Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do community Gardai do ?

Options
  • 01-01-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have being advised to talk to a community Garda about a problem I have in my local area.
    but what do community Gardai do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

raher1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have being advised to talk to a community Garda about a problem I have in my local area.

Nothing...they are (in my experience) as useful as a wet fart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi

Listen to people like you with problems in the local area, with a view to advising them what is the right approach to their particular problem.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to agree that I don't see the point of a dedicated post for this.

Maybe in the past when AGS were actively involved in the community as well as enforcing the laws it made sense, but nowadays when they spend all their time in the station, or driving around between calls (if they show at all), it strikes me as a legacy post that hasn't been retired for the same inefficiency reasons as so much else in our public/civil service.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you have had a less than happy experience with a community Garda.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Well in a case like that I'd be taking the complaint further.

No way is that an acceptable explanation.

• Advertisement

Well in a case like that I'd be taking the complaint further.

No way is that an acceptable explanation.

There's nowhere to take it. We've seen in detail how ineffective the garda complaints and escalation process is through the experiences of one of their own in the McCabe scandal.

Plus you have a significant amount of people and institutions in this country so terrified of being accused of racism or discrimination that this is completely taken advantage of by antisocial elements.

I can't understand how the next person in the chain of command didn't take your complaint at face value, you sound like a perfectly reasonable person to me.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's nowhere to take it. We've seen in detail how ineffective the garda complaints and escalation process is through the experiences of one of their own in the McCabe scandal.

Plus you have a significant amount of people and institutions in this country so terrified of being accused of racism or discrimination that this is completely taken advantage of by antisocial elements.

Don't be a silly billy Kaiser.

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm not going to keep ranting here but the community Gardaí in Tallaght exist only to make sure the law isn't appled to any minorities. Apparently we should just talk to them and explain to them why it's wrong when an Irish person would definitely be charged for the same issue. And this is much more than one case, I recon the community Garda is paid off by the Roma and the Travellers, no other reason to be so strongly against applying the law.

I wouldn't think there's dodgy payments involved to be fair.

More likely a combination of not wanting to appear racist (when there are many out there - foreign and native - itching to pull that card), coupled with institutional and personal laziness and apathy as they're not actually involved with the community themselves and probably not living anywhere near it.

As such all you get is suggestions that involve the least actual effort on their part.

It's not a problem restricted to community Gardai either. It's endemic in the force as a whole.

Got it, GarIT.

Okeydokey.

• Advertisement

Don't be a silly billy Kaiser.

Explain where he should take his complaint so? The local Super? The Garda ombudsman (which I think is being scrapped)

I have lived in an area with serious antisocial issues myself and I know first hand how useless and ineffective the Gardai can be. My mother was harassed daily and had video evidence to prove it, but nothing was done. I'm not talking "foreigners" either.. These were our own brand of local scum.

The truth is that the politicians, councils, Welfare services - even transport services, have written off huge areas of Dublin and pretty much leave the antisocial elements to it so long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

Unfortunately for those decent people trapped in between, it can be like living in a hell hole until/unless they manage to move away from it.

Explain where he should take his complaint so? The local Super? The Garda ombudsman (which I think is being scrapped)

I have lived in an area with serious antisocial issues myself and I know first hand how useless and ineffective the Gardai can be. My mother was harassed daily and had video evidence to prove it, but nothing was done. I'm not talking "foreigners" either.. These were our own brand of local scum.

The truth is that the politicians, councils, Welfare services - even transport services, have written off huge areas of Dublin and pretty much leave the antisocial elements to it so long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

Unfortunately for those decent people trapped in between, it can be like living in a hell hole until/unless they manage to move away from it.

I would have thought that it would be obvious to anyone with a bit of life experience that the next logical step would be to put the complaint about the local community Garda in writing to the local Garda Sergeant.

I would have thought that it would be obvious to anyone with a bit of life experience that the next logical step would be to put the complaint about the local community Garda in writing to the local Garda Sergeant.

How about reading the complete post I made rather than just the first part of it, and you'll see your question has actually been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Definitely, the law doesn't apply to Roma caught on CCTV illegal dumping in a housing estate because of cultural difficulties.

Perhaps contact your local county/ city council. They would probably be more interested in this as they are the ones that have to provide the manpower to clean up illegal dumping and it takes resources from their budget.

How about reading the complete post I made rather than just the first part of it, and you'll see your question has actually been addressed.

Kaiser, how about you reading your own post and then mine again.

You might notice I was answering the questions you asked and didn't actually ask any question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

It's not myself communicating with them directly, it's a residents association of a large estate, it's not necessarily my issue to pursue, I was just present in meetings. The rest of the Gardaí don't give a **** complain to them and they will side with the first person you talked to, the community Gardaí.

So you haven't even spoken to these community gardai directly ?

and you are sounding off about how they are racist scum ?

thats clever isnt it

Also just for your next meeting , dumping falls under the responsibility of the environmental section for the council not the gardai , but sure long as you have a target for your vitriol its ok right ?

here if you can read read this

https://www.garda.ie/en/crime-prevention/community-policing/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Hi

It often changes depending on local management. Generally they do school talks, engage with youth programs, attend community events and do call backs for people who have been victims of crime. They often will deal with issues that don't involve a criminal offence or keep an eye on ongoing issues like public order and illegal dumping to advise local management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They uphold something, but I don't know if there's a consensus about what it is they uphold.

I cite Longford as an example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I have spoken to them directly, it's just not directly my issue, we tried to approach it as a community after individual complains werent being listened to.

After all the corruption in the organisation and all the lies they told about the work they were pretending to do but didn't do you think we should accept the Gardaí definition on what they do?

so you if dont trust them and believe they are being paid off by groups of ethnic criminals why did you got to them at all ?

just looking to vent at some one or are you like john connors and believe gardai are scum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mynamejeff wrote: »
    so you if dont trust them and believe they are being paid off by groups of ethnic criminals why did you got to them at all ?

just looking to vent at some one or are you like john connors and believe gardai are scum

For non serious issues, most guards won't do anything unless the person complaining has pull, beit within the force itself or with a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

They stand on the local roadside with speed cameras and ignore real crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've realised that boards often only serves to make me angry, so I'm making preparations to delete my account. I've deleted my posts on this issue as I don't want to go into it further. So I will just write a brief summary.

In my experience the community Gardaí are often only used to fob off issues where non-Irish communities are involved in crime and say that are trying to prevent crime through talking to the community and not pursuing criminals that would have been charged if they were Irish. The community Gardaí accused our residents association of being racist when we politely outlined issues we were having with members of an international travelling community and insisted that we tried to integrate with the criminals to prevent future crime rather than them being charged. They blamed the crimes of the foreign travelling community on the Irish residents not trying to integrate with them even though they want nothing to do with us.

Despite numerous complaints to the Gardaí about crimes some with CCTV evidence we were referred back to the community Garda who just returned to calling us racist and said that if we integrated with them they wouldn't be committing these crimes.

I've realised that boards often only serves to make me angry, so I'm making preparations to delete my account. I've deleted my posts on this issue as I don't want to go into it further. So I will just write a brief summary.

In my experience the community Gardaí are often only used to fob off issues where non-Irish communities are involved in crime and say that are trying to prevent crime through talking to the community and not pursuing criminals that would have been charged if they were Irish. The community Gardaí accused our residents association of being racist when we politely outlined issues we were having with members of an international travelling community and insisted that we tried to integrate with the criminals to prevent future crime rather than them being charged. They blamed the crimes of the foreign travelling community on the Irish residents not trying to integrate with them even though they want nothing to do with us.

Despite numerous complaints to the Gardaí about crimes some with CCTV evidence we were referred back to the community Garda who just returned to calling us racist and said that if we integrated with them they wouldn't be committing these crimes.

So they only commit crimes on people who don’t integrate?
    Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gar if you have evidence of criminality and theft and CCTV that proves it then you can simply open a case with the desk sergeant.

Its actually not hard to do.

Now if you don't have evidence and everything you have is circumstantial then you'd be referred to the community officer.

It seems from reading your posts you aren't a reasonable or rational person tbh.

I'd suggest you examine that part first before trying to engage with people that are there to give you assistance.

Your posts read like an irrational angry person. I don't see how anyone could deal with a serious issue if this is how you engage with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

They sweet **** all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I've heard some truly horrendous stories from Tallaght from people there over the last few years.

Forget community police it's the military you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

It often changes depending on local management. Generally they do school talks, engage with youth programs, attend community events and do call backs for people who have been victims of crime. They often will deal with issues that don't involve a criminal offence or keep an eye on ongoing issues like public order and illegal dumping to advise local management.

That sounds like the most useless role ever. It's like they're paying someone to be a super duper upstanding citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    For non serious issues, most guards won't do anything unless the person complaining has pull, beit within the force itself or with a politician.

Which means the poor are left rot, while the upper middle class have an actual police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

chrissb8 wrote: »
    That sounds like the most useless role ever. It's like they're paying someone to be a super duper upstanding citizen.

It's supposed to free up regular Gardaí from having to deal with minor non-crime issues.

• Advertisement

Hey GarIT, I'm genuinely sorry to see that you are deleting your account as I'm sure you've had happy times here as well.
    I've deleted your posts where I quoted you, take it easy and don't get upset over strangers on the internet. We all have off days, hope you have a great 2019!

Advertisement