Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

I have seen quite a number of feminists mocking misandry.
    I'm guessing that part of it is they don't particularly like problems men might face being discussed and highlighted, particularly misandry; they would be quite happy if gender equality discussions predominantly focused on women* so they try to mock people talking about misandry.

I think in some cases it might be to try to protect themselves from criticism for any misandrous views they might hold themselves or misandrous statements they might make.

I don't see the same people making "funny" comments about misogyny, even though the word is thrown around a lot more, often in odd ways.

*with a token discussion of men where problems are generally blamed on patriarchy, toxic masculinity and the like (i.e. basically blaming men)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Perifect wrote: »
    Don't worry, we're going to ban her. She won't be allowed in. Only people who agree with us are welcome.
    Hmmm, a thread on sexism, being a little hostile to sexists? Jaysus, the mind only boggles at that notion. And we actually like people who disagree, if they go beyond the usual deflection, "LOLs" and baiting.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Don't worry, we're going to ban her. She won't be allowed in. Only people who agree with us are welcome.

That's not true at all. It's generally better for discussion when there's a point made though, as opposed to random jibes at people calling them angry and claiming the antithesis of comedy as being "funny" just to annoy people.

There was a "chap" on here who was quite fond of the tactic of playing Devil's Advocate (I'm being generous there) on this thread. There was quite a lot of debate on here, much of it was involved cherry picking of quotes and deliberately (in my opinion) misconstruing the intent of people's comments. To be fair to him he did at least offer his own opinion and a degree of challenge. Ultimately though I dare say most people found it to be a fairly disingenuous method of debate.

That being said as much as I disagreed with him it's unfair of me to slate the guy if he's not here to state his own case, and I don't think anybody wants to revisit that stuff again.

Opposing opinions are fair game. Shitposting is not generally going to win much favour though, and it's the same on other threads and topics from what I see.

I can't really see much from what you've posted where an objective observer would find what you've said to be credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

givyjoe wrote: »
    You sound a whole lot more comfortable round here now.. so, you want to contribute something to the actual point of the thread or?

Am no. Read the rest of the posts.

There was a poster basically saying that feminists would get a good beating if they made comments face to face with a man - No comments about it from anyone here.
    A poster states that a woman was having a laugh - Can't be having that!

I'll leave you to your safe space.
    Unless you miss me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I love it when we get visits from male feminists, they try and bait us into arguments and show us how we too can be white knights.

When challenged by the dirty incels just run away and shout about safe spaces.

• Advertisement

Male feminists, white knights, dirty incels, safe spaces. :D Do you use these phrases in real life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Male feminists, white knights, dirty incels, safe spaces. :D Do you use these phrases in real life?

Do you make that big green grinny face in real life? ;) (Do I have a blue winky face in real life?)

Zorya wrote: »
    Do you make that big green grinny face in real life? ;) (Do I have a blue winky face in real life?)

All the time. :D Seriously, I've seen people smile and wink but I've never heard anyone use those phrases so regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

All you've done since you've shown up in this thread is try to 'control' people's speech. It's subtle and i doubt you're aware of it but it's there...

'Had an example of sexism but i'm not posting because of the anger in here'
    'I think you need to calm down'
    'There's no need for this level of anger'
    'You have to let it go'

You sound like a mommy but we are not your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Primary school teacher by any chance Perifect?

• Advertisement

Defunkd wrote: »
    All you've done since you've shown up in this thread is try to 'control' people's speech. It's subtle and i doubt you're aware of it but it's there...

'Had an example of sexism but i'm not posting because of the anger in here'
    'I think you need to calm down'
    'There's no need for this level of anger'
    'You have to let it go'

You sound like a mommy but we are not your kids.

It's the truth! Anger ties people up and is very unhealthy.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Primary school teacher by any chance Perifect?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am not so sure a primary teacher as even they are capable of having a coherent argument with someone. This person doesn't really want to be challenged on what they are saying just that we take their word for it that they are right.
    Take a chill pill! She's clearly joking, it's funny. If you don't think so then just move on, forget about her.

Tries to then deflect any argument back on to any one that calls them out. I would suggest ignoring it as it doesnt want to debate.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I am not so sure a primary teacher as even they are capable of having a coherent argument with someone. This person doesn't really want to be challenged on what they are saying just that we take their word for it that they are right.

