Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just makes me feel depressed and sorry for us as a society and species.

I just ignore these opinions, you ll never convince deniers, thankfully there's enough momentum now for action

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

seamusk84 wrote: »
    At least they are out making a point that will hopefully get some notice in the public domain and force politicians to sit up a bit. More power to them even if some of them are treating it as a lark.

We have all seen how messed up the weather has been the past 5 years or so. It’s not going to get any better if we don’t actually take notice.

Good to see this kind of protest happening more and more in Europe. Also great to have the primary/secondary kids out protesting, as they will be the ones suffering in 30 years time.

You are mixing up weather with climate. Weather is only in the short term, as climate is analysed from 30 years out and further. Your thinking that 5 years shows that climate is changing is false. This is just natural weather changes in the short term and obviously the weather will change from year to year.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    To be fair after hours doesn't represent Irish society as a whole. Its worth remembering that reading this thread.

Are you trying to say the majority of Irish society are eco evangelists? Doesn’t look like it to me with all the consumerism.

Nope... But try again.. 0/1 so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I just ignore these opinions, you ll never convince deniers, thankfully there's enough momentum now for action

For many people, their beliefs about climate change (and other things like GMOs, vaccines, guns, etc.) are an expression of their identity, not their knowledge. Things like cultural and political values tend to influence how people interpret the facts about climate change. In fact, knowledge has been shown not to matter much at all. A paper by Dan Kahan at Yale showed that on average, people who do and don't believe in climate change scored similarly well in a climate change quiz. Knowledge is only a small part of this issue. You have people that approximately know the facts, know that 97% of climate scientists agree, but still want to go towards the null hypothesis instead of the overwhelming evidence. This is because it is what they want to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

For many people, their beliefs about climate change (and other things like GMOs, vaccines, guns, etc.) are an expression of their identity, not their knowledge. Things like cultural and political values tend to influence how people interpret the facts about climate change. In fact, knowledge has been shown not to matter much at all. A paper by Dan Kahan at Yale showed that on average, people who do and don't believe in climate change scored similarly well in a climate change quiz. Knowledge is only a small part of this issue. You have people that approximately know the facts, know that 97% of climate scientists agree, but still want to go towards the null hypothesis instead of the overwhelming evidence. This is because it is what they want to believe.

An example of academic twaddle if there ever was one. Worse case scenario we create a better environment not dependent on fossil fuels. We must stop the madness!
    Did he take into account people, who aren't scientists, trusting the scientific community? I mean if you want financial advice you go to a financial expert not study finance yourself. I can safely say I've never been to space but i I do go I'l be sure to pack a helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

An example of academic twaddle if there ever was one. Worse case scenario we create a better environment not dependent on fossil fuels. We must stop the madness!
    Did he take into account people, who aren't scientists, trusting the scientific community? I mean if you want financial advice you go to a financial expert not study finance yourself. I can safely say I've never been to space but i I do go I'l be sure to pack a helmet.

Your stance is a reasonable one, there is spectrum of people though. Some people may be like you apart from certain issues that affect them closely, then they don't give a **** what the science says - their mind is made up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

An example of academic twaddle if there ever was one. Worse case scenario we create a better environment not dependent on fossil fuels. We must stop the madness! Did he take into account people, who aren't scientists, trusting the scientific community? I mean if you want financial advice you go to a financial expert not study finance yourself. I can safely say I've never been to space but i I do go I'l be sure to pack a helmet.

The same financial experts that said house prices never fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobody said they never fall but some didn't believe they would at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You are mixing up weather with climate. Weather is only in the short term, as climate is analysed from 30 years out and further. Your thinking that 5 years shows that climate is changing is false. This is just natural weather changes in the short term and obviously the weather will change from year to year.

Quite correct and expect to hear the mantra re recent weather repeated ad nauseum in order to justify more & more taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I was thinking on that as I typed :)
    Green initiatives are better for us all. Green energy is the way to go. Oil won't last forever, then the same shower can start charging us for being out in the sun or ban private solar panels, which I expect to happen when it comes about. I suppose denis O'Brien jnr. will get a nice fat state contract out of it anyway if it's FG turn to be in at the time.

Carbon/environmental taxes are a complete con unless every cent goes towards green energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Effects wrote: »
    Ah yeah, the completely unbiased and not right wing newspaper, the Sun.

As stated - where you deliberatly missed the bit that the same video was on YouTube before it appeared in de Sun.

Here it is again as you missed that the first time
    Very interesting video. I think you may be correct btw. Lovely types calling the police 'facist pigs". :rolleyes: Can't find the original which I was viewing earlier ...so my apologies in advance - it appears to now be available on the sun website :eek:

If things like cultural and political values really do tend to influence how people interpret the facts about climate change then many of this lot are definitely swimming towards the extreme end of the spectrum tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I am not a climate change denier but I couldn't care less about climate change. I shall never spend a millisecond of my life worrying about it. I'm not totally evil though, I do care about pollution but not because I care about the planet but because I hate filth whether I'm breathing it in or looking at it, such as rubbish dumped on the side of road or scenic places etc etc.

The whole Greta thing is just weird and she reminds me of that girl in The Exorcist. I'm sure the brexit remainers used the tactic of getting kids to speak out as well because it's about *their future*...so obviously they know best, the kids.:rolleyes:

A lot of those protesters in London are fruit cakes. "Our grandchildren won't have any food", I heard them say, lol. I wonder if any of them have started stockpiling yet if they really believe it's that imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

RHJ wrote: »
    I just read today that Germany aims to ban the sale of all internal combustion powered vehicles by the year 2030 we should follow suit.
    Great idea if you hate poor people. Only the wealthy and upper-middle classes can afford electric cars.

Such nonsense would drive (pun semi-intended) the poor and working classes off the road.

Do you hate poor people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

SeanW wrote: »
    Great idea if you hate poor people. Only the wealthy and upper-middle classes can afford electric cars.

Such nonsense would drive (pun semi-intended) the poor and working classes off the road.

Do you hate poor people?

What if the prices come down because of mass manufacturing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What if the prices come down because of mass manufacturing?

Fossil fuels will be with us for a good while yet. Can you imagine the charger chaos if artics went electronic? A fair whack of their payload would be batteries and it wouldn't really be practical to pop into the local car park for a quick recharge, if any were available, unless it fitted into their tachograph rulings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

For many people, their beliefs about climate change (and other things like GMOs, vaccines, guns, etc.) are an expression of their identity, not their knowledge. Things like cultural and political values tend to influence how people interpret the facts about climate change. In fact, knowledge has been shown not to matter much at all.

The "debate" was deliberately framed in this manner by the PR/advertising/lobbyist cabal operating on behalf of the energy companies in order to position it in the same part of peoples' brains that deal with religion etc. I have zero interest or even an ounce of knowledge in the science nor do I listen to arguments about who's a crusty do-gooder etc. The only real question is whether it's a good idea to tear up the earth beneath our feet-literally the only thing we have in the universe-and burn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I just read today that Germany aims to ban the sale of all internal combustion powered vehicles by the year 2030 we should follow suit.

Do you hate poor people?

I most certainly do not hate poor people I am one myself, after all, anyway I'm sure you'll be happy to know that battery costs are decreasing and by next year or the year after they should reach $100 per kilowatt hour which many experts believe is the tipping point for mass adoption as they will be the same cost and maybe slightly cheaper than an ICE car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Do you not agree the the media over exaggerate the problem? Even the alarmists themselves have admitted supplying false data to make things look worse, but let’s ignore all that and carry on believing everything they say.

What? The 'alarmists' Who are they now? And who has admitted to supplying false data to make things look worse?

Nutty youtube scientists like Guy McPhereson, or respected academics and field research scientists publishing in the best journals in the scientific world?

