Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish directed film on James Bulger comes under criticism for humanising the killers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It isn't alternative...it is ‘almost entirely based on the transcripts'.

You have decided they are 'monsters'. Have you read the entire transcripts and met them?

*I am not saying that what they did on that day when they were 10 years of age was not monstrous by the way.

Do you have to read the entire transcripts to decide what they are? How many 10 year olds kidnap, torture and kill a toddler?

How can you come back from that?

I know you're saying that what they did *wasnt* monstrous, am I right in saying you find what they did monstrous? If so, how would you describe them, if not monsters? I would even venture, that in his last moments Jamie Bulger thought they were pure monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The words ‘almost entirely based on the transcripts’ imply that artistic liberties were taken to present as you quoted yourself already from the director - a narrative that was ‘more accessible to an audience’. He’s done his job as a director in presenting a narrative which fits with his own understanding of how he wanted the boys to be portrayed.

I haven’t read the transcripts, but why would I need to read the transcripts before I decide they are monsters? I made that evaluation on the basis of their actions - what they did fits into a category of behaviours I would define as monstrous. It’s a fairly small category which includes a few other things, but the premeditated torture and murder of a child, and then the attempt to cover it up - fits right in there.

I get that you aren’t saying that what what they did when they were 10 years of age was monstrous, but why would you even feel the need to qualify that when I didn’t accuse you of having said it in the first place? I get that you have a different opinion already, I’m not going to get hung up over how you’re saying it when I get the general gist of what you mean and where you’re coming from.

What they did that day was no doubt 'monstrous'. Did they continue to be and are they intrinsically monsters is for those who know them to evaluate.

Again I fail to see how something almost entirely based on the transcripts of what happened (what was left out was left out for time reasons) can be construed as an 'alternative view' or even an artistic view. 'Alternative' to your view, certainly, but not to what actually happened.

Do you have to read the entire transcripts to decide what they are? How many 10 year olds kidnap, torture and kill a toddler?

How can you come back from that?

I know you're saying that what they did *wasnt* monstrous, am I right in saying you find what they did monstrous? If so, how would you describe them, if not monsters? I would even venture, that in his last moments Jamie Bulger thought they were pure monsters.

No doubt, on that day they were monsters.

I think you cannot describe something based on the transcripts as an 'alternative' view, is the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so.... what? We can never make movies/books/art about terrible events now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agreed. However I would wager most 10 year olds have an idea of right and wrong and that hurting someone, nevermind killing someone, is most definitely in the latter category. The fact they tried to orchestrate and stage a train accident by leaving the poor mite on tracks shows a cunning as well.

I was 10 when it happened - the exact same age as Robert Thompson and Jon Venables. I vividly remember sitting in my granny's kitchen, listening to a discussion on the Gay Byrne Show about whether they should be tried as adults. I wouldn't have been too aware of the grisly details at the time, but the enormity and the utter wrongness of what they did was completely apparent to me. I've no time for the whole 'hang the evil monsters' rhetoric that surrounded (and continues to surround) the case, but I have no doubt whatsoever that the average 10 year old has the capacity to understand that hurting someone is wrong, and that killing someone is... well, considerably beyond 'wrong'. Of course, that's not to say that Robert and Jon were 'average' 10-year-olds.

Like a lot of people who end up in prison, maybe they required psychiatric treatment, rather than punishment, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What they did that day was no doubt 'monstrous'. Did they continue to be and are they intrinsically monsters is for those who know them to evaluate.

Again I fail to see how something almost entirely based on the transcripts of what happened (what was left out was left out for time reasons) can be construed as an 'alternative view' or even an artistic view. 'Alternative' to your view, certainly, but not to what actually happened.

It’s not just for those who know them personally to evaluate, and according to the director, the whole point of making the film was for an audience who didn’t know the boys to make an evaluation of them. In trying to make the film more accessible to an audience, the director has to be aware of his audience and what he wants them to see, and for an audience who doesn’t know the boys to evaluate them on the basis of how he has chosen to present them.

I really can’t answer for how you fail to see how something which the director claims is ‘almost entirely based on transcripts’ is anything but the director presenting an alternative version of events which from his perspective, attempts to portray an alternative narrative to a narrative which is based upon the reality of the mindset that is capable of the premeditated torture and murder of another human being. It’s not fcuking rocket science like? It really doesn’t require any in-depth analysis.

