup except for my own stupid mistakes.

Making progress, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Dragons dogma

Any good? My physical copy should arrive next week. Have plenty of ffx & ffxii to be getting through in the meantime.

Fysh wrote: »
    What's V Rally 4 like? I keep having a hankering for a racing game, but I prefer the arcade type of racing over the more realistic type.

V Rally 4 is quickly becoming one of my most played games. Gameplay is brilliant and at times the game looks absolutely stunning.
    The only issue is the pop-in of shadows. Doesnt look great. But if you can get past that it's definitely worth picking up. I love it.

ogsjw wrote: »
    Enjoy, fantastic city, maybe the best city in the world. Hard to describe why, but it's a real melting pot full of characters, which I loved. Even riding the subway is entertaining.

Avoid the hotdogs, seek out the best pizza, even the dollar places can be great, and try to find a decent Reuben (I was somehow thwarted last year)

They have the Nintendo Store there near 30 Rock, not as good as Japan for swag but there'll be a decent amount there.

I'm hoping to get to the Nintendo store tomorrow. New York is great but i still think Chicago is better. Came over for the Mayo v New York GAA match. Very weird to be walking down all these famous streets and seeing loads of people with Mayo tops on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Grassey wrote: »
    Any good? My physical copy should arrive next week. Have plenty of ffx & ffxii to be getting through in the meantime.

Yup I'm enjoying it, plays well on the switch, this is my forth time buying it :o that's how much I love it :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup I'm enjoying it, plays well on the switch, this is my forth time buying it :o that's how much I love it :D.

Good to hear, I've always wanted to play it, but between Cuphead, FFX, FFXII, Resident Evil 4, and Saints Row 3, I'm good for a while! I'll wait until it goes on sale.

Advertisement