Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi what is the starting salary? As I know it's not as good as it use to be . Thanks in advance

29, 600 first 18 months or so after training and will go up each year after.

weekly pay be like:

1000 - week you get OT etc..

For me I’m taking a big pay cut if I get accepted but it’s what I always wanted to do so 🀷*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Got news that I was successful in the interview. I'm being told that I could be called for fitness test in January.

Could it be that soon?

My oom number is around the 500 mark

Thanks,

I rang the Garda HQ today to ask about the physical. I passed interview also and my OOM is in the 500’s, the Garda said he doesn’t think I will get called for physical until Feb/March. It would be ideal to be called in Jan but I couldn’t imagine it being that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

[/quote]

weekly pay be like:

For me I’m taking a big pay cut if I get accepted but it’s what I always wanted to do so 🀷*♂️[/quote]

I didn’t know that about there being a large week with overtime assumed would just be eveningly split. Prob wouldn’t be much OT done during the 18 months training though would there. I would also be on pay cut but that’s cause I’m currently paid in sterling not really sure what the exact difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

So has anybody here, for clarification as to the fitness test is being next up, and medical is last?

OscarKilo

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Oscar.

Yes, it goes physical which will happen first and then medical. You, from what I've seen and heard, will need to visit your GP beforehand the physical to get the go ahead to do it. (They'll contact you about this however)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

weekly pay be like:

For me I’m taking a big pay cut if I get accepted but it’s what I always wanted to do so

Would say you need to be working 60+ hour week to get 1000

Smallboy wrote: »
    Oscar.

Yes, it goes physical which will happen first and then medical. You, from what I've seen and heard, will need to visit your GP beforehand the physical to get the go ahead to do it. (They'll contact you about this however)

What is involved in the medical? Do you have to pay for your own hearing test?

Does anybody know how strict the hearing test is ? I'm slightly hard of hearing but not deaf . Would you be able to wear hearing aid if needs be ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Joda96

What is involved in the medical? Do you have to pay for your own hearing test?

Urine sample, height/weight (bmi), blood pressure,hearing test, eye test and a general body check up. There this tube you blow into I think it tests your lung capacity, not 100% sure of that tho haha.

For the hearing test you sit in a sound proof booth with headphones on and it plays beeps in each ear. You press a clicker when you hear the beep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cocopops555

Hi everyone, I received the letter to be signed by my GP last week. However, the week after my interview (before I knew I passed) i had to go for a procedure on my back. As a result of this, I am unable to excercise for a number of months. I have spoken to a guard and he suggested ringing HR & explaining my situation. He said they will jus reschedule my Physical.

Just wondering if there is anyone in a similar situation or anyone that was in this position and how they went about it? Just said I would post it up to see.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jwals2130

Just wondering what oom are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rocco26

Does anybody know how strict the hearing test is ? I'm slightly hard of hearing but not deaf . Would you be able to wear hearing aid if needs be ? Thanks in advance

I was told when I was doing it that you cant really fail, just routine

Any know how to get that 20m Loughborough app for the beep test?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Any know how to get that 20m Loughborough app for the beep test?

Not sure there's a few bleep test apps in the play store.

I run 0.6km in under 3 min. Keep good pace. Works out the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Hi everyone, I received the letter to be signed by my GP last week. However, the week after my interview (before I knew I passed) i had to go for a procedure on my back. As a result of this, I am unable to excercise for a number of months. I have spoken to a guard and he suggested ringing HR & explaining my situation. He said they will jus reschedule my Physical.

Just wondering if there is anyone in a similar situation or anyone that was in this position and how they went about it? Just said I would post it up to see.

Thanks in advance.

It will be fine, just reschedule it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cocopops555

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    It will be fine, just reschedule it.

Thanks so much! Will give them a ring so today.

How did yous get on who attended the open day today? I’ve mine the 26th feedback is greatly appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

How did yous get on who attended the open day today? I’ve mine the 26th feedback is greatly appreciated :-)

I’m heading up the 26th too, is it worthwhile does anyone know??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

What OOM are you? And when did you do the interview? I’m mid 500’s bud haven’t heard anything about an open day invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

rossd92 wrote: »
    I’m heading up the 26th too, is it worthwhile does anyone know??

