Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Odhinn wrote: »
    You can't, which is my point.

You think seeing refugees will put us off gettin the ride now?

I'm not going down the rat rabbithole.
    I initially estimated we would become financially overwhelmed in 20 years and socially overwhelmed in 30 years. This is becoming much shorter.

But is going to happen and sooner than I predicted.
    Refugee families, take for instance the Romas. Have been here for 3 generations. no sign of integrating, getting a job but keeping law enforcement in full employment. Other minorites are taking up higher proportions in the prison system and refusing to integrate both socially and economically.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

I initially estimated we would become financially overwhelmed in 20 years and socially overwhelmed in 30 years. This is becoming much shorter.

Refugee families, take for instance the Romas. Have been here for 3 generations. no sign of integrating, getting a job but keeping law enforcement in full employment. Other minorites are taking up higher proportions in the prison system and refusing to integrate both socially and economically.

I completely agree. Once we kick out every foreigner and racially impure people, we focus into making Ireland into a Christian right wing agrarian state. In one and two generations we’ll become advanced enough to rival Wakanda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

it never fails to amuse me, how those folk who proclaim to have no interest in religion, get so work-up by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I don't think that word means what you think it means :p

But essentially, yes. Purging the concept of morals which forbid behaviours other than those which actually harm other people from government policy and public life. De-tabooing sex. Freeing people from rules which serve no purpose other than to please repulsive control freaks.

Should have happened centuries ago.

Ah sure once people leave me alone it'll be ok.

I often wonder was the taboo of sexuality more fun when it was underground ???

Like sometimes being naughty and frowned upon by society can be fun....

As long as it's between two conscientious adults, what's the harm......

Being back Taboo ;)

And yet we've just spearheaded the successes of two referenda to dramatically de-authoritarianise this country. Onwards and upwards.

Great you legistated for killing the unborn and what ever monstrosity you call "marriage equality". Next thing you will want to euthanize the elder generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"roma" is a religion now? I thought you were saying the muslims were taking over.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I completely agree. Once we kick out every foreigner and racially impure people, we focus into making Ireland into a Christian right wing agrarian state. In one and two generations we’ll become advanced enough to rival Wakanda.

Like what Sweden was in the 1960 and the last two years they have had to borrow to service their social welfare budget. I would like you to point out any African state you would rather live in.

Great you legistated for killing the unborn and what ever monstrosity you call "marriage equality". Next thing you will want to euthanize the elder generation.

Dear o dear. Kinder, Küche, Kirche now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

it never fails to amuse me, how those folk who proclaim to have no interest in religion, get so work-up by it.

Careful not to confuse having no interesting religion, and having no interest in PARTAKING of religion. They are massively different things. And religion in and of itself is massively and endlessly interesting I find. So is war actually, but I have no interest in doing that either.

"roma" is a religion now? I thought you were saying the muslims were taking over.

That is to illustrate how larger number of more radical religions would have a much more adverse effect on our society like in the uk. Where muslims constitute 5% of the over all population but contribute to 15% over all prison population. When you understand that statistic you begin to understand that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Like what Sweden was in the 1960 and the last two years they have had to borrow to service their social welfare budget. I would like you to point out any African state you would rather live in.

Paris used to be one of the most desirable destinations on the planet. it still is, but what a frickin mess it is now.
    i travel there regularly, but there are areas that are truly frightening.

it's like driving into Abuja

Dear o dear. Kinder, Küche, Kirche now, is it?

Oh bring on the Godwins law are we?

Bring back magic, piseógs and brehon law's.

It would be a great country, outlaw Christianity and any other abrahamic obscenities...

Oh bring on the Godwins law are we?

You're espousing those values behind the 'snappy' phrase. The cap fits.

Paris used to be one of the most desirable destinations on the planet. it still is, but what a frickin mess it is now.
    i travel there regularly, but there are areas that are truly frightening.

it's like driving into Abuja

I hate to correct you on that but tourist numbers have been plummeting since recent years since the spate of terrorist attacks. The base of the Eiffel tower is now cordoned off.

