Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A slice of ham in the school lunch box, is like sending them to school with 5 fags

Options
  • 19-01-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Heard this on radio one today, where in the **** is the head of board bia and our icbf head or teagasc or our farmers unions, is there any one to explain how irish farming. What are we paying our subs for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Maybe you would be better reading up on the facts rather than a knee jerk denial - it's well know for years that the chemicals used in ham processing are carcinogenic - ergo yes, ham is the equivalent of cigarettes. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

What exactly would you like Bord Bia or the IFA to say in defense of the indefensible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Heard this on radio one today, where in the **** is the head of board bia and our icbf head or teagasc or our farmers unions, is there any one to explain how irish farming. What are we paying our subs for

The IFA lad was on both tv and radio during the week on a number of occasions. However the agenda coming from on high appears to be '4 legs bad', and it is the hot topic on all stations, public and private now.

Kinda reminds me of the public sector/ private sector debates over 10 years ago. What started off as a small kernal suddenly snowballed.

I'll hazard a guess and say that the Sindo and the other rags will be cover to cover with so called 'experts' denigrating meat and espousing the value of 'legumes'. Heard that one a few times today.

Agenda being pushed now for increased carbon taxes and for the farmers to be taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Maybe you would be better reading up on the facts rather than a knee jerk denial - it's well know for years that the chemicals used in ham processing are carcinogenic - ergo yes, ham is the equivalent of cigarettes. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

What exactly would you like Bord Bia or the IFA to say in defense of the indefensible?

That's a false equivalence. Nuts have cyanide in them but you wouldn't call them poison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The IFA lad was on both tv and radio during the week on a number of occasions. However the agenda coming from on high appears to be '4 legs bad', and it is the hot topic on all stations, public and private now.

Kinda reminds me of the public sector/ private sector debates over 10 years ago. What started off as a small kernal suddenly snowballed.

I'll hazard a guess and say that the Sindo and the other rags will be cover to cover with so called 'experts' denigrating meat and espousing the value of 'legumes'. Heard that one a few times today.

Agenda being pushed now for increased carbon taxes and for the farmers to be taken on.

All as a result of a government which didn't bother its arse about the 2020 carbon targets till it was too late and is now planning to stick the agri sector with the bill .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Maybe say that correlation does not equal causation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

All as a result of a government which didn't bother its arse about the 2020 carbon targets till it was too late and is now planning to stick the agri sector with the bill .

Exactly. FG afraid to implement anything and now it's getting too late. Sooner or later they are going to have to grasp the nettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Some background on this 'study'. The Lancet is not the publication it once was and this will ultimately damage its credibility. However this is a cause du jour amongst lefty media types.
    It does need to be challenged more forcefully

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/globe-trotting-billionaire-behind-campaign-13872067?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

But why blame either the hard pressed housewife/mother or the farmer. Make the processors/supermarkets sort it out. It's not us that are adding the nitrites

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Some background on this 'study'. The Lancet is not the publication it once was and this will ultimately damage its credibility. However this is a cause du jour amongst lefty media types.
    It does need to be challenged more forcefully

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/globe-trotting-billionaire-behind-campaign-13872067?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

This was floating around last week from the European Food Agency.
    https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053

It's a pity our esteemed Irish media never received this before Lancet dropped a newsdump on their desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's a pity our esteemed Irish media never received this before Lancet dropped a newsdump on their desks.

The conclusion there contains the big issue for climate change. RAMPANT CONSUMERISM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

So is farm to fork not worth anything? Where are the chemicals introduced?
    We have one if the best tracing systems in the world with a quality approval system to match it.

If it is the equivalent of five fags i'd be I'd be dead a long time ago. I'm eating ham sambos since I'm five years old and I'm perfectly healthy according to my last nct.

Can't beat the ham sambos. If you were ever cutting hay and the missus arrives in the Ford Sierra with the tae and ham sambos you would ate them alive sitting on the wheel of the baler.

I remember going to the mart as a young lad and the highlight was going upstairs to the canteen and having the ould ham sambos. White bread, mistard and salt and vinegar crisps all packed into that sambo. Would keep ya going for the day. Them women knew how to lay on a feed and if ya wanted a few more bits she would throw them in, and no extra charge unlike today. There was some ****e on the walls of that place but nobody noticed cos the food and craic was pure mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Well spotted sir. This whole lancet article is fueled by an agenda. The minute I saw world wildlife fund mentioned I just guffawed. The biggest bleedin’ heart organization since the sweepstakes.
    Cheap ham is **** all the same. But so are cheap wines, cheap household solvents etc. I think there is an orchestrated plan to throw livestock farming under the bus and make it more uneconomical than it already is so that we cut down and the powers that be can cook the books and statistics with regard to emissions and green house gases. That will pacify the mob and leave bigger culprits like air travel and dirty industries off the hook for 10 years or so. The timing of it all suits. There is some power in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Exactly. FG afraid to implement anything and now it's getting too late. Sooner or later they are going to have to grasp the nettle.

They should grasp it and make soup.
    Seriously it is delicious and very good for you.
    Get planting now :)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/gardening/treat-yourself-tosome-delicious-nettle-soup-393585.html

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

A few days ago the EAT report was printed in the Lancet.It then became the EAT-Lancet report,now the RTE hacks are referring to it as the Lancet comission.Then the Taoiseach for fear of upsetting the voters inside the pale said he was cutting back on his meat intake.And there was me thinking he liked to get his hands on meat and two veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Highly processed foods, including meats should be minimised or avoided.

We don’t buy sliced ham for lunches, we cook a small ham and slice it at home. The kids prefer it to sliced ham, it just takes a bit more effort.

