Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

By god i'll fight ya, saying shíte like that...

Bring it on! Seriously though,someone recommended it too me and honestly it's powerful stuff.
    I must get some of your Kanturk stuff to compare, but it would want to be mighty stuff to beat Kelly's black pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

If it was just Rashers (wtf is bacon?) 2 fried eggs and hash brown Im happy. Nice sausages to finish it but not critical

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Try_harder wrote: »
    If it was just Rashers (wtf is bacon?) 2 fried eggs and hash brown Im happy. Nice sausages to finish it but not critical

So you're not really into fry's then....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

limnam wrote: »

He's from the 80s . Don't be confusing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

limnam wrote: »

Ive added pudding to finish it properly but it can give me heartburn. Eggs and Rashers never do! Toasted brown bread and tea to go with it.

I eat a variation thereof most mornings

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »
    Ive added pudding to fish it properly but it can give me heartburn. Eggs and Rashers never do! Toasted brown bread and tea to go with it.

I eat a variation thereof most mornings

My dad used to make dinner somedays and often produced beans and peas on the same plate. Often beside each other where the sauce from the beans would cover the peas.
    Beans, spuds, sausages and gravy was another one. Beans and gravy isn't very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For those saying no to tomatoes in a fry, you don't have to cook them. Cut them up into fine slices, then salt and pepper them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then garniai with basil and voila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

For those saying no to tomatoes in a fry, you don't have to cook them. Cut them up into fine slices, then salt and pepper them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then garniai with basil and voila.

So, another one doesn't like a fry then?

Basil :D

You left a sentence out.

" Then at this point you are ready to open the lid of the bin and discard the disgusting mess"

Ha ha. Yeah right. Ha.

Jesus H. Christ. You need a slap in the face with a big chub of Clonakilty if you think that sheite has any place in an Irish Fry. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

For me it's tomatoes.

And me. Tasteless, hard and watery.

If you grill the slowly with salt pepper and a bit of died basil until they're nice and caramelized on top...
    Some bacon curls up on the frying pan. Put it on the base of the grill pan, with the grill insert (if that's what it's called) upside down on top. That keeps it nice and straight. The sausages and puddings go on top.

This is genius, I always grill cos you can get the rashers crispier ..

No potato of any kind for me, I love mushrooms but done in a pot with garlic, salt and black pepper, no oil or butter, the salt draws out the water from the mushrooms do you don't need oil, and they're just yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jayferg

Beans can feck right off. Thick, grilled rashers, grilled sausages, grilled Tullamore white pudding with fried onions egg and buttered toast. Buckets of tea. Brown sauce. But not in the tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont mind tomatoes in their right place such as in salads. But they have no place in a fry or on a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rashers, black and white puddin, sausage, fried eggs, toast, tea

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Happy4all wrote: »
    I don't mind a fried tomato, but I've seen English people include tinned tomatoes with fries....vile! thankfully never seen them with an Irish Fry

Yeah tinned tomatoes and a 'bit a ****in bubble' as well to round off this cockney delight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Had a Gerry's this morn, delicious :D

I might pop down the centra and see have they any fry stuff on the deli counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Jayferg wrote: »
    Beans can feck right off. Thick, grilled rashers, grilled sausages, grilled Tullamore white pudding with fried onions egg and buttered toast. Buckets of tea. Brown sauce. But not in the tea.

That’s a grill. I don’t know since I don’t cook myself a fryup very often but I always assumed the fry needed a frying pan for all cooked meats and the eggs. Or is that old fashioned.

That’s a grill. I don’t know since I don’t cook myself a fryup very often but I always assumed the fry needed a frying pan for all cooked meats and the eggs. Or is that old fashioned.

You may get with the times. This time next year it'll all have to be vegan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hark!!! What's that I hear?! ... Pearce and Collins turning in their graves!

Padraig certainly will be if he sees how you spelt his surname :P

As for the fry, very few no no's for me. I don't worry too much about authenticity. I always grill mine ( except the eggs obviously) to maintain some illusions of being slightly more healthy. I'd have grilled tomatoe (not tinned though, yuck) and hash browns at times, beans too sometimes. Clonakily black pudding is my fave. Very rarely go all out now though, find the whole shebang a bit too much, sadly.

• Advertisement

It's called a "grill up" if you're eating it after midday when you're gone into lunch territory. It's a "fry up" before midday.

van_beano wrote: »
    It's called a "grill up" if you're eating it after midday when you're gone into lunch territory. It's a "fry up" before midday.

It's a fry. There's no 'up' unless you're English and also call all dinners 'a roast'.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's a fry. There's no 'up' unless you're English and also call all dinners 'a roast'.

I'll be having the 'roast' tomorrow after Church service with 'me brew'

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jayferg

I fry the eggs and onions, grill the meat. Just find it tastier that way. Also all the ****e that comes out of the rashers and sausages ruins the pan for frying an egg on

I fry the eggs and onions, grill the meat. Just find it tastier that way. Also all the ****e that comes out of the rashers and sausages ruins the pan for frying an egg on

You need all the good stuff out of the rashers and sausages so you can tip the beans into it to heat them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My ideal Irish fry has spiced sausage patties (like the ones that come in an egg mcmuffin). Lots of crispy streaky bacon. Drizzles of maple syrup. A large stack of pancakes with blueberries and cream. 2 eggs sunny side up. Blood sausage and a side of French toast.

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

White pudding. Disgusting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Salted fruit on a fry (up removed as I don't want to upset pat) :D

I want off this spinning thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Controversial but my fav is the vegetarian fry our local Deli has. Not a veggie but not a fan of the fry meats.
    Fried egg, hash browns, tomato, beans, mushrooms with homemade brown bread. The best.

• Advertisement

You are no more than a rank amateur. The very best of fried eggs are prepared using the fat from rashers and sausages, with a bit of real butter to keep things dripping.

Next you'll be telling me coconut oil is a good alternative to dead pig grease.

Damned hippies.

Advertisement