Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, the size of the game is still blowing me away every time I open the map. I reckon I've a good 30-40 hours put into it, and only about 35% of the map uncovered. It's quite annoying that some of the cultists are locked behind side missions, especially one for the Eyes of Kosmos. That took all my spare time last night as I finished mission after mission to get the cultist to pop.

But, with the changes they've made since launch, this game is just so much fun. I'm still not far enough in the story to see how it truly links to the AC universe, so looking forward to that, whenever it happens! I think i'm going to focus on the main missions for a while. I think I heard someone mention to complete the story and then work on the side stuff, so might go that way. I want to go to the arena, but it's 9km away and while it would only be about 10 minutes of sailing, there's so much else to do nearby, I can't let my boat just sail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I remember the first time I got in the boat and thought "This game map is huge!" It was a while later before I zoomed out fully on the map and found out I was still only in the top left corner in the map :D Hadn't even scratched the surface. It's a huge map, but with all the fast travel options and speed of traversal on land, it never feels like a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yeah, the size of the game is still blowing me away every time I open the map. I reckon I've a good 30-40 hours put into it, and only about 35% of the map uncovered. It's quite annoying that some of the cultists are locked behind side missions, especially one for the Eyes of Kosmos. That took all my spare time last night as I finished mission after mission to get the cultist to pop.

But, with the changes they've made since launch, this game is just so much fun. I'm still not far enough in the story to see how it truly links to the AC universe, so looking forward to that, whenever it happens! I think i'm going to focus on the main missions for a while. I think I heard someone mention to complete the story and then work on the side stuff, so might go that way. I want to go to the arena, but it's 9km away and while it would only be about 10 minutes of sailing, there's so much else to do nearby, I can't let my boat just sail there.

Let the game take you to the Arena instead of actively seeking it out :D

Let the game take you to the Arena instead of actively seeking it out :D

I was thinking that, i started towards it last night again, but stopped off at Mykonos as I had an expensive prostitute to drop off there, and I was sick of the grey diamond on my boat and 'Quest nearby' on my HUD. I'll just let it happen. I like the way the missions scale with you, so I know I won't miss anything anyway if I take my time. Just the next lad in the Mercenary list is at the Arena. I'll hunt cultists en route, need 7 more pieces to get level 5 on the Spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just started this two nights ago, finished chapter 2 last night. I'm loving it. Loads to do.
    Sooo much more enjoyable than RDR2 imo.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that, i started towards it last night again, but stopped off at Mykonos as I had an expensive prostitute to drop off there, and I was sick of the grey diamond on my boat and 'Quest nearby' on my HUD. I'll just let it happen. I like the way the missions scale with you, so I know I won't miss anything anyway if I take my time. Just the next lad in the Mercenary list is at the Arena. I'll hunt cultists en route, need 7 more pieces to get level 5 on the Spear.

I wouldn't worry about hitting the Mercs in any real kind of order. I think so long as you kill a Merc above you, you all move up one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Penn wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about hitting the Mercs in any real kind of order. I think so long as you kill a Merc above you, you all move up one place.

I'm not paying attention to the Mercs at all, but I'm up near the top of Tier 7, just killing whoever I come across. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What a game!! Been playing all weekend. The scope is huuuge.
    Wasn't expecting the cultists... the upgrade of the spear...the mercenaries...the crafting...the ship
    . Class game. Was never a big Assassins Creed fan, (played AC1, black flag and Origins) but it got too repetitive for me ... but this has me hooked !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    What a game!! Been playing all weekend. The scope is huuuge.
    Wasn't expecting the cultists... the upgrade of the spear...the mercenaries...the crafting...the ship
    . Class game. Was never a big Assassins Creed fan, (played AC1, black flag and Origins) but it got too repetitive for me ... but this has me hooked !!
    The spear
    was a big let down for me, they didn't really delve into exactly what was happening with it each time, which i thought could have been more interesting.

