Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams

Options
  • 30-12-2018 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭

The alarm went off unexpectedly this morning and I was in the middle of a complicated dream, as often happens when I wake up unexpectedly.

I'm part disappointed the dream is over and part mystified why such complicated workings go on in my subconscious :pac: that I'd not know about unless I was awakened out of the dream.

The theory goes (I think) that it's your mind trying to process the days activities. If it is it's definitely going the weird way around it. Tantalisingly the dream eventually slips away and it's hard to remember much detail, but at the exact moment of waking there's a sense of a detailed other life going on just out of my reach.

So, what say you... do you have vivid dreams? Are these god's private showreels? Will we still dream once our consciousness's are melded with technology once our bodies weaken and Apple/Google allow us to upload our minds to cloud?

Or, is what we are experiencing now the dream of someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

you're still dreaming mate.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Dreams are fascinating. They have been considered seriously since ancient times, though few can agree on their significance.

One book I read about dreaming - Human Givens by Joe Griffin and Ivan Tyrell - made a lot of sense in terms of the ingredients and some of the purpose of dreams. The ingredients are generally made up of things we have glimpsed in the previous few days, and usually with some lateral connection to those glimpses. For example if you caught sight of a zebra in a National Geographic magazine on a table somewhere, you might have a tiger in a dream over the next few days. That is because the brain did some super fast leaps of connection when you glimpsed the image, of which you were not aware (though if you give close attention to tiny quick thoughts you will see your brain doing this kind of quick-fire association). You might also dream of a dragon or fantastical creature due to such a glimpse, depending on the associations your brain is inclined towards.

If you look at your dreams you will generally be able to identify the ingredients and connect them to things you have glimpsed or half thought in the previous several days. This in itself is a good exercise in awareness, memory etc. One can usually build an exact reference library to each dream, in this way.

The purpose of dreaming (they say in that particular book) is to work out unresolved emotional issues (even very small ones), and to keep alive in the brain primitive templates of reaction that we do not use in our ordinary lives.

This latter idea makes particular sense - we have such a lot of primitive response in our brains, in the amygdala for example or the reptilian brain stem, like fight or flight or rage or aggression etc., and modern life gives few chances to express these, and yet there may come a moment when we need to be enraged or fight, so the responses are kept practiced in dreams.

It is rare that a dream is prophetic, though from ancient times philosophers have acknowledged that there may be prophetic dreams. Usually they are concerned with the here and now. There are interesting fields like Tibetan dream yoga where they have taken dreaming to a studied extreme and can live almost parallel lives within dreams, achieving for example spiritual mastery in tasks like meditation in dreams (a la shamanism). I know some lucid dreamers. It is not an area I have explored, though it is interesting.

I am not very good for remembering dreams, though I dream a lot and remember bits and pieces. Of late there have been quite weird and unsettling dreams; in one I performed an autopsy on a corpse and while giving a debriefing afterwards the corpse reanimated. Everyone was crying and smiling at the corpse coming back to life and I was imitating their reactions, smiling and weeping, and all the while howling inside NOOOOOOOO! LIE DOWN! FFS you are dead!! ( :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Interesting. Must give a further read.

Zorya wrote: »

I am not very good for remembering dreams, though I dream a lot and remember bits and pieces. Of late there have been quite weird and unsettling dreams; in one I performed an autopsy on a corpse and while giving a debriefing afterwards the corpse reanimated. Everyone was crying and smiling at the corpse coming back to life and I was imitating their reactions, smiling and weeping, and all the while howling inside NOOOOOOOO! LIE DOWN! FFS you are dead!! ( :pac: )

Are you a pathologist/doctor? I don't have any dreams as strange as that as far as I can remember, but I do tend to wake up (or do on some occasions) if they get "scary".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Are you a pathologist/doctor? I don't have any dreams as strange as that as far as I can remember, but I do tend to wake up (or do on some occasions) if they get "scary".