In saying that - there is an audience for these sorts of macabre shocumentaries, y’know, there has been since civilisation began, but the attempts to portray the film as ‘a story that needs to be told’, etc? Meh, you’re alright thanks. Describing them as monsters, based upon their actions, works just fine for me personally. Attempting to portray them as benevolent and innocent victims of something bigger than themselves is an artistic endeavour which tries to be something bigger than it is - a shocumentary which is likely to be shown on one of the ‘true crime’ channels on satellite tv at some stage, and I’m fine with that.

The reason it’s gotten as much publicity as it has already is precisely because of the narrative the director has chosen to portray, it’s not as though he wasn’t aware of the consequences of his actions. If the film had been based on a factual and objective portrayal of the boys, it still would have been accessible to an audience, but they would be a different audience, and the story wouldn’t be so attractive to an audience which doesn’t care for films which are “based on a true story” - something which gives director a license to take liberties with how they present the story, as the director has done here, except he’s chosen to use the term ‘almost entirely based on the transcripts’.

It’s not just for those who know them personally to evaluate, and according to the director, the whole point of making the film was for an audience who didn’t know the boys to make an evaluation of them. In trying to make the film more accessible to an audience, the director has to be aware of his audience and what he wants them to see, and for an audience who doesn’t know the boys to evaluate them on the basis of how he has chosen to present them.

I really can’t answer for how you fail to see how something which the director claims is ‘almost entirely based on transcripts’ is anything but the director presenting an alternative version of events which from his perspective, attempts to portray an alternative narrative to a narrative which is based upon the reality of the mindset that is capable of the premeditated torture and murder of another human being. It’s not fcuking rocket science like? It really doesn’t require any in-depth analysis.

In saying that - there is an audience for these sorts of macabre shocumentaries, y’know, there has been since civilisation began, but the attempts to portray the film as ‘a story that needs to be told’, etc? Meh, you’re alright thanks. Describing them as monsters, based upon their actions, works just fine for me personally. Attempting to portray them as benevolent and innocent victims of something bigger than themselves is an artistic endeavour which tries to be something bigger than it is - a shocumentary which is likely to be shown on one of the ‘true crime’ channels on satellite tv at some stage, and I’m fine with that.

The reason it’s gotten as much publicity as it has already is precisely because of the narrative the director has chosen to portray, it’s not as though he wasn’t aware of the consequences of his actions. If the film had been based on a factual and objective portrayal of the boys, it still would have been accessible to an audience, but they would be a different audience, and the story wouldn’t be so attractive to an audience which doesn’t care for films which are “based on a true story” - something which gives director a license to take liberties with how they present the story, as the director has done here, except he’s chosen to use the term ‘almost entirely based on the transcripts’.

'benevolent and innocent victims'????

You have lost yourself in your outrage mate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

so.... what? We can never make movies/books/art about terrible events now?

This is literally what it is coming down to at this point. Very sad to see so many against it for one reason or another. This thread is hard to follow, but the anger against the filmmaker is so pronounced. There are lots of religious references too with all this talk of Evil etc. etc. Perhaps little oul Ireland has tried to forget religion, but likes to remember aspects of it to suit a moanfest.

Good people sometimes do terrible evil things.
    Not so good people sometimes do very very nice good things.
    Without understanding what was going on in a person's head at the time of the offence, no-one can understand why they did what they did.

This is a film, art should be art, paint pictures, make films/tv shows, write plays etc about whatever. It's art. It's interesting.

'benevolent and innocent victims'????

You have lost yourself in your outrage mate. :rolleyes:

Ahh don’t start with that ‘outrage’ shìte again, honestly, been enough of it in the thread already.

The point I’m making is exactly the way the director is hoping his audience will perceive these two boys who are the subjects of the film. I completely get that James Bulger isn’t the subject of the film - it’s told entirely from the directors perspective of their understanding of the transcripts and whatever other research they did in the making of the film. The idea of the film, and what the director is attempting to do, is portray an image of the two boys as innocent and benevolent children who weren’t conscious of their actions. The director calls his attempt ‘humanising’ the boys, as though they are victims of how they were portrayed in the media.

