Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least used sections in the country?

Options
  • 18-01-2019 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Just curious as to which sections are used the least?

(Not including scheduled passenger services)

The south Wexford gets sprayed once a year, Navan see intermittent freight services, are there any unusual sections or sidings that only see occasional movements?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a raoltour last year of rarely used sections. M3 parkway headshunt has to be up there

In hundreds of times using the station I've only used platform 2 in Docklands once

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

From a passenger point of view its the bypass track at Cork Kent which allows a train to go around the station and not through it, the P10 line at Heuston is another strange one.

Bar M3 Parkway and the Bray centre almost all routes are daily or regular use as IE has timetabled trains to use the loops at Ballybrophy, Limerick Junc and Charleville. The Newcommen Curve will be used heavily next weekend and the bay at Bray gets used a fair bit.

Until fairly recently there was a very unique platform on the network, you could depart from it but never arrive as a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

jasper100 wrote: »
    Just curious as to which sections are used the least?

(Not including scheduled passenger services)

The south Wexford gets sprayed once a year, Navan see intermittent freight services, are there any unusual sections or sidings that only see occasional movements?

Very little these days. Waterford - Belview is probably the only one left but that apart of the South Wexford. Plenty of sidings around that would see very little or no use.

Navan would be a bit more than intermittent.

From a passenger point of view its the bypass track at Cork Kent which allows a train to go around the station and not through it, the P10 line at Heuston is another strange one.

Bar M3 Parkway and the Bray centre almost all routes are daily or regular use as IE has timetabled trains to use the loops at Ballybrophy, Limerick Junc and Charleville. The Newcommen Curve will be used heavily next weekend and the bay at Bray gets used a fair bit.

Until fairly recently there was a very unique platform on the network, you could depart from it but never arrive as a passenger

What scheduled trains use the loops at Charleville and Ballybrophy.

Is the loop at the old Athlone station ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE 222 wrote: »
    What scheduled trains use the loops at Charleville and Ballybrophy.

Is the loop at the old Athlone station ever used.

One of the Limerick evening use the loop in Ballybrophy. I think the 15.30.

Old Athlone station loop has freight.

The siding next to P2 in Kilkenny has very little if any use even by Per Way. Only usage I can recall is an ICR dumped there while waiting to get repaired.

Athy sidings are another, there days may be numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Thanks, very little peculiarities left it seems.

Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire?

I've arrived and departed all 3, so no (unless there's a hidden 4th)

uberwolf wrote: »
    I've arrived and departed all 3, so no (unless there's a hidden 4th)

Suspected as much, knew services departed from it but wasn't sure about arrivals.

• Advertisement

Its not Dun Laoghaire you could arrive and depart 3 until last year and 15 years ago arrive and depart 4 until it was filled in to extend 3.

One of the Limerick evening use the loop in Ballybrophy. I think the 15.30.

Old Athlone station loop has freight.

The siding next to P2 in Kilkenny has very little if any use even by Per Way. Only usage I can recall is an ICR dumped there while waiting to get repaired.

Athy sidings are another, there days may be numbered.

Does the freight not use Platform 3 in current Athlone station. Wouldn't of thought a freight would fit it the Old station loop.

What requires a Limerick train to use the loop. There nearly a 30min gap between them and cork trains.

Thurles, Tullamore, Enfield, Mullingar, Wexford, Rathdrum loads of places with sidings. Think a lot of them act as catch points as well and will probably remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Waterford to Limerick, just two a day, if that.

Waterford P2

Does the freight not use Platform 3 in current Athlone station. Wouldn't of thought a freight would fit it the Old station loop.

What requires a Limerick train to use the loop. There nearly a 30min gap between them and cork trains.

Thurles, Tullamore, Enfield, Mullingar, Wexford, Rathdrum loads of places with sidings. Think a lot of them act as catch points as well and will probably remain.

Athlone loop has saw freight usage, not sure on specifics but not unusual to have two freight trains there.

Those other sidings would have Per Way usage.

Athlone loop has saw freight usage, not sure on specifics but not unusual to have two freight trains there.

Those other sidings would have Per Way usage.

Maybe timbers and pockets would fit it.

Rarely used though.

Tralee had sidings filled flats last time i was there. Not sure when or how often they are moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

There are daily rusty rail movements all over the network. So most loops would see at least one daily movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I know that two of Wexford's sidings see infrequent permanent way use, the one closest the platform is used for dropping off ballast and the one furthest is rarely used for storage of trains. I would presume they keep them there in case they decide to cut the line out to Rosslare Harbour and trains need to be stored overnight.

Rosslare Strand's northbound platform is all but decommissioned at this stage, I believe the points were disconnected on the Wexford end so the platform can only be used for Rosslare Harbour to Waterford movements. I believe Enniscorthy's northbound platform was used once per day for an empty stock movement until December - the 17.33 service to Wexford passed the 18.33 service to Rosslare here. Since December the 17.33 goes to Rosslare and the 18.33 terminates in Wexford so I don't believe there is any scheduled passing here. Arklow's northbound platform is also out of use I believe.

The pass around Cork Kent sees a service once per day I think, I've seen a 2600 Class use it at around 17.00 there before, I presume it's a Cobh - Mallow service. Platform 3 at Thurles is only used for permanent way and TRVs - I've seen both in there on different occasions.

