Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reach peak LGBT nonsense?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Varta wrote: »
    But society is putting up with it. Calling out Folau is nothing. It does nothing to tackle the source of the hate. There is a massive reluctance to tackle the hate, most likely because to do so would clash with people's own superstitions.

Or, more accurately, it isn't within the mandate of Australian rugby to tackle the source of hate globally. :rolleyes:

Perhaps all they can do is something small, like keeping their player's hate in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Once again, nobody is being fired for having a belief. If that was the case, he would have been fired last year. Everyone already knew he had those beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Once again, nobody is being fired for having a belief. If that was the case, he would have been fired last year. Everyone already knew he had those beliefs.
    Yea, but why let facts get in the way of a good "pc gone mad/wont someone think of the poor oppressed bigots" rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,857 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oppressed bigots? We are not talking about bigots, we are talking about a religious man who thinks that drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters will all end up in hell unless they repent.
    A lot of guys on here seem to believe that he was only talking about gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

As a drunk and an atheist I have no problem with Folau expressing his opinion.
    And I haven't heard of any thieves, fornicators, adulterers or idolators complaining about him either.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oppressed bigots? We are not talking about bigots, we are talking about a religious man who thinks that drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters will all end up in hell unless they repent.
    A lot of guys on here seem to believe that he was only talking about gay people.
    Saying that gay people deserve any type of torture for being gay is bigotry.
    Equating being gay to lying and stealing is bigotry.
    If they are his religious beliefs, then is beliefs are bigoted.
    They do not become not bigoted by virtue of being genuinely held or being religious in origin.

People can split hairs all they like, but that is what is being discussed here.

I don't think this guy who is spreading memes condemning people to eternal torture is one for nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you believe being gay is equivelant to being a liar or a thief? Everything on that list is a choice bar being gay. Its not the same situation at all.

Does your support for players free speech expend to everything? should they be supported if they decide to post thier opinions that black people are inferior and they hope they go to hell? Or start calling all muslms suicide bombers? Sure theyre only words.

In your concern for dressing room harmony , how do you reckon a load of bigots and racists being allowed to air their views will help that along? Do you really think there are no gay top level professional footballers? Or that there are but they keep it to themselves. Possibly gay people just arent good at football? Or maybe, and mush more likely, because they dont feel comfortable coming out due to attitudes? Same goes for Rubgy and other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,857 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you believe being gay is equivelant to being a liar or a thief? Everything on that list is a choice bar being gay. Its not the same situation at all.
    No I dont believe it's the same thing. I'm not supporting his views, I'm saying he is allowed to have them and to say it.
    Does your support for players free speech expend to everything? should they be supported if they decide to post thier opinions that black people are inferior and they hope they go to hell? Or start calling all muslms suicide bombers? Sure theyre only words.
    Who is talking about supporting them? I'm simply saying it's ok to speak your mind. It's fine to disagree with somebody's thoughts to.
    In your concern for dressing room harmony , how do you reckon a load of bigots and racists being allowed to air their views will help that along? Do you really think there are no gay top level professional footballers? Or that there are but they keep it to themselves. Possibly gay people just arent good at football? Or maybe, and mush more likely, because they dont feel comfortable coming out due to attitudes? Same goes for Rubgy and other sports.
    This is a mess.
    Lots of what I'd call awful stuff goes on in a dressing room. It's not a place for the faint hearted.
    I'm sure there are as many adulterers as there are gay people in his dressing room.
    I understand where you are coming from as regards you are born gay and the other things are by choice or addiction.
    I think religion is a bit different though, it's drilled into a lot of people at a young age, and then there are those weak people who are identified and brainwashed into these beliefs in their late teens or early twenties or even later in some cases.
    You mightn't like their beliefs but you have to respect that they have the right to hold them.
    I believe everybody should have the right to air their views so long as they do it peacefully. I believe that if everybody is allowed air their views that we can have conversations and hopefully change minds.

By the way anybody who despises the views of another is a bigot. So all those castigating Folau's views are bigots.

hating on other people doesnt make him not a biggot

The verbal gymnastics and whataboutary to defend this eejit on this thread is a laugh if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Why is it that any time some bigot says something bigoted and experiences some consequences from an organisation that it gets spun into a free speech issue? Whether it's Gemma O Doherty, Alex Jones, Tommy Robinson or some other upstanding citizen, the refrain is the same. The free speech concerns might be a bit more believable if there was some concern shown for the rights of an organisation to express themselves as an organisation.

Instead, the free speech philosophers hold off on advocating for free speech until a bigot suffers some consequences.

By the way anybody who despises the views of another is a bigot. So all those castigating Folau's views are bigots.
    So by your definition Folau is a bigot?:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm not supporting his views, I'm saying he is allowed to have them and to say it.

hes allowed to have them....

hes not allowed to broadcast them as an employee of a company, whose stated inclusion policy says:
    "Pride in Sport is Australia’s only sporting inclusion program which helps sporting organisations and clubs with the inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) employees, players, volunteers and spectators.

Rugby Australia is a Foundation Member of Pride in Sport and works with them to ensure all Australians are able to enjoy our great game.

