Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiev, Ukraine

Options
  • 04-02-2019 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    Heading to Kiev at the end of the month.
    We won't be going to Crimea or any "unstable" region, but for anyone that has been to Kiev, how is it security wise ?
    We won't be going out on the piss, so will be pretty cautious at all times.
    What about money ? is credit cards accepted everywhere ? should I bring some Ukrainian money just in case ?

We are going to Chernobyl for a day trip too, but it is organised and we'll have a guide.
    Not too worried about the old "glow in the dark" ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Heading to Kiev at the end of the month.
    We won't be going to Crimea or any "unstable" region, but for anyone that has been to Kiev, how is it security wise ?
    We won't be going out on the piss, so will be pretty cautious at all times.
    What about money ? is credit cards accepted everywhere ? should I bring some Ukrainian money just in case ?

We are going to Chernobyl for a day trip too, but it is organised and we'll have a guide.
    Not too worried about the old "glow in the dark" ...

I can’t offer any advice but I’d be really interested to hear more about the Chernobyl trip when you get back as it’s somewhere that I’ve wanted to visit for a while. Please post back here about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Heading in May myself, any recommendations would be great. Going to do a day tour of Chernobyl as well. Decided to go with this group due to very positive reviews: http://www.chernobyl-tour.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Was there last March; no security issues whatsoever. Protests in the central square are more an issue, and there was some random police checks in town blocking off streets as a result. But Donbass is miles away - Dublin to Germany kind of distance. No practical security impact on Kyiv.

Very friendly people; head down a local pub some evening and you may get chatting to locals.

Use an ATM to get money; many smaller places (eg subway shops - and the subway itself I think) will be cash only. Also, the balance of my Chernobyl tour was cash only.

In terms of recommendations - the Lavra complex is a must; the underground shrines, the churches (head into mass some day; you can pop in and out at leisure - it's what the locals do) and the miniature museum.

The victory monument of course, though the exhibits inside are all in Ukrainian. Great view from the top

Wouldn't bother with the Chernobyl museum; it's all in Ukrainian again and you'll hear it all on the Chernobyl tour (which is a must - maybe even a two-day trip)

The Gorodetsky House is amazing, though there was a police block last year stopping me getting to it.

On the island in the river is a miniature Kyiv, with small-scale replicas of its notable building; kinda cool.

There's a great Georgian restaurant on a corner of Maidan, the central square - cheap too.

If you like football, take in a Dynamo Kyiv game; bit weird to be in a 90%+ empty stadium for a match too

The subway stations are predictably great; some of the escalator trips last five minutes

Above all, just wander around; some of the architecture is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ukraine is a very interesting country.

I've been to Chernobyl twice, amazing trip - definitely worth doing.

There's a lovely little city called Lviv that's worth visiting too. About 6 hrs by train from Kiev or a cheap internal flight (if you go with Motor Sich airlines, they use amazing small turboprop planes that you wouldn't see usually anywhere else!)

The metro is cheap and reliable, easy to get around the city.

Never felt unsafe during my time there at all.

Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Kevski wrote: »
    I can’t offer any advice but I’d be really interested to hear more about the Chernobyl trip when you get back as it’s somewhere that I’ve wanted to visit for a while. Please post back here about it!

Yes I will !
    and thanks all for the great posts!

One more thing, I want to bring my good camera (Canon 5D III) - should be fine yeah as long as I am discreet ?

I think I'll get insurance just to be sure ...

• Advertisement

Yes I will !
    and thanks all for the great posts!

One more thing, I want to bring my good camera (Canon 5D III) - should be fine yeah as long as I am discreet ?

I think I'll get insurance just to be sure ...

Yeah, you won't have a problem at all with photography. People in the Ukraine generally mind their own business. People can come off as quite 'cold' and a bit unfriendly but that's just their culture I think.

Yeah, you won't have a problem at all with photography. People in the Ukraine generally mind their own business. People can come off as quite 'cold' and a bit unfriendly but that's just their culture I think.

Yeah, I found the same with Germans, but lovely people under the hard exterior.

Definitely bring a proper camera for Chernobyl anyway; there are areas you can look at but can't go into (some of the buildings have started to collapse), and there are communist propaganda signs on top of some of the buildings, which a mobile phone zoom simply won't do justice to.

As for on the street - yeah, just bring a backpack and keep it in there. Kyiv is just a normal European city; there's nothing inherently more dangerous about taking a photo in Kyiv than there is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irska1700

I would like to have more info about places to stay there and general about public transport, saving tips.
    Can you wrotte about your trip after you come back.
    Thank you.

We stayed at the new Ibis at Kiev Railway Station which was a very handy location, few mins from the metro station and 1 min walk from where our Chernobyl tour picked us up. Was only about €50 a night and was lovely, brand new building so everything was immaculate.

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-A034-ibis-kiev-railway-station/index.shtml

We used Chornobyl-Tour both times we visited and they were very good. https://chernobyl-tour.com/english/

• Advertisement

Hotel Ukraine in the centre of town was grand; as central as you could get and great views over the main square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I ended up renting an apartment for a few days when I was staying there. Was pretty dirt cheap. I never used a credit card there tbh. Spent a grand total of about 60/70 when I was there. One warning. If converting to local currency. Aim low as it's a pain in the ass to change it back and I didn't manage to with my remainder.

Chernobyl Tour is superb, be sure to talk lots to the tour guides. They told me some great stories about their youth and weird antics that going to Ukraine entails. You can also do tours of Yanukovych's house.(When I was there it was just a guy who took over the house who was doing the tour)
    https://greentourua.com/tours/mezhyhirya-residence-tour/

In Kiev, be sure to go to Babi Yar, the Great War Museum(Massive statue that has a museum within it, it's very cold war), the Catacombs. The latter has a lovely bakery near the top of them.