He doesn’t appear to have gained any insight into the mindset of the two boys, but rather he has chosen to filter the transcripts through his own lens of wanting to portray a different perspective of the boys than the way they were portrayed in the media. The film is entirely about his perspective, of the two boys, which tells me everything I need to know about the directors mindset, and nothing I didn’t already know about the two boys.

• Advertisement

Ahh don’t start with that ‘outrage’ shìte again, honestly, been enough of it in the thread already.

The point I’m making is exactly the way the director is hoping his audience will perceive these two boys who are the subjects of the film. I completely get that James Bulger isn’t the subject of the film - it’s told entirely from the directors perspective of their understanding of the transcripts and whatever other research they did in the making of the film. The idea of the film, and what the director is attempting to do, is portray an image of the two boys as innocent and benevolent children who weren’t conscious of their actions. The director calls his attempt ‘humanising’ the boys, as though they are victims of how they were portrayed in the media.

He doesn’t appear to have gained any insight into the mindset of the two boys, but rather he has chosen to filter the transcripts through his own lens of wanting to portray a different perspective of the boys than the way they were portrayed in the media. The film is entirely about his perspective, of the two boys, which tells me everything I need to know about the directors mindset, and nothing I didn’t already know about the two boys.

Where are you getting this stuff from? Have you a link?

You sound like a Nazi that wanted to join in the burning of books. You know nothing about filmmaking and if you do you should not be involved in it. Pure bollox. No doubt you will answer me with yet more bull****.`Have you even seen the film???

Where are you getting this stuff from? Have you a link?

Have i a link for my own opinion? Well it’s right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Candie wrote: »
    If they never act on it, are they still evil? Does the capability alone make someone evil, or is it the act that is evil?

I'm not saying I know, just that the concept of evil is a difficult one to pin down.

It's very rare to encounter evil but you know it if you do, person devoid of compassion on any level, person who has an inherently cruel nature, I've only ever experienced it once

Have i a link for my own opinion? Well it’s right there.

As I thought, spurious invented nonsense about his intent and the content.

'Benevolence and innocence' indeed! :D:D:D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You sound like a Nazi that wanted to join in the burning of books. You know nothing about filmmaking and if you do you should not be involved in it. Pure bollox. No doubt you will answer me with yet more bull****.`Have you even seen the film???

I haven’t seen the film, and I don’t need to see the film to have an opinion on what the director has already said about his motivation for making the film.

Given that you think I sound like a Nazi who wanted to burn books because I think the director doesn’t bring anything new to the table but rather treads over a tired, conventional formula for a film suggests that you don’t know what a Nazi is, but you like how that sounded - the perfect audience for a film in the “based on a true story” genre.

I haven’t seen the film, and I don’t need to see the film to have an opinion on what the director has already said about his motivation for making the film.

Given that you think I sound like a Nazi who wanted to burn books because I think the director doesn’t bring anything new to the table but rather treads over a tired, conventional formula for a film suggests that you don’t know what a Nazi is, but you like how that sounded - the perfect audience for a film in the “based on a true story” genre.

Where did the director say he want to show them as 'benevolent and innocent? Not to mention all the other nonsense you attributed to him.

No need to lie about it. Just say you don't like to hear or see other opinions - that would be honest at least.

As I thought, spurious invented nonsense about his intent and the content.

'Benevolence and innocence' indeed! :D:D:D

It’s an opinion Francie, one that differs from your own, I don’t see what there is to get so animated about? What does the directors explanation mean to you when he says he wanted to ‘humanise’ the two boys? His motivation for making the film appears to be that he disagrees with how they were portrayed in the media at the time as monsters and so on, and you said yourself earlier that you’re not saying they weren’t monsters on that day, which is directly contrary to the directors attempting to portray them as something other than monsters.

We’re aware that they’re human of course, nobody has contested the fact that they are biologically human, so when the director says he wanted to ‘humanise’ them, as opposed to portraying them as monsters - what does the term ‘humanising’ mean to you?

You win pal. Great score and all that. Enjoy yourself if you actually know how!

It’s an opinion Francie, one that differs from your own, I don’t see what there is to get so animated about? What does the directors explanation mean to you when he says he wanted to ‘humanise’ the two boys? His motivation for making the film appears to be that he disagrees with how they were portrayed in the media at the time as monsters and so on, and you said yourself earlier that you’re not saying they weren’t monsters on that day, which is directly contrary to the directors attempting to portray them as something other than monsters.

