Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emma Mhic Mhathúna RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Should have said this in my previous post. She was an incredibly courageous woman and hopefully will be remembered for it for decades to come. That interview on morning ireland was jaw dropping and incredibly difficult listening at time, can't imagine how it was for her..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I only heard this sad news on Nuacht earlier. I'm really gutted for her family that her kids are now going through the rest of their life without their mother by her side. She is a hero for us all who live in this country. Her bravery & honesty throughout her campaign to get improvements for cervical cancer services in this country will never be forgotten. R.I.P. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Very sorry to hear this and my condolences to her family and friends.

Despite very harrowing and tragic circumstances, she took on the powers that be to better the lives of others in similar circumstances and I think that's something that she and her loved ones can be immensely proud of. She made an enormous difference to the lives of other women impacted by this and also shone a huge light on the structures that brought it about and has hopefully created a lot more transparency.

I know that's no consolation to the loss of a your mom, wife, daughter, sister or friend, but her legacy is enormous and has I think she will always be remembered for the extremely intelligent, powerful and dignified way she handled this.

RIP to a really great Irishwoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Horrible news!

No need for this to happen :(

Condolences to her family and those poor kids.

May she rest in peace.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really feel for the other women who have been given similar devastating diagnoses. It must be terrifying for them to see their sister in arms gone so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Putinbot wrote: »
    This is a very hard listen. Be warned there will be tears. Emma's interview on Morning Ireland about 5 months ago.

https://soundcloud.com/morning-ireland/this-isnt-fair-woman-speaks-after-terminal-cancer-diagnosis

I remember it almost word for word, I can't listen again. Sorry.

I've never seen or heard sadness like that of Emma's voice during her interviews or the look on her face when she spoke.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rest in Peace Emma.

Very brave woman and her untimely and tragic death was not in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,905 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just incredibly sad. A brave and outstanding human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This poor woman. And her children. RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a very hard listen. Be warned there will be tears. Emma's interview on Morning Ireland about 5 months ago.

https://soundcloud.com/morning-ireland/this-isnt-fair-woman-speaks-after-terminal-cancer-diagnosis

I heard that interview live that morning and was crying myself by the end of it.
    Most heartfelt piece I've personally ever heard on the radio.

The end of it when both Emma and the interviewer were in tears and couldn't speak is haunting. I'll never forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

she was a brave lady and fought hard for her children

I send my condolences to the family and hope that her children grow up knowing she fought for them to the bitter end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I don't think she looks sad in the OP photo. I think she looks valiant and full of resolve. I'd love to know when some government heads are going to roll. We have lost a great Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

I heard that interview live that morning and was crying myself by the end of it.
    Most heartfelt piece I've personally ever heard on the radio.

The end of it when both Emma and the interviewer were in tears and couldn't speak is haunting. I'll never forget it.

Agreed. I had to pull over and call my husband i was so upset. Condolences to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Heart breaking....this should never have happen.
    RIP xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

“The 2013 smear said that I was healthy when I wasn't. And because of that then, I developed cancer. I'm dying while I don't need to die. My children are going to be here without me, and I'm going to be without them. I tried to do everything right by breastfeeding and being a full time mum and sacrificing my own life for them, and now I'm going to miss out. I don't even know if my little baby is going to remember me."

Just so horrendously sad. You think you’re doing everything right in life, only to have something as unjust as this happen to you so unnecessarily. The fact she leaves behind a little two year old breaks my heart. Brave lady. RIP.

My mother died of breast cancer at 39 when I had just turned 2, I don't have any memory of her sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Our thoughts and prayers are with her kids and family on this dark day for them.

2018 is a dark year in health but Emma along with others will stand out for many years as a bright shining light that we as the people of Ireland need to heed so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

May be of little comfort now but her young ones one day will see what a brave brave mother they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

R.I.P. to beautiful Emma and condolences to her family and friends.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Rest in peace Emma....condolences to family and friends.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h'anam

• Registered Users Posts: 85,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    RIP Emma.
    Sickening to hear the empty words from certain politicians at the sad news.

Simon and Leo should hang their heads in shame and resign :mad:

RIP a brave woman taken way too soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Cancer is a bastard of an illness.
    It's always tragic when someone so young, with so much life to live passes on.

I had hoped she'd get a lot more time especially given that she was so tied up in legal and other struggles. She deserved more time away from the spotlight and with her family.

Very very tough on her young family.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Not all Hero’s wear capes.. She was a credit to the people of Ireland, may she rest in peace, my heartfelt sympathies to Emma’s Family x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I posted earlier I wasn't going to listen.

What I didn't say was 'while I have company'.. My daughter is gone to bed, now I listened & 'sweet Jesus that's hard listening.

Very, very hard listening.

So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Im in the US at moment so first ive heard of it. Feel quite sad. May god be good to her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

A day we knew was coming. Doesn't make it any less shocking. So young. Rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Simon and Leo should hang their heads in shame and resign :mad:

RIP a brave woman taken way too soon

I would say Grainne Flannelly should be ashamed more than Simon and Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I hope she's remembered post homous at The People of the Year Awards.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change"

This quote from the serenity prayer sums up Emma in a nutshell.
    How many of us could claim to have this courage?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

No politicians should be allowed near her funeral.

Advertisement