No, not at all, though I do good autopsies in dreams, it seems! So good the bodies reanimate.

The reddit dream is interesting as it corresponds to a motif that reoccurs in Buddhist and Hindu teachings about Maya or illusion. The example of the person dreaming a whole life, becoming King, having a family, ones they loved, going to war, losing all, etc. and then waking up to discover the fantasy, is often used to convey how in the blink of an eye internally we can dream up a whole Universe. That person seems to have had such a dream. Must have been disturbing.

The time dilation aspect is always so interesting in dreams. I am sure people have heard examples like the story of a person dreaming a long narrative that ends with them going to the guillotine and as the blade falls the headboard collapses on them, waking them, which indicates that the dream took place almost instantly in the time the headboard hit. The reddit dream had that time dilation aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

it corresponds to a motif that reoccurs in Buddhist and Hindu teachings about Maya or illusion.

And they think you can change or influence the Maya/cosmic illusion with your thoughts/intent/will. Which flips 180° the person living in reality who sleeps and has a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

The alarm went off unexpectedly this morning and I was in the middle of a complicated dream, as often happens when I wake up unexpectedly.

I'm part disappointed the dream is over and part mystified why such complicated workings go on in my subconscious :pac: that I'd not know about unless I was awakened out of the dream.

The theory goes (I think) that it's your mind trying to process the days activities. If it is it's definitely going the weird way around it. Tantalisingly the dream eventually slips away and it's hard to remember much detail, but at the exact moment of waking there's a sense of a detailed other life going on just out of my reach.

So, what say you... do you have vivid dreams? Are these god's private showreels? Will we still dream once our consciousness's are melded with technology once our bodies weaken and Apple/Google allow us to upload our minds to cloud?

So thats why I keep dreaming about Kelly Brookes tits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I had a very long vivid dream last night about my ex dying.

If you're reading this though (which you probably are) I don't actually subliminally wish you were dead. Fond as each other as we aren't, I'd still definitely not wish you dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I was tortured with nightmares last night. Twice thought I was dead and my sister had to come reassure me. One of the times I was convinced someone had cut me in half, like just chopped my bottom half off.

I regularly think am dead in dreams and just put it down to a fear of dying, not from the sense of death scaring me but more from all the things I will miss when am gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

There is no spoon

So thats why I keep dreaming about Kelly Brookes tits

No, that's down to not being breast fed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Dreams are fascinating.

Dream Moods is a decent app if you want to analyse what you dreamt about.

Some might say it's bull**** but it does offer insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have never remembered a single dream. If people were not so adamant to say that everyone dreams, then I would say I don't.

jester77 wrote: »
    I have never remembered a single dream. If people were not so adamant to say that everyone dreams, then I would say I don't.

Say you normally wake naturally at 7am, set an alarm for 6am. The dream state happens mid way through the sleep cycle. I think it's called the REM stage. If you wake naturally you'll miss the dream state and you'll not remember it.

Sometimes, very rarely, something will happen during the day that will remind me of a dream, but this was probably still after I was woken mid dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You want to upload your mind to Apple or Google?

You want to upload your mind to Apple or Google?

I think it was will be an option in time, not sure in our lifetimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

No, not at all, though I do good autopsies in dreams, it seems! So good the bodies reanimate.

The reddit dream is interesting as it corresponds to a motif that reoccurs in Buddhist and Hindu teachings about Maya or illusion. The example of the person dreaming a whole life, becoming King, having a family, ones they loved, going to war, losing all, etc. and then waking up to discover the fantasy, is often used to convey how in the blink of an eye internally we can dream up a whole Universe. That person seems to have had such a dream. Must have been disturbing.

The time dilation aspect is always so interesting in dreams. I am sure people have heard examples like the story of a person dreaming a long narrative that ends with them going to the guillotine and as the blade falls the headboard collapses on them, waking them, which indicates that the dream took place almost instantly in the time the headboard hit. The reddit dream had that time dilation aspect.

