Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just on the subject of Louis repeating himself with the subject matter. I read an interview with him recently and he said that he was under pressure to release 3 docs this year so he went back to subjects he was familiar with.

He also said that he’s currently working on a doc about Trump supporters.

If he were working as a cottage operation, I'd say that 3 might be hard to pull off, but he's got a whole team behind him.

I'll watch the hell out of that Trump supporters one if he finishes it. There's actually more scope, there. He could talk to both the really right wing Trump supporters and/or Alt Right people, and then also the really left wing Bernie Sanders supporters and/or AntiFa.

Could do a lot of stuff relating to Internet phenomena. I'd like to see him do one on Vloggers, both successful and struggling. You can imagine some of the personalities you'd uncover in that game. Feminists and/or Men's rights people, looking at the extreme ends of those issues would be very interesting as well. 4 Chan and trolling communities. Lot of interesting stories that have cropped up in the last decade or so that would feel fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I know he already went back but I would love a follow up on the Phelps to see what they're up to now in Trumps America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I believe it's down to quality and if any adulterants have been added.

I know of two doctors here in London who semi regular use heroin but what they use is hospital grade, no adultarants and they know the source!

It's a recreational thing for them, maybe 2-3 times per year.

briany wrote: »
    I think the opioid crisis has been going on for quite a while in that part of the USA. Seems like the root of the opioid crisis in Huntington, VA shares the same roots as the one in Oceania, VA (and perhaps many other towns around the state). A similar documentary called Oxyana covers the Oxycontin epidemic in the latter town.

Question - What's with the difference in how heroin seems to affect people? Between the spectrum of being in a nodding stupor, through to injecting it and then standing up and just seeming relatively normal? And yes, I know about the idea of tolerance, but take the two long time users in the documentary, Katillia, and the guy living in the tent. The first didn't seem too affected when she shot up, but the guy had that kind of sleepy affect you'd associate with a heroin addict. And then you might see a junkie in town, and they look like they'd have a tolerance, but it's not uncommon to see them in that stupified state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Last night's episode wasn't a huge revelation if you've ever seen a show like The Wire, but was a reminder of the vicious cycle of violence that continues to plague lower-class black neighbourhoods in USA, and it's a pattern that can be seen around the world. Broken families, a tenuous code of morality and a adversarial relationship with authority. Sad, and it's hard to see a way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I didn't see it mentioned before but there's an episode on tonight at 9 about anorexia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

My Scientology Movie is airing next Sunday night at 9.00pm on BBC2 ........

......... never got a chance to see this one, so looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Couple of things stood out to me from Sunday's episode on Anorexia.

Louis seemed more distressed at times than I can recall him being when dealing with other difficult issues.

Also, I found it fascinating how the women and girls in the facility all had such a similar way about them - the way they carried themselves, how deliberate their movements were when eating, a bit of a thousand-yard stare, selectively introspective.

I'm astonished that older woman is still alive with what she's surviving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

FouxDaFaFa wrote:
    Couple of things stood out to me from Sunday's episode on Anorexia.

FouxDaFaFa wrote:
    Louis seemed more distressed at times than I can recall him being when dealing with other difficult issues.

For some very peculiar reason,I was unable to watch the most of the programme. I saw as far as the 60 year old woman eating bits of the cracker,so it was at the beginning.

I found it very disturbing like Louis no doubt who appeared visibly moved by the interaction with the sufferers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very sad episode. The woman in her 60s had some quite troubling experiences going back many years, but did seem to a little bit of energy about her. However, I think it was Jess (?) the young 20 something who came across as the most numbed by the illness, when she talked about wanting a break from her head.

Louis's own distress was palpable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Hi Scientology movie was very disappointing. Not a patch on Going Clear.

He's massively better when he's in the thick of it. Surprised they released it at all considering it was just re-hashing stuff from other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just a heads up, Louis is back tonight on BBC2 with a new documentary. Altered States: Love Without Limits. He explores whether the traditional model of marriage is fit for purpose.

Nothing like a Louis Theroux documentary on a Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Nothing like a Louis documentary to round off the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Its not on ! Or is it just me that cannot see it on BBC?

Its not on ! Or is it just me that cannot see it on BBC?

BBC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

EPAndlee wrote: »
    BBC 2
    I can see it on my paper for 10.30 for BBC2 but there is a program about slavery on my BBC2 , Im confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Absolute liberal freaks. That poor guy at the start is such a cuck

I can't comprehend these peoples lifestyles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can see it on my paper for 10.30 for BBC2 but there is a program about slavery on my BBC2 , Im confused.

It was on at 9

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ricero wrote: »
    Absolute liberal freaks. That poor guy at the start is such a cuck

So because people enjoy a lifestyle that's not for you (or admittedly for me either) you trot out the standard ridiculous right-wing, toxic masculinity bullsh*t line? What harm are those people and their lifestyle doing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

It was on at 9

Probably depends on BBC or BBC NI. It's on now on NI broadcast.

Polymorphic couples. Some really odd people. Sexually, who cares but there are a few that need to be cared for in a mental institution with no sarcasm whatsoever.

How does he find these people for his various shows ?

• Advertisement

Giver receiver section in house with people touching/kissing but no riding. I've never seen anyone as awkward and lost. Poor Louis.

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Zaph wrote: »
    So because people enjoy a lifestyle that's not for you (or admittedly for me either) you trot out the standard ridiculous right-wing, toxic masculinity bullsh*t line? What harm are those people and their lifestyle doing you?

