Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notre Dame fire conspiracies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Think it’s been widely reported that an electrical fault was the most likely cause. But hey never know. Could be those illuminati lads up to their old tricks as well.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Think it’s been widely reported that an electrical fault was the most likely cause. But hey never know. Could be those illuminati lads up to their old tricks as well.

Yeah saw that - The official sources have been reported as saying that the fire started at the base of the spire and was caused most likely by a 'electrical short-circuit', with the 'temporary elevators' in use by the restorers being suspected as being responsible and the rapid nature of the fire spread was as a result of a 'computer glitch' which had misreported  where the fire was

This despite it also being claimed that the investigation would take months, there is no electrical supply in the roofspace, the elevators were not in in use at the time of the fire and the power connections used by the contractors had all been switched off and the key to same handed back to cathedral staff.

Yesh all that makes sense ....

http://time.com/5574252/notre-dame-cathedral-stable/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah saw that - The official sources have been reported as saying that the fire started at the base of the spire and was caused most likely by a 'electrical short-circuit', with the 'temporary elevators' in use by the restorers being suspected as being responsible and the rapid nature of the fire spread was as a result of a 'computer glitch' which had misreported  where the fire was

This despite it also being claimed that the investigation would take months, there is no electrical supply in the roofspace, the elevators were not in in use at the time of the fire and the power connections used by the contractors had all been switched off and the key to same handed back to cathedral staff.

Ah ok. Must be illuminati so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It could be "anything", we have to await the results of the pre-determined investigation apparently ;)

• Advertisement

Sure wasnt I exactly agreeing with you in that sentiment :rolleyes:

And of course wot you said is exactly backed up by what the newspapers are saying ...

It all makes perfect sense and sure we all know that

Did you happen to miss the sarcasm lol ...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

Yeah saw that - The official sources have been reported as saying that the fire started at the base of the spire and was caused most likely by a 'electrical short-circuit', with the 'temporary elevators' in use by the restorers being suspected as being responsible and the rapid nature of the fire spread was as a result of a 'computer glitch' which had misreported where the fire was

and those elevators were nowhere near the spire anyway, apparently…something doesn’t add up and someone must be talking bs there…

and those elevators were nowhere near the spire anyway, apparently…something doesn’t add up and someone must be talking bs there…

Would you almost rule out electrical at this stage?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Would you almost rule out electrical at this stage?

I could not possibly rule out anything, not my job anyway and I’m not there to see with my own eyes; I’m just getting conflicting info and am wondering how it all would go together, for example how a fire at the base of the spire in connection with the elevator can happen if the elevator is meters away and power switched off etc., all based on the different clips and articles posted around here in the past few days…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I could not possibly rule out anything, not my job anyway and I’m not there to see with my own eyes; I’m just getting conflicting info and am wondering how it all would go together, for example how a fire at the base of the spire in connection with the elevator can happen if the elevator is meters away and power switched off etc., all based on the different clips and articles posted around here in the past few days…

So when the people whose job it is issue their report - after seeing the situation with their own eyes, and basing their decisions on information from the site rather than internet speculation - will you accept it?

Or will you say, "Sure, the investigators say this, but this youtube video says that, so I guess it's a mystery"

If the report differs from some youtube speculation, will you read the actual report, or rely on youtube summaries?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    So when the people whose job it is issue their report - after seeing the situation with their own eyes, and basing their decisions on information from the site rather than internet speculation - will you accept it?

Or will you say, "Sure, the investigators say this, but this youtube video says that, so I guess it's a mystery"

If the report differs from some youtube speculation, will you read the actual report, or rely on youtube summaries?

Ray - what's your take on the fire? Have you pre-decided what's happened or are you waiting for the report on the investigation? Will you accept that? Do you think Youtube 'summaries' have some special significance perhaps? Could you explain a bit more about that ....

Ray - what's your take on the fire? Have you pre-decided what's happened or are you waiting for the report on the investigation? Will you accept that? Do you think Youtube 'summaries' have some special significance perhaps? Could you explain a bit more about that ....

I expect the report to be conclusive.

From what I've heard so far, the most likely explanation is that the fire was accidental - restoring buildings that old is inherently risky.

Most Youtube videos are produced by cranks and grifters, to be consumed by idiots. A useful timesaving heuristic is to assume that anyone pointing you to a video on Youtube as support for their position is a moron.

(as a medium it is designed for rhetoric rather than logic, and the presentation of misleading edits and fakery instead of primary sources)

There are four kinds of people in this world: cretins, fools, morons, and lunatics…Cretins don’t even talk; they sort of slobber and stumble…Fools are in great demand, especially on social occasions. They embarrass everyone but provide material for conversation…Fools don’t claim that cats bark, but they talk about cats when everyone else is talking about dogs. They offend all the rules of conversation, and when they really offend, they’re magnificent…Morons never do the wrong thing. They get their reasoning wrong. Like the fellow who says that all dogs are pets and all dogs bark, and cats are pets, too, therefore cats bark…Morons will occasionally say something that’s right, but they say it for the wrong reason…A lunatic is easily recognized. He is a moron who doesn’t know the ropes. The moron proves his thesis; he has logic, however twisted it may be. The lunatic on the other hand, doesn’t concern himself at all with logic; he works by short circuits. For him, everything proves everything else. The lunatic is all idée fixe, and whatever he comes across confirms his lunacy. You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense, by his flashes of inspiration, and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars…There are lunatics who don’t bring up the Templars, but those who do are the most insidious. At first they seem normal, then all of a sudden…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

From what I've heard so far, the most likely explanation is that the fire was accidental - restoring buildings that old is inherently risky.

But.... but..... Muslims

I expect the report to be conclusive. From what I've heard so far, the most likely explanation is that the fire was accidental - restoring buildings that old is inherently risky.
    Most Youtube videos are produced by cranks and grifters, to be consumed by idiots. A useful timesaving heuristic is to assume that anyone pointing you to a video on Youtube as support for their position is a moron.(as a medium it is designed for rhetoric rather than logic, and the presentation of misleading edits and fakery instead of primary sources)

Good for you.

Well a quick check of the thread shows very very few posting YouTube videos (or as you call them "morons') - so that should make you happy. The only dodgy videos making claims seemed to have been sourced from Twitter afaik.

So do you reckon YouTube content such as news reports with film footage from the BBC etc or detail of the building work by the scaffolding company are in your words
    are produced by cranks and grifters, to be consumed by idiots. A useful timesaving heuristic is to assume that anyone pointing you to a video on Youtube as support for their position is a moron. (as a medium it is designed for rhetoric rather than logic, and the presentation of misleading edits and fakery instead of primary sources)
    ?

That would be an Interesting point of view btw. Do you think that YouTube is all a big conspiracy then?

So do you reckon YouTube content such as news reports with film footage from the BBC etc or detail of the building work by the scaffolding company are in your words

You could try reading what I said again if you didn't understand it the first time.
    That would be an Interesting point of view btw. Do you think that YouTube is all a big conspiracy then?

No, and I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

You could try reading what I said again if you didn't understand it the first time. No, and I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

Yup. I did thanks - though no problem I'd you dont wish to answer the question asked.

Its a valid point though- you went on at length about YouTube videos (and those using same - being "morons") and there's bugger all YouTube stuff in this thread - just thought I'd point that out. No worries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Two fires started at the same time

W1ll1s wrote: »

Looks like a right-wing blog trying to pin the blame on Muslims with nothing but hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A women accused of trying to blow up Notre Dame was convicted and imprisoned for another crime two days before the fire.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack/ar-BBVT5nJ

Looks like a right-wing blog trying to pin the blame on Muslims with nothing but hope

Huh? Can you please elaborate...?

Huh? Can you please elaborate...?

No need, unless you think it isn't a blog post on some right-wing site

No need, unless you think it isn't a blog post on some right-wing site

Just took a brief look and while the site contains amongst other content a section for blogs - the piece was written by:
    John Dietrich is a freelance writer and the author of The Morgenthau Plan: Soviet Influence on American Postwar Policy (Algora Publishing).  He has a master of arts degree in International Relations from St. Mary's University.  He is retired from the Defense Intelligence Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.

Are you saying that if a site appears either 'left wing' or 'right wing' in terms of political thought - it should be automatically dismissed? Why is that?

Edit: Under the "About Section" it details that American Thinker is also a discussion forum.
    AmericanThinker.com is a community for the civil and thoughtful discussion of issues. AT is not a chatroom, it is a discussion forum. Comments are moderated. AT reserves the right to delete any post for any reason, at any time. When commenters violate comment rules their posting privileges are revoked. AT is a privately owned publication. Publishing a comment on American Thinker is a privilege, not a right.

Are you saying that if a site appears either 'left wing' or 'right wing' in terms of political thought - it should be automatically dismissed?

Nope

John Dietrich is a freelance writer and the author of The Morgenthau Plan: Soviet Influence on American Postwar Policy (Algora Publishing). He has a master of arts degree in International Relations from St. Mary's University. He is retired from the Defense Intelligence Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.

A freelance writer who self-published his own book, and whose other posts on that site show a much greater familiarity with the usual right-wing talking points than with fire investigation.

Is there any reason to think he knows any more about the fire than any randomer on boards? If not, why link to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

My pet goat did it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Two fires started at the same time

I said weeks ago it was a conspiracy and was laughed at.
    Since then we have seen separate attacks on Christian churches around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I said weeks ago it was a conspiracy and was laughed at.
    Since then we have seen separate attacks on Christian churches around the world.

You're still being laughed at, and for good reason too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

You're still being laughed at, and for good reason too.

Your not laughing now

Advertisement