Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lard

Options
  • 21-10-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Do any boards folks cook with lard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Reminds me of a night myself and a rotund pal were heading back to his flat on Tritonville Rd, having picked up a chipper in Ringsend.

Cue a lil' urchin from the flats chirping in with "Who have we got here, Laurel & Lardy?" as we sauntered by. Impressive wit & frame of reference from a street scrote, who couldn't have been more than 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's still used for baking and pastry in particular. It has a few health advantages over other fats; some being it is more heat stable, so doesn't oxidise and so has much fewer free radicals leading to cell damage and it's high in vitamin D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seen thread title.

Thought it related to my arse in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Not since I relocated over here.

- My grandmother used it alot though in her cooking when we were kids (she's 85 now, lard was more accessible than butter for her).

When on holidays, I would sometimes have lard on toast (+ other extras of course).

In future, beside baking, what I might be using it in my kitchen would be for pork confit (when the right time, as I'd need to recreate in Ireland some memories from my childhoods' foods one day).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cuslard and cream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Apparently has half the saturated fat of coconut oil ....

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/coconut-oil-has-more-saturated-fat-than-lard/

Dunnnes stores stocks lard afaik....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

mvl wrote: »

When on holidays, I would sometimes have lard on toast (+ other extras of course).

Thats possibly the most disgusting thing ive ever heard.

Snowflakes ....

During the 19th century lard was used similarly to butter in North America and many European nations. Lard remained about as popular as butter in the early 20th century, and was widely used as a substitute for butter during World War II.  Plus unhydrogenated lard contains no transfats.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I used lard yesterday to pan-brown stewing beef for a slow cooked beef casserole. It gives a great flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They need to rename it to something not Lard.

kneemos wrote: »
    They need to rename it to something not Lard.

To what? That's what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Fresh soda bread fried one side in lard with a lashing of salt is amazing. Terrible for you I'm sure but tastes amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It's not bad actually. Pork lard is popular in Eastern Europe - it's used instead of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    To what? That's what it is!

Off-putting though.

Lard...ugh.

that's ok, I can see where you are coming from. for example my idea of "disgusting" would be ... blood based recipes (i rarely have black pudding, and the idea of pig blood jelly does not sit well with me)

but i think all foodies could try give lard on toast a chance ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm trying to find a good quality lard. I've read that the cheaper ones are processed in an unhealthy way (I'll try to find a link later).

Any recommendations for a quality lard? Dripping also. I've yet to try it on toast.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Fresh soda bread fried one side in lard with a lashing of salt is amazing. Terrible for you I'm sure but tastes amazing.

According to wiki lard has less saturated fat, more unsaturated fat and less cholesterol than an equal amount of butter by weight. Go figure eh ...

I love butter though ...

BuboBubo wrote: »
    It's not bad actually. Pork lard is popular in Eastern Europe - it's used instead of butter.

As it was here for many years. And just for clarity; Lard by definition is Pig fat

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I use it when I run out of hair gel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a good quality lard. I've read that the cheaper ones are processed in an unhealthy way (I'll try to find a link later).

Any recommendations for a quality lard? Dripping also. I've yet to try it on toast.

James Whelan had excellent lard, shops in Clonmel, Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt, Dunnes Stores Swan Centre, Dunnes Stores Swords Pavillion, Avoca Rathcoole and Avoca Kilmacanogue

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6695

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

You could try a Polish shop/butcher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BuboBubo wrote: »
    You could try a Polish shop/butcher.

Thanks. I've seen jars of smalec, been meaning to try it.

I'm looking more for the type you can use as a cooking oil, an alternative to sunflower oil for high heat cooking.

kneemos wrote: »
    Off-putting though.

Lard...ugh.

Well if we're talking about "off-putting", try 'jellied eels'! There ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You've obviously never tasted 'Blue Band margarine.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Wasn't that stuff banned?

Quality lard depends on the pork breed. Article below mentions "slow-growing heritage breeds such as Mangalitza or Saddleback that are reared to at least a year to give them time to develop a good fat covering."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/praise-the-lard-pork-fat-and-its-gourmet-cousin-lardo-are-having-a-revival-8413474.html

I don't know where to find good quality lard here (as in my home country I am usually having home reared pigs lard - nothing industrial).
    - Would try to see any if italian brands might be worth getting online ...

Note: the eastern european shops here do have it - but fearing its same quality as a super market would be (I may be wrong here).

It makes the best pastry for mince pies. Can be hard to get. I get it in Whelans, Oakville SC, Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

gozunda wrote: »
    Wasn't that stuff banned?

I hope so. Had a 'favourite' aunt who used to plaster it on bread anytime we went over for a visit. Just the thought of her sandwiches now is turning my stomach.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

I was brung up on the stuff! Think it affected my speech to be honest!

Advertisement