Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliability of new model Insignia?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone know about the reliability of the new model insignia? Sister in law went from a 09 Insignia which had terrible reliability issues to surprisingly enough another Insignia, a brand new one.

Was sitting in it today and it's a lovely car, lots of toys. Maybe Opel have improved it after the troublesome 1st model.

Driving one at the moment as a temp company car and love it. The improvements are vast over the older model

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Insignia is a very good car - loads of them driving around that have done very high mileage. They are no less reliable than any other similar type of car out there. The latest "facelifted" version is bland looking compared to the earlier design. Opel cars, particularly the larger models, tend not to hold their value that well. You could say the same about Renault, Ford and Fiat who all produce great cars. The fact of the matter is that there are no longer any cars being produced that could be described as bad or unreliable because standards of engineering and design have evolved to a uniformly high standard across the motor industry.

I put nearly 150k kms in the old model trouble free. It was main dealer serviced on the button. SRI model, great car that was

Crazy that they don't seem to have rectified things with the new model - was a good opportunity to repair the brand and get some good word out.

Would be hard to see them releasing a 3rd gen version.

Who says they haven’t ? What’s going on with the new one?

Next model will a 508 clone or an SUV type care like the new Citroen C5.
    Opel seem to be recovering under Peugeot but again using that stupid “made in Germany” marketing when they only produce one car there

New one is very economical as well, for a big car it sips fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cordell wrote: »
    A proper rebuild will take care of that if possible, or else discard the engine for scrap.

That's the problem, people are replacing shells on engines that should be scrapped and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭CoBo55

road_high wrote: »
    I put nearly 150k kms in the old model trouble free. It was main dealer serviced on the button. SRI model, great car that was

Servicing isn't the problem, unless the sump is dropped and the seal replaced on the pickup pipe you're playing russian roulette. As someone posted earlier compared to other engines it isn't a huge job but it's the only guarantee that the engine won't self destruct. No point in doing anything after the warning appears as the damage is already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    But is the new model actually giving any trouble?

That's what I would want to know too. Ironically I see a lot of new insignia models on the road. Well, I mean a lot more, then I expected. So clearly people still go for them.
    In higher specs if does look very nice. They have some petrol engine too.
    Thing is, that a demo or 1-2 year old one is a lot better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I have a 2011 Sri vauxhall insignia and I’ve 180k on it now. Hasn’t given me any trouble at all but I have gotten her serviced fairly regular.
    I’ve only recently heard about this suspect oil seal so I mentioned it to the main dealer. He said not to worry unless the oil pressure warning light comes on.
    I’m starting to wonder now. He did mention it could cost about €500 to do as you’ve to drop the sump etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's the wrong advice - you indeed have to worry when you get the warning light, but not about the seal.
    Check the oil pressure with a pressure gauge, or better yet change the seal regardless, it's about time in both years and mileage.

Now, this makes it look like a bad car, but really it isn't, it's a perfectly manageable problem that will not occur with proper checks and preventive maintenance. There are cars out there with much bigger problems, for which both checking and preventive maintenance is hugely expensive.

The cost quotes seems ok for a dealer, sump needs to be dropped.

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    I have a 2011 Sri vauxhall insignia and I’ve 180k on it now. Hasn’t given me any trouble at all but I have gotten her serviced fairly regular.
    I’ve only recently heard about this suspect oil seal so I mentioned it to the main dealer. He said not to worry unless the oil pressure warning light comes on.
    I’m starting to wonder now. He did mention it could cost about €500 to do as you’ve to drop the sump etc.

It’s unfortunate the flaw is there, because otherwise I think both Insignias are very good cars in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They are not the only ones that have engines prone to catastrophic failure, but compared to other cases the preventive maintenance while not cheap is not very expensive and quite accessible to DIY if you know what you're doing and have the proper tools. Unlike, let's say, BMW N47 failures.

It can be done when getting the timing belt changed so it's not that a massive job outside of scheduled maintenence. Even then it's still a bit of a pita.

The older model from SRi trim upwards I still think is a nicer car than the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The fact of the matter is that there are no longer any cars being produced that could be described as bad or unreliable because standards of engineering and design have evolved to a uniformly high standard across the motor industry.

This thread : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057951592/1/#post109295479
    would be just one that would fly in the face of your all new cars are better theory.

And the post#8 by Gorteen here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057972313/1/#post109922666
    is another example.

And all this before anyone mentions M47 N47 engines etc...

My point is, the Insignia can't be any worse, or at least if similar. ....keeps good company.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

galwaytt wrote: »

And all this before anyone mentions M47 engines etc...

The m47 is a triumph of engineering by Bavarian Motor Works. ;)

The n47 on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The m47 is a triumph of engineering by Bavarian Motor Works. ;)

The n47 on the other hand...

Lolz.

Apart from swirl flaps et al ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

<SNIP>
    You could say the same about Renault, Ford and Fiat who all produce great cars. The fact of the matter is that there are no longer any cars being produced that could be described as bad or unreliable because standards of engineering and design have evolved to a uniformly high standard across the motor industry.

Ah, come 'ere now ...

I think a more honest claim will be that Insignia has some reliability issues, but all of them manageable at reasonable costs; and there are other models from bigger and better brands that have even worse issues.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Lolz.

Apart from swirl flaps et al ;)

Mere auxiliaries :P

swirl flap ingestion can affect a lot of engine auxiliaries, like head valves and pistons :)

swirl flap ingestion can affect a lot of engine auxiliaries, like head valves and pistons :)

That's the joke.

*McBain voice*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The Holden Commodore is one of the most popular in Australia and that is essentially an Insignia

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only the current (new) model as the previous Commodore were different cars altogether. The first generation Insignia was sold as the Holden Insignia in Australia before the new one became the Commodore. They also don't buy the diesel versions of either there too.

The Holden Commodore is one of the most popular in Australia and that is essentially an Insignia

What happens the Holden make with Opel now gone from GM? They really used to mirror the GM Europe cars but obviously that won’t be the case going forward. Not familiar with the US Chevrolet range but I’d imagine a big SUV focus

With the same 2.0 diesel?

With the same 2.0 diesel?

Imagine it’s mainly petrol out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What happens the Holden make with Opel now gone from GM? They really used to mirror the GM Europe cars but obviously that won’t be the case going forward. Not familiar with the US Chevrolet range but I’d imagine a big SUV focus

It's currently a combination of cars from Canada (Chevrolet), Europe (Opel), Korea (formerly Daewoo) and Japan (Isuzu). They don't make any cars in Australia anymore. Something like the Malibu could replace the Insignia easily enough, Chevrolet do still make saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Imagine it’s mainly petrol out there?

Mostly petrol yeah. 2.0 turbo and 3.6 V6 but you can get a 2.0 diesel, all automatic.

I've had a quick spin of a turbo petrol and its a nice car to drive.

Not too many of them on the roads however in comparison to the VF Commodore.

Mostly petrol yeah. 2.0 turbo and 3.6 V6 but you can get a 2.0 diesel, all automatic.

I've had a quick spin of a turbo petrol and its a nice car to drive.

Not too many of them on the roads however in comparison to the VF Commodore.

The Insignia is a big car but the Commodore previously was always a more Omega sized motor wasn’t it? I think the new Insignia is a quality car suffering a bit from the previous ones reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

road_high wrote:
    The Insignia is a big car but the Commodore previously was always a more Omega sized motor wasn’t it? I think the new Insignia is a quality car suffering a bit from the previous ones reputation

It always has been a good car but the new design is very bland looking in comparison to the older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thats right, late 90s and early 00s ones were based on the Omega platform.

Advertisement