Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Vs Bath 15th Dec 17:30 BT Sport 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Attendance was just over 40,000 according to ECC website.

Weather probably caused a few thousand with tickets to no show and guess very few walk ups on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Devin Toner made a whopping 20 tackles, missing none. Next to him was Dan Leavy who made 13 and missed 1. JvdF was surprisingly quiet with just 7 and missing 1. In carries, Jack Conan led the pack with 41m from 10. James Ryan made 31 from 14. Obviously, the most metres was made by Larmour with 98. :)

Most clean breaks were Adam Byrne, Garry Ringrose and Jack Conan with two apiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lowe must be some serious pain to play against. It seems every week he does something cheeky or clever and all with a big grin on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Devin Toner made a whopping 20 tackles, missing none. Next to him was Dan Leavy who made 13 and missed 1. JvdF was surprisingly quiet with just 7 and missing 1. In carries, Jack Conan led the pack with 41m from 10. James Ryan made 31 from 14. Obviously, the most metres was made by Larmour with 98. :)

Most clean breaks were Adam Byrne, Garry Ringrose and Jack Conan with two apiece.

VdF came off after about 43 mins.

VdF came off after about 43 mins.
    I know that. But that's still not up to his usual standard. If he'd doubled his tackle count, he'd still have been well behind Toner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I know that. But that's still not up to his usual standard. If he'd doubled his tackle count, he'd still have been well behind Toner.

7 tackles in a half where Leinster had 60% possession is fine. There was no problem with his work rate.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

7 tackles in the 16 mins (roughly) Leinster didn't have possession in the first half is 1 every 2 mins. That's excellent work rate and up there with his usual numbers.

Anyone know why he was taken off so early in the second half, btw?

Ruddock put in some great work when he came on actually. One instance where he chased down a grubber kick and dived at the ball to keep possession.

Faugheen wrote: »
    7 tackles in the 16 mins (roughly) Leinster didn't have possession in the first half is 1 every 2 mins. That's excellent work rate and up there with his usual numbers.

Anyone know why he was taken off so early in the second half, btw?

Ruddock put in some great work when he came on actually. One instance where he chased down a grubber kick and dived at the ball to keep possession.

He didn’t seem to have any issue when he went off,I’d say it was a plan that all going well him and Ruddock got a half each.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

salmocab wrote: »
    He didn’t seem to have any issue when he went off,I’d say it was a plan that all going well him and Ruddock got a half each.

Surely you'd just swap at the half so. A planned substitution at 43 minutes doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Surely you'd just swap at the half so. A planned substitution at 43 minutes doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If Ruddock was in the dressing room at half time it'd give him a chance to get warm

• Advertisement

7 tackles in a half where Leinster had 60% possession is fine. There was no problem with his work rate.
    Fair enough. Just thought he was quieter than usual in his last two outings. He's generally never out-tackled by any of his team mates, but he has been in the last two matches, albeit marginally.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fair enough. Just thought he was quieter than usual in his last two outings. He's generally never out-tackled by any of his team mates, but he has been in the last two matches, albeit marginally.

I think some people (not just you) are being a bit harsh on him because he's not putting up the freak numbers he was at the start of the season.

Last week the back-row as a whole weren't great, and his numbers don't look the best, but you have to remember there was at least one try-saving tackle he had to make in that game.

He's still going really well, in my opinion.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think some people (not just you) are being a bit harsh on him because he's not putting up the freak numbers he was at the start of the season.

Last week the back-row as a whole weren't great, and his numbers don't look the best, but you have to remember there was at least one try-saving tackle he had to make in that game.

He's still going really well, in my opinion.
    Ah, I'm not having a go at him. One of my favourite players for Leinster and Ireland. More a bit concerned if he's carrying an injury that's limiting his game a bit. The fact he went off so early was part of my thinking on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The likes of VDF etc will all get a nice Christmas break now....any of those little niggles will clear up so they are ready for the big games in Jan and onto the 6 nations......

It's time for the kids to get a run out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree. Some rotation needed to rest players. Next week Connacht most likely will be full strength as the rested lads over the past 2 weeks. I think we'll see a big turnover for that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I agree. Some rotation needed to rest players. Next week Connacht most likely will be full strength as the rested lads over the past 2 weeks. I think we'll see a big turnover for that match.

