Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should drug dealers be celebrated and revered?

Options
  • 13-12-2018 10:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Drug dealers are generally demonised, particularly in the media, but is this unfair on them? Many of them are very enterprising people, risk takers, one could say entrepreneurs. Why do we get tv shows like Dragons Den but not Drug Dealers Den? Likewise, there are Entrepreneur of the Year awards, but no Drug Dealer of the Year awards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Allinall

Balanadan wrote: »
    Drug dealers are generally demonised, particularly in the media, but is this unfair on them? Many of them are very enterprising people, risk takers, one could say entrepreneurs. Why do we get tv shows like Dragons Den but not Drug Dealers Den? Likewise, there are Entrepreneur of the Year awards, but no Drug Dealer of the Year awards.

They could rope in Samson and Rizzla and have joint awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭munster87

I’m generalising hugely here but I’ll say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Guys like Escobar while obviously evil ***** actually did do some fairly sound things aswell, misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

They are celebrated and reveered among certain section of society. You see young lads in their communities that look up to them and want to be just like them.

Personally I believe they they make a living by inflicting misery on huge numbers of families and I would have no problem with each and every one of them being hung by their genitals and bled out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Because their are tonnes of pharmacy’s in Ireland but not one dragon shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Demonizing????

Poor fellas my heart bleeds....

It's not a life anyone should lead and it's great when I see them getting taken out but it's a pity the hit men are absolutely ****e at it the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I hope they die a slow painful death.
    So in short No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

1/10.

Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Drug dealers are generally demonised, particularly in the media, but is this unfair on them?
    Of course not. Rapists are demonised too and a drug dealer is much worse than a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The guy who sold you yours obviously deserves some form of recognition for the quality of his product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Highly intelligent people had they been born into families in different postal addresses they would be captains of industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Societies are screwed when drug dealers and such are celebrated. Its a sign we lost the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Missthekids

As an ex drug dealer I can tell you that there are few who make the grade, be it consuming too much product or being robbed violently by competitors or jailed for the 'entrepreneurship' tendencies it is a massive risk to achieve nothing in life.

Then again. If you are here to demonise drug dealers then I gues you should also be campaigning outside the local pub as a purveyor of problems and social issues.

Didn't think so......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

As an ex drug dealer I can tell you that there are few who make the grade, be it consuming too much product or being robbed violently by competitors or jailed for the 'entrepreneurship' tendencies it is a massive risk to achieve nothing in life.

Then again. If you are here to demonise drug dealers then I gues you should also be campaigning outside the local pub as a purveyor of problems and social issues.

Didn't think so......

You'll have to do better than that bit of codding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Guys like Escobar while obviously evil ***** actually did do some fairly sound things aswell, misunderstood.

Bad stuff clearly outweighs any good he did, but I can see why he is revered in certain quarters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He did that purely so the public wouldn't chase him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

They are kings among losers.
    Their followers are mindless half dead zombies and sociopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

of course they must be demonized. they are a scourge and a blight on our country.
    they prey on the gullible and foolish, offering an escape from whatever the gullible and foolish wish to escape from.

they themselves are as foolish as they're obviously a pawn in a much bigger game but too stupid and greedy to see that.

You'll have to do better than that bit of codding :D

In the 90s i injected my own product. Got robbed by a big fecker with a sawn off 12 guage who kicked in my door at 3am and served over 3 years for my troubles.

In the immortal words of Mr Mackie. Drugs are bad m'kay.

(Now a decent member of society)

of course they must be demonized. they are a scourge and a blight on our country.
    they prey on the gullible and foolish, offering an escape from whatever the gullible and foolish wish to escape from.

they themselves are as foolish as they're obviously a pawn in a much bigger game but too stupid and greedy to see that.

First sentence I agree with. Second shows an ability to imagine it couldn't happen to the best and brightest. (It does)

Third. We all know what we are doing. Just as a car salesman doesn't imagine he is Henry Ford.

• Advertisement

it couldn't happen to the best and brightest. (It does)

"the best and brightest" ? :rolleyes:

rgodard80a wrote: »
    "the best and brightest" ? :rolleyes:

Go and look through your record collection. If they weren't on drugs then your taste in music is appalling.

(Now a decent member of society)

That assumes that society agrees that prison time wipes the slate clean.
    That's more of a legal interpretation than a moral one.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    That assumes that society agrees that prison time wipes the slate clean.
    That's more of a legal interpretation than a moral one.

More to do with my own realisation that my life was going nowhere, retraining and finding gainful employment and dedicating my spare time to help kids avoid the minefield I missed but I suppose you could hold my youth against me if it suits your cause.

I use it as an emotive speech in schools. Feel free to co-opt it to make a point on an anonymous internet forum if it makes your head swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mollygreene

Greyfox wrote:
    Of course not. Rapists are demonised too and a drug dealer is much worse than a rapist.

Well there's a hot take

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dunphy was right, it's impossible get good cocaine in this town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Go and look through your record collection. If they weren't on drugs then your taste in music is appalling.

We wouldn't have Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album (personal favourite) if it weren't for cocaine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Don't know about lads selling coke, heroin and the like, but if someone grows their own weed and shops it then more power to them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Fair play to them. Great to see people take a stand against outdated government policies to bring joy to so many people.

Of course it's a shame when someone falls into the pitfall of the enterprise but I'm sure without the assistance of the drug dealer they would have found another way to ruin themselves. Comes back to the whole personal responsibility thing really. I'm pretty sure the difference between most people here and the junkie on the street is not the access to supply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Could never revere the druggie Scum that broke into my gaff. Or the other druggie Scum who nicked me purse on the luas right before Christmas. Let them rot in their own puke as far as I'm concerned

Soz..just re-read the thread title and see you said drug dealer not drug users :o

Advertisement