Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LBS wont service Bikes

Options
  • 09-11-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭

Ive never had a bike worth bringing to a shop to be serviced before, but on calling into a particular lbs (not where I bought the bike), I was informed that they don't work on bikes they haven't sold.

Is this a common thing? Will I need to go to Halfords any time I need something done on my bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cletus wrote: »
    Ive never had a bike worth bringing to a shop to be serviced before, but on calling into a particular lbs (not where I bought the bike), I was informed that they don't work on bikes they haven't sold.

Is this a common thing? Will I need to go to Halfords any time I need something done on my bike

Screw them, go somewhere else. I have brought my bike to my two LBS several times, neither of which sold it.

They obviously have enough business without yours, go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

So I can take it that its not custom and practice so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So I can take it that its not custom and practice so
    Absolutely not standard practice, I bought my two most recent bikes online and have never been turned away from a shop.
    As said already take your money elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

Not standard practice but understandable if they have enough business

Look after their own buyers first

Thomyokk wrote: »

At what cost to them in the long run though? I'd probably remember that the next time I was in the market for a new bike and not consider them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

At what cost to them in the long run though? I'd probably remember that the next time I was in the market for a new bike and not consider them.

I suppose they must be so busy that they genuinely cannot fit it in?

Surprising really. Would think in the day of the internet you are exactly the sort of customer they need.

My local fella here always services mine once a year. I buy all my tubes, gels, lights off him.

He's gonna sell me a set of wheels at some stage in the spring he just doesn't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Name them. It will stop others from wasting their time on shops that don’t want business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Most bike shops make very small margin on bikes, they money is in servicing and accessories. Crazy business decision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Name them. It will stop others from wasting their time on shops that don’t want business.
    mod note - please don't name the bike shop. i'd have to check official boards policy but i'm pretty sure they're not happy with 'name and shame' actions on boards which could get the site in trouble.

however, @OP if you give your rough location, maybe others here might be able to suggest other shops which *do* service bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

There’s an LBS local to me that has the same policy. Sells others equipment too and same policy applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Probably going off topic a bit, but this caught my interest.
    I'm old... as in I remember working on bikes with 'rod brakes', as well as cutting tubulars, repairing punctures, and re-stitching same, but not that old that I've kept an interest with newer technology.
    Back in the late 70's, and up to the early 80's I worked as 'mechanic' with my club, on various races, Tour of Irl, The Ras etc. Mostly building wheels, the odd frame repair, and the like.
    Heading to retirement, I saw a vacancy in a shop local to me looking for a 'bicycle mechanic', only to be told that for health and safety concerns I would need a 'city and guilds' in bicycle mechanics. Now I tried to point out that I've over 40 years in the motor trade, repairing things slightly heavier, faster and much more complex than bicycles, as well as my experience mentioned above.
    He was having none of it... 'city and guilds' or no job.
    Now, not to demean bicycle mechanics, but maintaining a bike is a skill every bike owner should be able to do themselves. Back in the day, most bikes came with an instruction manual. I still have several old Raleigh books. Basic skills, adjusting brakes, gears etc. I'm not trying to preach, but these are well worth learning.
    As for the City and Guilds, well it does exist, and depending on the level required, costs a few thousand to achieve.
    I've never paid anyone to fix anything for me, be it bike, car, bus or truck.
    Do it yourself, save money, and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

360 Cycles will do it for free! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/360CyclesClontarf/

360 Cycles Clontarf
    23 hrs ·
    FREEEEE SERVICE TIME!
    It's not Black Friday yet but this Friday (tomorrow) we've decided to reward our Facebook fans. Everyone who wants to get a free service (yes, FREEEEE SERVICE, which normally costs €45) please like our page and share this post. Then please email to info@360cycles.ie your booking request. Offer code to be quoted in Subject field “FBFREE”. Also include your full name, phone number and bike make, model and colour so we can make the booking.

Bookings will be taken until 6pm on Friday 09/11/2018. The bike must be dropped in to us by 8pm on Friday 09/11/2018.

