Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 8.1

Options
  • 23-01-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of picking one of these up... I always had the flagship HTC up to my current M10. Now I don't see the need to change phones as often, because they have reached useful speeds...

Considering the Nokia 8.1. I like:
    • Simple UI & no bloatware
    • Strong battery life
    • Fairly solid body
    • Price

Are there any other phones i should be looking at in the same price category?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Any recommendations for a phone around the €300+/- price bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Bluefoam wrote:
    Any recommendations for a phone around the €300+/- price bracket?

Pocophone but only if you don't need NFC

ianob7 wrote: »
    Pocophone but only if you don't need NFC

I 100% need NFC... It's the only useful development in phone technology since the Pebble (besides improved battery life).

Bluefoam wrote:
    I 100% need NFC... It's the only useful development in phone technology since the Pebble (besides improved battery life).

Wouldn't say only but I'm with you I definitely need it now going forward

Honor 10 perhaps ? Should be in that price range on various different sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking one of these up... I always had the flagship HTC up to my current M10. Now I don't see the need to change phones as often, because they have reached useful speeds...

Considering the Nokia 8.1. I like:
    • Simple UI & no bloatware
    • Strong battery life
    • Fairly solid body
    • Price

Are there any other phones i should be looking at in the same price category?

I know someone who has recently got this and hes very very happy with it. The camera is superb, the image stabilisation on videos is amazing if that's of any interest to you. Overall though he's finding it very fast and snappy and he really knows about these things so his thumbs up counts for a lot...with me anyway. :)

Thanks,
    looks like i'll go ahead with the 8.1... was bidding on a P20 Pro on eBay yesterday, but it was hitting money I'm not willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Was going to start a thread on this phone yesterday, thanks OP :)

I bought one yesterday from eglobal central.
    €321.70 including delivery for the dual SIM blue version.
    Price has gone up a little since, to €332 for the 3 colour variants before shipping, which is about €6.

I'm upgrading from the Nokia 7 Plus, which I bought from eglobal back in May, so I cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Mi8?

Any opinions on the Huawei P20 Pro... It's beyond what i want to spend, but I have found one that seems to be going for less than the going rate:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-P20-Pro-CLT-L09C-128GB-Black-Unlocked-Single-Sim/401691465923?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2648

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

P20 Pro is a cracking phone. But that seller has no feedback at all!! Be careful :

"Member since: 21 Jan, 2019"

Thats their first item for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

GBX wrote: »
    P20 Pro is a cracking phone. But that seller has no feedback at all!! Be careful :

"Member since: 21 Jan, 2019"

Thats their first item for sale.
    "Let's be careful out there"

... but PayPal

... but PayPal
    Always pay Pal always

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

... but PayPal

Yeah I know. But even still, if I'm buying on Ebay using PayPal, i'd rather have some sort of feedback on the seller first. I wouldn't be handing over €520 to somebody with a brand new account with no seller history.
    At the end of the day, its up to you Bluefoam. Just my take on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Any carriers gonna be carrying the 8.1 in Ireland, cant find any info

Put an order in with eGlobal for the 4gb, grey colour... Looking forward to getting it... But in the meantime I'll head over to the eGlobal thread to complain about their shipping times, lack of communication, unreliable tracking etc. As is the norm with them.

Put an order in with eGlobal for the 4gb, grey colour... Looking forward to getting it... But in the meantime I'll head over to the eGlobal thread to complain about their shipping times, lack of communication, unreliable tracking etc. As is the norm with them.
    If u think eglobal are bad don't go neat half the others

Eglobal's 2 weeks is so much better than Ali- You may see it in 2 months, if you don't it's your fault -express :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Was going to start a thread on this phone yesterday, thanks OP :)

I bought one yesterday from eglobal central.
    €321.70 including delivery for the dual SIM blue version.
    Price has gone up a little since, to €332 for the 3 colour variants before shipping, which is about €6.