I’d imagine we’ll go strong at home and send the kids to Munster

stephen_n wrote: »

Poor Munster

salmocab wrote: »
    Poor Munster

Worked last year :pac:

stephen_n wrote: »

Before, during and after the game the kids have to listen to the same question:

"Any chance you want to play for Munster" :P

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Before, during and after the game the kids have to listen to the same question:

"Any chance you want to play for Munster" :P

January sales

• Advertisement

Early in the match the commentators were talking about lack of depth in mid field, they basically said 12 was the one position where they had no one to replace Henshaw etc. BOD agreed and I felt at the time it was a bit mean spirited to O'Loughlin albeit not unfair necessarily, but saying little at all positive about the guy. Not going to be easy as a young centre in Ireland hearing that kind of feedback from Drico.

I kinda thought the MOTM was probably as a result of that being pointed out to the commentators. O'Loughlin was very good, don't get me wrong but there were a few who were more influential on the game.

Bath should be sick to concede a try like James Lowe's at this level - he wasn't even obvious about it, had to go and retrieve the ball and still no one was paying attention. He really does plays at a different tempo and his rugby IQ is sky high. He's constantly live to any opportunity within the rules to eek out further advantage, and it's no surprise that he spotted Bath completely switched off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Early in the match the commentators were talking about lack of depth in mid field, they basically said 12 was the one position where they had no one to replace Henshaw etc. BOD agreed and I felt at the time it was a bit mean spirited to O'Loughlin albeit not unfair necessarily, but saying little at all positive about the guy. Not going to be easy as a young centre in Ireland hearing that kind of feedback from Drico.

I kinda thought the MOTM was probably as a result of that being pointed out to the commentators. O'Loughlin was very good, don't get me wrong but there were a few who were more influential on the game.

Bath should be sick to concede a try like James Lowe's at this level - he wasn't even obvious about it, had to go and retrieve the ball and still no one was paying attention. He really does plays at a different tempo and his rugby IQ is sky high. He's constantly live to any opportunity within the rules to eek out further advantage, and it's no surprise that he spotted Bath completely switched off.

I don't think JL even believed it himself, he got that ball, paused as if to say 'wait, what, is this really happening??' and then ran...

Fair play to him, it was a great play.

Also loved the bit in the first half where Joe was spotted and put up on the screens!!

It was an opportunistic try, Madigan used to do it all the time, scored a few if I remember

ROG got one against SA one time as well?

Players switch off, even I had switched off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm never going to begrudge a player MOTM. Fair play to ROL for getting it. Delighted for the chap and I'm sure it means a lot to him.

I though James Ryan was head and shoulders on his own though. He is just a monster and he clearly went out with a point to prove after the pack struggled physically last week. Smashed lads behind the gainline and got serious front foot ball.

That James Lowe try was gas ha. I look at him sprinting to the mark thinking "it's normally the 9s job to do the cheeky fake kick to keep the opposition interested"

Followed by "oh there he goes he's tapped it"

Followed by laughter. Only player on the pitch crazy enough to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was an opportunistic try, Madigan used to do it all the time, scored a few if I remember

ROG got one against SA one time as well?

Players switch off, even I had switched off :P

Mads did it against Ulster when faking a kick to the corner. He got very lucky though. He was able to roll over and dot down because Pienaar had stopped him. Any other player and he wouldn't have scored. As I recall that was a tight game too.

The ROG one against South Africa was controversial because the ref had just given out to their captain about discipline and told him to go talk to his players. While he was doing that, ROG tapped and went. Probably shouldn't have stood.

Mads did it against Ulster when faking a kick to the corner. He got very lucky though. He was able to roll over and dot down because Pienaar had stopped him. Any other player and he wouldn't have scored. As I recall that was a tight game too.

The ROG one against South Africa was controversial because the ref had just given out to their captain about discipline and told him to go talk to his players. While he was doing that, ROG tapped and went. Probably shouldn't have stood.

The best was Robbie Keane standing behind the goal keeper till he dropped the ball, then ran around and took it off him and scored

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but BOD really seems to go out of his way to say as little positive about Leinster as possible when commentating for BT.

dregin wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but BOD really seems to go out of his way to say as little positive about Leinster as possible when commentating for BT.

I don't think your paranoid, I think he's just saying it at a frequency only you can hear.

dregin wrote: »

I can't find it now...

Someone mentioned to BOD on Twitter he wasn't very positive towards Leinster

He replied saying the week before he had complaints about been too positive towards Leinster....

I dont think he will ever win that battle:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

BoD is very measured in his praise. Maybe he wants to keep that air of impartiality. I prefer that to the out and out cheer leading the English commentators do for Aviva Premiership sides.

Advertisement