Climate change is unbelievably serious but our governments are dragging their feet and not investing anywhere near the right amount of resources required to address the problem. If causing a few traffic jams and making a nuisance of themselves is what it takes to get governments to commit to taking it seriously, then it's a price well worth paying.

There are EU elections coming up, these protests are well timed to put climate change back on the agenda because it's not something you're going to see anywhere near the top of many election manifestos.

Climate has changed very markedly over the 30 year time frame you referred to.

Global average temperatures are about a half a degree C warmer this year compared to 1989, and about 1 degree celsius warmer compared with the pre-industrial period. this shows that global warming is a long term trend, not simply weather, and it's accelerating with the most warming happening in recent decades with the last 10 years showing a very worrying spike in global average temperatures.

Financial experts aren't climate scientists.

And there were loads of independent experts warning about the crash pre-1998. They were drowned out by the vested interests who were being paid to believe that the property market could only ever go up.

Independent academics and research scientists have been convinced by the evidence for climate change for decades. A small number of ideologues or shills have been critical of climate change science but they do not have the data to back up their opinions, and they should not be given a platform until they have evidence that supports their scientific opinion.

• Advertisement

Carbon/environmental taxes are a complete con unless every cent goes towards green energy.
    Not necessarily.

Ideally, all that money should be ring-fenced for green initiatives, but fundamentally, the point of carbon taxes is to use market forces to change people's behaviour. You make polluting more expensive to make environmentally friendly investments financially worthwhile. When people are thinking about buying a new house, they need to know that spending an extra 10 grand on a house that costs a thousand euros less a year in energy costs makes financial sense. People need to know that when their boiler breaks down and they can either buy a replacement oil burner, or change to some thing less polluting, that the sums add up and they choose the greener option because it makes financial sense for them as well as being better for the environment.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I am not a climate change denier but I couldn't care less about climate change. I shall never spend a millisecond of my life worrying about it. I'm not totally evil though, I do care about pollution but not because I care about the planet but because I hate filth whether I'm breathing it in or looking at it, such as rubbish dumped on the side of road or scenic places etc etc.

The whole Greta thing is just weird and she reminds me of that girl in The Exorcist. I'm sure the brexit remainers used the tactic of getting kids to speak out as well because it's about *their future*...so obviously they know best, the kids.:rolleyes:

A lot of those protesters in London are fruit cakes. "Our grandchildren won't have any food", I heard them say, lol. I wonder if any of them have started stockpiling yet if they really believe it's that imminent.

This attitude towards climate change is why carbon taxes are so important. People that only care about their own standard of life an their own financial well being need to be motivated by market mechanisms to do the right thing.

BTW, food shortages are absolutely one of the major potential consequences of climate change in the coming decades.

You live in a time and a place where you quite probably have never had a single day in your life where you didn't have enough food to eat. If climate change isn't tackled, and global average temperatures increase by 2 or 3 or more degrees, we could face food shortages. Not to mention that a large percentage of the worlds population today already face food insecurity on a regular basis, it's just that it might become worse so that even us privileged people might be impacted by it.

I most certainly do not hate poor people I am one myself, after all, anyway I'm sure you'll be happy to know that battery costs are decreasing and by next year or the year after they should reach $100 per kilowatt hour which many experts believe is the tipping point for mass adoption as they will be the same cost and maybe slightly cheaper than an ICE car.

Technological change that benefits the environment seems to irk people who otherwise love technological change.

Do you hate poor people?
    Just did a very quick check

2011 nissan leaf on sale on donedeal today for €6500
    Not many wealthy and upper middle class people buying cars for €6500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2011/21578428

By 2030 there will be a thriving 2nd hand market for EVs and the batteries will be fully recyclable so buying reconditioned batteries will be much cheaper than todays prices.

The costs of running an EV are way lower than an ICE car, and they can be made in a wide variety of shapes and sizes due to the fewer limitations due to where the engine and drivetrain have to go.

