Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Might pop down at some stage and try their burritos. I recall them advertising for staff a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xckjoo wrote: »
    According to their website, Vocho are based in "the heart of the East Village on Foster Street". Did anyone ever hear of the East Village area in Galway before?!

Never heard "East Village" used before but we can thank the marketing team behind the "Latin Quarter" for this kind of thing. It seems to work well when done properly though. Businesses work together to improve the area and we all (hopefully) benefit. The areas covered by the Latin Quarter and West End are all nicer now than they were when it was just a collection of streets and businesses.

Have the new restaurants on Middle Street been mentioned? There's a sandwich bar and restaurant where Vina Mara used to be and Umbrella Tapas opposite Charlie Burns.
    Umbrella tapas has been there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is Umbrella Tapas gone?
    Sorry no. I meant opened
    Umbrella tapas has been there a long time.
    My bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »
    Have the new restaurant on Middle Street been mentioned? There's a sandwich bar and restaurant where Vina Mara used to be

Yeah I mentioned seeing signs up for Papaz Bistro a few weeks ago. Opened late last week i think. They also have a place in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

here is the latest on it in today's Connacht Tribune - March 1, 2019

https://connachttribune.ie/e200m-crown-square-plans-revised/

The figure that jumped out for me was this line
    "
    The office element alone would cater for a total workforce of 3,150 people.
    "

Planning granted
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/crown-square-granted-planning-approval/
    "
    Planning approval has been granted for the first stage of a €200 million Crown Square office, hotel, and housing development in Mervue
    A planning application was submitted to the city council for five office blocks ranging from three to six storeys above ground level and a 175 room hotel.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

J o e wrote: »
    New Mexican restaurant opened on Forster Street - Vocho.
    https://www.vocho.ie

The lads from McAllinden's/Carroll's are behind that. They had to make a couple of attempts to get PP but it's sorted now. Smart family. Should work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's difficult to stick to the topic in this informational thread.
    I have created a chat thread to see if it can help the signal to noise ratio in this info thread.

So - this INFO thread is to let others know of a shop you have yourself seen opened or closed.

The other CHAT thread is to ask questions, or chat, that doesn't directly have to do with when does the shop open/close, or opening hours etc.

You may quote posts from this thread into the chat thread to ask your off-topic questions.

Neither thread will allow hearsay or speculation about staff or owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    I have created a chat thread to see if it can help the signal to noise ratio in this info thread.

So - this INFO thread is to let others know of a shop you have yourself seen opened or closed.

The other CHAT thread is to ask questions, or chat, that doesn't directly have to do with when does the shop open/close, or opening hours etc.

You may quote posts from this thread into the chat thread to ask your off-topic questions.

Madness.... Just have one thread and allow chat. Naturally no hearsay etc. Boards gets quieter and quieter every day. ..... Moderation like this really annoys a lot of people. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Madness.... Just have one thread and allow chat. Naturally no hearsay etc. Boards gets quieter and quieter every day. ..... Moderation like this really annoys a lot of people. ....
    Multiple posts of the same thing opening are constantly happening eg Lidl, DFS to name but two. This is happening more and more because the thread is clogged with far too many unnecessary questions/chat. A welcome intervention imo.

The problem with info/chat approach is that the thread is full of chat/asks about other things as you can see in the broken out chat thread.
    I don't mind having some chat in this thread but tbh it detracts from the topic and I keep getting reports that the chat is ruining a great information thread - hence the division into two threads which is used in other forums and seems to work..

So as you see, some posters wants information and some wants chat.
    We'll try the separate approach a while and see how that works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭maniac2003

The problem with info/chat approach is that the thread is full of chat/asks about other things as you can see in the broken out chat thread.
    I don't mind having some chat in this thread but tbh it detracts from the topic and I keep getting reports that the chat is ruining a great information thread - hence the division into two threads which is used in other forums and seems to work..

So as you see, some posters wants information and some wants chat.
    We'll try the separate approach a while and see how that works out.

I see my post was deleted :(:confused: :P

maniac2003 wrote: »
    I see my post was deleted :(:confused: :P
    Yes, because you did not contribute to the discussion in any way, but merely said "Moderation gone mad, power really does go to some peoples heads".
    Not very helpful for this thread is it, just an attack on me.

Back on topic folks please, opening and closing shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Havery norman knocknacarra 25/03/19
    ELxHmnG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

GOBUS
    New Ballina to Galway City Route

https://www.gobus.ie/Ballina
    "
    commences on 1st April 2019, with a total of 5 services daily, Monday to Sunday.
    "
    here is the timetable
    https://www.gobus.ie/dp.php?c=ballina&t=galway-to-ballina-timetable&id=51

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Creamery in Salthill is closed for five weeks for a major refurb. Will reopen as a cafe, icecream parlour and bistro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Signage going up early this morning for "Five Guys" where Foot Locker was on Shop Street / William Street. Apparently they've been working on it inside and they're opening the front part as a free pop-up at lunch today to announce the news, then closing for a few weeks to complete the fit-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There are 33 thanks to this post, can the mods here not just undo the stupidity of having 2 threads when its obvious that the majority of the users of the board only want 1 thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

David Martin Hairdressers in Kingston are closing down in a couple of weeks. They are just going to have the two branches in town in Dock Street and Eyre Square Centre.

As it appears the majority wants a mix thread I have created one here.
    We tried something, the majority opposed it, mods agreed.
    Please keep new thread on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement