Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭jmcc

Both the IT and Examiner have had declining sales for years. It does back up the marriage of convenience strategy but it can only end one way.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Fianna Fail have published their forestry and soy plant subsidy plan https://www.fiannafail.ie/ff-proposes-state-intervention-to-secure-future-of-quality-journalism-dooley/# https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4623234-Print-Journalism-Proposals-July-2018.html#document/p1
    it can't just be restricted to literally print journalism he must mean mostly text journalism, but its very much biased towards traditional newspaper publishers.

Timmy dooley says "Newspaper journalists research and fact check" which isn't accurate http://dublinstreams.blogspot.com/2017/08/if-genuine-news-orgs-dont-address-or.html

they want a snippet payment/neighbouring rights ( if you think there no incentive for people to bo beyond the snippet and view your advertising/paid for the article, then your article is crap) such a self defeating idea
    funded by the vat revenue or 6% levy on digtial advertising (inlcuded that on newspapers sites?)

which go to support public interest reporting and busaries for journalists and diversity etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Total Madness.

From Twitter:
    Fianna F are actually proposing that tax payers fund newspapers because they’re now obsolete. This is Fr. Ted levels of tragicomedy. What about the poor blacksmiths and thatchers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barefaced attempt to buy newspaper support before the next election. Don't think it'd be as valuable as the Indo in 97 no matter how strong it was though

Thatchers are in high demand and there are nowhere near enough! Conservation requirements and the odd company with weird ideas (Kepak) keep the demand up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

heres a q, rather then this just about being paper versus online, is it text versus video/visual? (or even chosen to listen to more audio, whether thats radio or download?)

how any of you moved to watching more video _news_, do the kids these days? I mean for daily news from legit sources.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't watch video news online at all. That initially virtually every provider of video news were cranks really hasn't helped.

ABC UK magazine numbers points to further big drops in circulation. Numbers here and here, here.

July ABC circulation numbers here. Declines up to 25%.

ABC H1 2018 Irish circulation numbers are out on Thursday coming, 23 August 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hoteliers got their tax discount when they were in trouble. They still have it now when you can't get a room in the capital for less than mad money. Maybe the newspapers are looking for something like that.

Travel agencies are suffering the same type of cultural shift problems. I don't see any tax drop helping either industry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hoteliers got their tax discount when they were in trouble. They still have it now when you can't get a room in the capital for less than mad money. Maybe the newspapers are looking for something like that.

Travel agencies are suffering the same type of cultural shift problems. I don't see any tax drop helping either industry though.

They certainly are looking for taxpayers money and they already have Fianna Fail TD Dimmy Tooley in their back pocket batting for them-
    A minister for the media, a new €30 million fund for print journalism and a review of defamation laws are among the proposals advanced by Fianna Fáil today in a new policy designed “to sustain high quality journalism in Irish public life.”

The plan was launched this morning by the party’s front bench communications spokesman, Timmy Dooley.

It was welcomed by NewsBrands Ireland, the newspaper industry representative organisation which said it was “a welcome step forward in developing an effective national policy response to support independent journalism in Ireland”.

Fianna Fail must be very desperate for positive newspaper coverage so the plan now is to subsidise the newspapers in exchange for not criticizing them. Kind of like how RTE works but more blatant.

Offering the carrot of a review of defamation laws - or threatening to make them worse if the papers don't comply - has been a common trait for FF for the past three or four decades to try and get the print media onside. This entire thing smacks of them not realising the print media isn't powerful anymore - they want 1997-like "payback time" headlines on election day; if they get them it'll backfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

The Jan-June ABC’s were released. Normal stuff completed if you follow the signature.

I just looked at the Irish Times article on the ABC's, who also took a peek at the work(!). However, no matter how many times you point this out, the media bitchiness is still in full flight – but the Times seem to have their sights on one paper – The Daily Star.

In the article they give themselves a good rubbing down and subtly manage to avoid quoting their own print circulation (58,678 – down 8%) by using the combined print/digital number. The print circulation which is an all Ireland circulation, both North and South.

However when it came to the Daily Star, they maintain their circulation is 41,169 whereas its actually 46,808 – North and south. The use the RoI figure only - a bit selective given the report is called the 'Island of Ireland' report.

I simply find it staggering that they go out of their way, not for the first time, to p1ss on the title like that (or do I?). If they do that, what else do they get up to.

‘"A man who will misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything" - Con Houlihan

The ABC newspaper circulation numbers are out for January to June 2018. ilevel.ie has good analysis as always here. Crica. 8% declines.

Is there a paid vs bulks figure for the Sun available? Saw that they had been hammering bulks out in places, circulation the only one up...