Anyway, in 11 years time, there will probably be fleets of electric self driving cars for hire for a fraction of the price of a taxi, so a lot of people could probably get away with using these rather than having to bother with the massive expense of owning and running their own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

As far as I can see the main proponents of EVs at present are dealers and those with an interest in churning the market to make a quick buck. The technology is just not flexible enough and I don't see anyone coming up with a credible explanation of how all this electricity is to be generated reliably without recourse to oil/ coal or nuclear power stations. Renewables have some contribution to make but nowhere near what is needed on a steady everyday basis.

It's a false message. The only lasting effects will be if citizens drastically change their expectations of consumer goods, food and travel. And who's lining up for that??

Akrasia wrote: »
    This attitude towards climate change is why carbon taxes are so important. People that only care about their own standard of life an their own financial well being need to be motivated by market mechanisms to do the right thing.

Carbon taxes are regressive though, so there needs to be a carrot too.

On air travel you can’t have people swanning around on private jets if normal people are restricted from flying by high taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fossil fuels will be with us for a good while yet. Can you imagine the charger chaos if artics went electronic? A fair whack of their payload would be batteries and it wouldn't really be practical to pop into the local car park for a quick recharge, if any were available, unless it fitted into their tachograph rulings.

Imagine cargo ships and planes in batteries, maybe we could go back to sailing ships and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Financial experts aren't climate scientists.

And there were loads of independent experts warning about the crash pre-1998. They were drowned out by the vested interests who were being paid to believe that the property market could only ever go up.

Independent academics and research scientists have been convinced by the evidence for climate change for decades. A small number of ideologues or shills have been critical of climate change science but they do not have the data to back up their opinions, and they should not be given a platform until they have evidence that supports their scientific opinion.

Only climate scientists have the ability to predict the future up to a century ahead, imagine if financial advisors could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not so fast - the ICE was a major factor in the democratisation of car travel. In particular, cars of the 20th century, especially the 1990s, were basically big lumps of worthless steel, plastic and fabric. Very simple engineering. As a consequence, some cars depreciated to basically nothing while still being nearly as good as new. Especially those old Toyotas, they'd cost €1000-€2000 to buy, their paintwork might have seen better days, their plastic fittings might look a bit shabby, and so on. But they'd get you where you wanted to go, no problem and didn't cost a lot to maintain. I know this from first hand experience.

But even with todays regulations on ICEs that's a lot more difficult. The engineering is much more hifalutin, there's much more than go wrong and is more expensive to fix, and certain parts often require precious metals, more so than in the past, which keeps costs high. As a consequence, if you're a working class person looking for an average 10 year old car, you're going to have to pay a lot more and deal with a lot problems than you might have had to attempting to do the same thing in the last decade.

I view electric cars as a natural extension of this. While the car platforms themselves may be cost effective and may even depreciate beyond their effective usefulness the way 20th century ICE cars did, there is one MASSIVE achilles heel - the battery. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than a fuel tank and it always will be. Batteries may have room for improvement, but I suspect that there is a limit to this room, and that it will be found sooner rather than later.

Just did a very quick check

2011 nissan leaf on sale on donedeal today for €6500
    Not many wealthy and upper middle class people buying cars for €6500
    Not many people have €6500 lying around the back of their couch. At any rate, for that money I suspect its batteries are in ****e. So, expensive and probably useless.
    By 2030 there will be a thriving 2nd hand market for EVs and the batteries will be fully recyclable so buying reconditioned batteries will be much cheaper than todays prices.

The costs of running an EV are way lower than an ICE car, and they can be made in a wide variety of shapes and sizes due to the fewer limitations due to where the engine and drivetrain have to go.
    Great. When you can guarantee a working class person an EV that's nearly as good as new despite being 10 years old for almost nothing - the way you could with 1990s ICE cars in the noughties - then - and only then - it's time to talk about banning ICEs.

• Advertisement

Its well meaning i'm sure.

Advertisement