Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That trailer's weird, it felt like it was more dramedy than the daftness of the actual show; maybe it's just me.

I quite liked the documentary episode. Definitely something different, and latched onto the undercurrent of Kimmy's life in the bunker in a way that was only ever hinted at. Unconventional but I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I've come to the conclusion hes actually not very good and still living off the office (which was wayyyyyyy better with Steve Carrell), I used enjoy his podcasts with Karl Pilkington and Merchant, but as an actor / writer, hes up to f**k all.

Extras is pure rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

Couldn't disagree more on the Office, the UK version was a far better show. Extra's was overall decent but nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You can't even compare UK and US Office.. I love them both but they're related by name alone, they're two completely different shows!

The UK Office was a breath of fresh air.. it was witty, well-observed, sometimes edgy.

The US Office was also excellent - very well-written, with an equally fantastic supporting cast to Carrell's show-stealing Michael - though it was often FAR more "slapsticky" than the UK show it was based on.

Having just rewatched the US Office in the last two months in it's entirety.. the final 2 seasons without Carrell were an absolute waste of time.. but the UK show ended on a high IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The UK Office was a masterpiece!

76AYV0m.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i hated the first season of the US office as it had to follow the same story lines as the original and the US characters just weren't up to it (Tim& Dawn way better than Jim & Pam) but it did improve after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Is there no love for Derek? Gervais best work and IMO the best English TV show in the last 10+ years.

Is there no love for Derek? Gervais best work and IMO the best English TV show in the last 10+ years.

the funny bits were very funny but a bit too sentimental at times

Gervais is at his best when working with Stephen Merchant (the office, extras , Life's Too Short, Cemetery Junction (which i think is very underrated )
    Ghost town was ok
    invention of lying was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭tigger123

While I'm a fan of some of Gervais's work, Derek was cringey, and really poor.

It reminded me of Ben Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Basq wrote: »
    You can't even compare UK and US Office.. I love them both but they're related by name alone, they're two completely different shows!

The UK Office was a breath of fresh air.. it was witty, well-observed, sometimes edgy.

The US Office was also excellent - very well-written, with an equally fantastic supporting cast to Carrell's show-stealing Michael - though it was often FAR more "slapsticky" than the UK show it was based on.

Having just rewatched the US Office in the last two months in it's entirety.. the final 2 seasons without Carrell were an absolute waste of time.. but the UK show ended on a high IMO.

I sort of agree and also I don't. :D

Much as admire the original Office for the ground it broke I always found it a tough watch; more excruciating than funny.

The US Office is genuinely one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think people hold against it the fact that it's an American adaptation and they have a bad track record. But there was a serious pedigree of talent involved in the show. I wouldn't describe it as slapsticky at all. Definitely more far-fetched than the UK version but the writing and performances are sublime.

First season (only six episodes) is before they find their feet and the last two seasons are definitely weaker, and suffer more on rewatches, but still contain some great scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Finished dogs of Berlin,pretty good overall, should have left out that 'football' coverage though. Definitely not tame anyways.

I'm quite enjoying ' titans ' it's bat**** crazy and very violent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just thinking with the Marvel series likely finished after Jessica Jones, what series have we coming in the future?
    I know we have the new Stranger Things, Lucifer season 4 and I know they have the Narnia and Locke & Key shows in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just thinking with the Marvel series likely finished after Jessica Jones, what series have we coming in the future?
    I know we have the new Stranger Things, Lucifer season 4 and I know they have the Narnia and Locke & Key shows in the pipeline.

The new series I'm most interested in are The Witcher, The Dark Crystal, Nightflyers, and Our Planet (Attenborough-narrated series). Not sure of the exact release dates.

How could I forget The Dark Crystal. Looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 60,485 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucifer season 4 is being made by amazon

I was thinking that as well since they showed the first 3 here, but Netflix was the saviour. I googled to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Extras is pure rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

Completely disagree. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,485 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was thinking
    that as well since they showed the first 3 here, but Netflix was the saviour. I googled to confirm

Excellent I really though amazon had won the race for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Any good international series or movies pop up or recommend lately ?

