Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mandser

@Drumpot, theres no real best time for the Northern Lights, it all depends on solar activity, the right weather, clear skies, being in the right place at the right time etc but you could get very lucky! I have heard that September and April are some of the best months to see them but again its pure luck! You can never really plan for the weather in Iceland, so if you go in February or April you could still have a lot of snow, storms etc. the only good thing about going later in spring is the days are a little longer. but then the amount of tourists increases. Renting a car also depends on how comfortable you are driving in potential bad road conditions, strong winds etc.

I love the South Coast, Reynisfjara Black Beach in Vik is a beautiful place.

Regarding the Northern Lights...

Bit of a disappointment to be honest. It didn't detract from the Iceland trip at all, but in real life the Auroras don't actually look they do in the spectacular photos. This might be a serious 'Well gee...duh' for photographers and meteorologists, but not for me.

One night on the Snaefellsnes peninsula, the other guests in our shared accommodation were setting up their tripods outside in the darkness. The aurora forecast was giving an '8' for the night (with 9 being the highest chance of seeing the Lights) so we joined them outside.

Sure, I could see some kind of phenomenon in the night sky, but it was more like a bright moon reflecting off wispy clouds than these glowing vibrant colours. This image I found elsewhere sums it up...

wm5JHDe.png?1

...even if those 'what your eye sees' pics are heavily edited IMO.

I honestly took more enjoyment out of the beautiful starry night, than these greens/reds that the others were squinting and wowing at on a tiny 3 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am planning on going for 4 nights (flight home is at 7am so last day only need clothes to get home).

Do you think we would both need to have checked in luggage ? Is 23 KG each enough for one or even us both ?

I honestly don't know what sort of clothes or space we need and have no reference for how much luggage space the different options offer.

I am fairly sure that if I went cheap as chips carry on we wouldn't have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mandser

Drumpot wrote: »
    I am planning on going for 4 nights (flight home is at 7am so last day only need clothes to get home).

Do you think we would both need to have checked in luggage ? Is 23 KG each enough for one or even us both ?

I honestly don't know what sort of clothes or space we need and have no reference for how much luggage space the different options offer.

I am fairly sure that if I went cheap as chips carry on we wouldn't have enough.

two carry ons would more of less have the same amount of space as one standard checked in suitcase. You definitely need layers, with warm base layers underneath your jeans/jumpers etc, one warm waterproof coat and good boots. you can wear these heavy items on the flight so that will leave you with extra room in your case. bring warm socks, gloves, hats, the usual outdoor gear. One checked in case is more than enough, myself and my partner checked in a 23kg suitcase and brought 2 small backpacks on the flight, it was plenty of room! you will need to bring a backpack if you are doing tours anyway to carry water, snacks, gloves etc.

Aldi have some merino base layers on sale at the moment, a pair of leggings and a long sleeve top under regular clothes will be suitable. but I would emphasise the warm waterproof outer layers, socks and boots. if you are doing bus tours, the buses are very toasty so layers are a must otherwise you will be too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Drumpot wrote: »

What time of year? If spring/summer all you need are thin layers, a light down jacket and hiking shoes/boots. I'd also invest in some walking/hiking trousers which again are very light and you will easily fit everything into a carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Regarding the Northern Lights...

Bit of a disappointment to be honest. It didn't detract from the Iceland trip at all, but in real life the Auroras don't actually look they do in the spectacular photos. This might be a serious 'Well gee...duh' for photographers and meteorologists, but not for me.

One night on the Snaefellsnes peninsula, the other guests in our shared accommodation were setting up their tripods outside in the darkness. The aurora forecast was giving an '8' for the night (with 9 being the highest chance of seeing the Lights) so we joined them outside.

Sure, I could see some kind of phenomenon in the night sky, but it was more like a bright moon reflecting off wispy clouds than these glowing vibrant colours. This image I found elsewhere sums it up...

wm5JHDe.png?1

...even if those 'what your eye sees' pics are heavily edited IMO.

I honestly took more enjoyment out of the beautiful starry night, than these greens/reds that the others were squinting and wowing at on a tiny 3 inch screen.

As someone who likes photographing the aurora. I can understand your disappointment. Unfortunately expectations can be way off, due to photos of aurora being far more vibrant than what the naked eye sees.

But some of the more stronger displays can also be more vibrant to the naked eye. I have seen green and red colour auroras from here in Ireland, Although that sight is very rare from here. Most of the more moderate displays would be just a milky green colour.

When I was in Iceland I only seen a more moderate display of a milky green colour but very much enjoyed seeing it above my head swirling away, I guess everyones expectations would be different though, and some of the more Vibrant photos of aurora can skew people's expectations for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm heading to Reykjavik with my pal for 2-3 days next month. Anybody here got any recommendations or tips? We love exploring and taking in scenery. Is it worth renting a car or would a day trip be better? Also like a few beers at night, we're staying central in Reykjavik. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rent a car. A 4x4 at this time of year.

Bring your platinum credit card.
    There's a big thread on here somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Bring money, lots of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm heading to Reykjavik with my pal for 2-3 days next month. Anybody here got any recommendations or tips? We love exploring and taking in scenery. Is it worth renting a car or would a day trip be better? Also like a few beers at night, we're staying central in Reykjavik. Any advice would be appreciated!

You might have a chance to see the Northern Lights but you'll have a pretty narrow window each day to admire the scenery because the sun rises at 10 and sets at 3 in January. At midday it wil be just 4 degrees above the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

As others said - bring your platinum credit card and leave your concept of value for money at home. It’s a great trip though.

Book your Northern Lights tour for the first night. That way if you don’t get to see them, you’ll be rebooked for the following night. You don’t want to leave it that this the last night and for the weather to turn out ****e.

Bring a good pair of walking/hiking/snow boots. Presume you’ll see plenty of snow. If you don’t already have a pair, Decathlon.ie will get ya sorted. Just buy them in plenty of time so as they’re broken in before ya go.

I’d recommend Reykjavik Excursions for all your trips. We did the Northern Lights, Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon (all three are must do IMO) and booked all three through them. They’ll pick you up and drop you back to your hotel - they also provide shuttles to/from their depot for some of the smaller hotels. Brilliant service. It’s worth following them on FB before you go. You can get an idea as to what the weather is like - they’ll tell you what’s going on as everything is weather dependent.

There’s a crowd that do whale watching trips in Reykjavik too. We didn’t get to do that but from their FB page it looks like they’re getting a lot of sightings at the moment.

If you’re traveling with Wow double check your luggage allowance - these guys are worse than Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murmer

Definitely rent a car or a 4x4 - relatively cheap. Roads are in great condition and there are very easy to follow public information signs/alerts when impassable from snow (or fog). Most pubs do happy hours where prices are less eye watering. If you want to party, maybe bring some booze from the airport to have a few before you head out! Blue Lagoon is sort of like a big tacky tourist spa and expensive but we loved it to be honest! Enjoy you trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

I went on a few tours with this company - https://mountaineers.is - Would definitely recommend them.
    Blue Lagoon/Geysirs/Black sand beach/ Gulfoss waterfall/Selfoss waterfall/ Þingvellir / Langjökull Glacier.

As others have said its expensive. Some of the food was worth the price though, the best restaurants get booked up quickly though.

Northern Lights is definitely worth the trip out but its very weather dependent and you could get short notice that its on/off and like another poster said they bump you to the next time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think there is an app that lets u find happy hours, essential if you want a few drinks.

Also go to the outdoor baths, they are great and cheap enough for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think there is an app that lets u find happy hours, essential if you want a few drinks.

Also go to the outdoor baths, they are great and cheap enough for the country

Find some smaller outdoor pools/springs and avoid the blue lagoon.

Food outside the capital is crazy expensive... We found the pricing inside the city pretty reasonable after a week further up north.

I recommend the "in to the glacier" tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

There own brand chicken nuggets are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Don't eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On our last night we went to a nice Italian restaurant. We each a bruschetta starter, a pizza main and a Diet Coke each. The bill was €90+.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On our last night we went to a nice Italian restaurant. We each a bruschetta starter, a pizza main and a Diet Coke each. The bill was €90+.

Most expensive thing I saw was a packet of chicken breasts in a supermarket for 25e... We had bbq burgers instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, find somewhere that does smaller, more personal tours in a minibus rather than the huge Gray Line bus tours. We went with Troll Expeditions https://trollaferdir.is/ on the Golden Circle and a South Coast tour including a Glacier walk. Having experienced some pretty extreme weather when we went in January last year, esp. going over the mountain pass from Reykjavik to get to the south coast, I'd avoid driving if I were you.

We booked out tours through the Reykjavik Tourist Office based in the town hall, they'll give you lots of advice, and you don't get the hard sell for one particular tour operator.

Another tip, absolutely everywhere accepts contactless / Android / Apple pay, even the famous hotdog stand! No need for cash at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dillons bar on Laugavegur does happy hours ...Dublin prices ;)
    Vitabar on vitastigur has nice burgers.
    Golden circle a must!

Have Skyr for breakfast to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Golden circle a must!
    Yes, Gullfoss is amazing this time of the year when it's all iced up, even more spectacular than in the summer months.

903mfs.jpg

Alun wrote: »
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    Golden circle a must!
    Yes, Gullfoss is amazing this time of the year when it's all iced up, even more spectacular than in the summer months.

903mfs.jpg

That was the highlight of my trip, incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Take in the Blue Lagoon on the way to/from the airport as it's quite close and as you've only got a few days there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Alun wrote: »

903mfs.jpg

I agree I was there in November 2015. Incredibly beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Been to Iceland the last 2 January's and rented a car both times.
    As an amateur photographer I wanted to plan my times seeing places and get to spend a bit more time at each place than the day trips get.
    Would do the same again if I ever go back.

1 tip I would give if you are staying in Reykjavik and have a car and if there is clear sky's at night with a chance of aurora, there is a good darker spot in Reykjavik called Grotta lighthouse, easy enough to get to and a short drive. But wrap up well because you can be waiting around quite a lot waiting for them to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Heading on NYD with my GF for 4 nights and can't wait...Itinerary wise we're pretty set...Im wondering/hoping people that have gone could mention some nice restaurants that are good value?...Anywhere that do special offers etc?...We will pick up some drink in airport although we are more foodies than drinkers...Can't wait!!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

It’s been two years since we were there but we loved the restaurants in Reykjavik. Islenski barinn The Icelandic Bar has a good variety and offers some Icelandic dishes. We also liked Harry’s, food was good and not too expensive. If you get a chance check out Reykjavík chips, they only serve chips but the best chips I have had and it’s cheap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Be prepared to spend an eye watering amount if you plan to eat in a decent restaurant in Reykjavik itself. We looked at a few menus and you were looking at main courses of around €40 each.
    Svarta Kaffið on Laugavegur in the city do nice soup if you're out for lunch. If I remember correctly, they have one meat and one vegetarian option every day (the meat option was reindeer when I was there) and they serve it in a big bread roll. That was around €20pp at the time.

Advertisement