Only thing I'd be careful of is street sellers, they sell a load of fake tat. You'll see lots of supposedly Nazi era cameras etc. You'll see street acts such as people dressed as animals. Walk the other as they will try to extort you after taking a photo with them. There's guys with monkeys who do the same.

But in terms of feeling safe, I did. Metro is really cool to go around in as it's very Soviet era. Loads of shops etc within the Metro system too. Food is lovely. Try to go with a few words of Ukrainian though as it's pretty challenging to get around without the language.

If you're into aviation or Soviet era planes there's an amazing little-known aviation museum a few mins from the city centre. A few cents to get in and some amazing aircraft.

http://aviamuseum.com.ua

If you're into aviation or Soviet era planes there's an amazing little-known aviation museum a few mins from the city centre. A few cents to get in and some amazing aircraft.

http://aviamuseum.com.ua

That is top of our list!! :D

A colleague was telling me that cops are very corrupt and try and bribe you for money ?

anyone can confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 propenda

A colleague was telling me that cops are very corrupt and try and bribe you for money ?

anyone can confirm ?

Hi, i am from Kiev. Its not true.

also you can visit Mezhygirya National Park(Yanucovich house)
    http:// www. mnp. org.ua/contacts/?lang=en

Park Kiev Rus - http :// parkkyivrus. com/en

https ://www. google. com/maps?ll=50.424356,30.69214&z=17&t=m&hl=uk&gl=UA&mapclient=embed&cid=6229173674877131177
    tanks cemetery

anyone can confirm ?
    Didn't encounter it myself anyway. Even when being turned away at the police checkpoint in front of the Gorodetsky house (and trying to play tourist-dumb and just walk through anyway)

(It turns out it's now used as the Presidential residential building actually, which would explain the police checkpoints - similar to Downing Street in London. You can just about see it from the checkpoints, or you can just look at the picture below)

house_with_chimers1.jpg

https ://www. google. com/maps/place/%D0%9A%D0%B8%D1%97%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%8C%D0%BA%D0%B0+%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%86%D1%8F/@50.4343139,30.5276967,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc67381c8cfcd2304!8m2!3d50.4343139!4d30.5276967

Kyiv fortress

• Advertisement

anyone can confirm ?

Great! Enjoy it!!

Nope, been twice and never experienced anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Have intentions of visiting myself.

If you want to catch up with Ukrainian history, I did, and be grateful for "a little overpriced children's hospital " let me recommend "Borderland - a journey through the history of Ukraine by Anna Reid " The book is right up to date, 2015. Not normally one for history books, but found it easy to read.

The slaughters, pogroms, forced collectivisation, and violent political corruption is of a magnitude that beggars belief.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote: »
    Have intentions of visiting myself.

If you want to catch up with Ukrainian history, I did, and be grateful for "a little overpriced children's hospital " let me recommend "Borderland - a journey through the history of Ukraine by Anna Reid " The book is right up to date, 2015. Not normally one for history books, but found it easy to read.

The slaughters, pogroms, forced collectivisation, and violent political corruption is of a magnitude that beggars belief.

Just ordered that book - thanks, looks excellent!

Just back.
    Wow, I don't know where to start!
    Fantastic trip !
    Great city.
    None of my concerns were true, people were nice (serious though but not rude!)
    The tour to Chernobyl was probably the most fascinating tourist thing I have ever done!

I will collect my thought and post more info later or over the next few days - I have a stupid amount of photos to process too.
    I will post links to them too!!

All in all 10/10.

Just back.
    Wow, I don't know where to start!
    Fantastic trip !
    Great city.
    None of my concerns were true, people were nice (serious though but not rude!)
    The tour to Chernobyl was probably the most fascinating tourist thing I have ever done!

I will collect my thought and post more info later or over the next few days - I have a stupid amount of photos to process too.
    I will post links to them too!!

All in all 10/10.

Brilliant to hear Tom, heading in May myself and have nothing planned so far bar the Chernobyl tour so will be interested to hear how you got on :)

Who did you book the Chernobyl tour with out of interest ?

Who did you book the Chernobyl tour with out of interest ?

I actually haven't booked it yet, planning to do so this week. I'm going to go with http://www.chernobyl-tour.com/ as I read a great write up on them online and they're also rated #1 on tours on tripadvisor so they seem like a good bet.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I actually haven't booked it yet, planning to do so this week. I'm going to go with http://www.chernobyl-tour.com/ as I read a great write up on them online and they're also rated #1 on tours on tripadvisor so they seem like a good bet.
    OK we used https://www.tourkiev.com/

And could go into buildings in Prypiat (sp) .. a lot of them won't go into buildings - soon I guess all of them will be banned, floors about to go etc..

OK we used https://www.tourkiev.com/

And could go into buildings in Prypiat (sp) .. a lot of them won't go into buildings - soon I guess all of them will be banned, floors about to go etc..

Ah cool, thanks, I'll check them out. I think the group I linked does the same as the review I read said that they went into some buildings that they're not technically supposed to that other tours wouldn't.

Also, if you have any recommendations for restaurants, bars, museums etc in the city I'd love to hear them. I've not booked accommodation but I think I'm going to go for an Airbnb apartment that's very central (about 5 minute walk to Maidan) and has great reviews (and very affordable).

• Advertisement

Coming soon, i will write more details about the city and the trip ...

edit - is there a problem with quoting on boards.ie ?

Advertisement