Loved trapped, deadwind, money heist occupied etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

spuddy90 wrote: »

Season 2 of Trapped has started, though I don't see it online anywhere.

The Punisher Season 2

Grace and Frankie season 5

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 EP1
    After a century of silence, war erupts between the Federation and Klingon Empire, with a disgraced Starfleet officer at the center of the conflict

Trolls: The Beat Goes On! season 5

IO (2019)
    As a young scientist searches for a way to save a dying Earth, she finds a connection with a man who's racing to catch the last shuttle off the planet

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (2019) 1hr 37m [15] The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience on a posh private island, but it failed spectacularly in the hands of a cocky entrepreneur

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike Season 1
    In this funny and provocative series, rapper and activist Killer Mike puts his revolutionary ideas about achieving social change into action..

Patria (Spanish) Paco Ignacio Taibo II brings his book trilogy to life, highlighting Mexico's history in 1854-1867, a period he considers foundational to the country

Carmen Sandiego Season 1
    A master thief who uses her skills for good, Carmen Sandiego travels the world foiling V.I.L.E.'s evil plans -- with help from her savvy sidekicks
    ED TV (feel good Matthew McConaughey comedy)

K-9

Pitch Perfect

Paranorman

Senna

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Lady-Like
    Share: After she pushes her best friend Kort to date a handsome transfer student, college student Allie is left to tackle adulthood on her own.

Legends of Strength Season 1
    From a circus entertainer to a grip master, meet the bodybuilding heroes who defied physical limits and redefined the meaning of strength

Strongland
    From Spain's countryside to Scotland's stony terrain, this collection of uplifting documentaries explores the cultural roots of great strongman traditions.

Memory Love season 1
    Losing her memory -- and her boyfriend -- after a car accident, Jia-en crosses paths with a heart transplant recipient who helps her recall her past.

Added today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

1st ep of S2 of Star Trek Discovery and Punisher Season 2 was also added today.

1st ep of S2 of Star Trek Discovery and Punisher Season 2 was also added today.

I'm still adding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is trapped on Irish netflix? I cant seem to find it.
    I watched a couple of episodes online but never went back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Currently most of the way through The Break, which is set in Belgium. Pretty dark, in some ways, but have enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

peteeeed wrote: »
    I'm still adding :)

ah right haha :)

ah right haha :)

there is a lot today , some decent stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

peteeeed wrote: »
    IO (2019)
    As a young scientist searches for a way to save a dying Earth, she finds a connection with a man who's racing to catch the last shuttle off the planet

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (2019) 1hr 37m [15] The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience on a posh private island, but it failed spectacularly in the hands of a cocky entrepreneur

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike Season 1
    In this funny and provocative series, rapper and activist Killer Mike puts his revolutionary ideas about achieving social change into action..

Patria (Spanish) Paco Ignacio Taibo II brings his book trilogy to life, highlighting Mexico's history in 1854-1867, a period he considers foundational to the country

Carmen Sandiego Season 1
    A master thief who uses her skills for good, Carmen Sandiego travels the world foiling V.I.L.E.'s evil plans -- with help from her savvy sidekicks
    ED TV (feel good Matthew McConaughey comedy)

K-9

Pitch Perfect

Paranorman

Senna

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Lady-Like
    Share: After she pushes her best friend Kort to date a handsome transfer student, college student Allie is left to tackle adulthood on her own.

Legends of Strength Season 1
    From a circus entertainer to a grip master, meet the bodybuilding heroes who defied physical limits and redefined the meaning of strength

Strongland
    From Spain's countryside to Scotland's stony terrain, this collection of uplifting documentaries explores the cultural roots of great strongman traditions.

Memory Love season 1
    Losing her memory -- and her boyfriend -- after a car accident, Jia-en crosses paths with a heart transplant recipient who helps her recall her past.

Added today

Senna is very good, well worth a watch if you have not seen it before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Started You last night, didn't think it would be for me, but then it sucked me in.
    Rather good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement