Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

engiweirdo wrote: »
    This country doesn't help either. Had to cancel an interview for this week. Job is literally 20km from my door but public transport is a bad joke and would cost €60 return in a taxi. And yeah dole = no ability to borrow/ save for a car or driving lessons.
    So are you saying then that the only job you can accept must be within a walking distance from you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    This country doesn't help either. Had to cancel an interview for this week. Job is literally 20km from my door but public transport is a bad joke and would cost €60 return in a taxi. And yeah dole = no ability to borrow/ save for a car or driving lessons.
    So are you saying then that the only job you can accept must be within a walking distance from you ?
    Or a reasonable mix of public transport + walking, up to around an hour. There is very limited public transport to the location in question. But it doesnt start early enough to reach the office or finish late enough to get home. I foolishly didnt check this before agreeing to interview.

Without income from employment I cant access credit for car, insurance, lessons so basically the extent of public transports reach plus my own feet is my limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

20K on a bicycle is not that far. Certainly shorter than the commute some of the guys I work with do.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Or a reasonable mix of public transport + walking, up to around an hour. There is very limited public transport to the location in question. But it doesnt start early enough to reach the office or finish late enough to get home. I foolishly didnt check this before agreeing to interview.

Without income from employment I cant access credit for car, insurance, lessons so basically the extent of public transports reach plus my own feet is my limit.

Ah lad come on? 20km? We're in the same business and you know as well as I do you go where the work is.

€60 for a taxi with the potential of a job really isn't that much.

I don't know your circumstances but Jesus I've dropped far more than that on interviews at times when I've had SFA and nothing came of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Ah lad come on? 20km? We're in the same business and you know as well as I do you go where the work is.

€60 for a taxi with the potential of a job really isn't that much.

I don't know your circumstances but Jesus I've dropped far more than that on interviews at times when I've had SFA and nothing came of it.

Its not just €60 to attend the interview though. It would be an ongoing €60 a day every day to get to work and home again though. Thats hardly realistic. How are you supposed to break even if it cost €300 a week just to make it in to work.

Even if it was just for the first couple of weeks until/if you got lucky with someone driving the same way, that first week or so you wouldnt even have wages, be trying to cover it from dole.

Earliest bus would have me at office at 10.am and last one home leaves at 5.15. Who would agree to those hours?

• Advertisement

Its not just €60 to attend the interview though. It would be an ongoing €60 a day every day to get to work and home again though. Thats hardly realistic. How are you supposed to break even if it cost €300 a week just to make it in to work.

Even if it was just for the first couple of weeks until/if you got lucky with someone driving the same way, that first week or so you wouldnt even have wages, be trying to cover it from dole.

Earliest bus would have me at office at 10.am and last one home leaves at 5.15. Who would agree to those hours?

I don't know what to say to you lad. You've a few years experience under your belt, you said so in another thread. How do you not have a car?

Without looking for you to spell your life out on here but like as an engineer from a rural part of the country I've had no choice only to spend time away. As have many others I've worked with who are in the exact same boat.

It would have probably been easy for me to turn around years ago and just say f*cket why bother? Sure I can't go working in Dublin/Cork/Scotland/the middle East when I've a wife and family here. But the bills need to be paid. Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Civil eng myself. My interview...meath, first job....Monaghan, second.......Kerry, third......limerick

From another thread I recall you're Waterford? 20k is not far.

You need a plan. Can you not get work locally eg farm/shop/pub get a grand saved and get on to credit union and sort a car?

In any country you need transport so either live near the job., live in an area with good transport links or get a car.

Coming across a bit helpless for someone with a degree. How'd you get to college?

BTW 20k is a 50 min cycle after 4 or 5 weeks on the bike.

Cycle, or get a licence and a 50cc scooter if that's what it takes to get a job. Overdraw the dole and get taxis till you're set and then pay them back like I did.

Not going to an interview cause the job is 20km away is absolutely ridiculous. There could be someone there who lives close and would happily take 10 quid a day of ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

If 20km is too far to go for an interview and hopefully a job then it's hard to have sympathy if you're not willing to try that.

