Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Rootsblower

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I presume there are on going tests/assessments the whole time? Do many people who start the training fail out?

Yea constant tests I believe, it was a different training regime when I done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Anyone else get an email in the last bit ?

Core numerical skill test I got sent to me and it links back to my profile with the other tests

Has to be done by the 15th

Funny the subject said mechanis, fitters

Nope, nothing here either. When did you complete the 2nd stage tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

annor99 wrote: »
    Nope, nothing here either. When did you complete the 2nd stage tests?

Sunday night I did the 3 tests.

Just looking the email says to complete this exam by the 14th which is a day sooner than the other 3 exams !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Just finished the RAAT there. I managed to get it completed but tool 23 minutes. Does it auto stop once you have hit the limit?. The other sample for the two other test don't mention a time limit. Are they timed also?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Just finished the RAAT there. I managed to get it completed but tool 23 minutes. Does it auto stop once you have hit the limit?. The other sample for the two other test don't mention a time limit. Are they timed also?

Yeah it automatically stops.
    I didn't manage to finish it so not very hopeful of going any further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tickityboo wrote:
    Yeah it automatically stops. I didn't manage to finish it so not very hopeful of going any further.

The last test is not about finishing but accuracy and following instructions.

The last test is not about finishing but accuracy and following instructions.

Thanks for that I was hoping it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Josephine1991

Hey has anyone done the 2nd round of tests on a tablet. We have no laptop at home, so was wondering is it possible to do with one? Thanks.

Hey has anyone done the 2nd round of tests on a tablet. We have no laptop at home, so was wondering is it possible to do with one? Thanks.

It would be better to the second round of tests on laptop/pc, easier if you are using a mouse. What about using you local library to do the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Josephine1991

It would be better to the second round of tests on laptop/pc, easier if you are using a mouse. What about using you local library to do the tests?

I was thinking that but time constraints with work at the moment I would find it hard to get to a library so was wondering was it even possible to do it on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

I was thinking that but time constraints with work at the moment I would find it hard to get to a library so was wondering was it even possible to do it on one.

may be possible with an ipad - there's a practice run before you actually press continue to start the real thing.

The third of the 3 tests is just a wall of text in each section where you have to search for letters line by line. So much easier with a mouse just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I wouldn't try the SCAAT on a tablet, need a mouse. The other two, I can't see either being a problem on a tablet, its just read a passage and tick some boxes after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

I did the tests on my iPad and they worked fine. I must have missed where it said you had to do them on a laptop/PC.

topnotch wrote:
    I did the tests on my iPad and they worked fine. I must have missed where it said you had to do them on a laptop/PC.

Someone asked a question and it was answered in a helpful manner, what does your snarky response add?

Someone asked a question and it was answered in a helpful manner, what does your snarky response add?

I hope they have a keyboard and mouse in the locomotive so you can drive it with them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Would those 32 weeks in Inchicore be fulltime in the classroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

topnotch wrote: »

It actually does state they recommend you do it on a laptop with a mouse and not a tablet or phone, before the tests start it's says it, I hope you read the questions as thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benp

Head wrecked tests done , good luck to the thousands that applied ;)

A certain age what am I getting into here, 32 weeks in class away from home !

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Rootsblower

Asmodean wrote: »
    Would those 32 weeks in Inchicore be fulltime in the classroom?

Yes full time in Inchicore or Heuston for diesel and Fairview for DART. Simulators are in training school in Inchicore for both DART and diesel so sometimes DART classes are in Inchicore.

• Advertisement

Did the 3 tests today, fair bit of a head wreck alright and only managed 24 of the 32 questions in one of the sections, but if you ain't in you can't win, good luck to everyone would be a great job whoever gets one

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Did the 3 tests today, fair bit of a head wreck alright and only managed 24 of the 32 questions in one of the sections, but if you ain't in you can't win, good luck to everyone would be a great job whoever gets one

Only managed 24 perhaps you were reading them too thoroughly :pac:

topnotch wrote:
    Only managed 24 perhaps you were reading them too thoroughly

You really think there is a need for your snarky comments?

Obviously was, I like to be thorough

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benp

I hope they give you a break down on your scores, not just a no interest reply

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Obviously was, I like to be thorough

No harm in trying. Somehow i wonder will there be any positions at the end of the process. Like with alot of companies the positions are normally gone before they are advertised.

It's better to get 24 answers correct than to answer the 32 and get half of them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yes full time in Inchicore or Heuston for diesel and Fairview for DART. Simulators are in training school in Inchicore for both DART and diesel so sometimes DART classes are in Inchicore.

Thanks for all the information roots. Very handy to know the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Hopefully the training being Dublin based and so long will put people outside of the big smoke off and narrow the pool for me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I am intrigued by many of the posts in this thread - it's like some sort of secondary (?) school project. Any chance that somebody would post up some of the really difficult questions? Just for interest sake.

Advertisement