Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Nice pics, but ‘thousands’?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Nice pics, but ‘thousands’?

The Gardaí called it about 3,000. Tuam Herald quoted 2,000. RTE and TG4 "several thousand" and they were there. It wasn't an event where everyone was in one place at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sure there were 3,000 - looked more like 300. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You'll be delighted to hear that there was a pro-rail counter protest. Seriously. No disputing the attendance - it was one. Poor lad had placard with " No to Greenway. Canney Out". Got his wires crossed. It wasn't you Del. Was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I was there with many of my neighbors and friends and the numbers represented a very sizable proportion of the town of Tuam and surrounding areas - we are fed up of politicians thinking they know what's good for us. I would be very nervous if I was a local councilor voting 'No' tomorrow. Why are they so afraid of a feasibility study?

Numbers were substantially more than attended the 'Extend the WRC' rally anyhow. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I was there with many of my neighbors and friends and the numbers represented a very sizable proportion of the town of Tuam and surrounding areas - we are fed up of politicians thinking they know what's good for us. I would be very nervous if I was a local councilor voting 'No' tomorrow. Why are so afraid of a feasibility study?

Numbers were substantially more than attended the 'Extend the WRC' rally anyhow. Oh wait...

MFS didnt meet up couldnt find you in the crowd, it was an amazing day dont you know why they are afraid its because the western rail corridor "is not up for discussion"

Dont you just love the sour grapes! lets stick to the RTE figure
    What was it "Thousands attend rally in support of Galway greenway" cos guess what that is what is going down in the record books that is what the media are reporting and that is what is going to be written in history, now of course the vote may be lost tomorrow in truth that is not the issue what is the issue is that this rally sent the message - the greenway movement put thousands on the street, we are not going away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

westtip wrote: »
    MFS didnt meet up couldnt find you in the crowd, it was an amazing day dont you know why they are afraid its because the western rail corridor "is not up for discussion"

Dont you just love the sour grapes! lets stick to the RTE figure
    What was it "Thousands attend rally in support of Galway greenway" cos guess what that is what is going down in the record books that is what the media are reporting and that is what is going to be written in history, now of course the vote may be lost tomorrow in truth that is not the issue what is the issue is that this rally sent the message - the greenway movement put thousands on the street, we are not going away!

It may take a bigger crowd before a few councillors get it into their heads that the vast majority don't believe the railway nonsense and want a greenway for the next few decades while we wait for the population to double and the electric vehicle trend to fail.
    We're talking about a number of dyed in the wool local politicians here, not exactly deep thinkers. Never underestimate the power of thick.

Maybe you should write an angry letter to Galway Bay FM, TG4, RTE and any other media output that fails to agree with you, history will say thousands, thousands who went will say thousands, it is now posted up on You Tube for history to watch and listen to! don't you just love the truth from the media.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/thousands-attend-tuam-rally-in-support-of-greenway/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbsZ4bHI7tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HYPNRAjwA&t=45s

• Advertisement

Maybe you should write an angry letter to Galway Bay FM, TG4, RTE and any other media output that fails to agree with you, history will say thousands, thousands who went will say thousands, it is now posted up on You Tube for history to watch and listen to! don't you just love the truth from the media.

In fact, if you add in the number of people who commute from Athenry to Galway, there were probably a million people in Tuam yesterday.

Del Monte you can midwest to your mailing list for angry letter about 3000

http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/26416-thousands-turn-out-in-tuam-yesterday-campaigning-for-a-greenway-from-athenry-to-milltown

I'm not even mildly annoyed at this stage. I've had plenty of trips on the Athenry/Claremorris section, including a run over most of the Beet factory lines,
    plus an inspection car trip from Collooney/Claremorris and my train spotters notebook has all the ticks that it needs. Roll on the Velorail to Londonderry. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm not even mildly annoyed at this stage. I've had plenty of trips on the Athenry/Claremorris section, including a run over most of the Beet factory lines,
    plus an inspection car trip from Collooney/Claremorris and my train spotters notebook has all the ticks that it needs. Roll on the Velorail to Londonderry. :D
    Careful with the 'London' bit, comrade. Don't you know that the whole western rail corridor arose from the relocation of 'republicans' from DERRY to Ennis during the early stages of the troubles? Somebody apparently decided that it would be great if they could get a train home to their mammies without having to go through Belfast, and so the seed was sown.

Do they still have that little yellow car? It would be ideal on the Ennis Athenry line, instead of hauling all those empty carriages around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

eastwest wrote: »
    Do they still have that little yellow car? It would be ideal on the Ennis Athenry line, instead of hauling all those empty carriages around the country.

I hear Pravda have gone downhill since the good old days.

