Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question of Career..

Options
  • 23-10-2018 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I'm aware this is After Hours which does open this discussion up to the more crass and flippant users on here but I'm gonna give this a go anyway.

Basically, I'm in final year of college and all I see is a life in the corporate world stretched out in front of me. I have interviews with the Big 4 and, despite the fact that I would rather blow my brains out than willingly work for them, I find myself preparing for the interviews even though I have no ambition or desire to pursue that career path.

For someone who despises the corporate world, what can they do in life? I'm studying Business & German so the degree is tailored for the corporate world and, being honest, I am dreading finishing college as I feel fairly lost about it all.

I've considered becoming a football manager as I do feel I have a talent for tactical analysis, scouting players and organisation in general. However, it's not exactly something you can just wander into and start work in and I can't afford to pay fees for another course in college.

I'm open to criticism, complaints and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What would you like to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I have interviews with the Big 4 and, despite the fact that I would rather blow my brains out than willingly work for them, I find myself preparing for the interviews even though I have no ambition or desire to pursue that career path.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, if you got a job with them or went through their graduate program successfully it would be a massive boost to your options. Both nationally and especially internationally.

I certainly don't know much about being a football coach but unless it's something you're already involved in (or are playing football at a high level) I think that's probably not a goer. Unless of course you're talking the local youths.

My advice would be go to the interviews, do them as best as you can, await the outcome and then have another think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

For someone who despises the corporate world, what can they do in life?

Out of curiosity, describe for us what you see as 'the corporate world'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I've considered becoming a football manager as I do feel I have a talent for tactical analysis, scouting players and organisation in general. However, it's not exactly something you can just wander into and start work in and I can't afford to pay fees for another course in college.

Polish up your c.v. and get yourself over to Salford. There'll be a vacancy over there in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Big 4? I'd go with City.

Even when he does go, Guardiola has left foundations there that will be built upon for years. United are a mess, Chelsea could be sold at any moment and Liverpool never really convince.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

You are already in a good mindset for someone so young.

Don't join the Big 4 or any large multinational. They will brainwash immediately and try and burn you out. Within a year you will be talking in clichés and forget the graduate with vision that you once were. Large organisations will never really care about your welfare; you might get a good salary and great bonuses but only because you are making 10 times that amount for someone up the pyramid scheme.

Follow your instincts, don't become a robot. You won't even realise you are a robot if you join a "prestigious" pigsty.

My advice, learn Mandarin, move to China and take up football management there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i was exactly like you op, knew in my last year of college that i would not be happy in the corporate world. got a corporate job, knew on day 1 it wasn't for me, stuck it out for a short while,but wearing a suit every day, working in such a rigid and false environment with colleagues who would stab you in the back as soon as look at you.i had zero interest in the work i was doing. i quit the job having nothing lined up. within 3 days i decided i would like to work for myself.

i had always been interested in entrepreneurs and reading their autobiographies. it took me about a year to get up and running, im in business 2 and a half years now, its going really well, very long hours but it doesn't bother me at all as i enjoy it.

also i wouldn't listen to the advice that it is too late to become a football manager if you have no experience in it, look at jose mourinho, he was bobby robson's translator and look where he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

**** hope do dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Business and German? Aongus will be along shortly with some tips

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Through Hell and Back

I'm aware this is After Hours which does open this discussion up to the more crass and flippant users on here but I'm gonna give this a go anyway.

Basically, I'm in final year of college and all I see is a life in the corporate world stretched out in front of me. I have interviews with the Big 4 and, despite the fact that I would rather blow my brains out than willingly work for them, I find myself preparing for the interviews even though I have no ambition or desire to pursue that career path.

For someone who despises the corporate world, what can they do in life? I'm studying Business & German so the degree is tailored for the corporate world and, being honest, I am dreading finishing college as I feel fairly lost about it all.

There seems to be a new career opening up where if you throw yourself at the Luas, you can earn half a million or more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Don't be afraid of becoming a sheep. The herd is good. Join us.

Or open a vegan salad bar with your parents second mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't really trust the gut instinct about corporate environments. For one, they're not all the same. Even within the one company there can be a lot of variation. For another, you probably haven't worked in even one. So there's that.

One possibility is to just suck it up. Start down that career path. It's not one route; lots of people do 2-3 years at those places and then have the CV to move into all sorts of other things. Or maybe you don't hate it, and keep going in a well paying job that doesn't suck. Maybe you get a coaching licence and wind up coaching Bray Wanderer's Under 15s in your spare time (I don't know that Brian Kerr started very differently). Worst that happens is you can't stick it, and you exit after a few months hardly worse off than now. At least you'd know it's definitely not for you.

The other is you take a risk. There are worse times of life to do this - presumably you're young, healthy, free of debt or responsibilities. If you can make enough to pay rent, food and bills, or can live with family willing to support you, the downside isn't so bad. But if you're doing that, do it with a clear vision of what you're doing, and go at it with a will.

But whatever you do, don't take life advice from strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

mikhail wrote: »

But whatever you do, don't take life advice from strangers on the internet.

Especially this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm studying Business & German so the degree is tailored for the corporate world

Top tip:

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Even when he does go, Guardiola has left foundations there that will be built upon for years. United are a mess, Chelsea could be sold at any moment and Liverpool never really convince.

:D
    LMAO !!!

