Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Merry Fooking Christmas - Satan Kills Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Kelly's Heroes.

On now, cable tv.

A work of Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

A Shoe Addicts Christmas (on youtube) is fun to watch!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The teacher at S's school read The Polar Express shortly before Christmas so S now knows that some people don't believe in Santa. Thankfully, it's probably better to hear that some people don't believe in Santa while half listening to a story where they are immediately proven wrong than to have an older child state that Santa isn't real and have to stew on that until school ends for the day!:pac:

So the upshot is that next year we can watch Elf! So that will be fun. A lot of cinemas around us had special screenings of Elf in December so fingerscrossed they'll do it again and we can watch it in style!

Still won't be watching Miracle on 34th Street though. It's a lovely movie and Richard Attenborough is a fantastic Santa but even at 17 I thought it had a very disappointingly ambiguous ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

iguana wrote: »

Still won't be watching Miracle on 34th Street though. It's a lovely movie and Richard Attenborough is a fantastic Santa but even at 17 I thought it had a very disappointingly ambiguous ending!

Funnily enough watched this again the week before christmas and was disappointed watching it, wasnt as near as good as i remembered & the kids got bored before it was half way in, suspect it'll be dropped from our pre christmas film fest for this year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched its a wonderful life on stephen's day, 4 out of 10. You could half the build up and lose nothing.

Jude13 wrote: »
    We watched its a wonderful life on stephen's day, 4 out of 10. You could half the build up and lose nothing.

Ah, shame you didn't like it. But hey if we all liked the same things life would be boring :)

We watched it Christmas Eve after the kids went to bed (that's our traditional time to watch it) & I still love it. I appreciate its not everyone's cup of tea but for me its the greatest Christmas film ever made. Genuinely think it'll never be surpassed in my lifetime.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The first time I watched it, a couple of years ago, I wasn't too keen. But I watched it again on Christmas Eve and really enjoyed it! It was the colourised version on TV which was weird!

I've never been a fan of Miracle on 34th Street either. Too much court room drama for a Christmas film. :/

Posy wrote: »
    The first time I watched it, a couple of years ago, I wasn't too keen. But I watched it again on Christmas Eve and really enjoyed it! It was the colourised version on TV which was weird!

I've never been a fan of Miracle on 34th Street either. Too much court room drama for a Christmas film. :/

Agree on the colourised version. I'd seen it about 5 or 6 times in B&W & when that odd colourised version came up when I bought the DVD I thought it looked weird, thankfully the DVD had both options so we stick to the B&W one now.

I didnt even know there was a black and white one, we did not have that option. The main characters constant shouting was not up my street. He reminded me very much of that era's Nicholas Cage.

• Advertisement

Finished watching Winter Castle on youtube.

It's not so much a Christmas movie as a winter wedding story, but for a Hallmark movie, the leading star is surpisingly believable - cute movie!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ever wonder what happened to the actor who played Marv in home alone?

Wonder no more....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Having discovered them only last Christmas (and thanks to this Forum), I found this article fascinating:
    https://www.glamour.com/story/what-its-like-on-the-set-of-a-hallmark-christmas-movie

Yay !
    Disney Reportedly Planning A New ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ Movie
    https://www.screengeek.net/2019/02/13/the-nightmare-before-christmas-disney-new-movie/

"Last Christmas" movie coming up this year.
    Emma Thompson is both acting and screenplaying.
    Out in UK 15 November 2019
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8623904/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

otnomart wrote: »
    "Last Christmas" movie coming up this year.
    Emma Thompson is both acting and screenplaying.
    Out in UK 15 November 2019
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8623904/

Otnomart- take you a bit of a movie fan/buff?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Otnomart- take you a bit of a movie fan/buff?
    Guilty as charged m'Lord

I will give it a look, not a fan of Emma Thompson though.

"Miramax has secured the film rights to I Won’t Be Home For Christmas, a holiday film written by Lauren Iungerich, who is also set to direct the feature as her first directorial outing"
    "The plot centers on sixteen-year-old Grace who is given the golden ticket to forgo having to spend the holidays with her crazy family and instead go skiing with her new boyfriend"

Warning
    do not open the link if you don't want to read the rest of the plot !

https://deadline.com/2019/03/miramax-i-wont-be-home-for-christmas-lauren-iungerich-1202582007/

Musical A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish, now filming in Vancouver

• Advertisement

"Hallmark Channel's 2019 Christmas Movie Lineup Will Be Its Biggest One Yet"
    "Hallmark Channel will debut 40 new Christmas movies in 2019, shattering their previous record of 33, which they set in 2018. "
    https://www.bustle.com/p/hallmark-channels-2019-christmas-movie-lineup-will-be-its-biggest-one-yet-so-prepare-for-major-merriment-17013521
    I discovered them only last year and thanks to this Forum ! Thanks guys !

The Grinch was on an Emirates flight I was on last week, I was tempted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Grinch was on an Emirates flight I was on last week, I was tempted.

And I hope you indulged! I've heard nothing but good things about the animated remake, I might have to give it a watch this weekend!

I went to the cinema before Christmas to see it and really enjoyed it. I will scan the listing for the flight today and see if there are any more Christmas movies. I have a exit row seat this flight so its a pop out from the arm rest tv so not great. I was hoping to get sleep on the plane with the extra leg room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I was hoping to get sleep on the plane with the extra leg room.

Sleeping tablets, Jude! The only way to get a kip on a plane - I can never sleep on a plane, I think it's the lack of feeling movement. Put me in a car and I'd be asleep before we get to the bottom of the road :o

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Sleeping tablets, Jude! The only way to get a kip on a plane - I can never sleep on a plane, I think it's the lack of feeling movement. Put me in a car and I'd be asleep before we get to the bottom of the road :o

I'm way ahead of you, some valium and Im sorted.

I just checked and the following Christmas movies/albums will be on my flight:
    Kiwi Christmas - kids movie about saving Santa
    The Man who invented Christmas - about dickens
    A Christmas gift for you from Phil Spector.

Now should I have a look/listen....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The Man Who Invented Christmas is on Netflix... think it's the only festive film I didn't get to watch last year! It's on my list. :)

Hallmarks Christmas in Evergreen on youtube is a sweet watch while sick in bed tonite.

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie? Smithsonian Scientist Weighs In
    Smithsonian paleontologist, Hans Sues, answers the question
    from 1.26
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2019/04/12/die-hard-christmas-move-smithsonian-scientist-weighs/

• Advertisement

Netflix has boarded Studiocanal and Blueprint Pictures’ Santa Claus origins movie “A Boy Called Christmas,” which has just started shooting.
    Jim Broadbent, Kristen Wiig, and Sally Hawkins will star.
    The film follows an ordinary young boy called Nikolas, who was born on Christmas Day.

Don't open the link if you don't want to read the spoilers
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/netflix-a-boy-called-christmas-jim-broadbent-sally-hawkins-maggie-smith-kristen-wiig-studiocanal-blueprint-1203189563/

I like both Jim Broadbent and Sally Hawkins - so am looking forward to this one !

Advertisement