Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's single?

Options
  • 13-10-2018 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I don't live in Ireland anymore, but returned recently for a spate of weddings, one friend got engaged while I was there, and I noticed that I got asked approximately 531 times why I was single, or if I had a fella yet, or if "I'd be next" *wink wink*

I don't think I've ever had that many questions or that much curiosity about my love life in such a short time period, I live abroad and while a lot of people are married or coupled up, there's a strong percentage of single/divorced/not arsed dating folks in pretty much all walks of life over here too.

I'm 33, female and a total ride, obviously. I broke up with a long-term ex about a year ago and am far too fragile to consider new relationships just yet...but all the same, harbour notions about returning home in a year or two and finding some miraculously gorgeous Irish man who was equally unlucky in the love stakes (until I walk in, obv)

So general essay about my life story aside - are you single? And what age are you? And if so, why?

ETA: how does one add a poll around here?

I am... 382 votes

Married
    16% 63 votes
    Long-term coupled up
    37% 142 votes
    In something new
    33% 127 votes
    It's complicated
    7% 28 votes
    Totes single omg lol
    5% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, you're single and want to hop on a poll?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

YAY FOR PENIS JOKES!!!!!!!!!1!!

Figured out the poll in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dear men,

stop taking the most fertile years of a woman's life and then dumping them in their mid thirties.

regards
    the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Figured out the poll in any case.

Congrats on the baby step. Now just figure out your life.

• Advertisement

dear men,

stop taking the most fertile years of a woman's life and then dumping them in their mid thirties.

regards
    the future

I did the dumping actually, and I'm still in my early 30s.
    Thanks for the concern though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Cat lyfe 4 u bbz.

Congrats on the baby step. Now just figure out your life.

That seems quite nasty.
    Is it really necessary?

OP..... thank you for this post. I am incredibly fond of a lady who is just out of a relationship and your fragile comment has helped me appreciate things from her viewpoint....

....anyway, if you're happy ish currently your relationship status is much like today's weather...largely out if your control and there's always better days ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Does making individual posters' poll options hidden not defeat the point of the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Augeo wrote: »
    OP..... thank you for this post. I am incredibly fond of a lady who is just out of a relationship and your fragile comment has helped me appreciate things from her viewpoint....

....anyway, if you're happy ish currently your relationship status is much like today's weather...largely out if your control and there's always better days ahead :)

You haven't a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nothing worse than hooking up with a bird just out of a relationship with a black lad.

You wont even touch the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I don't live in Ireland anymore, but returned recently for a spate of weddings, one friend got engaged while I was there, and I noticed that I got asked approximately 531 times why I was single, or if I had a fella yet, or if "I'd be next" *wink wink*

I don't think I've ever had that many questions or that much curiosity about my love life in such a short time period

Thats because you were at a hape of weddings. Weddings are the realm of the interfering nosey $hithead. It's open season for those twats at them cursed things to be nose'n, interfering and thinking they can look down at everybody else because for over 10 hours you are literally trapped in the same venue with this sort of total $hithead.
    Weddngs can f**k off

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There isn't a 'none of the above' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Single, got broke up with a year ago after a traumatising holiday - I'd say she wanted to leave beforehand but figured upping the levels of stress on a fortnight-long holiday I'd pissed a few grand away on would be preferable.
    Very glad we broke up as it was something I'd been thinking of for the previous two years ("...maybe things will get better...") but was fairly astonished at the level of disrespect when she didn't get in contact on hearing of my father's death in the meantime - when we broke up she was very "We'll be friends forever, we just need time to heal!".
    No contact around dad's death = I don't think of you as human any more. I hope she gets a serious dose of the scour, never feels relief from the lethargy of her hypothyroidism & I hope her anxiety and depression continue to spiral out of control until something awful happens.

Yes, I hold grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm working with people around my age who are grandparents! Every time I come back to work I get asked if I'm married yet. Having to head back for multiple weddings this year as well (why can't they just hold them all on the one date in one mass wedding orgy) so getting it on both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I’m a 39 year old woman, happily single. Have an FB meaning I get my (ahem) needs met but don’t have any hassle. I have no interest in a committed relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I'm 32 and never had a girlfriend and never....

