Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Halloween support/rant thread!

Options
  • 23-09-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

A few rockets on fri evening and yesterday when we were indoors and he was upset. Not frantic but just worried and listening. A kong and some relaxing music on youtube settled him.

I doubt I'll be able to get him out for an evening walk much longer - once he gets a few scares when he's actually outside that'll be it.! :( :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

They’ve been going off for weeks here, they launch them into the underground car park, shoot them at each other, children as young as 3/4 handling them without supervision...

I’ll be honest, until we adopted Mr C, I was pretty ignorant about the effects of fireworks on dogs. None of our other pets are bothered at all.

We’ve been working on it but it isn’t clear cut so we have to take a multi faceted approach and it can be really tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is year 5/9 working on it. He was fine until he was 4 :( I was the same until he started being afraid of them - oblivious! I remember loads going off in the park one time and he looked at me as if to say 'should i be afraid like everyone else?' told him everything was ok and off he went playing not a bother on him! Now i'm trying to decide which harness to put him in to restrain him best if gets a fright when we're out on a walk! It has gotten better but there hasn't been tons going off yet or the really loud ones so we'll see what happens. I have the risk factor of Lucy picking up on him being afraid too so will have to see how we get on and make a decision on leaving him behind in the evening rather than undo our work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Have you considered Mutt Muffs or similar to help him manage?

Have a set to try this year but he's not at that stage yet. Also i don't know if I want to have them on him out on walks :o

We’ve a pair of mutt muffs, but they are just a tool.

I’m also worried about the setbacks, but more importantly the ‘trigger’ stacking it is incredibly difficult to get mr c reset. We also have the other dogs barking in the area to contend with when they go off :(

One positive is that we’ve been using the click/mark to calm method with some success as his threshold is better(?) depending on how you look at it.

My in laws golden is non plussed about them, even on her walks.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Have a set to try this year but he's not at that stage yet. Also i don't know if I want to have them on him out on walks :o

:) snap!

Boo - well a couple went off! He’s camped out in the kicthen snoozing on a blanket. The fact that I have treats going in the dehydrator in there may be another draw too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I've been scrubbing the house for most of the day and just sitting on the back door step too cool off. Dogs beside me of course. We've had a couple of those 'screamers' going off but he just had a gruff at them and went about his business. I think it was purely because there was a gap between each that he didn't react in the way he normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

I found this from the UK Dog's Trust really good last year. You play the fireworks and other sounds from Soundcloud for a few weeks in advance, on a low volume to get your dog used to the sound at a low level. Then I gradually increased the noise up overtime and when the actual fireworks kicked off in the town he barely took any heed and this is a dog that hears EVERYTHING. :pac:

I said to other friends with dogs and they all found it really good. I only ran it in the background for maybe 10 minutes every few days or so.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/dog-behaviour-health/sound-therapy-for-pets

Bailey's too clever for that lol! He copped it was coming from the laptop or when I streamed it to the TV etc! :p We got back from the vets yesterday at 12:15 and a rocket went off and then they were going off every now and again all afternoon / evening. Lucy was asleep most of the time because she was upstairs with me while I was working BUT sometimes she gets a bit unsure if she sees him getting upset so I need to keep an eye on that so she doesn't think that she should be afraid too! If she's out and hears one she'll look at me for a reaction some of the time so I've been praising and giving her a treat etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

tk123 wrote: »
    Bailey's too clever for that lol! He copped it was coming from the laptop or when I streamed it to the TV etc! :p We got back from the vets yesterday at 12:15 and a rocket went off and then they were going off every now and again all afternoon / evening. Lucy was asleep most of the time because she was upstairs with me while I was working BUT sometimes she gets a bit unsure if she sees him getting upset so I need to keep an eye on that so she doesn't think that she should be afraid too! If she's out and hears one she'll look at me for a reaction some of the time so I've been praising and giving her a treat etc
    Wow he is clever! :eek::) Monty would occasionally look towards me, try and gauge my reaction and then continue napping / destroying my slipper etc. But I think for him it definitely did work and I must start it up again soon. Even on Halloween night he didn't flinch when he would with other sudden noises. It is interesting how they will try and gauge your own reaction to something and then you see the tail wag a little bit :)

I know I'm jinxing myself now, but we've had a very, very quiet run up to Halloween this year! A few fireworks but nothing like the 'screamers' that we've had in the past that usually set our lad off. We've had lyric FM on during the day when we're at work at it has had a really soothing affect on both dogs. Usually we have a few notifications from the camera when they move around/play etc but since we've had the music on there's been barely anything.