How would the subconscious mind know that the headboard was starting to fall so that the dream could commence ?

'Almost instantly' indicates a timeline, however short.

Is there not the possibility of the subconscious mind being able to predict events here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think it was will be an option in time, not sure in our lifetimes.

Hopefully there will be an option to upload it to some other place than Google because otherwise you're just giving them the right to eternally torment your soul with ads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I had a very complex dream last night that involved snakes living underwater on the river beds of tributaries of the Shannon, my late grandfather, presenters from 1980s TV technology and science show Tomorrow’s World, a Mini and VW Beetle driven by Apollo Moon mission astronauts and a motorway full of potholes and crumbling bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I had a very complex dream last night that involved snakes living underwater on the river beds of tributaries of the Shannon, my late grandfather, presenters from 1980s TV technology and science show Tomorrow’s World, a Mini and VW Beetle driven by Apollo Moon mission astronauts and a motorway full of potholes and crumbling bridges.

That one's easy, you subconsciously want RTE to bring back Wanderly Wagon.

Another vicid dream last night. I was in Portugal back in 1982 (in reality, I've never been) and they were planning on hosting some big event - the Olympics I think.

There were stunning beaches but there were huge cliffs down to get to the beaches and a million steps down to navigate to get onto them. I felt happy but apprehensive. The Portuguese writing was like Chinese.

Another part of the same dream featured archaeological findings of European settlement in North America centuries before Columbus. There were mummified Native American/European hybrid bodies interred into cliff faces...

Anyone care to interpret? Am I totally mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There is a dedicated Sleep/Dream forum, let me know if you want this moved to there for a more serious analysis, or prefer AH style interpretations of your dreams.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    There is a dedicated Sleep/Dream forum, let me know if you want this moved to there for a more serious analysis, or prefer AH style interpretations of your dreams.

Oh, thanks but let's keep this AH... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Snakes are related to vibrancy and also to healing. They can also be associated with devious or more malign thoughts in your waking life. If the snake was concealed in a box or a gift that you received it indicates your insecurity with new items in your life, you don't trust them. In Asia they can be associated with harnessing power also.

Are you religious? The snakes on the Shannon seem very in line with associated myths with St Patrick, particularly as the Shannon is such a pervasive river in Ireland. It was used as a large mode of transport down the years, when you contrast that with the symbolism of crumbling motorways it may indicate a desire in you to avail of more traditional methods in your life, as opposed to any new or modern way you are tackling something. Especially if you loop in flying to the moon in a popular 70's small cars and future technology television shows, how random.

Whilst dreams appear random, they never are. All those thoughts are subsumed within your innate consciousness, they are soothing your awakening moments and instigating your new waking thoughts for the day, most dreams that you remember are only happening in the last 10 to 15 minutes of your main sleeping pattern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Another vicid dream last night. I was in Portugal back in 1982 (in reality, I've never been) and they were planning on hosting some big event - the Olympics I think.

There were stunning beaches but there were huge cliffs down to get to the beaches and a million steps down to navigate to get onto them. I felt happy but apprehensive. The Portuguese writing was like Chinese.

Another part of the same dream featured archaeological findings of European settlement in North America centuries before Columbus. There were mummified Native American/European hybrid bodies interred into cliff faces...

Anyone care to interpret? Am I totally mad?

I love it when I am in foreign places that I have never seen or visited in my waking life. Talk about a free trip !! The best is conversing in languages that I could not possibly understand, I have definitely spoke Russian, Mandarin , Zwahili, Cantonese, diverse Indian forms of Hindi and others. Remarkable stuff, especially considering I have little exposure to these languages in my waking life.