This means improving all aspects of LGBTI inclusion, achieving best practice as bench-marked by the Pride in Sport Index and creating better health outcomes for LGBTI workers, players, coaches, referees, volunteers and fans through creating inclusive spaces which remove homophobia, stigma and discrimination."

do you STILL not understand why he cannot broadcast his extreme religious views as an emplyee of a company who holds the above ethos .....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hes allowed to have them....

hes not allowed to broadcast them as an employee of a company, whose stated inclusion policy says:

do you STILL not understand why he cannot broadcast his extreme religious views as an emplyee of a company who holds the above ethos .....

well, he can

he just gets sacked

why ppl confuse this with free speech is a mystery to me

Everything on that list is a choice bar being gay. Its not the same situation at all.
    So what.
    Do gays think they have an exclusive right to have a hissy fit because they are so precious and special?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

recedite wrote: »
    So what.
    Do gays think they have an exclusive right to have a hissy fit because they are so precious and special?

Where is your evidence that 'gays' actually had anything to do with this?

This is between an employee and his employer.
    An employer who made clear their stance on inclusivity and previously warned the employee that he was in breech of their anti-discrimination policies.
    He then repeated the offence for which he received that warning.
    So they sacked him.

Jazuz - some people aren't happy unless they are blaming the gays... or the Muslims... for other people thinking they can do exactly as they please even when they have been warned of the consequences.

Why is it that any time some bigot says something bigoted and experiences some consequences from an organisation that it gets spun into a free speech issue? Whether it's Gemma O Doherty, Alex Jones, Tommy Robinson or some other upstanding citizen, the refrain is the same. The free speech concerns might be a bit more believable if there was some concern shown for the rights of an organisation to express themselves as an organisation.

Instead, the free speech philosophers hold off on advocating for free speech until a bigot suffers some consequences.

Breeda O'Brien fake crying on the radio was the low point. Basically when you run out of things to say, you have to say 'they're picking on me'. As a gay man I find this comical, gay people have been persecuted for such a long time, now that they have nominal acceptance in the western world, homophobes are crying for a whambulance when their sh1te gets challenged.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    .. even when they have been warned of the consequences.
    We all know what the consequences are; outrage and a social media campaign that will ultimately hit the sponsor financially.
    I take your point that it may not actually be the gays, it may be social justice warriors being outraged on behalf of the gays.

God knows, there are enough of them on this thread.

Why do they never stand up for us drunks? :mad:

So what.

It's the phobes having a screaming hissier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Its not simple stuff, because seamus here keeps conflating things like employment law, sexual harassment and incitement to hatred with the much more vague "reputational damage" that might "get you in trouble".

It's simple stuff until you start obfuscating, deflecting and engaging in whataboutery. But that's the intention, I guess.

People get fired all the time for doing things that their employer told them to stop doing. I know that defending that is tricky but your attempts to confuse the issue as some kind of leftist conspiracy against the right to free speech is very transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We all know what the consequences are; outrage and a social media campaign that will ultimately hit the sponsor financially.
    I take your point that it may not actually be the gays, it may be social justice warriors being outraged on behalf of the gays.

God knows, there are enough of them on this thread.

Or - and this may be a bit mad - but it may be an organisation saying "right, this guy was warned already. Our policies are clear. He knew what he was doing. Enough is enough. If we don't act then we are hypocrites."

The only outrage I am seeing is from those who are trying to defend a grown man doing the very thing this employers told him not to do and getting canned as a result.

If you want to stand up for drunks go right ahead.

not sure i personally qualify as an sjw but just for meself the gays are a great bunch of lads who have done wonders for the coffee selection available in d8 and stoneybatter and dont cost me a penny afaict

drunks pay less tax per capita and are more likely to make nonsense arguments on message boards*

*based on a small but pungent sample available

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cgcsb wrote: »
    Breeda O'Brien fake crying on the radio was the low point. Basically when you run out of things to say, you have to say 'they're picking on me'. As a gay man I find this comical, gay people have been persecuted for such a long time, now that they have nominal acceptance in the western world, homophobes are crying for a whambulance when their sh1te gets challenged.

Bigots screaming victim for being called bigots, gotta love it! Don't know if you've read Dante's Inferno, but you feel that Breda, Waters and that Quin fella deserve a special level in the pit all to themselves for all that good work they've done. Shít, just condemned someone to hell. Just as well I'm an atheist and don't believe in that nonsense. Ah well, no harm then.... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Check out the shít list Rec, us drunks had better get used to the smell of sulfur too it would seem. Atheist too? Maybe throw some hot tar and feathers over the top for good luck. You gonna burn, baby....

smacl wrote: »
    Check out the shít list Rec, us drunks had better get used to the smell of sulfur too it would seem. Atheist too? Maybe throw some hot tar and feathers over the top for good luck. You gonna burn, baby....
    Yeah I know, that's why I said I qualify on 2 counts.
    But I'll still defend his right to free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He has free speech nobody took that away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Knock knock, anything getting in there?

Nobody is stifling his free speech, he’s free to say what he likes, how many times does this have to be explained to you?

salmocab wrote: »
    He has free speech nobody took that away
    Well, he can have free speech and be unemployed alright.
    Or he can keep his job and lose the free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

He hasn’t lost any rights though has he? If one of my employees came out with this ****e after a warning they’d be in the same position, more time on their hands to keep spouting their ****e.

He has a right to free speech not a right to employment from the ARU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The employer also has rights, nowhere in the world does free speech mean you can say anything without any repercussions from anybody.

Advertisement