Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Options
  • 20-02-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Jussie Smollett (best known for his work in Empire) has claimed he has been victim of a serious hate crime. His statement included that he was attacked by two white MAGA supporters. He claimed they shouted hateful racist remarks at him along with pouring bleach in his eyes. It has now transpired that he likely fabricated the entire story and paid men to attack him( two Nigerian men). He now faces up to three years in prison if these alleged events aren’t proven to be fake. Does Jussie deserve prison time for this? And Is Smollett the only one guilty of a “hate crime” here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if he did dream this up hes definitely guilty of gross stupidity. ive genuinely never heard of him or his show but he sounds like no great loss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What a stupid moron. I hope they throw the book at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Googled him. Saw who he was.

He'll be fine.

A cynical ploy for victim status backfired. Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Really shows how many are so willing to support that the "Other side" are the bad guys. A bit like the MAGA kids and the Indian guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

American Media, from Hollywood to New York, is in the toilet!

Trump will win in 2020...they (by they I mean the established press and established politicians ) haven't learned a thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

American Media, from Hollywood to New York, is in the toilet!

Trump will win in 2020...they (by they I mean the established press and established politicians ) haven't learned a thing!

Yeah, they need to take their heads out of their asses. The sooner the “resistance” realises their just the second coming of the tea party, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

He deserves to be locked up for lying and continue to lie when he was initially questioned about it since it will serve as a good deterrent for others not to do the same. Whereas if they go easy on him and he gets a lenient sentence it will make people think that they too can also get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Confined with lots of sexually frustrated young men. I'm sure he would just dread that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I'm surprised none of the journalists who covered this haven't been sanctioned for doing absolutely no digging and taking the whole thing at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Jesus, what a silly way to end your career.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do they have any idea why he would stage this sort of attack? Was it meant to boost his fame or something? :confused: (I'll admit that I'd never heard of him)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

El_Bee wrote: »
    I'm surprised none of the journalists who covered this haven't been sanctioned for doing absolutely no digging and taking the whole thing at face value.

Journalists ? Just like here in Ireland, US journos are activists.

No such thing as investigating journalism any more. Group think and fear of being called a racist has killed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You mean reporting the police reports and when the police uncovered more information, they reported that too.

You can't blame the media for reporting the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Welcome to the world of Journalism. You've only scratched the surface with that comment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fresh meat…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

mad muffin wrote: »
    Fresh meat…

Theyre going to get right up in his booty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Scarinae wrote: »
    Do they have any idea why he would stage this sort of attack? Was it meant to boost his fame or something? :confused: (I'll admit that I'd never heard of him)

Yes, he was going to be written out of "Empire", well, he's definitely out of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Scarinae wrote: »

Think he had music album coming out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What an absolute eejit. Deserves jail time for wasting police time, and the chance he may have actually wound up getting someone sent to jail had anyone matched well with descriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

splashuum wrote: »
    Jussie Smollett (best known for his work in Empire) has claimed he has been victim of a serious hate crime. His statement included that he was attacked by two white MAGA supporters. He claimed they shouted hateful racist remarks at him along with pouring bleach in his eyes. It has now transpired that he likely fabricated the entire story and paid men to attack him( two Nigerian men). He now faces up to three years in prison if these alleged events aren’t proven to be fake. Does Jussie deserve prison time for this? And Is Smollett the only one guilty of a “hate crime” here?

I had strong suspicions about his story from the start based on a number of similar past cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Grayson wrote: »
    You mean reporting the police reports and when the police uncovered more information, they reported that too.

You can't blame the media for reporting the news.

The American media often dismissed as a conspiracy theory any suggestion of this being staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

theyre too busy to make outrage like the Motson or Neeson incidents recently and browsing loony's on twitter saying theyre outraged or pushing identity politics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Massive victmhood culture in western society today. People are elevated in the eyes of so many when they claim to have been the victim of sexism, racism, transism etc etc.

These people can just refer to oppression and get whoops and cheers from a crowd. So is it then any wonder when many make it up that they have been attacked, assaulted, or not paid enough because they're female.

The latter the lie Sarah Silverman told to get herself a little extra social cache with that section of society.

So far there has been little consequences for those who have lied. If this guy has done what he appears to have, that may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He's now officially a suspect in the hate crime attack he reported. I have never heard of the guy before in my life but all of twitter was standing by him and sending the usual repsponses. Well don't they look stupid ? I mean yes people shouldn't be discriminated based on the usual areas that people are in the world, but by the same token that doesn't give anyone the right to shout "discrimination" for any old reason at all. I don't care about your race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or any of that. If you're a sound head in my dealings with you I've not problem with you, but if you're a bollocks, then who or what you are isn't a defence. I mean how is this going to help the next person who is legitimately attacked ? Is this going to make the next person who is the victim of a hate crime more or less likely to report it ? It might and that's wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Smollett has now been charged with filing a false police report. The FBI is also reportedly investigating him.

A lot of people are going to have egg on their faces after this! They couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon to have a dig at Trump. Nancy Pelosi has deleted her tweet in support of Smollett. Presidential candidates Cory Booker and Kamala Harris have disappeared into the hedges after calling the attack "a modern-day lynching". Will they ever learn?

SJW Ellen Page is looking a bit silly too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

The US media and Liberal elites really are absolutely awful. I mean it makes our own media look like the best thing since sliced bread. They really have not learned a damn thing since Trump was elected.

As soon as some perceived minority claims to have been the victim of prejudice at the hands of the White man they just take it and run with it, gone be with the facts.

They really do not give the slightest sh*t about the truth, it's all just "entertainment" now under the guise of news. Off the top of my head: Shaun King (more than once), the Covington incident, any amount of #metoo accusers, the list goes on.

The worst one I can remember is when the CNN panel did their little "I can't breathe" thing in support of Black Lives Matter after someone was killed by the police who (surprise surprise) turned out to be a scumbag up to no good. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tbh as soon as I heard MAGA hats I became suspicious.

I'd say it immediately threw up red flags for the police too, with the amount of false reports they receive.

Two ''rednecks'' as Smollett described wandering the streets of Chicago at 2am in sub zero temps looking for a gay black man to lynch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Massive victmhood culture in western society today. People are elevated in the eyes of so many when they claim to have been the victim of sexism, racism, transism etc etc.

These people can just refer to oppression and get whoops and cheers from a crowd. So is it then any wonder when many make it up that they have been attacked, assaulted, or not paid enough because they're female.

The latter the lie Sarah Silverman told to get herself a little extra social cache with that section of society.

So far there has been little consequences for those who have lied. If this guy has done what he appears to have, that may change.

Couldn't agree more, the victimhood culture is inbelievable. Everyone wants to be one and if you're not, fake it.
    On a similar note, if you're successful, especially in America, you have to pretend you had it tough when you were young and no one believed in you

Advertisement