Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National slow down day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pity they don’t target cyclists breaking red lights, which forces motorists to swerve to avoid them. 💣

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Pity they don’t target cyclists breaking red lights, which forces motorists to swerve to avoid them. 💣

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Dopes, that's where they're going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Move the cash vans from the motorway to beside schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

As a general rule a 1% reduction in average speed will bring about a 4% reduction in fatal collisions, and this is why reducing motorists’ speed is essential to improving road safety.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2018/october/national-slow-down-day-19th-to-20th-october-2018.html

Result of crashes at different speeds:

car.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Rechuchote wrote: »
    As a general rule a 1% reduction in average speed will bring about a 4% reduction in fatal collisions, and this is why reducing motorists’ speed is essential to improving road safety.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2018/october/national-slow-down-day-19th-to-20th-october-2018.html

car.png
    Why do the black people survive, and why do the communists get done?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

And why are they all standing on the road when a car is approaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

And why are they all standing on the road when a car is approaching?

Dole queue?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Zzzzzoooooommmmmm

Nnnnyyyeeeerrrrrraaaaaauuuummmm

Nnnnuuuuuummmmm

Beep beep

Outta my way, benders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was going to go for a run, but I'll just go for a stroll instead. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I won't be doing much travelling myself today, I doubt I'll break any limits on the Massey anyway.
    I live between the N3 and N4, the Ms didn't get as far as us yet, they are always mad on a Friday afternoon, you'd be blown away with the speed of yokes on there, mind yerselves today, be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why can't people be taught a little bit of personal responsibility.

I drive for a living and to be honest the amount of lives I save every day by reading the road ahead and knowing that gobsh1te ahead is going to step out, look at you and run out, cycle up the inside when turning etc etc etc....

There is more to deaths then just speeding and what I see being allowed go on is shocking and even in front of guards and they keep on going.

I reported a delivery van driver recently for overtaking 3 buses on George's St while driving in the far 3rd lane the wrong way while speeding through a red light which pedestrians had a green and only for me beeping they more then likely would have been knocked down.

The guard eventually got back and said look there isn't much I can do it's your word against his and yet I had CCTV footage but anyway look if you can get away with that in a major city then we are all fcuked.

It had Ready chef all over advertisement and I've come across a few of them and their driving standards are shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

^^^^^^^

What he said, they should have 'don't drive like a bloody bellend days' instead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really was not aware until the internet was invented that cyclists are responsible for all traffic accidents and deaths and cars and their drivers have never caused any. Amazing.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really was not aware until the internet was invented that cyclists are responsible for all traffic accidents and deaths and cars and their drivers have never caused any. Amazing.

Come off it they did not say that.

They and motorists alike need to cop on so it's across the board.

Obide by the rules that are set out to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Rechuchote wrote: »

car.png

Yea well thats what happens when people stand in the middle of the road,, what the hell do they expect:P

Come off it they did not say that.

They and motorists alike need to cop on so it's across the board.

Obide by the rules that are set out to save lives.

The point is that this is a thread about cars slowing down and somebody unnecessarily brings cyclists into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

wexie wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

What he said, they should have 'don't drive like a bloody bellend days' instead

If that happens there won’t be a bmw nor an Audi let out on the road that day.the switch for the indicators in them cars must be in the fukn boot I’m convinced.not a one of them will use them

The point is that this is a thread about cars slowing down and somebody unnecessarily brings cyclists into it.

But it isn't just about cars.

Cyclists can speed too....

Look at all the ones going around with engines strapped to their mountain bikes.

What the poster was stating it's not just speed which is very true.

If more laws were enforced then less things would go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Look at all the ones going around with engines strapped to their mountain bikes.

is that e bikes you're seeing??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

The point of this thread is road safety and it's everyones responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Personally I think that having a marksman at different junctions each day who will take out any cyclist, motorist, pedestrian breaking the law would have an amazing effect on figures.
    They need to be lucky once.
    "Are you feeling lucky punk?"

fryup wrote: »
    is that e bikes you're seeing??

Eh no..... Mountain bikes with 2stroke noisey engines.

Good few motoring around the city.

These are 80cc by the way so are ilegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Fun fact, speed limits don't apply to cyclists even the e-bikes are exempt. But the engine cuts out at 25 km/h on those anyway. Do we have a speed limit lower than 25?

Those bikes with a retro fitted petrol engine are all kinds of illegal and shouldn't be on the road at all, regardless of their speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good god, a thread about motorists being stopped for speeding and it turns into one about cyclists. wonders never cease.

anyway, back on topic. back in the day i used to have to drive around the country a lot, before most of the motorway network was in place. i learned quickly enough that by far the biggest determinant of how long your journey took was not how fast you went in the fast bits, but how slow you go on the slow bits. and unless you're driving on a motorway, going fast is more mentally tiring too.

Don't forget said cyclists ploughing into a group of pedestrians (who have the shock, horror, temerity to stand on the pavement) while looking in the complete opposite direction to shake their fist at the motorist in order to scream "maniac, I'm calling the guards!" at them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

The black lads are smarter, always stand behind other people if a car is coming at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

amcalester wrote: »
    Fun fact, speed limits don't apply to cyclists even the e-bikes are exempt. But the engine cuts out at 25 km/h on those anyway. Do we have a speed limit lower than 25?

Those bikes with a retro fitted petrol engine are all kinds of illegal and shouldn't be on the road at all, regardless of their speed.

That isn't quite true about ebikes. There are a lot of them sold that require a licence and insurance as they are not capped at 25kph. Some are not designed to adhere to EU regs st all by having throttles and not requiring peddling and others have been modified.

The gardai don't know the models enough to spot the illegal ones but it is a matter of time before there is an accident and a public outcry.

Even with the motor stopping you can still cycle faster. Hit 50kph regularly cycling. Cycling along 30kph limit along the quays is a complete joke as cars are all speeding well over the limit

• Advertisement

I would not call a mountain bike with an engine on it a normal cyclist.

Also a speeding cyclist is not as dangerous as a speeding car and it's the cyclist taking the bigger risk.

Cyclist always comes off worst in a collision with a car.

National Slow Down Day is a Garda initiative aimed solely at motorists.

As shown in link below.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/national-slow-down%E2%80%9D-day-19th-%E2%80%93-20th-october-2018.html

Advertisement