Well we wont go into too much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m a 39 year old woman, happily single. Have an FB meaning I get my (ahem) needs met but don’t have any hassle. I have no interest in a committed relationship.

Fit bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Baba O'Riley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

35 and willingly single for the last 4 or 5 years. Watching other people my age mad to get married and have kids, and when that happens I take glee in their tired faces, because that's a situation they put themselves in. The idea of getting married, having kids and a mortgage is now hell to me. I dislike children (used to say hate, but apparently that's too strong a word when it comes to kids). It's not even kids i don't like, it's babies, and toddlers. Once they can tell you why they're crying, that starts me thinking maybe I'm missing out, but then I remind myself of babies and toddlers and that thought is immediately replaced with 'joyous single life!'.

Thankfully, the age for having kids and getting married is rising, so that at least people are starting to realise that enjoying your 20s before confirming to societal expectations is the way to go. Plus, lots more people these days totally against the idea of family life.

What I would be interested in now is a part-time relationship. I think spending too much time together is what kills relationships, certainly killed my last one (7 years, 6 spent living apart, 1 together...). Granted, you'll always have those weirdos who genuinely love to spend every waking second together, but they're few and far between imo. I don't know if I'll ever find what I want, but I'd love a relationship where you spend no more than 3 days a week together, live apart, have your own life with your own circle of friends, doing things with them that the two of you don't enjoy together (ie: I hate concerts, especially the mainstream crap that most people like, so she could head off with her friends to that, I'll do my thing), and then spending the few days together each week doing what you like to do together!

Plus, I'm a gamer, and even though more and more women are starting to embrace this, very few around my age do, and people still call me a child because of it (and the fact that i'm currently addicted to Anime). I get looked down on because of this, and I really don't care anymore, because I can remind myself that I'm enjoying living these lives in worlds they will never experience while they sit at home and watch brain rot and eye cancer (soaps, reality tv, etc).

I reckon I'll die a bachelor, but right now, i'm 100% ok with that, because the added stress of a relationship is something I can do without right now. Also, considering I have 4 siblings all with kids, 2 (possibly 3) of which would not have them again if they could start over (they love them, etc, etc). My best friend caved to his missus after 9 years (5 married) to having kids, even though when they got married neither of them ever wanted them, but she got broody when her sister had a kid. I can see the stress it's causing him, and it's partly his own fault for caving, but a hard situation to be in. He's a fantastic father, and loves his kids wholeheartedly, but if he could go back, he would have divorced her before having them again.

People still think that the family life with a mortgage, kids and pets is the done thing. People need to stop following what everyone else is doing and live their own life. But, unless you conform to the societal expectations, expect all this mollix of 'When you getting married?', 'when you having kids?', etc. Even my own parents are starting to see the method to my madness, and nearly agree with me. I'm currently living with them, as it suits both them and me, and I can give back to them in their golden years what they gave me when I was young. People look down on that too for some reason.

OP, giz a shout when you're looking, maybe we can come to some agreement. I'm obviously a stunner myself too, so you'd never know what could work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Yeah I think this is the way I'm going to go, just out of a relationship that put me through the ringer.

Just to get some dick every now and again and not have to listen to some fella nagging at me , wanting to know where I am and who I'm with, yet cant return the courtesy to let me know what hes up to, commenting on my weight and clothes, staring at every single womans arse that comes within a mile radius of him. Fook off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

dear men,

regards
    the future

- this made me smile; but guess it can be heart-breaking when dumping is done with no child support, or before the planned wedding is due :)

btw: poll might be missing few non-conventional statuses (e.g. where ppl are involved with more than one individual) - or does that go under "in something new"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Yeah I think this is the way I'm going to go, just out of a relationship that put me through the ringer.

