Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Navy a disgrace?

Options
  • 28-02-2019 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Well discrace is probably a bit OTT but you get my drift.

When theyre not assisting illegal aliens to enter Europe theyre hassling Irish fishermen for the benefit of foreign fleets.
    The most recent act of eneptitude involves inexplicably arresting two northern fishing vessels where a long-standing gentleman's agreement has allowed reciprocal fishing rights. This will also undoudtably effect already strained relations with the north and UK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Works both ways, I know a lad who got a few years in prison for fishing in UK waters not far from today’s incident.

It’s not the Navy’s job to decide the laws, it’s not them you have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

They look great when their caps are at a jaunty angle though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭gifted

I think they do a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

We've the finest seamen in Western Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Etc wrote: »
    They look great when their caps are at a jaunty angle though...

I love the way they all sing a song when they arrive in port

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We don't have an Irish navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We don't have an Irish navy.
    Yes, but having them dancing and singing Village People's "In The Naval Service" at state ceremonies would never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I hear they're recruiting.. maybe you should enlist and help sort out all the mistakes you feel are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Allinall wrote: »

Yes, the clue is in the link: Naval Service. Not Navy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yes, the clue is in the link: Naval Service. Not Navy.

Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Not a disgrace, a great bunch of lads and lasses them are,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yvan eht nioj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

When theyre not assisting illegal aliens to enter Europe theyre hassling Irish fishermen for the benefit of foreign fleets.
    The most recent act of eneptitude involves inexplicably arresting two northern fishing vessels where a long-standing gentleman's agreement has allowed reciprocal fishing rights. This will also undoudtably effect already strained relations with the north and UK.

That is more likely a political decision made by senior civil service or ministerial level. They are only acting on someone elses orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No.

But the village people one was. I mean, they don't even have matching uniforms FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whatever. I am sure they are all professional and following the laws of the land.

I do not agree that they should be sent to the Med to rescue migrants who have been trafficked though. That just encourages more of the Mafia types to keep going.

Simon Coveney is from Cork, that place has a huge (maybe the only) maritime heritage. So think about it for a minute. Who benefits from all the Med voyages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Seriously though, is this coincidental or sending a message about life pro-Brexit. There was a report by Tommy Gorman on RTÉ news which told us there is a “gentleman’s agreement” to allow nordie boats down and southern boats up following some High Court case three years ago. Tommy answered all the questions except for one crucial one: are southern boats going north or were the nordies taking the p.

If southern boats are going north, I presume there will be a reciprocal arrest which would make this action very strange indeed.

Whatever. I am sure they are all professional and following the laws of the land.

I do not agree that they should be sent to the Med to rescue migrants who have been trafficked though. That just encourages more of the Mafia types to keep going.

Simon Coveney is from Cork, that place has a huge (maybe the only) maritime heritage. So think about it for a minute. Who benefits from all the Med voyages?

Simon Coveney is a spineless chocolate sailor and is from a family of tax cheats. But this decision was taken well above his head as we are part of an integrated EU Naval group run from Brussels, the same with our Army and Air Corp and has been for some time.

Simon Coveney is a spineless chocolate sailor and is from a family of tax cheats. But this decision was taken well above his head as we are part of an integrated EU Naval group run from Brussels, the same with our Army and Air Corp and has been for some time.

Well in fairness what is the purpose of our Army for starters? I wish someone would tell me this now, with due respect to those who are there of course.

Air Corps probably assist in rescues and sending our Ministers off in the Government Jet (if it still exists, haven't checked that out, too bored to do it),

Maritime too, but please, not for helping traffickers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1093970/ireland-fishing-boats-seized-voisinage-agreement-dundalk-bay-dup

Can always rely on "The Express" for a laugh.

Apparently an Irish WARSHIP siezed two British vessels. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And the last time they hassled foreign fleets was ....
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0228/1033493-fishing-boats-dundalk-bay/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1093970/ireland-fishing-boats-seized-voisinage-agreement-dundalk-bay-dup

Well it wasn't an Irish canoe that seized them, and they were British..so seems accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The irony of misspelling 'ineptitude'.

Anyway, the Naval Service do a great job. Its not one I would like, fair play to those who do it.

Well in fairness what is the purpose of our Army for starters? I wish someone would tell me this now, with due respect to those who are there of course.

Air Corps probably assist in rescues and sending our Ministers off in the Government Jet (if it still exists, haven't checked that out, too bored to do it),

Maritime too, but please, not for helping traffickers anymore.

The Army is the support the Gardai if needed and our contributions to UN and EU mission. They are a great force to deploy in natural disasters and emergencies. I think the DoD makes very mistakes when purchasing comparison to the HSE and other armies. So they do give value for money but we do not look after our soldiers. I am hearing stories of former soldiers ending up on the streets and dealing with substance issues. Soldiers pay was never great but the gratuity and pension made up for it. That has now been slashed.

All Branches of the defence forces are losing technicians that simply cannot be replaced by calling a recruitment agency. Where are you supposed to get a Petty Officer with 10 year experience of working on a Volvo marine engine? You cant go down to Adecco and buy that experience.

Last I heard the Government Jet was mothballed in the States and being investigated if it was viable to be either fixed or scrapped and replaced. Those issues about assisting Traffickers is being made at an EU level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

They tuk ur cod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The readers of the Express have a real hard on for our lovey Leo!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Terrible decision, this will result in Irish boats being properly banned from NIRL waters, expect UK patrol boats out later this week.

This move is like shooting yourself in the foot because you don't like the shoes you are wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Seriously though, is this coincidental or sending a message about life pro-Brexit. There was a report by Tommy Gorman on RTÉ news which told us there is a “gentleman’s agreement” to allow nordie boats down and southern boats up following some High Court case three years ago. Tommy answered all the questions except for one crucial one: are southern boats going north or were the nordies taking the p.

If southern boats are going north, I presume there will be a reciprocal arrest which would make this action very strange indeed.

That agreement was challenged in Dublin in 2016 but remains unchallenged in the UK. The fishermen from the south can fish in Uk waters but not vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's worth bearing in mind that this has happened many times previously but it's getting ore coverage because of Brexit.

• Advertisement

The Army is the support the Gardai if needed and our contributions to UN and EU mission. They are a great force to deploy in natural disasters and emergencies.

Wonder where the army was in the Beast from the East last year. I am sure you will tell me.

Advertisement