Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Plans for 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Do people generally go for say one of each type of watch? A field watch, dress watch, diver, chronograph.. or mix and match..

Cheers,
    Mick

When I started I seemed to gravitate towards dive watches. Now I seem to like sports watches. I've a couple of dress watches I bought because I liked the look of them. My workplace is smart casual so any watch (or none) will do.

I'm starting to buy more expensive watches. I don't know how why but I notice these are getting more wrist time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nothing on my radar really. The last two years I've limited myself to one watch each year. I've made a few lowball offers on a few watches from Lew&Huey, so I'd still like one of those. Another Steinhart could find a place in my watchbox as the Mrs. has the last one I bought on permanent loan.

One of my vintage Longines needs some TLC so that will take care of a few quid from the budget.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am really trying to be more disciplined. I'll prob end up trading one or two, but I really don't want to add any new funds. One of my acquisitions last year was something I've wanted for a few years, so there's nothing specific on my wish list.
    Do people generally go for say one of each type of watch? A field watch, dress watch, diver, chronograph.. or mix and match..

I kind of did at first, but I like sporty watches so that's just what I go with now.

If you want a variety then go nuts, but I think this idea that you shouldn't wear any sports watch with a suit is thankfully on the way out. There are people out there who seriously think a chrono is not suitable for business wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

unkel wrote: »
    Rolex n00b questions. How does that work? Where are you on the waiting list, with Rolex itself or with a particular AD? How long do you reckon the waiting list is / when do you expect to be on top? What happens if it's your turn, do you get to buy the the watch at RRP, which I think is €8,350 for the 116710BLNR?

Even if you didn't want it / couldn't afford it, surely you could buy and sell on for an immediate profit?

I'm not very knowledgeable, 893 knows the details..

I haven't made any great effort to get the watch, I am on the waiting list with just one AD. I don't know where I am on the list. When I went on the list I think I was 5th or 6th, that was last summer. No idea how quickly that must moves and I presume other, valuable customers would skip me on the list without my ever knowing. I also think some people are on lots of lists and maybe not everyone on the list will actually take a watch if offered one.

I rang maybe 15 ADs throughout the UK and none would sell me the watch or put me on a waiting list, exchange rate was working out a lot more attractive for a UK purchase when I last checked.

To be honest, I find the whole thing (orchestrated waiting lists) a bit sad and it puts me off.... I'd have bought one last summer if one was available, but now I probably wouldn't.

I wouldn't buy one and flip it, I think it's pretty lousy behaviour and, personally, I wouldn't pay one euro over the list price for a watch that is available new from someone who did that and wouldn't do it myself....

Very tempting to just buy something else (the grand seiko, at times a moonwatch but can't get on board with the self winding of the original style one for the money), a sea master, various Nomos)...

Ps, yes if you are offered the watch it is at RRP but I think its a case of getting a phone call and I wonder if you missed the call do they just ring straight away to the next person, or give you a voicemail and a few hours to get back?! I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Can I change my mind?

6d58cca61649a5fd25ec30d6015f4a90.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Can I change my mind?

I was actually going to post that having met you, a BNLR might seem a little small on your wrist, A dweller would be a better fit IMHO....and cool as all F**k

And I always thought I had small wrists!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Also want to try and reduce the amount of watches I have to 6 or less! So difficult though.

And I always thought I had small wrists!

It not the wrists, your a tall man and that turtle doesn't look big on you. GMT2 and subs all wear a little small.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have my eye on the following to add to a collection I've only started building up in the last twelve months:

Seiko Presage Cocktail
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 Day Date in blue
    Mondaine Evo SBB Automatic 41mm
    Something from my birth year (1988) - Omega Seamaster or a Rolex
    A Pepsi diver - don't know which one

Will probably buy max two of the above - or something completely random I see on here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It not the wrists, your a tall man and that turtle doesn't look big on you. GMT2 and subs all wear a little small.

I disagree, I find the wider shoulders on the ceramic model makes a big difference. I have a pudgy arm and don’t think the sub wears small at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I have my eye on the following to add to a collection I've only started building up in the last twelve months:

Seiko Presage Cocktail

Will probably buy max two of the above - or something completely random I see on here

SKX007 for the diver my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've been trying to settle on something for a while .. maybe a seamaster but I've been looking at Gran seikos and thinking they might suit me.. something different.. I don't usually go for the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Normally I have a running wish list but for now I am honestly content with what I have. Not saying I won't buy at some point, but for certain it will be a Seiko.

Actually I might just buy a bunch of green Sumo's to tease Deep Thought :D

Frankie do the fifty fathoms mod yourself, it's not too hard and you will enjoy it much more. The first two mods I done myself were the fifty fathoms and black bay. Dagaz have also released some new dials for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

HDMI wrote: »
    Normally I have a running wish list but for now I am honestly content with what I have. Not saying I won't buy at some point, but for certain it will be a Seiko.

Actually I might just buy a bunch of green Sumo's to tease Deep Thought :D

Frankie do the fifty fathoms mod yourself, it's not too hard and you will enjoy it much more. The first two mods I done myself were the fifty fathoms and black bay. Dagaz have also released some new dials for it.
    Hi hdmi,
    Apologies for asking but I think you are US based ? I'm going to be spending the summer months around the Boston area and thinking of picking up a watch while there. Have you any advice on sales or shops to look at? I know say there's no sales tax in new Hampshire but I have seen many high end watch shops while on work trips there.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Trying not to buy with out selling.

Considering moving on my Monaco.

On the wish list

Glashütte Panoreserve
    Rolex Hulk
    Speedy Tuesday 1
    Jlc ultra thin moon

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Hi hdmi,
    Apologies for asking but I think you are US based ? I'm going to be spending the summer months around the Boston area and thinking of picking up a watch while there. Have you any advice on sales or shops to look at? I know say there's no sales tax in new Hampshire but I have seen many high end watch shops while on work trips there.
    Cheers,
    Mick

I am in a small town over here and no stores with anything worth buying, unless you fancy an Invicta at Jcpenney :eek:

My sister and her husband spent some time in Boston last year and found it extremely expensive compared to other places. I would say go to any store and try on some watches, when you find one you like go online and buy it from Ashford or Jomashop or other online sellers and save some cash. There are a few other guys who holiday in that area maybe they will be able to offer local suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Heading to the States in April for my 40th, so I'll be treating myself to something nice.. I'm in 2/3 minds though

An Oris Aquis blue face on rubber https://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-01-733-7730-4135-07-4-24-65eb.html

Or forking out a bit more for a Omega Speedmaster racing on rubber https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-32632405002001.html

I do like pilot watches too, so this Oris might be on the radar too https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/oris/bc4/bc4-chronograph/01674761641540752258.pid?nid=cpg_cat6047&so=3

I'll probably be back here looking for recommendations! I won't be spending more that €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Can I change my mind?

Thats the watch i really want the james cameron deepsea but its just too expensive and the prices keep going up.

At €11,850 RRP it sure is a lot of money. But I wouldn't call it too expensive as because of the artificial shortage Rolex is creating, the watch is worth several thousand more than that in the open market, even second hand. So if you can get it at the RRP, it is a bit of a bargain :)

Provided you cover yourself for damage / loss / theft, I'd even call it a sound investment if you buy it at RRP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Teddy Picker

A Nomos Tangente 38 non-date for me. Prefer this particular watch without the date window, I think it looks more balanced.

Long term I'd love to buy a Rolex Submariner next year, but with waiting lists that may be a much longer term goal.

893bet wrote: »

Glashütte Panoreserve
    Rolex Hulk
    Speedy Tuesday 1
    Jlc ultra thin moon

The Glashütte Panoreserve is a smashing watch. In blue it just oozes class.

The GO Senator perpetual calendar is a beautiful watch and I will own one in the distant future.

Going to scratch the Rolex itch, move it on and buy the Senator and everything in life will be rosey :D:D:D

oxocube wrote: »
    The Glashütte Panoreserve is a smashing watch. In blue it just oozes class.

Blue is preference (sucker for blue), followed by grey.

Hoping to get a try on of one or both next week. Suspect they wear big enough though!
    Going to scratch the Rolex itch, move it on and buy the Senator and everything in life will be rosey :D:D:D

The road to hell is paved with good intentions...........

893bet wrote: »
    Blue is preference (sucker for blue), followed by grey.

Hoping to get a try on of one or both next week. Suspect they wear big enough

Where can you try them on? Surely not in Dublin?

Where can you try them on? Surely not in Dublin?

No AD in Ireland. In london for a few days so hoping to pass near one of the big ADs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A Nomos Tangente 38 non-date for me. Prefer this particular watch without the date window, I think it looks more balanced.

Long term I'd love to buy a Rolex Submariner next year, but with waiting lists that may be a much longer term goal.

Spent ages decided this myself but went with the date myself, would have gone 35 for the no date. The seconds dial is perfectly centred on the 35, while the 38 is clearly spaced for a date aperture and looks too high without.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Teddy Picker

Spent ages decided this myself but went with the date myself, would have gone 35 for the no date. The seconds dial is perfectly centred on the 35, while the 38 is clearly spaced for a date aperture and looks too high without.

Interesting point Oafley, I'm going to end up side by side comparing photos now to see this, and probably drive myself mad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Seiko Presage Cocktail

SKX007 for the diver my man.
    And I now have an SKX009 on my wrist thanks to your wise suggestion. 

Next on the list is something dressier as I wear a suit most days, Seiko Presage Cocktail Time is current favourite but not certain.

Then someone close to me is selling an unused blue Tag Heuer Carrera - might have to sell my Longines Hydroconquest Chrono to get close to a price with him.

In 2019 I plan on going on and on about a ceramic daytona till my family and friends are borded to death and still never getting one. Once they become available Rolex will have released a new one with a slightly different clasp, or bezel or movement and then I will want that one.
    Provided you cover yourself for damage / loss / theft, I'd even call it a sound investment if you buy it at RRP...

The greatest trick Rolex ever played is make us believe that someday, some how we will be "allowed" buy one at RRP.

• Advertisement

The greatest trick Rolex ever played is make us believe that someday, some how we will be "allowed" buy one at RRP.

Once you make it onto a waiting list of an AD and then eventually make it to the top of one, surely you are "allowed" to buy one at RRP?

Advertisement