Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology starting to scare me?

Options
  • 04-11-2018 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Why are we so obsessed with technological progress? Does anyone ever feel like we are subconciously pushing towards some end? Does anyone else ever wonder if humanity's goal, our purpose, is to bring about a new type of life which will be the next form to dominate this planet? I worry sometimes about the extent to which technology will control our lives in the decades to come. The internet has really changed our world on a fundamental level in a very short space of time when you compare it to other human inventions. A lot of people are incredibly focused on developing new tech, making it smarter, making it learn faster, making it better at predicting. Google follow everything I do on the internet. Yesterday during my lunch I browsed Amazon on my tablet. Later that evening while at home on my desktop I noticed ads on facebook and elsewhere which were clearly related to what id been looking at on Amazon. It worries me sometimes when I thnk about the extent to which my life is monitored by machines. Even my car is connected to the internet now with google maps probably tracking me everywhere I go. It almost drives itself. I drove across Galway in rush hour traffic for an hour yesterday from work to my house without touching any peddles until I parked outside my house. Even 10 years ago things were vastly different. THe rate of progress seems to be increasing all the time. Am I the only one who is becoming scared of technology?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No i'm holding out for replicators

earl grey tea, hot

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Google tracks activity by your phone via GPS and phone mast data, if you went in to a knocking shop at 4pm and so did another 40 people it would show activity in the knocking shop busy at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

What kind of car doesn't need you to touch the pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

One with adaptive cruise control. You have to start moving and then set it at a certain max speed but it notices cars in front of me and slows down to keep me a safe distance, even to a full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was going to ask that! He was probably in the passenger seat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Most modern technology is there to solve a problem that does not exist.

Its there to aid people, in particular the younger generation, that are too stupid or too lazy to learn how to do basic ****.

Why do mobile payments exist? Because some people are too lazy to carry a card or cash or worse too lazy to reach in their pocket.

And it is slowly being forced on the rest of us. Soon all tv sets will have that Google assistant installed, listening to everything you say and do at home. The problem is once something is developed we are getting told we MUST use it. We don't have a choice.

I'm sure with the invention of cars people thought similar to you OP but they didn't have the internet to voice their concern. I think the internet is a great thing but it and the associated technologies of smart this that and the other arent needed. Over reliance on anything is a bad thing. I'm sure in 20 years from now technology will probably carry a health warning like cigarettes do now.

MadYaker wrote: »
    One with adaptive cruise control. You have to start moving and then set it at a certain max speed but it notices cars in front of me and slows down to keep me a safe distance, even to a full stop.

sounds futuristic but then im not one to keep up with technology. Not sure id be comfortable to trust it, especially around Galways rush hours

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Google are improving their T-1000 whereas Amazon apparently have developed a prototype called T-3000!
    Technology is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cyberdyne, Inc is also the name of a real life Japanese company which manufactures robotic suits, HAL5 endoskeletons and such like. This suit can increase mere human strength by <x10.

A Cyberdyne Systems series T-800 Model 101 Terminator with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton, was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, is the main antagonist of The Terminator, the original Terminator film. Random coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP needs to watch the reimaged Battlestar Galactica tv series to see similarities.

"This has all happened before and it will happen again."

Cylons.jpg

This is the current problem with technology.

https://nypost.com/video/a-bozo-is-so-engrossed-in-his-phone-he-doesnt-notice-a-robbery/

And its only getting worse.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Most modern technology is there to solve a problem that does not exist.

Its there to aid people, in particular the younger generation, that are too stupid or too lazy to learn how to do basic ****.

Why do mobile payments exist? Because some people are too lazy to carry a card or cash or worse too lazy to reach in their pocket.

And it is slowly being forced on the rest of us. Soon all tv sets will have that Google assistant installed, listening to everything you say and do at home. The problem is once something is developed we are getting told we MUST use it. We don't have a choice.

Too lazy to carry cash?
    too lazy to carry a debit card?

all of which are lighter than a phone?

Or perhaps, grandad, it’s because most people have their mobile with them when they’re out and about and it’s more secure than a wallet full of cash or a debit card. If someone robs my phone well **** me im down a phone but if someone robs my wallet well then I’m really ****ed, there goes

My cash
    My credit and debit card
    License
    Passport card if I have one
    Age card possibly
    And all manner of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why are we so obsessed with technological progress? Does anyone ever feel like we are subconciously pushing towards some end? Does anyone else ever wonder if humanity's goal, our purpose, is to bring about a new type of life which will be the next form to dominate this planet? I worry sometimes about the extent to which technology will control our lives in the decades to come. The internet has really changed our world on a fundamental level in a very short space of time when you compare it to other human inventions. A lot of people are incredibly focused on developing new tech, making it smarter, making it learn faster, making it better at predicting. Google follow everything I do on the internet. Yesterday during my lunch I browsed Amazon on my tablet. Later that evening while at home on my desktop I noticed ads on facebook and elsewhere which were clearly related to what id been looking at on Amazon. It worries me sometimes when I thnk about the extent to which my life is monitored by machines. Even my car is connected to the internet now with google maps probably tracking me everywhere I go. It almost drives itself. I drove across Galway in rush hour traffic for an hour yesterday from work to my house without touching any peddles until I parked outside my house. Even 10 years ago things were vastly different. THe rate of progress seems to be increasing all the time. Am I the only one who is becoming scared of technology?

When technology creates an interface to break your rectangle of text into readable paragraphs, I'll actually read it.

This is the current problem with technology.

https://nypost.com/video/a-bozo-is-so-engrossed-in-his-phone-he-doesnt-notice-a-robbery/

And its only getting worse.

Is that for real?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    When technology creates an interface to break your rectangle of text into readable paragraphs, I'll actually read it.

There’s already one, it’s called the return key. Maybe the OP is afraid to use his though. Technology. Ooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Reassure yourself that technology isn't that advanced yet by using the self service checkout in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Is that for real?

Doubt it. On the off chance it is, it doesn't mean anything.
    If the guy missed the robbery cause he was asleep would sleep be a bad thing?

Reassure yourself that technology isn't that advanced yet by using the self service checkout in Tesco.

6966G3Z.jpg

Is that for real?

Its for real.

• Advertisement

paragraphs arent technology bud

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Too lazy to carry cash?

Or perhaps, grandad, it’s because most people have their mobile with them when they’re out and about and it’s more secure than a wallet full of cash or a debit card. If someone robs my phone well **** me im down a phone but if someone robs my wallet well then I’m really ****ed, there goes

My cash
    My credit and debit card
    License
    Age card possibly

Why would you leave the house with all that in one easy to lose/rob item?

I'm leaving the house. House key check, drivers licence and bank card in my pocket. Done.

6966G3Z.jpg

The ones in SuperValu are great if you get one of these impatient twats that plonk their basket down as soon as you scan your last item.

Pay, pack your bag, take change and as soon as it says "thank you for shopping at xxx" put your bag back down in the bagging area and pretend to read the receipt or count the change.

"Unknown item in bagging area". Pick up bag and laugh while they try to summon help from the only staff member in the shop. Serves you right. Bet you would not jump in my grave as quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Why would you leave the house with all that in one easy to lose/rob item?

I'm leaving the house. House key check, drivers licence and bank card in my pocket. Done.

We don't.

I leave the house with my inexpensive Huawei phone, and keys.

My phone has contactless payments, emergency cash from ATM and all the other useful apps as well as being a phone :)

If I lose it, or it gets robbed, everything is backed up and downloads to my replacement. The idea of carrying notes and coins is archaic and a huge PITA.

I get your point TwentyGrand but i think the opposite, ive an archaic phone.

Last few weeks ive been paid direct to my account, ive no cash in my pockets, i always feel cash is king.

the sooner cash is ceased to be used the better. I always hiss when I enter a shop that has no card machine or a ridiculous extra charge for “under X amount”. I’m also pretty sure I read somewhere that’s illegal.

Too lazy to carry cash?

My cash
    My credit and debit card
    License
    Age card possibly

Well you should learn to look after your belongings. In my lifetime I have lost one phone in a lake. Never had a phone or a wallet stolen. Why? Because this "grandad" looks after them (I am in my 30s btw).

People lose stuff and stuff gets stolen. The solution is to take more care of your stuff. Not chuck it all on a phone.

We once got taught personal responsibility and the value of items. Not anymore.

As I said, most technology solves problems that don't/should not exist.

You have everything on a phone because you are too lazy or preoccupied with the phone to remember or watch your wallet.

Well you should learn to look after your belongings. In my lifetime I have lost one phone in a lake. Never had a phone or a wallet stolen. Why? Because this "grandad" looks after them (I am in my 30s btw).

People lose stuff and stuff gets stolen. The solution is to take more care of your stuff. Not chuck it all on a phone.

We once got taught personal responsibility and the value of items. Not anymore.

I haven’t ever lost a wallet or phone. I’m simply saying your post calling people lazy for using Android or Apple Pay is ridiculous. Can you explain to me how it’s laziness?

I haven’t ever lost a wallet or phone. I’m simply saying your post calling people lazy for using Android or Apple Pay is ridiculous. Can you explain to me how it’s laziness?

Latte in one hand, phone always in the other. Too lazy to put one down and reach into a pocket.

Go into any self-service line in any supermarket around lunch or 17:30 and witness it yourself. Its fecking hilarious watching it sometimes.

They cant work out that they need to put something down. Its like watching chimps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Technology has advanced in ways to sell you crap, otherwise not much has changed since the seventies.

Advertisement