Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cycling two abreast be allowed?

Options

Comments

Definitely not but really the horse has bolted. The rise in popularity of cycling means that country roads are filled with groups of cyclists riding 3-4 abreast no less two.

I'd prefer if cyclists judged the road and went single file in narrow country roads but that just doesn't happen. So making two abreast legal will just add to the problems there already with cyclists asserting their "right" to cycle two abreast instead of using their judgement based on road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Definitely not but really the horse has bolted. The rise in popularity of cycling means that country roads are filled with groups of cyclists riding 3-4 abreast no less two.

I'd prefer if cyclists judged the road and went single file in narrow country roads but that just doesn't happen. So making two abreast legal will just add to the problems there already with cyclists asserting their "right" to cycle two abreast instead of using their judgement based on road conditions.

Evidence please. Where's your dash cam footage?

Btw, 2 abreast is totally legal at the moment. There is nothing about "making two abreast legal".

In all honestly, cyclists ahead of cars are in a much better position to judge what is safe or not. Give a motorist an inch and many will squeeze by risking the cyclists life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the important thing is for cyclist being assertive and using the correct formation for the road conditions.
    It's very important not to go single file until it is safe for cars behind to overtake as this move can be seen by motorists as indication that all is clear.

Evidence please. Where's your dash cam footage?

Oh go away with your annoying posts, i really couldn't be bothered engaging with you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

“making it legal”? It’s been legal for many, many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

spyderski wrote: »
    “making it legal”? It’s been legal for many, many years.

Wait! does that mean some motorist are also ignorant of the law and it's not just some cyclists? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

mrcheez wrote: »
    Looked at that whole video, the only available opportunity to overtake a SINGLE line of cyclists while providing the requisite 1.5m was right at the end.

Had it not been for the 2 abreast there would have been attempts to squeeze by the group.

Sam has another clip where he dangerously over takes a single cyclist on that same road, he posted it in the dashcam thread and was rightly lambasted for the dangerous maneuver.

He removed the clip shortly after but comparing the 2 clips would show why cyclists are safer 2 abreast.

Oh go away with your annoying posts, i really couldn't be bothered engaging with you:rolleyes:

So you can't engage when asked a question about a claim you made. Stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la, la la....I can't hear you!" :rolleyes: :D

So you can't engage when asked a question about a claim you made. Stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la, la la....I can't hear you!" :rolleyes: :D

la la la la la :D

Ah seriously though, dash cam footage??? :P

la la la la la :D

Ah seriously though, dash cam footage??? :P

You forgot to say that you can't hear me :P

Evidence of more than 2 abreast hasn't been provided by anyone. You are not the only one. So yes, please post the dash cam footage you have proving the point you made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No it shouldn't but it can't be an excuse not to pass them safely though.

_

Patww79 wrote: »
    No it shouldn't but it can't be an excuse not to pad them safely though.

Many people on bikes have well padded ass's already ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Many people on bikes have well padded ass's already ;)

Oops :D

You forgot to say that you can't hear me :P

Evidence of more than 2 abreast hasn't been provided by anyone. You are not the only one. So yes, please post the dash cam footage you have proving the point you made.

Don't have a dash cam- should get one, as obviously video proof in AH is now required to make a point of view :P

Seriously though, every weekend, narrow country roads, continuous white line- especially Sundays, 3-4 abreast is the norm in my experience. It's recommended that cyclists refrain from two abreast on such roads but in my very humble experience, they don't revert to single file on these roads.

Sorry, no evidence. It must be false so. :(

Don't have a dash cam- should get one, as obviously video proof in AH is now required to make a point of view :P

Seriously though, every weekend, narrow country roads, continuous white line- especially Sundays, 3-4 abreast is the norm in my experience. It's recommended that cyclists refrain from two abreast on such roads but in my very humble experience, they don't revert to single file on these roads.

Sorry, no evidence. It must be false so. :(

I'd guess that you don't have great depth perception and so aren't accurately judging what you see when it comes to 3-4 abreast. However, the people on the bikes ahead of you are in a much better position to decide if single file is safer or not.

I'd guess that you don't have great depth perception and so aren't accurately judging what you see when it comes to 3-4 abreast. However, the people on the bikes ahead of you are in a much better position to decide if single file is safer or not.

Assuming that they know what they're doing? Big assumption considering the amount of people taking up cycling for fitness purposes but who haven't familiarised themselves with cycling safety.

Also That assumes that the cyclist knows the road better than the motorist does- on country roads, quite often the motorist knows the road better as they live in the general area so the "reading the road" argument doesn't necessarily hold true in all circumstances .