Standard Bike Service €45 (FREE IF BIKE DROPPED IN BY FRIDAY 8PM):
    • Full check of frame and components for wear and/or damage
    • Bike wash and drivetrain degrease
    • Lubrication
    • Seat tube grease up
    • Stem bolts check, wheel bolts/quick releases check, pedals check, chainset and crank bolts check
    • Tyre pressure set
    • Spoke tension check/wheel alignment
    • Wheel bearing compression set
    • Headset bearing compression check
    • Bottom bracket bearing compression set (where applicable)
    • Brakes adjustment
    • Gears adjustment
    • Testing the bike on the road for the best performance
    *parts are not included and they are optional extras

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thomyokk wrote: »

And make sure they don't get any new ones. I wouldn't be back to them after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What a terrible business plan. If they are too busy, then simply say that. "We would love to take your bike, but it will take about 2 weeks to get to it. We don't want you to be disappointed" bla bla bla, whatever, but what's the logic with only servicing bikes bought from them? A bike is a bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the call for shaming is a bit OTT in fairness.

if a shop decides that it only wants to sell bikes to left handed people wearing red t-shirts and can make a valid business model out of it, then who cares?

there are grounds you can't discriminate on, age, race, gender. reasonably sure the location a bike was purchased isn't one of them

saying no here doesn't mean they don't want business, they don't want this business. if they are making as much money they can from the business they are taking then fair play to them. they've chosen a business model and if it works they make money, if they don't then they won't last long and they prove it's the wrong decision

(and for the record if i had a bike shop i'd service anything. but this is their shop and they can do whatever they like)

swarlb wrote: »

Love to

I have 2 young kids, a job, a house, a garden, a wife, 3 sporty hobbies and 1 competitive sport.

I'll wash my bike, change a puncture and change brake pads.

I'll wash my car and keep washer fluid in it.

I pay someone who knows what they're doing to do the rest.

I'm old... as in I remember working on bikes with 'rod brakes', as well as cutting tubulars, repairing punctures, and re-stitching same, but not that old that I've kept an interest with newer technology.
    Back in the late 70's, and up to the early 80's I worked as 'mechanic' with my club, on various races, Tour of Irl, The Ras etc. Mostly building wheels, the odd frame repair, and the like.
    Heading to retirement, I saw a vacancy in a shop local to me looking for a 'bicycle mechanic', only to be told that for health and safety concerns I would need a 'city and guilds' in bicycle mechanics. Now I tried to point out that I've over 40 years in the motor trade, repairing things slightly heavier, faster and much more complex than bicycles, as well as my experience mentioned above.
    Now, not to demean bicycle mechanics, but maintaining a bike is a skill every bike owner should be able to do themselves. Back in the day, most bikes came with an instruction manual. I still have several old Raleigh books. Basic skills, adjusting brakes, gears etc. I'm not trying to preach, but these are well worth learning.
    As for the City and Guilds, well it does exist, and depending on the level required, costs a few thousand to achieve.

Thanks for the reply. While i'm not a mechanic, I'll turn my hand to pretty much anything, including working on my own car. Where this came from was dropping my bike back for its 6 week check to halfords, I stopped into the lbs, just to enquire about the costs, time frames etc around bike servicing, and was just surprised at the response. I'd imagine that I can figure how to do most maintanence jobs on my bike (especially with the help of Google), and apart from specific tools for the likes of a bottom bracket, I'm pretty sure the extensive and ever expanding array of tools my wife is always giving out about will cover most eventualities :D

I've no interest in "outing" the shop, I'm sure it wasn't a personal attack on me. I was just surprised that they would turn potential business away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Are you sure it wasn't that they wouldn't do the 6 week check on a bike they hadn't sold? That sounds a bit more reasonable. It could just be a misunderstanding, given the 6 week check is usually free/ included in the new bike price.

Dont think im as old as you, but your post reminded me of my first part-time job when i was in school...fixing punctures, removing cotter pins, adjusting push-rod brakes etc.. I worked in Charleys bike shop...great memories..loved it! https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0929/731070-bicycle-sales-soar/

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't that they wouldn't do the 6 week check on a bike they hadn't sold? That sounds a bit more reasonable. It could just be a misunderstanding, given the 6 week check is usually free/ included in the new bike price.

