Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think so too, a real feeling of a bygone age. I knew many houses like this in Clare and I'm only slightly north of 40.
    This man was very happy, fit and healthy for almost all his life.

There is a lot to be said for a simple life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Via broadsheet.ie - 855k for a 2bed cottage in Churchtown

However, it does come with quarter of a mini

a97a8440-479c-4aef-b65c-4de7685521bf_l.jpg
    abc82536-8c6e-4245-b164-f85eb9ba1648_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^
    My eyes! I think my retinas are melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

jaffa20 wrote: »

A total legal minefield regarding title, deeds, access etc. Anyone who even thinks about this one needs their head examined!

This thread depresses me at times.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

046233c566acb657d96f455b8babfdee.png

Come home after a long day at work, fall down in your couch. End up in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

jaffa20 wrote: »

Where is the 2nd bedroom?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some of those pictures look like an Art installation or photography project. There's something kind of sparse and beautiful about it all.

Yes that was my reaction too... So evocative and empty now so long.. Would love to be able to restore it.

The agent here is Green Valley; they are different from most agents and their write ups are distinctive.

He has some awesome properties and always mentions anyone living nearby etc as some are seeking isolation, as I do

Above all he is honest to a fault; as he says they do not call a spade a long handled soil manipulator..

See

http://www.gvp.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Look at the hideous plastic hospital trolley wheels on that mini couch...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BandMember wrote: »
    A total legal minefield regarding title, deeds, access etc. Anyone who even thinks about this one needs their head examined!

This thread depresses me at times.... :(

I bet if you ring the estate agent it'll be cash buyers only. I'd say it would be a nightmare to try and get a mortgage on that.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think so too, a real feeling of a bygone age. I knew many houses like this in Clare and I'm only slightly north of 40.
    This man was very happy, fit and healthy for almost all his life.

I reread all this and only then noticed that he lived to 106.

The last resident on this small island to die was 104. An old lady.

Like the man in Clare, most of her life would have been before electricty came to the island and before a modern water/sewage provision. The old water tower still dominates.

We still most of us rely on turf for heating and then that was the only way. Island turf..

Does indeed give pause for thought.. at this time of year we are cut off more than we are in contact. Simplifies. Slows us down. Calms and prioritizes.

And that house typifies old folk of that era. Nothing ever thrown out until it just stays and builds.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There have always been old people, but the idea that people used to live longer is an infantile fantasy.
    ourworldindata_record-female-life-expectancy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

This house in Wexford house with collapsed ceiling and abandonment look like a repossession.
    Then, in one pic looks like a a squatter left his Guinness/Heineken beside his mattress on the floor and their quality streets with fajitas in the kitchn with the collapsed ceiling. Also, every light bulb is gone from the fittings.

#img=7

#img=13

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-auction/murrintown/kildavin-lower-murrintown-wexford-1967705/

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Is there a need to leave the toilet seats up when taking the photos too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Graces7 wrote: »
    I reread all this and only then noticed that he lived to 106.

The last resident on this small island to die was 104. An old lady.

Like the man in Clare, most of her life would have been before electricty came to the island and before a modern water/sewage provision. The old water tower still dominates.

We still most of us rely on turf for heating and then that was the only way. Island turf..

Does indeed give pause for thought.. at this time of year we are cut off more than we are in contact. Simplifies. Slows us down. Calms and prioritizes.

And that house typifies old folk of that era. Nothing ever thrown out until it just stays and builds.

Thank you

Graces do you write? Because I'd read your island memoirs :)

Pretzill wrote: »
    Graces do you write? Because I'd read your island memoirs :)

Embarrassing me!

Yes I do. There are 4 books, pod, "Island Hermitage" theme.... sold to fund the work my extended family and colleagues do rescuing babies... Have a plan also for "Looking over my shoulder; a lancashire childhood"

Not sure if this one qualifies, but hey! It is Sunday..

I am abed a lot just now and love pottering on daft.... among all the wrecks etc this gave such delight..

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/ardfert/calla-breena-banemore-ardfert-kerry-1558642/

The sheer flower glory and the soft toys atop the dog pens.... and yes, rather charmingly eccentric inside

Wondering what befell the owner... oh that flower garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Not sure if this one qualifies, but hey! It is Sunday..

I am abed a lot just now and love pottering on daft.... among all the wrecks etc this gave such delight..

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/ardfert/calla-breena-banemore-ardfert-kerry-1558642/

The sheer flower glory and the soft toys atop the dog pens.... and yes, rather charmingly eccentric inside

Wondering what befell the owner... oh that flower garden!

In fairness, that's not too bad.

