Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boom 2.0 ?

Options

Comments

Feisar wrote: »
    I work in construction, a supprising amount of lads eating salads these days.

My local Centrais a good indicator of this. They now have a queue of lads every morning getting chopped salads and fulfill bars instead of breakfast rolls and snickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Boomsday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

AMKC wrote: »
    Nope no boom here. The recession never ended.

Ah now, that's enough about Britain...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Boom boom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jon1981 wrote: »
    So are we now boomier than the last boom? What will we call this one?

You mean the one that ended in 2018 and you haven't realised it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Kaboom. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Every GAA team and football team seems to be having huge raffles to win a house. Don't remember that from the last go round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s nowhere near as boomy as the Celtic tiger ballcrap. Wages have been fairly stagnant. Taxes are still high. Housing is moderating. Rents are eating into disposable income.

And we’re afeared. We’re afeared of the boom.

Hotel prices are nuts though.

Is it a boom or just construction in Dublin catching up after nothing being done during the recession?

For teh moment banks seem to made keep a tight rein in large lending

However I've read several articles that personal debt as in small loans and in particular PCP finance on cars is enough to cause another fairly large recession in the UK

Given how popular PCP is here it might not be much different

Anyone who writes an article saying pcp could cause a recession is financially illiterate and should be ignored.

The absolute worst case ending of a pcp is the car being handed back. Handing it back covers the money owed and the garage can sell it on for a profit. The owner who hands it back loses some money on it (the equity left in the car) and has no car but they don’t have a debt. How can pcp lead to a recession?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Well the Irish never call anything by its correct name (no offense) and blame everybody and everything for all that has gone wrong and is wrong and your leaders are so good at this that they apportion blame for the disaster which has not happened yet in advance usually the Brits get the blame and for the good historic reason that they committed genocide against the Irish yet the Irish establishment refers to it as the great famine even Jeremy Corybn can call it what it was (link below)
    I will skip what was called The Rising, The Cause, The Rebellion, and The Troubles all caused by British Imperialism and jump to The Crash, for the most part media organisations around the world refer to it as the World Wide Financial Crash, The Banking Crash, The Financial Melt Down and so on yet Ireland one of the top ten most indebted countries in the world refers to it as simply The Crash or The Property Crash with no mention of banks or money therefore no mention of treason, fraud, greed and absolutely no need for accountability or a future history lesson for your children or your childrens children just a sorry your in the kaka it was The Crash.
    To sum it up the name already exists in most peoples mind and it has been placed there by the establishment with the help of the repetitive outpourings from politicians, rte and all the other vested status quo individuals and organisations, your leader along with the rte muppets love to parrot the phrase and have been doing so for a long period of time.
    Somebody appears to have given Leo Varadkar the two Simons (not Biblical) Clare Byrne Marian and Miriam a licence to implant the Irish Hippocampus with what should be future historic terms.
    Ever wonder who gives them their orders? you will when the IMF come back and Europe turns its back because the Brits will just want to give the cold shoulder and there will be no more nice guys left no more you decide Mr Government because Ireland is the new Venezuela.

POST BREXIT

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2216835661919697

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

<insert anchor man escalation meme here>

Anyone who writes an article saying pcp could cause a recession is financially illiterate and should be ignored.

The absolute worst case ending of a pcp is the car being handed back. Handing it back covers the money owed and the garage can sell it on for a profit. The owner who hands it back loses some money on it (the equity left in the car) and has no car but they don’t have a debt. How can pcp lead to a recession?

Yeh, it’s nonsense. If all pcp loans defaulted then there would be no effect on the economy expect the few people who defaulted don’t have the equity they expected and there’s a possible glut of second hand cars.