Finding artifacts has to be linked to your exotic dreams about snakes and future technologies. Contrasting ancient items with new ideas and inventions is almost mirrorlike, interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my one last night...and i've forgotten loads of it...

so...i get sent away to a prison, it was a set up...dont remember the details...and this prison is in the middle of a huge shopping centre, feels like brazil or somewhere, somewhere ross kemp would go on holidays with a camera...anyway, all prisoners had on orange uniform, and this prison was set of a movie and martin scorscese was filming everything...except this was a real prison...and although it was a huge circular prison in middle of a shopping centre and open areas to walk out, you couldnt as punishment was so great nobody would dare...on the outsides of the prison was set up as a bar all the way around and prisoners would serve the shoppers who wanted drinks.
    i didnt see much violence inside, but was hanging with a bunch of characters i felt familiar with...one i felt closest to was an older joe pesci who was friendly in his stand off way with me...harvey kietel was there too, he used to get special served 3 course meals to a filthy table and have a meal with michael gambon who he seemed to have great affection for.
    al pacino was there i was delighted to see him, he was running some scam and he would give out free naan bread to new prisoners, of course you'd be endebted to him then, but his hands were so dirty and ground in black oil on them, hungry as i was i couldnt take the bread he was holding out.
    de niro was there, but he was like an older version of himself in mean streets, hat on and jack the lad hustler covering every bit of ground in the prison yard..talking to everyone..."hey...come on..come on.....you know me....you know me" repeating everything twice with a smile.
    danny devito was a guard inside the prison grounds and he was most feared, small as he was...he was so funny with his constant shouting insults, but you wouldnt dare laugh..he was vicious...he batter you with a truncheon while bigger guards held you.
    helen mirren was there in her own section at top of prison with a crown on, inside a railed, raised, seating area with dicaprio also crowned sat next to her...and prisoners around them begging for scraps of their expensive food ..they had chicken and pieces of chicken could be used as currency inside there.
    anyway ....this was a mens prison...and i found myself in a room with a female prisoner, she was doing a scam on me but i couldnt figure out whst it was...i was asking her if she was a man as it was a mens prison, she wasnt, she was proper female...but she was so attractive as she was only female in there....she was all over me and said we could be together..i knew it was a scam...me fat and bald and her telling me i'm the one for her...but before i could decide what to do or not do with her, scorcese came in with cameras and said 'cut' and next thing i'm back on yard, as stephen graham walks up to me really quickly all pissed off with a crew running to keep up behind him...."you fcuk my wife ??....did you fcuk my wife??" i told him what happened and how i couldnt touch her as i couldnt believe a woman could be there "look at me...and look at her...i was born in the night, just not last night...i knew it was a set up"....he bought it...told me to fcuk off and keep out of his way.
    anyway, after this...i wanted to see the guvoner...he was down in an underground office and they wouldnt let me get to him...but i had info only for him that might get me out...eventually i sneaked my way down there, and had a big struggle with last guard as i got guvnorers door open and shouted in "i know about brussels...and the cats...i know !!".....jack nicholson was the guvoner...."ok..let him go"....and whatever info i had on him he wrote me a pardon...i said i was taking one prisoner with me and he agreed, but said if i ever told anyone what happened with the cats i'd be found and tortured and killed.
    i put the pardon papers rolled up inside waist of my trousers and hurried back up to top of prison...found pesci...told him i could get him out, he said no (he called me 'kid')...he was too long inside he said and nowhere to go out there...i told him 'come on...you'll get laid tonight....think about it' and he did (think about it)...'fcuk it...lets go kid ..i'm getting laid tonight'...we had to be careful not to tell anyone as place was full of vultures....we walked straight out through the bar area, pesci nervous but i told him i had this...ray winstone, a guard, ran up all menace with a truncheon...i shouted at him it was ok i had a pardon and put my hand to my waist to pull it out but it was gone...he dragged both of us to the dungeons...but as he was i felt the papers in my leg of my trousers where they slipped down...and i showed ray winstone and he let us go....i hugged pesci...and i wake up.

is there a meaning to dreams like that ?

Advertisement