Nope, never mentioned the 6 week check to them, just asked about servicing cost, first thing I was asked was if I bought the bike from them

Its really not a big deal, and like I said, having thought about it, don't see why I can't do the work myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have 2 young kids, a job, a house, a garden, a wife, 3 sporty hobbies and 1 competitive sport.

I'll wash my bike, change a puncture and change brake pads.

I'll wash my car and keep washer fluid in it.

I pay someone who knows what they're doing to do the rest.

I have 2 young kids, a job, a rented flat, a garden, a wife and way too many hobbies.

I build all my bikes, and service them, also for family and friends.

But hold on, I don't have any car time!

Conclusion: hidden costs of having a car can be quite unexpected ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nope, never mentioned the 6 week check to them, just asked about servicing cost, first thing I was asked was if I bought the bike from them

Its really not a big deal, and like I said, having thought about it, don't see why I can't do the work myself

It seems like a bad idea, if they can't fit you in and your not a regular, apologise and warn you it will be at least two weeks with the back log. You don't get annoyed, they may get business off you in the future.

My own LBS have serviced both bikes i have bought from them, bought on here and bought online. They are busy but they never refused custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Local guy beside me sells bikes n lawnmowers etc. He wont service anything he doesn't sell himself.
    Some customers come in n take barcodes, photos etc and then go off n buy online. He said he cant compete with the vat 3% lower in the uk, sterling slump and a lad on the Internet with lower business costs.

So if there's an issue in a year or two dont come crying to him. Not saying hes right or wrong.
    But especially with lawnmowers and stuff with engines people weigh up the fact he won't touch them and the hassle to get someone else when looking at the savings online.

My bike will be going in for minor stuff I could definitely do myself. Time is just not my friend at the moment

Depends on the circumstances of the business. I knew a guy who ran a bike shop. He was over 65, he owned the shop, had very few overheads etc. so he could afford to open/close the shop when he wanted, fix what ever bike(s) he wanted etc. If someone came in with a bike that in his eyes was a cheap BSO bought from a supermarket or online etc., his logic was that he simply didn't need that kind of hassle and would advise them to bring it back to where they bought it and ask them to fix it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be interested to know what the smallest job people have asked an LBS to do.
    mine was replacing a broken spoke, and tightening a bottom bracket, two separate jobs. no grumbling about having to do so.

i have been present there when people got a little annoyed at how much was being quoted to fix a bike, and even more annoyed at how much they'd get for the same bike on a trade-in. i suspect that's one of the less enjoyable aspects of the job.

Alek wrote: »
    I have 2 young kids, a job, a rented flat, a garden, a wife and way too many hobbies.

I build all my bikes, and service them, also for family and friends.

But hold on, I don't have any car time!

Conclusion: hidden costs of having a car can be quite unexpected ;)

I didn't know we had to list all of our time drains. I've a wife, two kids, dog, house, garden, full time job, and more mama fights, bjj matches, and youtube engineering videos than I'll be able to watch in a lifetime. Not to mention a large variety of side projects half completed in my shed.

Still reckon I could service a bike, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Based on the job I saw a popular bike shop do on a friends bike a few years back I would never drop my bike in anywhere for a service.

Half the enjoyment for me with bikes is building, servicing, upgrading and fixing them.

would be interested to know what the smallest job people have asked an LBS to do.
    mine was replacing a broken spoke, and tightening a bottom bracket, two separate jobs. no grumbling about having to do so.

i have been present there when people got a little annoyed at how much was being quoted to fix a bike, and even more annoyed at how much they'd get for the same bike on a trade-in. i suspect that's one of the less enjoyable aspects of the job.

Only yesterday I got them to put a set of cleats on my shoes. Mine came loose on the ride home and were worn out anyway. To be fair I asked to borrow a screwdriver and they said they couldn't for insurance purposes but they fit them for free

• Advertisement

I dropped a wheel into my guy for a spoke 2 months ago. Picked up after work.

Advertisement