Hopefully a company will set up business in your front room someday, you might be able to get to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Had a quick look on adverts. A nice selection of cars around the €3/400 mark. Some with a bit of tax and nct. Nothing special but 4 wheels and a connection to a job!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

20km, you are taking the piss! I travelled 1200km at less than a days notice last year in the week before Christmas to go to an interview and I got the job having done 4 interviews in 4 days. It went like;

I was based on a dairy fam 300km west of Melbourne in Southwest Victoria and the interview was for a Big 4 role which I really really wanted.

Day 1: Phone interview with HR - Happy to put me through to next stage for position

Day 2; Phone interview with Tech Transformation Project Manager at 4pm - Received a call from HR one hour after asking me could I be in Sydney for 2pm following day. I did a quick check of skyscanner, called the bro in Melbourne, called work colleagues to swap shifts, called HR to confirm attendance. Went home, paced my bags and set out on the 300km drive to Melbourne which takes 3.5 hrs. Arrived at brothers and booked flights to Sydney for 7am and Hotel

Day 3; 8.30am fight from Melbourne to Sydney, checked into the hotel. Had 2pm interview with Assurance and Advisory manager who had ironically flown up from Melbourne to conduct the interview lol! - Received phone call one hour later to say I had progressed to the next stagewhich was an informal chat with a partner. Booked hotel for another night and went and bought a brand new shirt and tie for next day. Booked flight back to Melbourne for 2pm next afternoon

Day 4; 9am coffee with partner who asked me to bulid him a spaceship lol. Wanted me to think outside the box. Had an informal chat about family, hobbies etc. Went to airport and jumped on 2pm flight to Melbourne. Hpped in car and drove 300 km to my base in west Victoria.

Day 5; Back to my 2am shift of milking cows and cleaning ****e. Received phone call to offer the role and contract negotiations to commence in the new year. Absolutley delerious with happiness.

Moral of the story: If you really want something bad enough you will do anything to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ChikiChiki wrote:
    Moral of the story: If you really want something bad enough you will do anything to get there.

Moral of this story is, some would have a break down if they lived like this, I lived only a few minutes from a job before, was working shifts, was on the pathway to a breakdown due to it, had to walk away from it. We re not all the same, we don't all have the same abilities, long term unemployment is actually complex.

You have to be a bit special to think we'd have the same jobs available without being in the EU.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

DS86DS wrote: »
    When a country has open borders and let's anybody and their cat in, this is one of the downsides. It's not politically correct to mention so, and there will be excuses made about "other factors involved".....but it's the truth that can't be spoken.

The fact also that you are willing to try your hand at some warehouse or supermarket work to get back onto the employment ladder also debunks that rubbish and nonsensical argument of

"But they're doing jobs that Irish people won't do".

A lie told by leftists the world over in order to justify having permanent and unregulated open borders to anybody who wants to come, or indeed feels it's their entitlement or "right" to come live in Ireland.

The hard rational fact is, is that if we hadn't signed our borders away to the EU, we would have jobs for our own people.

Make no mistake about it, next time you see 10 non-nationals working in a shop, that is 10 Irish people without work. Anybody who tries to pretend otherwise is lying through their teeth.

What a load of cr@p. There is an abundance of low skilled jobs that can’t be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OP just scanning over this thread. It looks like where you are based is a problem from a transportation point of view. You need to put a plan in action to deal with this. You need as suggested to try and scrape the funds together to get a cheap car or motorbike. Sorting out transport will allow you to widen your scope and give you more employment options. Just from reading your posts it appears that you want the job to land in your lap. That ain't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

I’ve just taken 38% drop in pay and increased my travel from 26km daily round trip to 80km daily round trip for a job that I really want. I’ve gone from a top management position just to get in the door in the civil service.
    You really need to have a think before making a post like this, you’re rubbing many people the wrong way with all your excuses of how you can’t get a job.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Tow

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    I’ve just taken 38% drop in pay and increased my travel from 26km daily round trip to 80km daily round trip for a job that I really want. I’ve gone from a top management position just to get in the door in the civil service.
    You really need to have a think before making a post like this, you’re rubbing many people the wrong way with all your excuses of how you can’t get a job.

The pension and working conditions more than make up the 38% drop in salary ;)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    The pension and working conditions more than make up the 38% drop in salary ;)

That’s my point. If you really want something you have to look at the positives and go for it. Making excuses and looking for negatives will get you nowhere.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Apple at home advisor salary. You just need BB at home. Training is remote also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Went from donegal to Dublin for an interview for the same job 3 differnt times, using public transport, stayed in a bnb the night before.

Stop making excuses. Get off your hole and figure it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

DS86DS wrote: »
    When a country has open borders and let's anybody and their cat in, this is one of the downsides. It's not politically correct to mention so, and there will be excuses made about "other factors involved".....but it's the truth that can't be spoken.

The fact also that you are willing to try your hand at some warehouse or supermarket work to get back onto the employment ladder also debunks that rubbish and nonsensical argument of

"But they're doing jobs that Irish people won't do".

A lie told by leftists the world over in order to justify having permanent and unregulated open borders to anybody who wants to come, or indeed feels it's their entitlement or "right" to come live in Ireland.

The hard rational fact is, is that if we hadn't signed our borders away to the EU, we would have jobs for our own people.

Make no mistake about it, next time you see 10 non-nationals working in a shop, that is 10 Irish people without work. Anybody who tries to pretend otherwise is lying through their teeth.

I don't think Irish people like hiring Irish people for some reason or another for lower paid work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cause they kick up too much of a fuss??

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

I don't think Irish people like hiring Irish people for some reason or another for lower paid work.

Personally I don't think people can live on minimum wage jobs,just an existence,no life atal
    Ireland is too expensive
    It's only the parents of Ireland that are keeping the homeless figures from been worse
    2 tier society

Personally I don't think people can live on minimum wage jobs,just an existence,no life atal
    Ireland is too expensive
    It's only the parents of Ireland that are keeping the homeless figures from been worse
    2 tier society

I don't know about that. Monthly take home on minimum wage is €1522. A couple with both partners working that's not bad at all.

I don't know about that. Monthly take home on minimum wage is €1522. A couple with both partners working that's not bad at all.

You're either joking or have never had to pay the bills in your home. That is a **** wage. Try living in a city in a decent home and pay your rent and utilities out of that money. Try paying a mortgage on it. FFS!!

Just a passenger

You're either joking or have never had to pay the bills in your home. That is a **** wage. Try living in a city in a decent home and pay your rent and utilities out of that money. Try paying a mortgage on it. FFS!!

I'm a mortgage holder. Come down off your high horse you tadger.

I've survived and managed to pay the bills on little more. (not when I'd my mortgage)

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you're just sh1t at managing your finances?

FFS!!!

Try living in New York and living on it. It's all relative. I'm guessing you're one of these people who thinks Ireland is Dublin?

35 year mortgage you'll be paying back about €450 a month.

Anyone that couldn't manage that with over €3000 a month needs their heads checked.

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/castleisland/26-st-stephens-park-castleisland-kerry-1944599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

35 year mortgage you'll be paying back about €450 a month.

Anyone that couldn't manage that with over €3000 a month needs their heads checked.

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/castleisland/26-st-stephens-park-castleisland-kerry-1944599
    If you're on minimum wage you're not going to be earning anywhere near close enough to get mortgage approval on that.

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    If you're on minimum wage you're not going to be earning anywhere near close enough to get mortgage approval on that.

I was on a smidgen more. A few years into the recession a still nothing happening here. Went over to a small town in Wales. First real job out of college.

£90 a week for a room share. Brought a ps3. Went out running a few times a week. It was hard but I made do. I managed to put away £2,500 in 12 months.

Times two for a couple? I can't see how they couldn't save that in a few years. 3,4 maybe.

Its minimum wage if that's what you make, you try to make do. You won't be buying next door to Pat Kenny.

Advertisement