Mr C & I spent the majority of the early afternoon in town on Friday & the entire evening in the pub. Mr C didn't utter a peep, no barking at all the entire evening, thinking we have to repeat but record the sounds as he was so comfortable he slept belly up on the bench between OH & I until kicking out time. TBH, since we've had him, I've never seen him so comfortable and it was really busy.

Yesterday wasn't too bad, but its been relentless today though...he's beginning to lose his voice. We are trying to redirect but they are going off in the underground carpark & plaza.

We’ve had good and bad days. Not having him out in the evenings has definitely helped. I’ve made his scare spot in the kitchen more comfortable and have pet remedy plug in above it, his vest on each evening and a few different treat dispensers for him. My plan for Wednesday is to take them out early for a long walk and then we’re in for the day with his relaxing music and tv turned up. I’ve big huge orstrich bones set aside for them lol as well as tons of assorted other goodies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Has anyone noticed how loud the bangers have gotten this year ??

Our dog wasn't at all bothered last year but the last week some seriously loud ones made him jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mine are not bothered at all by them but I am going to sort out some nice tasty kongs for them for later as I will be busy with little scary callers to the house

I got them out for a lovely walk in St Anne's this morning so some off lead time in safe places for Bailey and lots of sniffing and looking at squirrels! We sat and had a coffee - sadly it was mammies coffee morning at the same time so it was quite noisy and kids flying around on scooters screaming and shouting - well the dogs were better behaved than the kids :p Both of them nice and relaxed now so I hope it lasts for a while longer at least. I'll be giving him some calming pills with his dinner in a couple of hours and then getting ready with his vet, mufflers, treats, music etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm so lucky that Gracie (an otherwise very nervous soul) isn't bothered in the least by fireworks.

Would a Thundercoat/weighted blanket be any use for those poor doggies who are afraid?

Annnd we're off! :( Vest going on him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Cody is oblivious to the whole thing.. not bothered on bit - thank god!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

We have 2 dogs - one would probably set bangers off herself if she got the chance, the other petrified of the noise.

We live in the countryside, so also get pheasant shooting and crops guns going off and this year she's even had issues with coal crackling in the fireplace.

The guys in petstop suggested we try the pet remedy plug-in and I can give it a hearty thumbs up. She'll still put the tail down with the louder fireworks, but she no longer is running ragged about the house and trying to hide under beds.

https://www.petstop.ie/pet-remedy-plug-in-diffuser I would guess its available widely in most pet shops / vets and it did take a week or so before the effects were noticeable.

Holy ****. The noise of some of these things

I thought I was on the ball getting the dogs out for a looong walk nice and early away from town so we would be more guaranteed not to come across any fireworks.
    We had no fireworks but it was raining (one dog hated this, stood shivering as though I'd made him walk through the Arctic) and then we had leaves to contend with(which the other dog hated, tip toed through them and around them). I gave up after half an hour so now we're home with the fire going and the dog that hates fireworks is in his cave on top of his bed. Have toys stuffed and ready to go when it kicks off. Not sure how happy the OH will be with the noise of a Kong gyro/treat ball being slammed off the skirting boards as he has an online lecture later. So his head phones will be ready too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The mammy put the madra in at 4, checked the cameras there and shes snug with her arse to the radiator. I'll be home with her in about 30 mins and thats her safe for the night.

My poor little daughter is hiding in her room with ear defenders & radio at full volume.

Knine wrote:
    My poor little daughter is hiding in her room with ear defenders & radio at full volume.

Hopefully they will die down soon enough and she will have some peace. People don't seem to understand the impact that fireworks have on people/animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

God one went off right over the house - at least 30 bangs in a row. He was all settled with his bone and a knock at the door... My dad's first time answering the door at Halloween and he got a bit over excited.. and freaked Lucy out! Once all of that happened he didn't want the none bone anymore.. Onto a hoof instead.. he's listening to my lecture too for noise lol

Knine wrote: »

Ahh I really feel for your daughter, I’ve a few neighbours that have kids terrified of them. It’s so heartbreaking.

Mr C isn’t bothered by them on tele but in front of the apt you bet. Right now it feels as if we are under mortar attacks...

• Advertisement

We're in my mams house. My two and her border collie aren't bothered at all. But her poor lurcher is walking around and her legs are shaking like jelly. Apparently she's a lot calmer than she was before we arrived though. She obviously finds strength in numbers.

Advertisement