Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

blackcard wrote: »
    So he is guilty of being a rotten cad

That, and murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I think he couldn't win her over or get the better of her despite trying everything and in his twisted mind the 'discovery' would result in her either going down for the murder herself or him taking her down with him by at the very least destroying her reputation. Even though he was the married one, society is always harsher on a woman's reputation. In fact I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the fact that her reputation is in tatters is a great comfort to him as he sits in jail. Kindof a case of if I can't have her, nobody else will either.

Did she have an affair with a man she knew was married tough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Totally agree with this. I think he couldn't win her over or get the better of her despite trying everything and in his twisted mind the 'discovery' would result in her either going down for the murder herself or him taking her down with him by at the very least destroying her reputation. Even though he was the married one, society is always harsher on a woman's reputation. In fact I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the fact that her reputation is in tatters is a great comfort to him as he sits in jail. Kindof a case of if I can't have her, nobody else will either.

He has totally destroyed Lowry’s family and his own family
    There can be a case made for Bobby moonlights family now suing Quirke which will affect his family and their farm
    But I agree he probably is getting off on the mayhem

BarryD2 wrote: »
    God help us, you're being very prudish. It's none of our business as to what goes on in the bedrooms of Ireland. Gone are the days when the powers that be tried to exercise control over such matters. And you certainly can't adjudge murderous impulses on that basis!

What’s prudish about being disgusted by someone recorded himself and his lover doing the business? Especially when she neither knew nor agreed to this recording? Nor did she or her new boyfriend know that they were being taped!
    It may not prove murderous impulses but it sure shows moral depravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

2. He wanted to destroy Mary Lowry

That is a plausible theory but that is all it is, a theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Did she have an affair with a man she knew was married tough?

Did he know he was married though ?

You're proving my point re peoples attitude to women and their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

His internet searches seemed to have sealed his faith I think.
    Bizarre the searches were able to be recovered after that long. We're they stored on the computer in its history, recovered by the ISP, or did google co-operate with the Gardai with an IP address and give them a bread crumb trail to follow his thoughts and find a pattern.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Seems to me the ex had something to do with this too

I wonder will she get a new fella/ has she one already. She can pull them that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    I wonder will she get a new fella/ has she one already. She can pull them that’s for sure.

She has a big farm with road frontage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

What’s prudish about being disgusted by someone recorded himself and his lover doing the business? Especially when she neither knew nor agreed to this recording? Nor did she or her new boyfriend know that they were being taped!
    It may not prove murderous impulses but it sure shows moral depravity.

Jesus, I didn't even know he did this. That's disgusting. Sicko.

• Advertisement

Did he know he was married though ?

You're proving my point re peoples attitude to women and their reputation.

Going by what was reported she knew he was married.

I'd have the same opinion of any man/woman who had an affair with somebody and they knew they were married. So, don't pull the attitude to women card with me.

Going by what was reported she knew he was married.

I'd have the same opinion of any man/woman who had an affair with somebody and they knew they were married. So, don't pull the attitude to women card with me.

You were asked if 'he (as in Quirke)' knew he was married.

I get your point, but there's more being made about her part in the affair than his, even though he was the married man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Jeff2

His internet searches seemed to have sealed his faith I think.
    Bizarre the searches were able to be recovered after that long. We're they stored on the computer in its history, recovered by the ISP, or did google co-operate with the Gardai with an IP address and give them a bread crumb trail to follow his thoughts and find a pattern.

If the searches are in the history there is no need for ISP or even the working computer/laptop.

With just the hard drive from it then it can be found.

Faugheen wrote: »
    You were asked if 'he (as in Quirke)' knew he was married.

I get your point, but there's more being made about her part in the affair than his, even though he was the married man.

I might have misunderstood that poster. From what I know everybody involved knew the set up.
    I just think she was focused on because she was one of the main witnesses in the trial and people will will question her credibility with everything that happened.

Take for instance there was the thing with her credit card being used in a hotel and she seemed oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If the searches are in the history there is no need for ISP or even the working computer/laptop.

With just the hard drive from it then it can be found.

Yeah I figured that. But surely he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave very incriminating searches on his computer. Even the most basic of users can delete history. (wipeout going into drive wipes or shredders)

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm seeing a weird trend in threads of late, if in doubt blame women.

I might have misunderstood that poster. From what I know everybody involved knew the set up.
    I just think she was focused on because she was one of the main witnesses in the trial and people will will question her credibility with everything that happened.

Take for instance there was the thing with her credit card being used in a hotel and she seemed oblivious to it.

She was one of the main witnesses, but she was treated as if she was the one on trail.

And if her credibility is being questioned because of an affair, so should Quirke's but, apart from a few people who can see sense, it's not. He shouldn't have been found guilty if you believe he experts here.

The very first post (and a number following) immediately pointed the finger at her, which is what the aim of the defence team was.

I'm seeing a weird trend in threads of late, if in doubt blame women.