Just to get some dick every now and again and not have to listen to some fella nagging at me , wanting to know where I am and who I'm with, yet cant return the courtesy to let me know what hes up to, commenting on my weight and clothes, staring at every single womans arse that comes within a mile radius of him. Fook off.

You ever stare at another mans arse or whatever during a relationship, not even once??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

I understood this as FaceBook account :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I understood this as FaceBook account :D:D

Well it could, i got the ride from a random friend request one time :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

ETA?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

35 and willingly single for the last 4 or 5 years. Watching other people my age mad to get married and have kids, and when that happens I take glee in their tired faces, because that's a situation they put themselves in. The idea of getting married, having kids and a mortgage is now hell to me. I dislike children (used to say hate, but apparently that's too strong a word when it comes to kids). It's not even kids i don't like, it's babies, and toddlers. Once they can tell you why they're crying, that starts me thinking maybe I'm missing out, but then I remind myself of babies and toddlers and that thought is immediately replaced with 'joyous single life!'.

Thankfully, the age for having kids and getting married is rising, so that at least people are starting to realise that enjoying your 20s before confirming to societal expectations is the way to go. Plus, lots more people these days totally against the idea of family life.  

What I would be interested in now is a part-time relationship. I think spending too much time together is what kills relationships, certainly killed my last one (7 years, 6 spent living apart, 1 together...). Granted, you'll always have those weirdos who genuinely love to spend every waking second together, but they're few and far between imo. I don't know if I'll ever find what I want, but I'd love a relationship where you spend no more than 3 days a week together, live apart, have your own life with your own circle of friends, doing things with them that the two of you don't enjoy together (ie: I hate concerts, especially the mainstream crap that most people like, so she could head off with her friends to that, I'll do my thing), and then spending the few days together each week doing what you like to do together!

Plus, I'm a gamer, and even though more and more women are starting to embrace this, very few around my age do, and people still call me a child because of it (and the fact that i'm currently addicted to Anime). I get looked down on because of this, and I really don't care anymore, because I can remind myself that I'm enjoying living these lives in worlds they will never experience while they sit at home and watch brain rot and eye cancer (soaps, reality tv, etc).

I reckon I'll die a bachelor, but right now, i'm 100% ok with that, because the added stress of a relationship is something I can do without right now. Also, considering I have 4 siblings all with kids, 2 (possibly 3) of which would not have them again if they could start over (they love them, etc, etc). My best friend caved to his missus after 9 years (5 married) to having kids, even though when they got married neither of them ever wanted them, but she got broody when her sister had a kid. I can see the stress it's causing him, and it's partly his own fault for caving, but a hard situation to be in. He's a fantastic father, and loves his kids wholeheartedly, but if he could go back, he would have divorced her before having them again.

People still think that the family life with a mortgage, kids and pets is the done thing. People need to stop following what everyone else is doing and live their own life. But, unless you conform to the societal expectations, expect all this mollix of 'When you getting married?', 'when you having kids?', etc. Even my own parents are starting to see the method to my madness, and nearly agree with me. I'm currently living with them, as it suits both them and me, and I can give back to them in their golden years what they gave me when I was young. People look down on that too for some reason.

OP, giz a shout when you're looking, maybe we can come to some agreement. I'm obviously a stunner myself too, so you'd never know what could work! :D
    Cutie 3.14 wrote: »

LOL ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Totally single, silver fox with a beard and tattoos...

Used to be clean cut and last year I went rugged...

I'm one of those guy's at the opposite end of the scale, determined to be single for the foreseeable future but have the odd fling.

No problems getting dates etc,but waiting until my son's finished studies until I decide to go looking for a lifetime partner.

He's my priority for now, down around a hundred euros a week, paying his maintenance and giving him pocket money for the gym and his social life.

Paying my bills and mortgage is my priority, he's nearly 18, so I'm quite content single....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

How common is it do you think to still be a virgin in your 30s in Ireland?

Given that people waiting longer to get married, have children etc and even a recent study in the UK shows a record number of under 25's are non drinkers. So its a 'safer' generation.

Advertisement