Dia1988 wrote: »
    This house in Wexford house with collapsed ceiling and abandonment look like a repossession.
    Then, in one pic looks like a a squatter left his Guinness/Heineken beside his mattress on the floor and their quality streets with fajitas in the kitchn with the collapsed ceiling. Also, every light bulb is gone from the fittings.

#img=7

#img=13

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-auction/murrintown/kildavin-lower-murrintown-wexford-1967705/

What do people think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What do people think?

I would live in that in a minute if I had a job in Wexford. Yes cosmetically its rough but everything else is there and only a short commute on the train to Dublin.

I would live in that in a minute if I had a job in Wexford. Yes cosmetically its rough but everything else is there and only a short commute on the train to Dublin.

Okay, I wouldn't be keen to live in Wexford because I find Wexford people very clannish. But that's neither here nor there.

I was just asking what people thought the situation of the house? Could there be a squatter?

Also how much effort would it take to actually pick up the ceiling debris or at least hide the guinness/Heineken bottles and the squatter mattress before taking the pictures?

Okay, I wouldn't be keen to live in Wexford because I find Wexford people very clannish. But that's neither here nor there.

I was just asking what people thought the situation of the house? Could there be a squatter?

Also how much effort would it take to actually pick up the ceiling debris or at least hide the guinness/Heineken bottles and the squatter mattress before taking the pictures?

Every rural place is clannish, ever read the Valley of the Squinting windows? All auld Biddies gossiping and dying men rethoric in half whiskey glasses. My father and mother moved into one of those communities in the 1970's, built a house, raised a family and carried on. In those communities they have old grudges, grippes and cliques. You wont get into them so just carry on and take time out for tea. I find not living up against my cousins and having a "family history in de toon" is very liberating.

Squatters dont have rights. I would love if someone properly qualified could comment on this. I think they have to be paying bills and making improvements to the property. What ever you do, dont recognoise them. If necessary run them off the property and move someone else in immediately. Vacant buildings are asking for trouble.

Every rural place is clannish, ever read the Valley of the Squinting windows? All auld Biddies gossiping and dying men rethoric in half whiskey glasses. My father and mother moved into one of those communities in the 1970's, built a house, raised a family and carried on. In those communities they have old grudges, grippes and cliques. You wont get into them so just carry on and take time out for tea. I find not living up against my cousins and having a "family history in de toon" is very liberating.

What ever you do, dont recognoise them. If necessary run them off the property and move someone else in immediately. Vacant buildings are asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

Having... er facilitated the expulsion of a squatter.... they have to be in sole possession of a property for 12 years, more if it is council property.. ie the owner not setting foot thereon or on land. One case when a sqautter applied to the court for adverse possession was dismissed when the owner proved he had walked the boundary of the land once in that time.

Getting them out can be a tricky process indeed; ususally court then legal eviction.a. Keep an eye on any vacant houses..

Many squatters try to persuade fol k the law is different eg that they need only be there 12 weeks..12 years or 20... and only then if there have been significant improvements made

Having... er facilitated the expulsion of a squatter.... they have to be in sole possession of a property for 12 years, more if it is council property.. ie the owner not setting foot thereon or on land. One case when a sqautter applied to the court for adverse possession was dismissed when the owner proved he had walked the boundary of the land once in that time.

Getting them out can be a tricky process indeed; ususally court then legal eviction.a. Keep an eye on any vacant houses..

Many squatters try to persuade fol k the law is different eg that they need only be there 12 weeks..12 years or 20... and only then if there have been significant improvements made
    The time and effort you put into to sneaking into a property and holding and renovating that same property. You would have honestly bought, refurbished and retained your own property without any stress. I know a scumbag neighbour who tried to do this to a widow, not sure how far they got. Really it is a bad show when this happens. If you cant find a tenant then move your own kin onto the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RTB going to monitor Boards.ie (and other social media) by ministerial order!
    Times 19/11/18
    mdXiTT5.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The property will sell easily enough and the auctioneer knows this so that's why they didn't bother cleaning up and trying to make the place look good.

I'd say there was a squatter at one stage but they probably have been cleared out. Looks like a wino rather than a long term squatter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I did a quick search this morning. Wouldn't describe the wexford - Dublin train as a short commute. Maybe that shows what we're like now. A long commute is Kerry - Donegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

For 170k I'd be willing to clean up after a squatter. Nice gaff with lovely outside space.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I did a quick search this morning. Wouldn't describe the wexford - Dublin train as a short commute. Maybe that shows what we're like now. A long commute is Kerry - Donegal :)

With laptops and trains its not so bad. its not the distance its the time lost travelling. Plus you would have country rates with city privileges

Advertisement