All passing loops on Limerick Junction - Waterford see rare use, I can't recall any time I have seen them used and the one in Carrick was removed a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The back plaform at Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Manulla Junction is perhaps also unique.

You may get on/off a train, but you can never leave the station (in theory)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's not to do with some early bird out of Midleton, was it?

The old P3/5 at Pearse was never signalled for arrivals, but was signalled for departures and had a weekday scheduled DART service about 13 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

"Navan see intermittent freight services".......whaaaaatttt?
    Navan-Drogheda carriest the greatest tonnage of freight on the island.

man98 wrote: »
    I know that two of Wexford's sidings see infrequent permanent way use, the one closest the platform is used for dropping off ballast and the one furthest is rarely used for storage of trains. I would presume they keep them there in case they decide to cut the line out to Rosslare Harbour and trains need to be stored overnight.

Rosslare Strand's northbound platform is all but decommissioned at this stage, I believe the points were disconnected on the Wexford end so the platform can only be used for Rosslare Harbour to Waterford movements. I believe Enniscorthy's northbound platform was used once per day for an empty stock movement until December - the 17.33 service to Wexford passed the 18.33 service to Rosslare here. Since December the 17.33 goes to Rosslare and the 18.33 terminates in Wexford so I don't believe there is any scheduled passing here. Arklow's northbound platform is also out of use I believe.

The pass around Cork Kent sees a service once per day I think, I've seen a 2600 Class use it at around 17.00 there before, I presume it's a Cobh - Mallow service. Platform 3 at Thurles is only used for permanent way and TRVs - I've seen both in there on different occasions.

All passing loops on Limerick Junction - Waterford see rare use, I can't recall any time I have seen them used and the one in Carrick was removed a number of years ago.

The points at Rosslare Strand disconnected or just scotched. The signal cabin needs to be active to signal movements onto Waterford and as its off all other times so it could be a signalling reason why the northbound platform cannot be used while the cabin is off.

Surprised by Arklow platform is it due to length, suspect it could be operational from a points prospective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rosslare Strand's northbound platform is all but decommissioned at this stage, I believe the points were disconnected on the Wexford end so the platform can only be used for Rosslare Harbour to Waterford movements.

Trains can cross and use both platforms at Rosslare Strand to and from Dublin. Only the one platform has access for the Waterford route. The double points was removed in 1973, and indirectly led to a crash at the station in 1974 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Trains can cross and use both platforms at Rosslare Strand to and from Dublin. Only the one platform has access for the Waterford route. The double points was removed in 1973, and indirectly led to a crash at the station in 1974 :)

I was told by a source in IÉ that they were disconnected for the line to Dublin, though I'd imagine that Jamie2k9 could be right on them being controlled through the Rosslare cabin - might have been due to Rosslare Strand losing its staff. I believe last time both platforms were in use was 2009 - there was a southbound train from Enniscorthy to Rosslare Harbour 3 days a week which passed the Rosslare Harbour - Waterford service there, not to say that it's definitely been decommissioned since.
    The points at Rosslare Strand disconnected or just scotched. The signal cabin needs to be active to signal movements onto Waterford and as its off all other times so it could be a signalling reason why the northbound platform cannot be used while the cabin is off.

Surprised by Arklow platform is it due to length, suspect it could be operational from a points prospective.

The platform at Arklow is non operational but I'm fairly certain it's still completely operational in theory. It'd be shortsighted on IÉ's behalf not to have a passing loop between Rathdrum and Gorey, especially given increased demand on southern commuter services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The least used railways are the places that receive the least amount of infrastructure investment by the government. For population growth, a rural area needs not just a railway and good motorway connections, but 4G broadband, a good electricity, water and sewage infrastructure. It would need well organized local government facilities with clear and precise laws on planning and zoning without any leeway for corruption. An area needs incentives like access to piped gas and ideally subsidized gas for industry for the first few years. Once the industry and spin offs are established, the population will need far more trains for these least used routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I was told by a source in IÉ that they were disconnected for the line to Dublin, though I'd imagine that Jamie2k9 could be right on them being controlled through the Rosslare cabin - might have been due to Rosslare Strand losing its staff. I believe last time both platforms were in use was 2009 - there was a southbound train from Enniscorthy to Rosslare Harbour 3 days a week which passed the Rosslare Harbour - Waterford service there, not to say that it's definitely been decommissioned since.

Both platforms at the Strand are operational and controlled from Greystones and have had trains on both platforms several times each year including 2018.

The old cabin requires to be switched in to allow a train towards Waterford.

The platform at Arklow is non operational but I'm fairly certain it's still completely operational in theory. It'd be shortsighted on IÉ's behalf not to have a passing loop between Rathdrum and Gorey, especially given increased demand on southern commuter services.

Again it is fully operational and can and has been used to cross late running trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Maybe timbers and pockets would fit it.

Rarely used though.

Tralee had sidings filled flats last time i was there. Not sure when or how often they are moved.

Athlone Midlands loop actually gets used more than you'd think.
    I live right beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

Is mullingar terminus platform ever used?
    I think the 07:35 Dub-Galway (M-T) connects with a train to westport at athlone which use's the loop. Could be wrong though.
    Hopeful when new trains arrive IE might start a commuter service to arklow or extend some DART (bi mode) to wicklow.

Advertisement