Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name the cliques of Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Oops69 wrote: »
    The runners forum is an echo chamber , don’t dare criticize the Dublin city Marathon , all the pacers are all over that forum .

Same in the cycling forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes, I was quite sure there was some funny business going on in a thread this morning, but was afraid to say so directly because of a possible ban.

I guess it depends on the subforum and mods in it, but you were probably better off. The same mod that banned me and loved to tell people "if you have a problem with a post, report it" also bragged over PM about not actually caring about or taking any notice of reported posts. Like I said, whatever keeps the post count up in this day and age... ;)

Peatys wrote: »
    Same in the cycling forum.
    To be fair, as someone who rarely cycles nor drives I never could understand the sheer obsession so many drivers have with cyclists. And while not entirely, it is for the most part a one way obsession. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Leitrim crisis actors, who continue to push their false narrative that Leitrim is a place that exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There are definitely groups of posters who always seem to appear in certain threads whenever "their" side is attacked. Applies to politics or political parties, NI or the UK (or related topics), Immigration, Welfare etc.

The Motors forum was already mentioned, but again it's a group who follow each other from thread to thread carrying the same chat and arguments with them. Very off-putting to new(er) users who are often made fun of for asking a question.

Accommodation seems very hostile to tenants in general as well.

Then there's a few forums where the regulars and moderators take themselves and their corner of boards.ie FAR too seriously and this is reflected in the micro-managed, unwelcoming environment they create.

All that said though to be honest it's still mostly a decent site for discussion and information as long as you bear stuff like the above in mind and ultimately don't take it too seriously - it is after all JUST a forum.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's the most hilarious thing I think I've ever read on here.

Maybe in the "funny cos it's true" sense. Go check all the threads and posts on ah about cycling lists from drivers, then check the same a out drivers from cyclists and get back to me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a mad genius to this post, utterly proving everything Billy86 says while still managing to have a go at cyclists.

It's absolutely brilliant, almost like a work of Dadaism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

An obvious one for me is the gun lovers who appear every time there's a mass shooting in America (every few weeks basically). Two of them casually talk about their gun collection in between mass shooting outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

These threads always start with a pseudo earnest public interest slant but quickly become a competition to see who can take a pop at people they don't like as vaguely as possible as to avoid censure :D

People have been moaning about cliques for years but it's inevitable. People that agree and like with each other will obviously interact more with those people.

Don't see the point of getting worked up about it, even if the matey chat can be a bit annoying. I would say, in my past experience, albeit not now, a lot of friendly circles are based around private forums. Again, it's a fact of life and you're never going to stamp it out.

If the users are mods, they're going to give their mates an easier time. In fact, it'd be weird if it didn't happen. You're never going to stop it so it's best not to worry too much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dunno about cliques, but there are a few posters, that no matter the thread will bring FG or leo into it, it's like they have a hive mind.

I'd be more wary of the few who feel their word is sacred and can not be challenged and whoa betide anyone who thinks they can challenge them. A few of them floating about in the soccer forum who are a little too invested in a football club.

You're eh, well you're not doing much to disprove my point about motorists' obsession with cyclists. :p

I tend to walk, and while it's close to be honest if anything I've had more issues with motorists than cyclists. But they're really much of a muchness; orderly transport is not something that mixes well with the Irish psyche (the single worst example by a mile in my opinion is escalators though, and not anything that happens on the roads).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As a long-term poster there I understand the perception of cliques within the Cycling forum, and indeed I have witnessed this myself, certainly in the past

The point about the forum is that many posters know each other in real life, and a real community feel permeates the forum. That probably appears very cliquish to non-regulars. I would though put a different slant on it. Indeed I think it's one of the forum's great strengths and is why it remains one of the most popular forums on the site

There are a hell of a lot of very constructive posters within the forum, and indeed (as happened when I joined Boards), newbies can find a wealth of useful information and helpful posters within the forum

The problem then is we get seagulls dropping by to have a whinge telling people they must wear hi viz and/or helmets, or accusing cyclists of breaking the law by going through red lights, riding at night without lights and the like. What many fail to realise is these topics have been done to death, so posters get pointed to megathreads where they can see discussion on the same topics over the past few years.

On the issue of law-breaking, I think you will find the vast majority of forum regulars are very critical of such actions - similar to somewhere like the Motors forum

However we still have people dropping by and starting the same old arguments, often in the full knowledge they will wind up posters who have seen the same sort of thing time after time. It's dealt with by a simple rule - no relentless negativity is allowed. Yes valid criticism is fine, but some posters simply have an issue with cyclists however law-abiding the majority may be.

So if a strong thriving and helpful community is considered cliquish then the Cycling forum certainly fits that definition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Schoolteachers. I seen the most bizarre post when the schoolteacher did the murder suicide on his wife and kids. (Alan Hawe?) and a teacher said

“It just highlights the struggles and pressure teachers are under these days”

Seems a lot of civil service type social welfare employees are here too.

And of course feminists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That clique, that consists of just one member, and his crusade against the current neoliberism and the virtues of the teachings of Noam Chomsky.

Vomits the same thing day after day.

There is definitely an anti-feminist leaning to AH

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

Schoolteachers. I seen the most bizarre post when the schoolteacher did the murder suicide on his wife and kids. (Alan Hawe?) and a teacher said

Seems a lot of civil service type social welfare employees are here too.

And of course feminists.

- Absolutely ridiculous comment! Bizarre to say the least....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Those werewolf people are bit weird. Best avoided. All that stabbing and betrayal is messy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The re-reg trolls

They’re some pricks in fairness.

Balanadan wrote: »
    They’re some pricks in fairness.

You think they have an annual get together, like a union meeting or AGM?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Those werewolf people are bit weird. Best avoided. All that stabbing and betrayal is messy.

You take that back or I'll set the hounds, I mean... the clique... I mean...

Wolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I was posting in a thread the other day about Dublin and virtually every single poster who wasn't throwing grapes of praise at the capital were swooped down upon and berated with personal attacks. It was most disconcerting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Sinn Fein/PPP bots. Need to realise if the revolution didn t happen in the 1920s, its never gonna happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I was posting in a thread the other day about Dublin and virtually every single poster who wasn't throwing grapes of praise at the capital were swooped down upon and berated with personal attacks. It was most disconcerting.

You kinda led off with some vast generalisations yourself, bubba.

Necro wrote: »
    You take that back or I'll set the hounds, I mean... the clique... I mean...

Wolf.

Definitely the SK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You kinda led off with some vast generalisations yourself, bubba.

Were you one of those lads posting in that other thread? You need to cop on to yourself and stop trying to rile me up, following me around from thread to thread like a beggar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The League of Ireland clique over on the soccer forum. Admonishing and looking down on people who prefer to watch Premiership football over travelling to a shed on a cold night to stand around with a load of fat bald lads in Adidas runners while looking at a shower of long ball merchants hoof it about. Bohs fans appear to be the worst of them all.

Advertisement