I've been sick for the last 2 days, and played a good 6-8 hours. Progressed the story a bit, got to Naxos with the main quest.
    Reuniting with mammy was nice, more emotional than I thought but, like all good AC games, quickly got over the heartfelt stuff and got back to murdering! Plus, Phoebe finally bit the bullet, saw that coming a mile off, thought it could have been done better. Also, the end of the Perikles arc was weird and sudden.
    I am quite invested in the story now, and can't wait to see what happens. Looking forward to that final fight with
    the bro
    , should be interesting, and to finally find out the craic behind the cultists.

Apparently, I've already beaten a legendary ship, as I have the achievement, so no idea when that happened. I feel once I've finished the story, there will still be so much to do and see. As Nerdlingr says, the scope is huge. I can't believe it's not more lauded for what they have done. I thought the draw distance in RDR2 was brilliant, but this is something else. The lighting from far away islands is not generic, it's very specific to the island you're looking at, and if you travel there you will see the sources are accurate. It's just so well made. Granted, it's not as graphically perfect as RDR2 (as perfect as those games can get), but I never once thought something looked out of place or wrong.

Performance wise, I did have a recurring CTD, have reported it. Basically, near the finish of the Kyra questline, all that was left on Demos before heading across the pond to back to Mykonos to finish the quest, there was 1 underwater location between the 2. From my load, I got the boat to the underwater location, got it, got back on the boat and head towards Mykonos, and CTD, every time. Happened 5 times before I decided to not get the location and it worked fine then.

Just had a mad idea! Imagine if AC Odyssey, somehow for the PS4 version, got Kratos as a hidden boss!!!

• Advertisement

Performance wise, I did have a recurring CTD, have reported it. Basically, near the finish of the Kyra questline, all that was left on Demos before heading across the pond to back to Mykonos to finish the quest, there was 1 underwater location between the 2. From my load, I got the boat to the underwater location, got it, got back on the boat and head towards Mykonos, and CTD, every time. Happened 5 times before I decided to not get the location and it worked fine then.

Yeah there is something wrong with the game. I had a good few crashes with it myself on PS4, particularly in Forts, where audio would continue but the screen would either freeze completely, or freeze for a few seconds, go for a half second, freeze etc until it permanently froze.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah there is something wrong with the game. I had a good few crashes with it myself on PS4, particularly in Forts, where audio would continue but the screen would either freeze completely, or freeze for a few seconds, go for a half second, freeze etc until it permanently froze.

Oh yeah, that too. It's a strange one, as you can still move, but really slowly and choppy, but if you manage to turn 180°, and look back at where you came from, it plays normally again. And if you go back the way you came, and go around and approach from the other side, it doesn't happen.

Not experienced that on Xbox. Though a few times I've loaded the game and gone to check the map and got a black screen and had to quit from the dash.

Playing the new DLC at the minute , it's fine, more of the same really. Not far enough in to rate the story yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing this on and off since release on PC.
    I lost faith with the series but this move to rpg elements and much better combat is a breath of fresh air.
    Its like a less boring witcher 3 with 10x better combat making it a lot more fun and better game imho.

I put 60 hours into it and still only lvl 36 but a certain Monster Hunter World has taken me away since xmas but i will return, planning to play some tonight :)

Im torn between ACO and MHW as my GOTY ,Odyssey was my choice until i arived late to the MHW party.
    Id probably give it to MHW because of its massive endgame but ACO just keeps on getting more and more content, they know they are onto a winner with this franchise once again.

So, I finally ended up going to Thera last night, (mid-game)
    and met Daddy. Pythagoras. Wasn't expecting that. Also knew from the incessant advertising that Atlantis was part of DLC, didn't realise it would play into the main story and has made me want to get the Season Pass so I can go through that barrier and explore Atlantis!! Also completely forgot about the modern day part until it pulled me out of the Animus. I was like, 'that loading screen is different' and I was back as yer one, quick modern day scuba-diving and back into it again. I had to more or less leave it at that then, but I am really pumped to move forward now. I did go and do the first 3 fights in the arena, seeing as i was nearby, and I'm only level 36 myself so I'll have to come back for the last 2 fights, will probably wait until end-game to do it.