The only person to blame in the case is Patrick Quirke who the jury found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yeah I figured that. But surely he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave very incriminating searches on his computer. Even the most basic of users can delete history. (wipeout going into drive wipes or shredders)

Could be he got a new one and left the old one aside.

We are talking about someone who thought finding the body was a good thing for his case after all.

Faugheen wrote: »
    She was one of the main witnesses, but she was treated as if she was the one on trail.

And if her credibility is being questioned because of an affair, so should Quirke's but, apart from a few people who can see sense, it's not. He shouldn't have been found guilty if you believe he experts here.

The very first post (and a number following) immediately pointed the finger at her, which is what the aim of the defence team was.

I understand where your coming from but people will question how credible she can be with the affair and her credit card also.
    I have no issue with questioning his creditably either.
    I'd want nothing to do with any of them.(If I knew any of them)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The problem is that 'damning' is a very subjective word. You might think that evidence is damning, others might not. Clearly two jury members were sufficiently concerned as to not agree. Little alarm bells should be going off, perhaps unanimous verdicts should be required in situations like this where there is no direct hard evidence that the accused murdered the victim?

I was a juror for a murder trial a couple of years ago. It had to do with a man who was stabbed to death in the middle of the street during a row that got out of hand, with onlookers. We watched him get stabbed to death on CCTV.

I won't get into the details for a few different reasons, some of which are obvious, but it was pretty clear cut what had taken place and that his not guilty plea was nonsense. And yet we deliberated for three days, with two jurors reluctant to find him guilty. We eventually asked the judge for an interpretation of a particular aspect of the law. He did and then said he would accept a majority verdict. We debated for another couple of hours and our next vote was unanimous that he be found guilty. Like the Quirke trial the sentence was mandatory life imprisonment.

The fact that two jurors dissented in a circumstantial evidence case like Quirke's doesn't surprise me at all, it shouldn't ring any alarm bells to be honest. Most people are decent and part of that decency is a cautiousness in making a decision like that - people are afraid of getting it wrong, no matter how much evidence you put in front of them. That was the problem for our jury.

When we realised we had a verdict, three of the women jurors burst into tears. Over jailing someone who murdered another human being over nothing. I wouldn't do it again in a hurry but it's probably the most interesting thing I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭gk5000

Have to trust the jury who listened to all the evidence presented.

It is amazing how many people who were NOT in the courtroom disagree.
    Think it can only be appealed on a point of law. It's not like our second chance referendums here when you dont like the results.

Served on a jury three times. Was called recently but was excused (Hallelujah) due to my recent hearing difficulties.

The foreman/woman on a jury can be an issue. Just saying. You can read into that what you wish, but anyone who puts themselves forward as foreman/woman is of a certain personality type, let me put it that way. And it can be very difficult to sway things sometimes.

Just my observation and my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭wassie

gk5000 wrote: »
    Have to trust the jury who listened to all the evidence presented. It is amazing how many people who were NOT in the courtroom disagree.
    Agreed - a lot of opinions are based on what the media feeds us. If you want a truly informed opinion, spend a year reading the court transcript and all of the evidence.

wassie wrote: »
    Agreed - a lot of opinions are based on what the media feeds us. If you want a truly informed opinion, spend a year reading the court transcript and all of the evidence.

Where would one get the court transcript? Is it available to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

I detested the way the media constantly referred to the victim’s DJ name every time they mentioned him. It had nothing to do with the case.

This was grating on me every time it was mentioned. Rte reporters were constantly calling him by that name. I'd expect it from The Sun, not from our national broadcaster.

His name was Bobby Ryan.

I think even though much of the evidence was circumstantial, there was enough of it to prove his guilt. Glad the family have closure. I'd love to know why Patrick Quirkes wife stood by him. He was riding the sis in law and carried on like a ****ing love sick puppy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kneemos wrote: »
    Not a shread of evidence.

Circumstantial evidence is still evidence. An awful lot of it can be used to secure a conviction, as was the case here. There comes a point where a large amount of circumstantial evidence becomes pretty damning in the eyes of the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

This was grating on me every time it was mentioned. Rte reporters were constantly calling him by that name. I'd expect it from The Sun, not from our national broadcaster.

His name was Bobby Ryan.

I think even though much of the evidence was circumstantial, there was enough of it to prove his guilt. Glad the family have closure. I'd love to know why Patrick Quirkes wife stood by him. He was riding the sis in law and carried on like a ****ing love sick puppy.

I liked the fact they referred to him as Mr.Moonlight, more of a personal touch as opposed to any old name you or i have. It gives the impression (to me anyway) that he must have been an amicable character too. I think the children said good mr moonlight earlier today so they obviously had no problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You'd be surprised what can be recovered from hard disks that have been supposedly "wiped". Or for that matter, computer history that your average user thinks they've erased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I dunno. He was a dairy farmer in his fifties from rural Tipp. He probably thought he had wiped it by deleting his search history and that that's all he had to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement