Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Plastic campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think the 'Buy one get one free' is a major problem.

Definitely a problem for perishable goods.
    I reckon many of us don't plan ahead on what to do with the 'extra' items, and should freeze where possible or store better (cook up and freeze etc...).

It's such a disposable society we live in, from clothes, electronics and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Definitely a problem for perishable goods.
    I reckon many of us don't plan ahead on what to do with the 'extra' items, and should freeze where possible or store better (cook up and freeze etc...).

It's such a disposable society we live in, from clothes, electronics and food.

I was thinking recently about the advantages of bulk cooking/food preparation.
    Health Benefits:
    Better portion control. No snacking while waiting for dinner to cook.

Time Benefits:
    Less work mid week, just defrost/heat.
    Less time spent preparing lunches.

Finance Benefit:
    More cost effective.

Environmental Benefit:
    Less waste.

And yet, most people don't do it, me included. Really is something I must get in to doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    I think people misunderstood me. If you want to recycle do it quietly and I’ve no problem with that. Just like you wouldn’t ram your religious views down somebody throat, don’t ram your views on plastic down somebody’s throat.

Because it's a crisis and people aren't aware how grave it is.
    People need to be informed, educated, encouraged to act. Even coerced to act. Including the politicians.

Every week I read some new article - in a daily newspaper, not an academic journal - about plastic contaminating the oceans, being found in humans, in the food chain, in bottled water, in soil samples, on remote hill-tops carried there by the wind. It will poison us! It probably is poisoning us. Not to mention the danger to animals.

I'm sorry if you're bored of people banging-on about plastics. It has to be done.
    In a way I can understand apathy stopping someone taking action but complaining that other people are taking action? Well, that's not rational or in your own self-interests.

In addition:
    As for recycling: Recycling on its own is an inadequate response.
    The mantra is "Reduce , Re-use, Recycle". The first two 'R's being of greater benefit. Many people are far too complacent thinking their recycling is good enough. It's not.

BTW. Well done for one of the the most viewed threads in the forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Because it's a crisis and people aren't aware how grave it is.
    People need to be informed, educated, encouraged to act. Even coerced to act. Including the politicians.

Every week I read some new article - in a daily newspaper, not an academic journal - about plastic contaminating the oceans, being found in humans, in the food chain, in bottled water, in soil samples, on remote hill-tops carried there by the wind. It will poison us! It probably is poisoning us. Not to mention the danger to animals.

I'm sorry if you're bored of people banging-on about plastics. It has to be done.
    In a way I can understand apathy stopping someone taking action but complaining that other people are taking action? Well, that's not rational or in your own self-interests.

In addition:
    As for recycling: Recycling on its own is an inadequate response.
    The mantra is "Reduce , Re-use, Recycle". The first two 'R's being of greater benefit. Many people are far too complacent thinking their recycling is good enough. It's not.

BTW. Well done for one of the the most viewed threads in the forum.

Actually, the first R is REFUSE, then reduce, re-use.

Refuse the plastic in the first place. Do not buy products wrapped in plastic.

Reduce the use of plastic. It is not needed for most applications. Why is a six pack of beer wrapped with a piece is string like plastic, and then shrink wrapped in plastic?

Re-use the packaging - but that is hard because there is so much of it. There are only so many plastic bottles one can use.

Recycle - but that is difficult because manufacturers mix plastics so that they cannot be recycled. e.g. Laminated plastics with foil on one side are not recycled - (crisp packets).

We need to get the producers to re-think their packaging. A new basic approach - it has worked with a lot of products like Easter eggs, and TVs.

More needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

The big issue in my opinion is single use plastic which gets discarded immediately, such as packaging, one time use plastic cups, PET bottles, etc. Plastic itself is a fantastic material in that it is light, strong and cheap to produce. The world we live in today would not be the same place if we did not have thermoplastic technology. Nearly every single thing that we use in our modern everyday lives has plastic in it. There is no escaping that.

I was in China recently at a factory where they use injection molding to make plastic products (not single use), and it warmed my heart to see there was no single use plastic cups beside the drinking water dispensers, rather every staff member had their water bottle there. It struck a chord with me. A country like China seems much further ahead of us on such topics, whereas popular opinion would tell you that China is a big polluter, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'll join a beach clean-up but can I be taught instead of schooled. I think I've mastered the basics of picking things up so I've a head start.

Hi two wheels good, my post wasn't directed at you, nor did I quote you. It was aimed at the OP that thinks people avoiding plastic are bandwagoning. Further more, I meant schooled regarding the damage that single use plastic is causing as in he'll see it first hand, I've every confidence you'd be capable of picking things up.

Point me at a website please. Cork/West Cork area

http://cleancoasts.org/ If you google individual beaches close to you with "cleanup" you should get more hits like The Myrtleville Coastal Action Group. There's a lot of Facebook groups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was thinking recently about the advantages of bulk cooking/food preparation.
    Health Benefits:
    Better portion control. No snacking while waiting for dinner to cook.

Time Benefits:
    Less work mid week, just defrost/heat.
    Less time spent preparing lunches.

Finance Benefit:
    More cost effective.

Environmental Benefit:
    Less waste.

And yet, most people don't do it, me included. Really is something I must get in to doing.

Unfortunately we live in a world were people want convenience.

It's the number 1 priority for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hi two wheels good, my post wasn't directed at you, nor did I quote you. It was aimed at the OP that thinks people avoiding plastic are bandwagoning. Further more, I meant schooled regarding the damage that single use plastic is causing as in he'll see it first hand, I've every confidence you'd be capable of picking things up.

http://cleancoasts.org/ If you google individual beaches close to you with "cleanup" you should get more hits like The Myrtleville Coastal Action Group. There's a lot of Facebook groups too.

Our little beach does it all on the quite. There is a spot just off the main road which isn't easy to see that the local lad from the council will take any rubbish collected up and left there from the beach. Make it public and the world and his wife would be dumping their rubbish there.

If that fails another local has permission from the council to take collected beach rubbish into the local recycling centre for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

my3cents wrote: »
    Our little beach does it all on the quite. There is a spot just off the main road which isn't easy to see that the local lad from the council will take any rubbish collected up and left there from the beach. Make it public and the world and his wife would be dumping their rubbish there.
    Fair enough. Local fly tipping and dumping is a huge problem in certain areas, our beach doesn't suffer too much from it. Best not to make it public it if you have that sort of stuff going on in the area. Most of the stuff collected by us is washed up on the high tide, particularly on storm surges.
    If that fails another local has permission from the council to take collected beach rubbish into the local recycling centre for free.
    That's the case on all beach clean ups. Usually the council will send someone down to pick up all that's collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

skallywag wrote:
    I was in China recently at a factory where they use injection molding to make plastic products (not single use), and it warmed my heart to see there was no single use plastic cups beside the drinking water dispensers, rather every staff member had their water bottle there. It struck a chord with me. A country like China seems much further ahead of us on such topics, whereas popular opinion would tell you that China is a big polluter, etc.

As a whole, I'd imagine China probably is one of the world's largest polluters due to its economic setup, but it does sound like they're taking it seriously, with major investments in renewables

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

I realise that. Just my gentle ribbing at the adoption of americianisms and my attempt at humour.
    Will investigate that website. Cleanups are very satisfying activities - and there are usually free biscuits provided.

People point the finger of blame at China for environmental damage and use it as an excuse for inaction. But they fail to acknowledge that a significant part of China's carbon footprint is producing consumer goods for consumers elsewhere. So China's carbon footprint must be shared, to some degree, with western consumers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

People point the finger of blame at China for environmental damage and use it as an excuse for inaction. But they fail to acknowledge that a significant part of China's carbon footprint is producing consumer goods for consumers elsewhere. So China's carbon footprint must be shared, to some degree, with western consumers too.

And the first step is to stop buying € shop rubbish that often breaks before it leaves its excessive packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's a waste of time and like trying to hold back the tide dealing with this issue.

Not alone is there the throwaway plastic problem, there's also the plastic coming off the tyres of your car as they wear down. Also micro-plastics come off your clothes as they are washed in washing machines. How do you stop these cases?

The future is to avoid seafood altogether or farm seafood in labs that are known to be plastic free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

salonfire wrote: »
    It's a waste of time and like trying to hold back the tide dealing with this issue.

Not alone is there the throwaway plastic problem, there's also the plastic coming off the tyres of your car as they wear down. Also micro-plastics come off your clothes as they are washed in washing machines. How do you stop these cases?

The future is to avoid seafood altogether or farm seafood in labs that are known to be plastic free.

Sounds like a defeatist approach.

First step - refuse the plastic - dn't buy products wrapped in platic or single use plastic.
    2nd Step - reduce the use of plastic.

Those two steps would help.

Sounds like a defeatist approach.

First step - refuse the plastic - dn't buy products wrapped in platic or single use plastic.
    2nd Step - reduce the use of plastic.

Those two steps would help.

More of a realism approach I would have thought.

I agree with what you are saying but I read elsewhere about the plastic that's now embedded in the rubber of car tyres and our clothes.

Once I heard about the plastic run-off from these sources, I ask myself how can we stop the pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That's right, we should only eat food produced in labs and and breath air from cylinders. This sort of defeatist attitude sucks.

salonfire wrote:
    Once I heard about the plastic run-off from these sources, I ask myself how can we stop the pollution.

Pressurise our manufacturing and production systems to come up with alternative materials which are not as harmful

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pressurise our manufacturing and production systems to come up with alternative materials which are not as harmful

Manufacture of car tyres is driven by safety.

If plastic was found to be the best compound to use, then that's what will be used.

If this alternative material was better/safer than plastic, it would have been used already

There is no way that plastic can be removed entirely. However, if the use of plastic was reduced by a large percentage, the problems arising from its use would be greatly reduced.

Prediction is that the use of plastic will increase by 40% over the next decade. What is needed is a REDUCTION of plastic use over the next decade. Single use plastic, like cups, bottles, straws, wrappers, etc. should be stopped. Plastic wrappers do keep some foods fresher for longer, but most just keep products together for ease of marketing by supermarkets.

Action is needed now, locally and globally.

• Advertisement

Manufacture of car tyres is driven by safety.

If plastic was found to be the best compound to use, then that's what will be used.

If this alternative material was better/safer than plastic, it would have been used already

not entirely true, partially of course, strangely enough, just sometimes, profit maximisation is actually the key driver in materials used during manufacture of our goods

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

There is no way that plastic can be removed entirely. However, if the use of plastic was reduced by a large percentage, the problems arising from its use would be greatly reduced.

Prediction is that the use of plastic will increase by 40% over the next decade. What is needed is a REDUCTION of plastic use over the next decade. Single use plastic, like cups, bottles, straws, wrappers, etc. should be stopped. Plastic wrappers do keep some foods fresher for longer, but most just keep products together for ease of marketing by supermarkets.

Action is needed now, locally and globally.

Well put, Sam. Plastic is a great material, but must be restricted to long-life multi-use products. I place orders for plastic housings for the company I work for. Our product should last a lifetime if used and maintained correctly, so I feel that the plastic used is being put to good use. However, even though I have pleaded with the Chinese supplier not to, each housing comes wrapped in its own completely superfluous plastic bag - a useless and time-consuming pollutant. We are just a small company, so it's horrifying to think this is being replicated in thousands of bigger companies. I shall keep trying to get the message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

One change I've tried to make recently is to try to eliminate polyester from any clothing purchases.

More and more brands are doing sustainable ranges, so if I need something I'm trying to use those ranges first. (H&M Conscious collection, Zara Join Life range etc.)

I'm also trying to be discerning in what new clothes I buy and only shop if I really love something, focusing on quality over quantity and trying to only buy things I'll get lots of wear from.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    not entirely true, partially of course, strangely enough, just sometimes, profit maximisation is actually the key driver in materials used during manufacture of our goods

Well of course companies want to be profitable... Not sure what ground breaking concept you think you have just discovered...

That's why car tyres are designed to be as safe as possible regardless of the materials used impact on the environment.

If a company gets a bad reputation for having inferior products, they won't be profitable for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Weren't we one of the first countries to ban free plastic carrier bags?

No we just did it earlier than the UK. They were long gone in quite a few continental countries at that stage

The biggest sources of plastics could be easily tackled - a lot of it is totally unnecessary. There are other areas where it's harder to avoid but we should be starting by banning the things that would make very little difference and there are loads of these.

Also where plastics are used, they should be more easily recyclable. The volume of multilayer and soft plastics being used is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anteayer wrote: »
    The biggest sources of plastics could be easily tackled - a lot of it is totally unnecessary. There are other areas where it's harder to avoid but we should be starting by banning the things that would make very little difference and there are loads of these.

Also where plastics are used, they should be more easily recyclable. The volume of multilayer and soft plastics being used is ludicrous.

Can you give examples of these?
    I'm not disagreeing with you as such but for the most part, someone has made a decision to use a material which is still costing them money so they are doing it for some reason.

A lot of them are deciding to use them primarily for visual marketing or for convenience of handling.

There are endless examples:

Flow pack plastic multipacks. These are all over supermarkets.
    Use of soft plastic packs for things like pasta can be replaced with paper (manufacturers of some brands already do. Notably the Italian ones).
    Endless use of plastic for fruit and vegetables. Despite all sorts of promises it seems to have actually become worse. None of this is necessary. You can pack fruit in paper / cardboard or not at all.

Items that are all individually packed : various biscuits and so on. These could surely at least move to paper or not packaging at all.

Confectionary in general could be wrapped in paper. It's not long ago Cadburys for example made all their bars wrapped in paper and foil. That was replaced with plastic only a few years ago when Mondelez took over.

Loads of products use shrink wrapped plastic labels which look slicker than paper stickers but are adding to recycling difficulties as they can't be easily separated.

Milk being packed in plastic rather than tetrapak. It's not that many years ago most of us has milk delivered in glass bottles that were collected and rewashed. It only started to fade away in the 1990s

If you walk around any supermarket there are endless examples of plastic where it's totally unnecessary.

There's lots of potential for use of glass rather than plastic bottles too.

Loads of things could be improved without actually much impact at all on quality of life or convenience for customers.

Can you give examples of these?
    I'm not disagreeing with you as such but for the most part, someone has made a decision to use a material which is still costing them money so they are doing it for some reason.

Tetra-pak milk cartons. Single use coffee cups. Plastic straws. Polystyrene packing where cardboard is just as good. Foil/plastic wrappers as used in crisp packets. Multi plastic - that is there is recycle and non recycle plastics combined.

Lots of examples.

The rubbish wheelie bins are made of heavy durable plastic and are a good example of a good use of plastic. I cannot think of a better material for them. Wood? Steel? Aluminium? Cardboard? I don't think so.

• Advertisement

What annoys me is that all the focus is put on consumers somehow being able to capture and recycle this junk and very little pressure is put on industry and retail to use alternative materials or avoid using excessive packaging.

Consumers aren't able to capture and divert all this waste. It has to be controlled at manufacturing level and where plastics are used they need to be easily recyclable. The multi layers of different plastics and most of the soft plastics need to disappear.

Ireland's not only managing not to reduce plastic waste we are generating more per capita than any other EU country which is an absolute disgrace.

Advertisement