Well the Irish never call anything by its correct name (no offense) and blame everybody and everything for all that has gone wrong and is wrong and your leaders are so good at this that they apportion blame for the disaster which has not happened yet in advance usually the Brits get the blame and for the good historic reason that they committed genocide against the Irish yet the Irish establishment refers to it as the great famine even Jeremy Corybn can call it what it was (link below)
    I will skip what was called The Rising, The Cause, The Rebellion, and The Troubles all caused by British Imperialism and jump to The Crash, for the most part media organisations around the world refer to it as the World Wide Financial Crash, The Banking Crash, The Financial Melt Down and so on yet Ireland one of the top ten most indebted countries in the world refers to it as simply The Crash or The Property Crash with no mention of banks or money therefore no mention of treason, fraud, greed and absolutely no need for accountability or a future history lesson for your children or your childrens children just a sorry your in the kaka it was The Crash.
    To sum it up the name already exists in most peoples mind and it has been placed there by the establishment with the help of the repetitive outpourings from politicians, rte and all the other vested status quo individuals and organisations, your leader along with the rte muppets love to parrot the phrase and have been doing so for a long period of time.
    Somebody appears to have given Leo Varadkar the two Simons (not Biblical) Clare Byrne Marian and Miriam a licence to implant the Irish Hippocampus with what should be future historic terms.
    Ever wonder who gives them their orders? you will when the IMF come back and Europe turns its back because the Brits will just want to give the cold shoulder and there will be no more nice guys left no more you decide Mr Government because Ireland is the new Venezuela.

POST BREXIT

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2216835661919697

As I read that that it got me angrier and angrier. I almost spilt me tea.

But then I realised it was just incoherent bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

When there's adverts on TV from banks pushing loans for a kiddies playhouse out the backyard. WTF is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Yeh, it’s nonsense. If all pcp loans defaulted then there would be no effect on the economy expect the few people who defaulted don’t have the equity they expected and there’s a possible glut of second hand cars.
    Massive glut repossessed pcp cars being sold into a market with massively reduced spending power selling for less than the equity in the pcp loan. I bet a new financial product has been developed masking ****ty pcp debt just like the subprime mortgages prior to the last bust. Same sh1t, different flavour

Giveaway wrote: »
    Massive glut repossessed pcp cars being sold into a market with massively reduced spending power selling for less than the equity in the pcp loan. I bet a new financial product has been developed masking ****ty pcp debt just like the subprime mortgages prior to the last bust. Same sh1t, different flavour

Nowhere near as destructive. It will harm one industry.

I’m not saying there won’t be a post Brexit recession, or a recession. I can’t see it being as destructive. If it is we’re doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Give over the boom is only going to get boomier so would you all stop sitting on the sidelines cribbing and moaning. In fact I don’t know how people who engage in that don’t commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Boom 2: Boom Harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

The Region of Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Does anybody want to buy some decking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sure everyone is rich again, tis grand.
    now get out there and SPEND SPEND SPEND!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

theteal wrote: »

Pfft ...keep your cheap decking, its gold granite this time baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭enricoh

Only if i can slip on it and sue you! Dont think the celtic tiger had the compo payouts we have now.
    So this boom is, eh, better in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can you throw in a patio heater? Maybe a nice chimnea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Nowhere near as destructive. It will harm one industry.

Can serious financial harm be compartmentalised so easily? Precedent would suggest not.

While the exposure would be nowhere near as bad as housing the knock on effect, in tandem with other factors, could influence a recession in Europe. The German and French auto manufacturers would have a hard time absorbing big writedowns at their financing divisions, particularly VAG which had €157 Bn in loans to customers on its books 2 years ago and is already having trouble getting out of the diesel emissions hole it dug itself (which in turn has already impacted the German economy).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You need to get on that ladder

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

IBrows89 wrote: »
    The Region of Boom

Leave my region out of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If there was a Brexit or Chinese economy induced recession soon, I'd really worry for the social stability of Ireland going forward. Two deep recessions a decade apart would really put our country under the kosh.

We missed a huge opportunity to change the way we do things with the last recession. Business as usual and a lot of very good Troika advice was roundly ignored because it didn't suit the usual lads with their hands on the levers of power and our venerable captains of industry.

Advertisement