Perhaps freaks was a strong word but i can only imagine the damage these people have done to their kids mentally. The couple who decided to not assign their baby a gender say all i need to know about these people.

To me most of them actually didnt seem happy. That poor Jerry guy is a tortuted soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Exactly! Im pretty open minded and my philosophy would be, as long as you’re doing no harm, there but for the grace of God. But it was obvious that this wasn’t a two way thing. It just smacked of selfishness. Jerry was tortured by the the whole situation and his wife just wanted her cake. It was all just a protracted long goodbye. Can’t be healthy for the kids involved either.

Perhaps freaks was a strong word but i can only imagine the damage these people have done to their kids mentally. The couple who decided to not assign their baby a gender say all i need to know about these people.

To me most of them actually didnt seem happy. That poor Jerry guy is a tortuted soul.

Damage to their kids? Really? Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I wouldn't want to be around when he cracks. His wife and himself are both weak. The other lad comes across as a complete and utter creep and his wife gretchen clearly just doesnt give a bollix and is probably a lesbian.

Disgusting way to treat somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

kona wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be around when he cracks. His wife and himself are both weak. The other lad comes across as a complete and utter creep and his wife gretchen clearly just doesnt give a bollix and is probably a lesbian.

Disgusting way to treat somebody.

you joking me...Gerry's wife is weak? She was all hugs and ooh and I love you till the end when Louix put it to her that her husband was suffering...you could see her anger spilling out that she wasn't expecting the situation and she'd lost control of it...Poor pathetic Gerry her husband admitted he'd be happy just watching her and Joe get it on if she'd even allow that. She said, unequivocally no to that - watching her tell her own husband he's excluded from her sex life when she preached about non exclusive relationships is absolutely beautiful irony at its best here.

Maybe polygamy for some relationships might end up on equal terms but that relationship wasn't one of them. In that situation yes, it's very damaging to a child as the kid will see the inequality and take cues from it. Unbelievable. To me that woman was the biggest bitch going. Funny that in all 3 stories the women were running the show... they all instigated the polygamy.

As for not assigning a gender to your child? those people just refuse to grow up. You don't trump nature, you complete twats. I just wanted to slap my TV so much watching this they were a gang of damaged juvenile twits who didn't want responsibility. Pity the kids.

I'm curious of what happens with these genderless childs. When do they decide their gender?

Babooshka wrote: »
    you joking me...Gerry's wife is weak? She was all hugs and ooh and I love you till the end when Louix put it to her that her husband was suffering...you could see her anger spilling out that she wasn't expecting the situation and she'd lost control of it...Poor pathetic Gerry her husband admitted he'd be happy just watching her and Joe get it on if she'd even allow that. She said, unequivocally no to that - watching her tell her own husband he's excluded from her sex life when she preached about non exclusive relationships is absolutely beautiful irony at its best here.

Maybe polygamy for some relationships might end up on equal terms but that relationship wasn't one of them. In that situation yes, it's very damaging to a child as the kid will see the inequality and take cues from it. Unbelievable. To me that woman was the biggest bitch going. Funny that in all 3 stories the women were running the show... they all instigated the polygamy.

As for not assigning a gender to your child? those people just refuse to grow up. You don't trump nature, you complete twats. I just wanted to slap my TV so much watching this they were a gang of damaged juvenile twits who didn't want responsibility. Pity the kids.

I'm struggling to see how any of this is damaging to a child.

How are they refusing to grow up?

No you don't trump nature but the majority of what gender is is constructed by us. Nature didn't dictate that boys wear blue and play with tonka trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I'm struggling to see how any of this is damaging to a child.

How are they refusing to grow up?

No you don't trump nature but the majority of what gender is is constructed by us. Nature didn't dictate that boys wear blue and play with tonka trucks.

That woman married to Gerry (I can't remember her name) just wanted her cake and eat it, you could quite clearly see that she didn't have any attraction for her husband any more and you can dress it up in whatever BS you want to (her I'm referring to...) but if it walks like a duck. She also had them all playing along in this "we all have a great life tra la la" fantasy where the daughter hugs the other concubine as though they're all great friends, and it was so fake and forced looking, as soon as she got questioned by Louis her front fizzled away and her true controlling personality shone through. She wants her husband to roll over and play along rather than divorce him fine, but she was using her issues and dressing them up in a poly relationship to disguise it. He was completely down in his boots, no self esteem, you could tell a million miles off the man was utterly broken, if you didn't see that, that's ok, I did. How that is healthy for any child as parental role models, I have no idea. The issue wasn't with polygamy for me, it was with a farcical pretence set up in that womans head with the two poor fools playing along.

Joe's wife told Louis that Gerry's wife asked for 4 more days of Joe's company and she refused - she refused, not Joe, they were speaking about him as if he was a posession, both of them here...if that was 2 men discussing a woman there would be uproar. But because it's all dressed up as free loving liberalism we're all meant to act hey, it's all good, everyone's happy. The only person happy was the woman married to Gerry, the other woman was just happy her husband wasn't jumping on her for sex any more, and the whole thing was pretty dysfunctional.

Regarding the gender issue, they didn't say that they weren't raising the child with gender constraints, they refused to refer to the child as any particular gender, which again just smacks of juvenile BS but if you disagree you disagree I won't get into an argument with you, I thought it was f*7ing ridiculous. A micky means male, a fanny is female, nature has spoken. If you refuse to start calling a duck a duck because it may want to be a goose, that's grand, you can all just refer to everything as it from now on. Not me though. I'm old school like that.

Advertisement