That is to illustrate how larger number of more radical religions would have a much more adverse effect on our society like in the uk. Where muslims constitute 5% of the over all population but contribute to 15% over all prison population. When you understand that statistic you begin to understand that problem.

We already have our own radical religious who keep trying to mess us up, their mainly Catholic.

Good to see the typical Christian intolerance for others on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I hate to correct you on that but tourist numbers have been plummeting since recent years since the spate of terrorist attacks. The base of the Eiffel tower is now cordoned off.

Visitors to Paris
    2015 = 16 million
    2016 = 18 million
    2017 = 16 million
    2018 = 18 million

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah read that article today and I though it was totally ridiculous. Catholics expect that even though eff all ppl are true Catholics anymore that Catholicism still should have the same standing in society as it always had. How absurd is that. Why would anyone who isn't a Catholic care less about their concerns?

With the low turn out for the Pope's visit Catholics now know that the power they had as a group is diminishing day by day. They can carp and moan all they like but it won't make any difference. They don't have the numbers and being noisy won't make any difference. I'm actually enjoying this sense of desperation coming from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

AllForIt wrote: »

They don't have the numbers and being noisy won't make any difference. I'm actually enjoying this sense of desperation coming from them.

Make all the noise they want if there was no one there to hear it :P

lLYcudp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

"Hmm, it's Saturday night and I'm bored. What thread will I start on boards?"

On a less frivolous note, can we get rid of that symbol of Roman execution in the Phoenix Park?

I mean, who'd accept a gigantic guillotine in its place? Or on the walls of every classroom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Muckka wrote: »
    Bring back magic, piseógs and brehon law's.

It would be a great country, outlaw Christianity and any other abrahamic obscenities...

I completely agree.
    MIPA
    Make Ireland Pagan Again.
    Infact make all of Europe pagan again,
    And I'm not talking about that wiccan bull.
    Europe might start to heal if we return to our natural state of mind and purge the poison of these unnatural middle eastern desert fairytales.
    We may find peace and confidence in our identity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i ask this question in light of a recent article i spotted.
    do you agree with the journalist's supposition, and do you care?

like many you may think it's a good thing and to be welcomed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

I'm popping in a bit late. Sorry for that, but can I just ask, what values do you consider to be uniquely Christian that you are concerned are being lost out on?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Visitors to Paris
    2015 = 16 million
    2016 = 18 million
    2017 = 16 million
    2018 = 18 million

Are you sure that's not the number of illegal immigrants coming in.

gw80 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the number of illegal immigrants coming in.

Nope their the actual tourist numbers, can be found online. Same as the fact that Irish is the second largest nationally of foreign prisoners in the UK. And the fact that threads like this on boards attract the usual anti immigration morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

What we consider human rights and workers rights are from that tradition.

Danzy wrote: »
    Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

Not really, they basically conquered us and assimilated us with the sword and fear.

Learn a bit more about brehon law's and paganism, I'm not undermining your post .

Ireland would be better without any abrahamic religion, seriously atheism is only a protest rather than a state of being.

Atheism is just some made up word....means nothing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Muckka wrote: »
    Learn a bit more about brehon law's and paganism, I'm not undermining your post .

Ireland would be better without any abrahamic religion, seriously atheism is only a protest rather than a state of being.

Atheism is just some made up word....means nothing...

How do you feel about words such as atypical and apolitical?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition. What we consider human rights and workers rights are from that tradition.

Even if any of that is true, which I strongly doubt, appeals to the utility of religion in the past is not much use to us in the present. Stabilisers were great when my child was learning to cycle too. They would be useless and even potentially harmful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We're a nation of pagans who are shaking off the shackles of the Rome's church. Not before time.

• Advertisement

Why do you think those things would not have come about without christianity.
    Christianity has never sat well in Europe, it has always been tweaked and twisted into different flavours and sects since Roman times but still it has never really stuck, it even had to latch on to traditional pagan festivals like a parasite to be accepted.

Advertisement