I'm upgrading from the Nokia 7 Plus, which I bought from eglobal back in May, so I cant wait :)
    Let me know how you get on... I just had a moment of panic... While the specs state that it has NFC, it doesn't say so anywhere on the eGlobal site... & knowing that they bring them from Asia, I'm very concerned it won't be included... If so, it'll have to go back

• Advertisement

Let me know how you get on... I just had a moment of panic... While the specs state that it has NFC, it doesn't say so anywhere on the eGlobal site... & knowing that they bring them from Asia, I'm very concerned it won't be included... If so, it'll have to go back

I would be happy enough that the phone will have NFC if it's in the official specs. I will let you know once it arrives though. :)

You can easily enough RMA goods with eglobal anyway, so you should be fine either way!

Bluefoam, I can confirm that the device has NFC :)

Just got my device about 12 and currently going through the setup, but I'm liking it so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Am I right in saying you had a Nokia 7 Plus previously? I'd be interested to hear how the camera on the 8.1 holds up against the 7 plus and if its a big improvement.

Also if you're able to install Google cam mod for the extra features.

Just got my device about 12 and currently going through the setup, but I'm liking it so far :D
    Yes, it has NFC. Mine is with the courier, I should have it today or tomorrow...
    breeno wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you had a Nokia 7 Plus previously? I'd be interested to hear how the camera on the 8.1 holds up against the 7 plus and if its a big improvement.

Is this a question for me or marcbrophy? I'm coming from a HTC M10

Sorry, that question was for Marc!
    I have a Huawei P20 Pro at the moment which on paper is superior to this but there's just something about it that I don't quite like and the Android One software on the 8.1 appeals. I'm interested to hear real-world experience of the camera quality.

Yep, I have a 7 plus also :)

You are able to use gcam for the phone according to the below link.

https://nokiapoweruser.com/google-camera-apk-download-for-nokia-smartphones/
    Sorry, that question was for Marc!
    I have a Huawei P20 Pro at the moment which on paper is superior to this but there's just something about it that I don't quite like and the Android One software on the 8.1 appeals. I'm interested to hear real-world experience of the camera quality.

Sorry for this answer now, but I am not a heavy camera user at all!
    Not even a medium camera user, I take about 1 pic a week on average and they are mostly indoors :)

I can take a photo or 2 on both the 7 plus and 8.1 and throw them up for comparison, if that's of any use to you?

Personally, I am in agreement with what you say. The camera setup on the P20 pro is definitely better, but the Android One in the Nokia's is appealing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Hi,
    Does the Nokia 8.1 have an FM Radio and does it support LDAC and aptx HD codecs in Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!

jgc115 wrote: »

Hi,
    Does the Nokia 8.1 have an FM Radio and does it support LDAC and aptx HD codecs in Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!
    AFAIK no FM radio

jgc115 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Bad news I'm afraid.

There's no FM radio on the device and according to the link below, neither LDAC or APTx support either.

https://www.tspn1.com/2018/12/nokia-81-vs-xiaomi-mi-mix-3-comparisons.html

To update the above:
    I was only going by the specs on GSM arena when I was talking about FM earlier.
    But in a surprise twist, there actually is FM radio on this phone :D

Also, according to these links, LDAC and AptX are indeed supported!

Last line before the specs:
    https://www.androidauthority.com/nokia-8-1-931780/

Post number 3:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8-1/help/nokia-8-1-support-ldac-using-sony-wh-t3878674

• Advertisement

Sorry for this answer now, but I am not a heavy camera user at all!
    Not even a medium camera user, I take about 1 pic a week on average and they are mostly indoors :)

I can take a photo or 2 on both the 7 plus and 8.1 and throw them up for comparison, if that's of any use to you?

Personally, I am in agreement with what you say. The camera setup on the P20 pro is definitely better, but the Android One in the Nokia's is appealing also.

Yea a photo comparison would be great if you had a chance but don't go out of your way! I had the 7 Plus and it was generally rock solid but the camera let it down a bit. The reviews seems to be suggesting it's much improved on the 8.1 (for the price range at least) and I'm getting tempted!

Advertisement