I have a quick question for people who are at/beyond this point,
    which Odyssey quest should I pursue now? Atlantis or Mammy? Does it matter? I feel like the game is pushing me towards helping Pythagoras and sealing Atlantis, but I still want to see how Kass and Co. Kill one of the Spartan Kings (it's going to be the Wolf, it has to be, even though I left him live and everyone thinks he's dead/I killed him).

I have a quick question for people who are at/beyond this point,
    which Odyssey quest should I pursue now? Atlantis or Mammy? Does it matter? I feel like the game is pushing me towards helping Pythagoras and sealing Atlantis, but I still want to see how Kass and Co. Kill one of the Spartan Kings (it's going to be the Wolf, it has to be, even though I left him live and everyone thinks he's dead/I killed him).

The best order to do the main Odyssey stuff in my opinion is
    Family - Cult - Atlantis. You pretty much need to be level 50 for some of the Atlantis stuff, whereas I think the recommended level for the end of the family storyline is 35 (but it'll scale up with you a bit if you're above that anyway). Then many of the Cultists are Level 50 too. You could do Atlantis before finishing off the Cultists, but for me I think the last Atlantis bits tie up the story in a better way.

Though the first part/artifact of the Atlantis quest can be done pretty much straight away. The other three parts are best saved for the endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ok so managed to bag this for €24 on PC, based on the stellar amount of thumbs up here, I decided to give AC one last try.. If i grow to hate it, ill never play AC again.... Or trust any of you bastards ever again :mad::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Still haven't got around to playing this. A long time Assassin's Creed fan....but some reviews about AC Odyssey have been putting me off getting it.

Is the combat in any way similar to AC Origins?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nix wrote: »
    Ok so managed to bag this for €24 on PC, based on the stellar amount of thumbs up here, I decided to give AC one last try.. If i grow to hate it, ill never play AC again.... Or trust any of you bastards ever again :mad::pac:

Hell of a bargain , many many hours of very good gaming hours.
    Still haven't got around to playing this. A long time Assassin's Creed fan....but some reviews about AC Odyssey have been putting me off getting it.

Is the combat in any way similar to AC Origins?

Yes sort of, Origins was the foundation Odyssey was built on but they refined the combat of Origins for Odyssey.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I only got around 6-8 hours into Origins, but have over 40 in Odyssey. Far far better game.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I only got around 6-8 hours into Origins, but have over 40 in Odyssey. Far far better game.

Yeah I couldn't get into Origins at all after about 4 hours. Just wasn't doing anything for me. Odyssey had me hooked almost from the start though, especially the combat which I found much more enjoyable from the off.

Combat in Odyssey is fantastic, and far superior to Origins, to the point that it's difficult now to play other games with less intricate combat systems.

I still think God of War beats it but agreed.

Haven't had the pleasure of playing this yet. Waiting for my bro to finish so I can steal his PS4

tusk wrote: »
    Haven't had the pleasure of playing this yet. Waiting for my bro to finish so I can steal his PS4

It's probably good you're playing Odyssey first so, the combat in Odyssey is possibly the best in an AC game thus far, but GoW took a similar format and made such a good job of it, without making it too hard, like other games which we're not allowed to compare to, because 'git gud' apparently.

I still love Odyssey, but the combat in GoW is where i'd imagine most of these hack n slash type games will head. I think Darksiders 3 tried something similar, but had to introduce an easy classic mode to appease people. Haven't had the pleasure myself yet though, so can't say.

I never found myself getting frustrated with it and any time I died always knew it was my fault.

This, haven't had that feeling in many other games, but it was literally always my fault in GoW. Especially against the Valkyries. I want to play it for the first time again...

I finished the second DLC the other night , wasn't too pleased but certainly not nearly as outraged as some of the internet is about it.

They really did dig a hole though promising BIG SPOILER
    freedom in romance and then railroading you into having a child

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Enjoying it so far, the quests are a lot better than prior game, which was the biggest let down for me in Origins.

What build did everybody go? im focusing on assassin tree at the moment. The poison didnt do as well as i had thought it was going to, maybe gets better further down the tree?

I've only used it on the first level 5 dood hunting me really so far, didnt seem to do much to him :(

Advertisement