The greenway movement was well outflanked by sinn fein/west on track in the Galway Council chamber today. A motion to carry out a feasibility study on the Athenry Milltown section of the WRT was passed by a substantial vote but immediately scuppered by another motion calling for the study to effectively examine the feasibility of running a greenway to every door in Galway! The second motion was passed, effectively negating the first. The consequent delay will.effectively delay matters for long enough to exclude Galway from available funding under the national greenway strategy, which was probably the whole point of the exercise.
    There's now no doubt that WOT is no longer about trains, they're about stopping any information gathering on alternative or interim uses of closed lines.
    It's no wonder the west needs saving!

Every time they pull a stroke the support for the greenway gets bigger, louder and angrier.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a delaying action is only that, a delay. It nevers stops the inevitable.

A day or two to recuperate and the next step is to focus on the elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

eastwest wrote: »

the empty carriges that aren't empty? there is no ennis athenry only service but a limeric-galway service, and limerick-ennis service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the representatives of the west spent time seeking realistic useful investment it would be great for the region

The amount of politicians who believe that the economic solution for the west of Ireland is an electrified rail link from Sligo to Waterford via Limerick to haul freight trains is ridiculous. Added to the fact that the blame the lack of the above as the reason the west is struggling

marno21 wrote: »
    If the representatives of the west spent time seeking realistic useful investment it would be great for the region

The amount of politicians who believe that the economic solution for the west of Ireland is an electrified rail link from Sligo to Waterford via Limerick to haul freight trains is ridiculous. Added to the fact that the blame the lack of the above as the reason the west is struggling
    As I said yesterday, never underestimate the power of thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

the empty carriges that aren't empty? there is no ennis athenry only service but a limeric-galway service, and limerick-ennis service.

Some spin there.:eek: The trains are empty between Ennis-Athenry-Ennis. I've been on it so many times and felt so angry. There's heavily discounted fares and free car parks, while the rest of us pay top dollar fares and car park charges. The WRC is subsidized to the hilt right down to the basics of getting there. The WRC passenger numbers are fiddled. It was and still is the deathknell of future rail development in Ireland. Your posts are literally drivel. Now before you hit the report post button, please try and remember that I've attacked your posts and not you.:eek:

As for the silly and petty carry on re the Greenway Vs railway, the railway side look like a right bunch of thick idiots with no comprehension of doing anything remotely good for the region.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some spin there.:eek: The trains are empty between Ennis-Athenry-Ennis. I've been on it so many times and felt so angry. There's heavily discounted fares and free car parks, while the rest of us pay top dollar fares and car park charges. The WRC is subsidized to the hilt right down to the basics of getting there. The WRC passenger numbers are fiddled. It was and still is the deathknell of future rail development in Ireland. Your posts are literally drivel. Now before you hit the report post button, please try and remember that I've attacked your posts and not you.:eek:

As for the silly and petty carry on re the Greenway Vs railway, the railway side look like a right bunch of thick idiots with no comprehension of doing anything remotely good for the region.
    And don't forget the other hidden subsidies, the 'free' travel tickets paid for by the Department of social protection, and the one million euro spent annually on bus transfers when the line floods -- one sixth of all replacement bus spending in the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some spin there. The trains are empty between Ennis-Athenry-Ennis. I've been on it so many times and felt so angry. There's heavily discounted fares and free car parks, while the rest of us pay top dollar fares and car park charges. The WRC is subsidized to the hilt right down to the basics of getting there. The WRC passenger numbers are fiddled. It was and still is the deathknell of future rail development in Ireland.

more accurately it's only used as an excuse to not do something many politicians never wanted to do anyway. develop rail. if it wasn't the wrc it would have been something else.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

more accurately it's only used as an excuse to not do something many politicians never wanted to do anyway. develop rail. if it wasn't the wrc it would have been something else.

In terms of the current rail network, Where? The WRC is a blatant example of politicians developing the rail network in a very poor manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

but the Galway to Athenry is also part of the Dublin service . I suspect those passengers have been claimed for the WRC , and some of them will only do Athenry to Galway and return and were doing before the line re-opened.

marno21 wrote: »

Well, the lack of a rail service can't be benefiting the region either. Places like Tuam are off my list of places to visit just the same as vast swathes of the north-west. I can't remember the last time that I was in places like Cavan, Monaghan, Clones, Enniskillen etc....

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    but the Galway to Athenry is also part of the Dublin service . I suspect those passengers have been claimed for the WRC , and some of them will only do Athenry to Galway and return and were doing before the line re-opened.
    The vast majority of the figures quoted by WOT relate to passenger numbers on Ennis-Limerick and Athenry-Galway, lines that were there before the boom-era government threw a pile of money at the bit in the middle, a bit that so far has hit just 50% of it's promised numbers. Specifically, 130,000 against a promised 250,000.

Advertisement