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Business and German? Aongus will be along shortly with some tips

Oh yes please ! Aonghus get on here with some advice, pity we can't @ users here ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I did corporate world for 11 years including Big 4. I was a good performer but really wasn't suited to that world and found myself become unfulfilled and eventually depressed. Thats when I decided I wanted out and got out. Currently in construction where money is good, loving the outdoors, and training to be a pilot part time. Doing everything I can to get into my dream career. Making huge sacrifices along the way.

The way I look at things is you spend around 8 hours a day for 50 years of your life at work. You spend another 7 hours a day sleeping for that 50 years. Thats a lot of time if your in a job you don't love. I know for many its not practical to move into their passion but if you have a chance, go for it.

If your going to do a job at least try base it around a passion of yours and success will naturally follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could try and bring them down from the inside do us all non psychopaths a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My advice would be to give the corporate jobs a go but with a plan of saving like fook for a year or 2 then head off to Asia or South America or wherever takes your fancy and coach football over there.

I am in Kuala Lumpur and a mate of mine from Estonia is getting paid to coach kids football. He isn't making millions but he can afford to live. He is also developing an ecommerce business to support himself.

Have you done any coaching badges? If not, while working get them done. Get involved in your local club and get experience.

If football is your passion maybe you can set up a business in it using your college skills?

I worked for about 20 years in jobs I hated to put a roof over my family's head and food on the table while harbouring a passion for writing. I am now writing, exploring Asia and couldn't be happier.

If you do enjoy the corporate world, have a get out plan for semi-retirement in your 40s to maybe follow dreams.

But by the same token, unless for family commitments, don't put your life on hold and work at something that makes you miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm aware this is After Hours which does open this discussion up to the more crass and flippant users on here ...
    After hours has numerous erudite and philosophical users. Not me of course, I live in the arenas of crassitude and flippantism.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you done the KickStart 1 & 2 yet? If not you should register to do them to start building up your points with the FAI.
    That's the first step of getting into management. You should have some sort of affiliation to a club to put it into practice as well, loads of clubs are always looking for coaches to get involved at the youth levels. This would also required Garda vetting with the FAI/club which can take a few months.

Buying a copy of Championship Manager is a lot easier.

You have a better attitude than I did at your age. I was mad keen to get into it and worked for a big European bank and did grand.

Two years later, I took voluntary redundancy and never looked back. Taught and am teaching English in Asia and now have my own education software company and signed my first big deal last week.

My point is that you can go to the Big Four and always be looking to develop skills elsewhere, be it in a different field or your own business. Definitely go and get the job, but treat it as a stable income while you find the thing you want to do.

It'd be foolish imo to imagine you know what you want to do before you enter that world for a bit. My desire to create systems came from that first job.

When you have income, you have choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ah look , it depends on what exactly you want to get out of life and where you want to be...some companies offer the opportunity to work in variety of roles and countries because their base is so large and that's appealing , others offer a solid grounding..settle down , house etc

I'm not sure what big 4 your referring to as Corporate could be classed as several different sectors depending on industry , financial etc I'll assume your talking about Amazon , Google , Linkedin and Facebook...I've worked for two of those 4 and they were completely different in terms of approach , benefits , travel and treatment of employee's ...one was poor , one was excellent.

It's not true that you cannot express individual expression and grow within all large companies ,they are not all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

The fact that it makes you want to blow your brains out... id pull pin, money isnt everything... that said its nice to have when you're going to the shop! ha Honestly tho that whole suit/corporate lifestyle from the outside looking in it looks like the most depressing,soul destroying work ive ever seen not for all the tea in china would i do it... that said,

The way i see it you ve 2 options..

Stick it out and be depressed off your face for the rest of your time.

Or

Stick it out for a little while make as much money as you can in it but be focusing on jumping ship to something you enjoy,

For me tho, being happy in what you do should be your number one priority money comes and goes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

To sum up. You're a anti capitalist and anti globalisation protester who wants to pursue a carer as a professional championship manager player (select Bayern Munich) the business and german will finally start paying off.

In true after hours fashion I suggest that you have a ****.

OP,

Lets start with the hard questions.

What is your score on Playstation FIFA Football Manager?

Fing about Arsenal is, they always try an' walk it in

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

The most important thing is to be a Plebeian with a strong agricultural focus. That's what I did. All this Big Four stuff is pure and utter nonsense.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Fing about Arsenal is, they always try an' walk it in

We iz fackin' changin' the manager you cant. We iz da fackin' arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Probably not going to rank my advice as I have no clue what Big 4 even means, but why not travel for a while and see some of the world first? It gets more difficult later on with steady relationships and possibly children. With your German you could do some online translation work to get some funding, or work voluntarily and move about that way. Just even for a year or two, even to take a rest. School then college, then straight into full on work seems like such a hectic life to me - maybe I'm lazy, but I reckon its important to have time out too. I know young people can feel so serious and responsible and in a hurry, but let loose for a while. Get to know the world, get to know other people, get to know yourself, get to know where you might like to direct your energy in life. As Witchie said you could always work at one of these Big 4, whatever they are, for a year or so, while saving hard to fund travel. Life passes surprisingly fast. Money and career are promoted as being central and yet life will teach most of us that's an illusion, that there are far more important things.

Best of luck.

Advertisement