Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout city

Options
  • 30-09-2018 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Why are there so many roundabouts in Portlaoise?

I have actually gotten dizzy driving through the town

What is the deal with Laois CC? Why are they so obsessed with building more roundabouts?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Waterford C.C. is equally as bad. I reckon it’s inbred people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Ennis, too, is just a series of roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I read the thread tittle I said to myself that sounds like Portlaoise but Portlaoise is a town!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Perhaps there are more roundabouts than people :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I managed to pass my driving test there, despite all the roundabouts and their close proximity to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I managed to pass my driving test there, despite all the roundabouts and their close proximity to each other.

I often said it to myself if you were good with roundabouts Portlaoise would be a great town to do a driving test in.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Galway.

14 Tribes. 14 roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I like roundabouts. Just hate the crap drivers that use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Galway.

And 14 different sets of rules!!! Headford road roundabout from the terryland side, left hand lane making a right turn. Very scary when you are not used to it.

Seamus Quirke roundabout either lane for any exit from all sides......wtf????

Galway, great city

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jimmy. wrote: »

That bloody ring road. You feel like you're driving coast to coast Ireland, it's so long and you don't get an opportunity to put the foot down for too long because it's an endless series of roundabouts.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is Portlaoise a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ronin247 wrote: »
    And 14 different sets of rules!!! Headford road roundabout from the terryland side, left hand lane making a right turn. Very scary when you are not used to it.

Seamus Quirke roundabout either lane for any exit from all sides......wtf????

Galway, great city

shudders! Brings back memories of my times in Galway. Used to dread it and a huge sigh of relief when I successfully headed towards Headford... Said a joyful goodbye.. great shops but..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jimmy. wrote: »

Yeah, Waterford is full of roundabouts. Some of them are very badly designed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Roundabouts are great, why would you want the alternative traffic control of lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Is Portlaoise a city?

Probably in the same way Kilkenny is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Basingstoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There seem to be lots of roundabouts in every county town. Roscommon town is much much smaller than Galway or Waterford and only 1/3 the size of Portlaoise with no motorway or dual carriageway close by and there are seven roundabouts in the town

Seven? Pah - go to Clonmel, the ring road there is terrible, narrow, winding and every roundabout bar one (if I remember) is tight. The alternative would be even slower to navigate of course but it is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon in England is infamous...five small roundabouts within one big one.

e4f1fc1f25b0b67060fb30615bbcd2fc52e4a4bb.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^

That's as nothing compared to Walkinstown Roundabout

1KS9og2.jpg

Also
    Milton Keynes has 130 roundabouts but the number is growing all the time :eek:

• Advertisement

Milton Keynes was of course designed as a grid but one that would not rely on traffic light junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

^^^^

That's as nothing compared to Walkinstown Roundabout

1KS9og2.jpg

Also
    Milton Keynes has 130 roundabouts but the number is growing all the time :eek:

The funny thing is that the walkinstown roundabout rarely has an accident

I think the Portlaoise roundabouts work well - it's as much a traffic calming measure as a traffic flow measure. Alternative would be speed ramps and traffic lights

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That's because culchies and other poor drivers are terrifed of it

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Galway.

Galway ( County anyway) is big into one way streets in towns which don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon in England is infamous...five small roundabouts within one big one.

e4f1fc1f25b0b67060fb30615bbcd2fc52e4a4bb.jpg
    What's more, cars must go in opposite directions on the inner and outer roundabouts... very confusing for the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That ring road around Waterford is absolutely horrific. You can barely get the car above 3rd gear for about 20 minutes with all the effing roundabouts.

CeilingFly wrote: »

I think the Portlaoise roundabouts work well - it's as much a traffic calming measure as a traffic flow measure. Alternative would be speed ramps and traffic lights
    +1
    Those roundabouts work quite well, just imagine the length of the queues in each and every direction if they used traffic lights! All you need to do is look at Athlone, traffic lights everywhere and long queues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

All the inbreeding has produced a rake of red-green colour-blindness, making traffic lights less effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Roundabouts are a God-send instead of T junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

^^^^

That's as nothing compared to Walkinstown Roundabout...

The "Magic Roundabout" is a central roundabout with 5 satellite roundabouts where you move in opposite directions on the inner and outer roundabouts, whereas the Walkinstown one is busy but pretty standard. I've driven both and the Magic Roundabout was a lot more difficult.

Advertisement