Tries to then deflect any argument back on to any one that calls them out. I would suggest ignoring it as it doesnt want to debate.

Debate what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Debate what?

Says it all. Not here to debate, not here to contribute. Why are you still here again?

Says it all. Not here to debate, not here to contribute. Why are you still here again?

I'm being mannerly and responding to questions posed to me. Why the hostility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I'm being mannerly and responding to questions posed to me. Why the hostility?

You honestly think you’re mannerly?

It’s a bit jarring that you find my posts hostile, but don’t see an issue with the things folks here find to be sexist.

You honestly think you’re mannerly?

It’s a bit jarring that you find my posts hostile, but don’t see an issue with the things folks here find to be sexist.

Yes, very mannerly. Despite some very rude responses. I just think it's crazy that someone advocating a violent response to people is fine but someone stating an opinion on someone who tweets is not.

It's the truth! Anger ties people up and is very unhealthy.
    In a thread about sexism, passive acceptance is an option but not a good one.
    If someone is angry, let them be angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭facehugger99

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2019/0121/1024547-this-five-ingredient-miracle-spray-that-can-clean-anything/

From our national broadcasters website.

"I was skeptical, but I am always willing to try a homemade remedy etc", wrote one user. "It got off all the soak scum from the glass shower screen & tiles, the staining around the toilet bowl (those of you with males in the house will understand)."

:confused: Do women not piss in toilets bowls too or is their piss a different composition?

BTW, I used this spray on my BBQ grill and it did a great job.
    #mancleaning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

An old man once suggested to me if the men of today gave up their addiction to pleasing women, they wouldn't have to put up with so much depression, fear and anxiety....

Men's rights are very important.

In a thread about sexism, passive acceptance is an option but not a good one.
    If someone is angry, let them be angry.

People can get angry if they want. People can point out that it's not healthy if they want.

:confused: Do women not piss in toilets bowls too or is their piss a different composition?

I think it's about missing the mark...which happens to me anyway. Too much power, too little power, foreskin in the way, drops etc. Even if the bowl was as wide as a bath, i'd still decorate around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

People can get angry if they want. People can point out that it's not healthy if they want.
    I think most mental health professionals would consider it far more healthy to express one's anger than to bottle it up these days.

Or should we all just "man up" and accept misandry as something to have a laugh about? Should we sit quietly in the corner and wait for the feminists to tell us how to behave?

Your posts in this thread have been unhelpful, condescending, argumentative and largely off-topic. What are you hoping to achieve? To bait someone into calling you names so you can run off to twitter/tumblr and get lots of praise from other feminists for "sticking it to the men"?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

I think most mental health professionals would consider it far more healthy to express one's anger than to bottle it up these days.

Or should we all just "man up" and accept misandry as something to have a laugh about? Should we sit quietly in the corner and wait for the feminists to tell us how to behave?

Your posts in this thread have been unhelpful, condescending, argumentative and largely off-topic. What are you hoping to achieve? To bait someone into calling you names so you can run off to twitter/tumblr and get lots of praise from other feminists for "sticking it to the men"?

Jebus, he's just a troll, stop engaging him and giving him what he wants. I would imagine that if we read his posts in other forums he'd be pulling the same horse****. The thread is full of people like that

Jebus, he's just a troll, stop engaging him and giving him what he wants. I would imagine that if we read his posts in other forums he'd be pulling the same horse****. The thread is full of people like that
    I think "he" is a 'she'.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

I think "he" is a 'she'.

I was going to use gender neutral language but they indicated they were male in their original post. Regardless, the point still stands, don’t feed the troll.

I was going to use gender neutral language but they indicated they were male in their original post. Regardless, the point still stands, don’t feed the troll.
    We need a poll. And betting odds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    OK folks back to the thread. And don't worry any further trolling of windups will be noted and acted upon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Expressing anger is one thing, that turning into violence is a whole other level. For the rest of your post, I really don't know where you are getting all that from? I said the woman was only joking. From that, you've got man up, misandry, feminsits, twitter/tumblr, sticking it to the men.
    It's all a bit of an overreaction? Anyway, I see my posts haven't been welcome here so I shall leave you to it.
    I'm a heshe

Advertisement