I found it very worthwhile. Just to get an idea of how the equipment for the tests is used and techniques for the sit ups, push ups, bleep and Push Pull

• Advertisement

Hendo98 wrote: »
    I found it very worthwhile. Just to get an idea of how the equipment for the tests is used and techniques for the sit ups, push ups, bleep and Push Pull

Very good, did they give any indication to when they are gonna kick off the PCT for our campaign? What OOM are you? Last question ha do they hold down your feet for the sit-ups?

Very good, did they give any indication to when they are gonna kick off the PCT for our campaign? What OOM are you? Last question ha do they hold down your feet for the sit-ups?
    Jaysus.loads of questions here haha. They said that the fact that some of us have gotten the GP forms and open day that they should be kicking off in the "next few weeks". I'm 244. Yes the do :)

Hendo98 wrote: »
    Jaysus.loads of questions here haha. They said that the fact that some of us have gotten the GP forms and open day that they should be kicking off in the "next few weeks". I'm 244. Yes the do :)

Hahaha yea sorry about that, ah happy out yea! I’m in the top 280s! Nice one thanks Bud! :-)

Hahaha yea sorry about that, ah happy out yea! I’m in the top 280s! Nice one thanks Bud! :-)

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Anyone heading to templemore for the open day on the 26th? Are ye wearing training gear going or getting changed up there?

2. Met my local sergeant last week, said the next step is to meet the local superintendent. Anyone done this yet? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

rossd92 wrote: »
    Anyone heading to templemore for the open day on the 26th? Are ye wearing training gear going or getting changed up there?

2. Met my local sergeant last week, said the next step is to meet the local superintendent. Anyone done this yet? Any advice?

I am going up, I’d say I’ll prob wear my gear going and bring a change of clothes.

I met the super recently, it was grand. He had the report from the sergeant so he questioned my relation to a few people in my family that they know (I’ve a huge family). Went through my application. I had to send in some more info after as well. It was like a chat, they just want to make sure you have no affiliation to people who commit crimes, you’ve no record, what volunteering you do, study , work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

A few questions here, any help appreciated:

1. I passed the interview and they're just doing the background checks now, how does it work? Most of my relatives on the form I'm not in contact with, I did contact one of them and they said that they wouldn't give me their address or DOB and they said none of the others would either? What should I do? If I can't get the details of family I've never really been in contact with?

2. I've read on here we have to meet with a local superintendent or something? What's the story with this and should we be suited and booted for this?

3. After this, the next step I assume is the medical and then fitness test?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

LukeP26 wrote: »
    A few questions here, any help appreciated:

1. I passed the interview and they're just doing the background checks now, how does it work? Most of my relatives on the form I'm not in contact with, I did contact one of them and they said that they wouldn't give me their address or DOB and they said none of the others would either? What should I do? If I can't get the details of family I've never really been in contact with?

2. I've read on here we have to meet with a local superintendent or something? What's the story with this and should we be suited and booted for this?

3. After this, the next step I assume is the medical and then fitness test?

Thanks!

I’m really not sure what you can do if family not prepared to give information, I guess just give their last known address and state that you are not in contact and have tried your best to get the info ?

For meeting the super and the Sargent, yes dress very smartly, it’s an informal chat but important that you are well turned out

The fitness test is first and before you do this you will get a form your GP needs to fill in to state you are fit to do the fitness test. On receipt of this they will then send you a date for the fitness test. On successful completion of this you will then do the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Henry2006 wrote: »
    I’m really not sure what you can do if family not prepared to give information, I guess just give their last known address and state that you are not in contact and have tried your best to get the info ?

For meeting the super and the Sargent, yes dress very smartly, it’s an informal chat but important that you are well turned out

The fitness test is first and before you do this you will get a form your GP needs to fill in to state you are fit to do the fitness test. On receipt of this they will then send you a date for the fitness test. On successful completion of this you will then do the medical

Thanks! And do I receive an email about meeting the superintendent and seargent? Or a phonecall? And will I meet both of them at the same time in my local station or can I pick which station?

Yeah I'll ring them now and explain the family situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Catepillar1994

I wasn't able to make it to the open day. Was it complusory that we went. Cause an terrified I put a spanner in the work

Advertisement