Assuming that they know what they're doing? Big assumption considering the amount of people taking up cycling for fitness purposes but who haven't familiarised themselves with cycling safety.

Also That assumes that the cyclist knows the road better than the motorist does- on country roads, quite often the motorist knows the road better as they live in the general area so the "reading the road" argument doesn't necessarily hold true in all circumstances .

So you don't think those who have the best view point can't make a better decision that someone that can't see past them? :confused:

Maybe think of it this way....Would you not believe someone who can see to describe something rather than someone blindfolded?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was in the car for eight hours traveling to buy another car today on rural roads and came across a good few cyclists. Two abreast is much safer for all involved, harder to overtake when it's unsafe to overtake, easier to overtake when it's safe to overtake. Much easier to give them plenty of room too.. I'm not a club cyclist and don't cycle for recreation, but I'd encourage them to cycle two abreast all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think the old cycling fad for leisure thing will soon be superseded by something else, and we won’t have to suffer pain-in-the-hole MAMILS cycling 2 and 3 abreast on dangerous rural roads. Golf was created to keep them confined to an enclosed area.

So you don't think those who have the best view point can't make a better decision that someone that can't see past them? :confused:

How can cyclist's have a better view point on a narrow winding twisty country road? Seriously? it's narrow, winding, twisty, probably with a continuous white line in the middle, with warning signs in advance - you don't need to be a bleed'in cyclist to read the road- it's there for everyone to see.

• Advertisement

How can cyclist's have a better view point on a narrow winding twisty country road? Seriously? it's narrow, winding, twisty, probably with a continuous white line in the middle, with warning signs in advance - you don't need to be a bleed'in cyclist to read the road- it's there for everyone to see.

Sounds like a road that’s not safe pass 1 cyclist never mind 2.

Jaysus....I can't believe you actually wrote that! Unless you have X-ray vision, they have a better view point. Actually, if you have x-ray vision they still have a better view of the road ahead.

It sounds like a very dangerous place to try and pass anyone then. The fact that there is a continuous white line would definitely show that they are doing the right thing if they cycle 2 abreast to protect themselves and you from risking everyones lives. Fair play to them.

amcalester wrote: »
    Sounds like a road that’s not safe pass 1 cyclist never mind 2.

so why cycle 3-4 abreast on such a road when recommended by cycling ireland to go single file?

"For narrow roads or where there is other traffic, the group may need to single out and it is essential that this is done smoothly maintaining the existing speed – an agreed system should be used each time e.g. inside rider moves ahead to allow the outside rider slip in behind."

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/ci%20ride%20leader%20-%20guide%20to%20cycling%20on%20the%20road.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How can cyclist's have a better view point on a narrow winding twisty country road?

- Positioned higher than someone sitting back behind a wheel

- Better peripheral vision (no door/structure blocking view)

- Audible cues of upcoming traffic

- Generally more alert rather than confined in a warm environment

I cycle and drive, I'm well versed in both and know how easy it is to get detached from the world around you when one drives.

mrcheez wrote: »
    -

I cycle and drive, I'm well versed in both and know how easy it is to get detached from the world around you when one drives.

remind me not to drive behind you so..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're usually higher up, don't have pillars, blind spots and other visual impediments that car drivers have, they can hear things down the road that drivers can't, they're usually fit and more reactive than drivers, there's four eyes on the road if they're two abreast and they're constantly communicating warnings to each other.

so why cycle 3-4 abreast on such a road when recommended by cycling ireland to go single file?

"For narrow roads or where there is other traffic, the group may need to single out and it is essential that this is done smoothly maintaining the existing speed – an agreed system should be used each time e.g. inside rider moves ahead to allow the outside rider slip in behind."

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/ci%20ride%20leader%20-%20guide%20to%20cycling%20on%20the%20road.pdf

If the road is as narrow as you describe then I doubt they are cycling 3 or 4 abreast, if they were they’d be on the wrong side of the road cycling into oncoming traffic.

Note the word may in your CI link, and then consider who gets to decide when to move into single file.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    They're usually higher up, don't have pillars, blind spots and other visual impediments that car drivers have, they can hear things down the road that drivers can't, there's four eyes on the road if they're two abreast and they're constantly communicating warnings to each other.

What are you doing here? I thought you were off finding POW's in Vietnam? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

remind me not to drive behind you so..:pac:

erm.. ok, I'll shout back to you.

Oh wait you won't hear me as you'll be cocooned in your soundproof vehicle.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    If the road is as narrow as you describe then I doubt they are cycling 3 or 4 abreast, if they were they’d be on the wrong side of the road cycling into oncoming traffic.

Oh they are, but you're not willing to believe that, so we'll leave it there.

Advertisement