Mostly we have hams from pigs we reared and slaughtered ourselves.

Same for sausages, we “try” to keep it to once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

The Rabbi wrote: »
    A few days ago the EAT report was printed in the Lancet.It then became the EAT-Lancet report,now the RTE hacks are referring to it as the Lancet comission.Then the Taoiseach for fear of upsetting the voters inside the pale said he was cutting back on his meat intake.And there was me thinking he liked to get his hands on meat and two veg.
    Describe in your own words how snide homophobic digs advances your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Then the Taoiseach for fear of upsetting the voters inside the pale said he was cutting back on his meat intake.And there was me thinking he liked to get his hands on meat and two veg.

Is that how your mind works? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Since we have attracted a few vegans and townies who haven't a clue how soil or diet or anything works but always seem to be constantly outraged and gleefully telling us country bumpkins what to do.

Let me post a link to a truthful insight into the Lancet report on diet.

https://sustainabledish.com/20-ways-eat-lancets-global-diet-is-wrongfully-vilifying-meat/

Posters could also send on this link to various politicians and namely an Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Let me post a link to a truthful insight into the Lancet report on diet.

'Truth', does it actually exist, or are we just being bombarded with information from all sides, each with their own agendas attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In a way irish farming, and Bord bia Could probably jump on this... Low input beef and dairy... To be marketed at a premium...(although that's kind of the niche organics fills, and its already a trusted brand)
    (We're not exactly a major tillage power, what's grown here is mainly for animal feed and booze..)
    But ultimately, farmers will follow the money,
    Most aren't ideologicaly attached to sucklers, or dairy or tillage, they want to work for a living...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

_Brian wrote: »
    Highly processed foods, including meats should be minimised or avoided.

We don’t buy sliced ham for lunches, we cook a small ham and slice it at home. The kids prefer it to sliced ham, it just takes a bit more effort.

Mostly we have hams from pigs we reared and slaughtered ourselves.

Same for sausages, we “try” to keep it to once a week.

Every one will agree processed foods should be avoided but not many working people have time for cooking hams,homemade bread or even healthy breakfast !!
    For instance it takes me 20 minutes per day just to cook porridge for the family if you include washing up after .I just get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning but my day could easily be taking up preparing home cooked meals.Instead i end up buying sliced pans,packaged ham,3 for €10 packed meats on offer in supermarket .I am not a millonaire ,I do the best i can to eat healthy .I have seen plenty of people who ate nothing but wholesome organic foods,never drank or smoke still die of cancer so is all this over the top healthy eating really worth a damn at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a few ideas, there is a lot more on line if you look.

Cheaper cuts.
    Slow cooker.
    Batch cooking.
    Deep freeze.

Even if you are not doing it for health or environmental reasons home cooking is actually easier on the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

cute geoge wrote: »
    Every one will agree processed foods should be avoided but not many working people have time for cooking hams,homemade bread or even healthy breakfast !!
    For instance it takes me 20 minutes per day just to cook porridge for the family if you include washing up after .I just get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning but my day could easily be taking up preparing home cooked meals.Instead i end up buying sliced pans,packaged ham,3 for €10 packed meats on offer in supermarket .I am not a millonaire ,I do the best i can to eat healthy .I have seen plenty of people who ate nothing but wholesome organic foods,never drank or smoke still die of cancer so is all this over the top healthy eating really worth a damn at the end of the day

I think you have to do the best you can - just cos you know someone who smoked and lived til 90, and someone who ran marathons who does at 40 shouldn’t make you less or more healthy...there will always be exceptions...

Whatever about healthy eating, one thing I know I don’t get enough of is sleep... I think decent sleep every night is as important as diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'Truth', does it actually exist, or are we just being bombarded with information from all sides, each with their own agendas attached?

Nope, truth doesn't exist. I'm including a link to a nutrient analysis of the diet recommended by that body.
    https://www.foodandfarmingfutures.co.uk/PrestoMobile#/details/ZWVhNzBlY2QtZWJjNi00YWZiLWE1MTAtNWExOTFiMjJjOWU1LjE4MzM3
    You'd imagine after all that time and effort in producing a report on diet, the most basic aspect of diet, does it contain sufficient nutrients to feed those following it, would have been foremost in their mind?

Obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

back in september they published this , good old butter and dairy,
    They must have got a new veggie lover on board,
    Linky https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-09/tl-tld091018.php

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Here's a link to a twitter conversation around some waffle printed in the Irish examiner yesterday. While editors allow this to happen, there is no hope

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShaneMcAuliffe1/status/1086672542163763201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

This is the #metoo movement vegan version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

I be of an age when a bottle of tea was sent out the field to you and finger marks on the turnover you ate it because you were so hungry trying to get bailing done etc, I had tests done last week got the doctor report back all clear moderation of eating, drinking, etc means a lot if you are lucky enough to get away with a clean bill of health is a bonus when you hit middle age.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 turfin

That Guardian article relates to discredited “epidemiological“ studies which are based on bad data and show associations not causation. This association vs causation seems to be one of the most insurmountable cognitive challenges, some (maybe most) people just cannot see the difference. Vested interests such as processed food industry, vegans lobbyists and more use these nonsense studies to promote their own agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

cute geoge wrote: »

We both work and two school going kids.

Porridge two mornings min amd it takes maybe 5 minutes in microwave. Washing up, everything needs washing up, dishwasher does that.

Fresh bread every day, either bread maker or in the oven depending on what we want, done night before.

Ham into the slow cooker the evening before it’s needed and it’s cool ready to cut in the morning.

It’s very possible to eat well and be busy, it just takes planning and effort, people convince themselves it isn’t possible so they don’t have to try.

Advertisement