We’re aware that they’re human of course, nobody has contested the fact that they are biologically human, so when the director says he wanted to ‘humanise’ them, as opposed to portraying them as monsters - what does the term ‘humanising’ mean to you?

Your opinion stretches to now saying the director is trying to show what they did was not monstrous? Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Jack, do you have an issue with this film being made?
    I get you don't agree with the director trying to show the human side of the two ten year old child offenders, but do you have an issue with him actually making the film?

Filmmaking is so very special. Lots of arseholes in it. Lots of Wannabees in it. But there are lots of really passionate people involved in it that don't get where they want to be. However the worst part of it are the critics. Being a critic is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jack, do you have an issue with this film being made?
    I get you don't agree with the director trying to show the human side of the two ten year old child offenders, but do you have an issue with him actually making the film?
    Dont think anyone has a problem with the film been made. Main problem for myself and many others was the complete disrespect and self centered arrogance of the film maker by his refusing to even inform the murdered childs parents that he was making a film about their murdered child.

Where did the director say he want to show them as 'benevolent and innocent? Not to mention all the other nonsense you attributed to him.

No need to lie about it. Just say you don't like to hear or see other opinions - that would be honest at least.

Francie I wouldn’t be bothered my arse being involved in this discussion if I didn’t want to hear other people’s opinions. The director doesn’t utter those exact words explicitly and I’m not attributing anything to him that he hasn’t said. I’m giving my opinion on his motivation as he explained his motivation - he wants to humanise the two boys and make a film that would be more accessible to an audience.

I’m reluctant to go so far as to suggest he must imagine people are so dumb that they cannot evaluate the boys actions for themselves without his guidance “almost entirely based on the transcripts”, but I’m perfectly capable of determining and quantifying the boys actions according to a whole plethora of human behaviours In civilised society, because guess what? I’m human too, and what those boys did, I simply wouldn’t be capable of it. I don’t need to understand the directors perspective, but I do, and it’s not one I care enough to share.

Dont think anyone has a problem with the film been made. Main problem for myself and many others was the complete disrespect and self centered arrogance of the film maker by his refusing to even inform the murdered childs parents that he was making a film about their murdered child.

While I agree, it would have been polite to inform them, the way he was going with the film obviously wasn't something the family would have been happy with.
    It is what it is, anyone can make a film about anything, but anyone else can disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Where can you watch this film is it on you tube or anything?

I don’t get the outrage though stuff like this is made all the the time about murders and real life events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

bubblypop wrote: »

While I agree, it would have been polite to inform them, the way he was going with the film obviously wasn't something the family would have been happy with.
    It is what it is, anyone can make a film about anything, but anyone else can disagree with it.
    Not very pleasant for the murdered childs parents to hear a film made by a film maker about their murdered child is up for an oscar. Its actually sickening. !

Francie I wouldn’t be bothered my arse being involved in this discussion if I didn’t want to hear other people’s opinions. The director doesn’t utter those exact words explicitly and I’m not attributing anything to him that he hasn’t said. I’m giving my opinion on his motivation as he explained his motivation - he wants to humanise the two boys and make a film that would be more accessible to an audience.

I’m reluctant to go so far as to suggest he must imagine people are so dumb that they cannot evaluate the boys actions for themselves without his guidance “almost entirely based on the transcripts”, but I’m perfectly capable of determining and quantifying the boys actions according to a whole plethora of human behaviours In civilised society, because guess what? I’m human too, and what those boys did, I simply wouldn’t be capable of it. I don’t need to understand the directors perspective, but I do, and it’s not one I care enough to share.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to invent (lie about) his intentions though. i.e. he wanted to show them as 'benevolent and innocent' or that he holds the opinion that the act on that day was not monstrous.

biggebruv wrote: »
    Where can you watch this film is it on you tube or anything?

I don’t get the outrage though stuff like this is made all the the time about murders and real life events.

To watch this film you have to be hanging around Film Festivals. Its a short film and not some big studio feature. Can you imagine if it was a big studio feature - the world would end, the internet would break and Brian Dobson would regret moving from Six One!

• Advertisement

Not very pleasant for the murdered childs parents to hear a film made by a film maker about their murdered child is up for an oscar. Its actually sickening. !

No, it's not nice for them at all.
    But it's probably the same for lots of victims families.
    It's very very hard for them, but films or documentaries should be made.

Advertisement