They carry 2,500 bulks in both the Sunday and Daily - consistent figure each month.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They certainly are looking for taxpayers money and they already have Fianna Fail TD Dimmy Tooley in their back pocket batting for them-

How do you feel about the burgeoning hotel industries tax discount that already exists? Are you as incensed about that as you are about the newsprint industries non-existent one? And if not, why not?

How do you feel about the burgeoning hotel industries tax discount that already exists? Are you as incensed about that as you are about the newsprint industries non-existent one? And if not, why not?

:confused: not sure what the 9% vat rate has to do with Govt. directly subsidising the print media. Are you saying that it is a good idea that politicians subsidise the very industry that is supposed to hold them to account :confused:

For the record the 9% VAT rate for hotels should be hiked back to its original 13%. Tbh I never really felt they needed it in the first place- tourism has grown in a steady trend in Ireland for as long back as I can remember, recession included.

:confused: not sure what the 9% vat rate has to do with Govt. directly subsidising the print media. Are you saying that it is a good idea that politicians subsidise the very industry that is supposed to hold them to account :confused:.

Because the 9% reduce VAT rate actually exists where as the subsidies that the Government gives the print media doesn't exist.

Because the 9% reduce VAT rate actually exists where as the subsidies that the Government gives the print media doesn't exist.

As said Im not in favour of the 9% VAT rate for hotels charging 300 odd a night in Dublin nor am I in favour of the print media being subsidised by the very people they are supposed to hold to account. We already have one RTE, we dont need another.

The print media only has itself to blame for not moving with the times fast enough. Their advertising revenues have been obliterated because they sneered at sites like Daft, Carzone, Donedeal, etc rather than innovating and competing with them. The print media had a monopoly on all car sales and accommodation advertising from the year dot. They thought the internet was some sort of fad and treated it as such. That is their business failure and it isnt up to the taxpayer to bail them out for messing up their own business.

As said Im not in favour of the 9% VAT rate for hotels charging 300 odd a night in Dublin nor am I in favour of the print media being subsidised by the very people they are supposed to hold to account. We already have one RTE, we dont need another.

The print media only has itself to blame for not moving with the times fast enough. Their advertising revenues have been obliterated because they sneered at sites like Daft, Carzone, Donedeal, etc rather than innovating and competing with them. The print media had a monopoly on all car sales and accommodation advertising from the year dot. They thought the internet was some sort of fad and treated it as such. That is their business failure and it isnt up to the taxpayer to bail them out for messing up their own business.

Lol.. I don't think there's anything the print media could have done to be honest. The internet took over, organically, with no real effort! Most people saw it coming and retrained and moved with the times (myself included)..

I actually didn't know the print media sneered at websites, I worked in the print media and I never saw or heard of anyone sneering at websites, there was just genuine concern and a shift to packaging.

Who told you the print media thought the internet was a fad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Most of the print media saw it coming from a long way back.

Irish times owns myhome.ie, indo group own several sub sites including vow.ie and carsireland.ie

Most media have been online for many years - its trying to monetize that which is the problem.

Indo, because most of their content is sensationalist nonsense simply would not get people to pay to read rubbish whereas the Irish Times are approaching 20,000 subscribers

And it's not just an Irish issue, it's the same worldwide

• Advertisement

The 9% VAT rate applies to newspapers and has done since it came in.

I actually didn't know the print media sneered at websites, I worked in the print media and I never saw or heard of anyone sneering at websites, there was just genuine concern and a shift to packaging.

Likewise, I worked in print and I can honestly say that whilst they certainly didn’t sneer at websites, they completely underestimated the momentum gathering. Even trying to bring up the subject – the ‘I’ word (in some of my experiences) was treated with derision.

You’d have to understand that the print media thought the party would never end. The high class problem for some titles was that on a Thursday or Friday they needed extra vans to distribute the papers as the size of the property supplements meant they couldn’t fit the same amount of papers into a van as they would have on a ‘normal day’ – total madness.

I worked for a publication that now no longer exists – its demise was 100% down to the internet and peoples changing habits. Could it have migrated – absolutely. Was that on the cards/radar absolutely not! (I’d just like to add that I wasn’t working there when it closed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TodayFM has been mentioned many times in the radio forum as a station that has gone to the dogs in terms of quality.

This morning I was listening to their news and the top story? It is day 2 of the electric picnic. And Kendrick Lemar was the closing act the previous night.

Story 2, the president of the United States would be visiting Ireland in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

NIMAN wrote: »
    TodayFM has been mentioned many times in the radio forum as a station that has gone to the dogs in terms of quality.

Nothing but airheads on radio now and I'm talking nationally!

The recent influx of women to be honest isn't doing it any favours either.
    I don't know if it's just me but I turn the dial when I hear a feminine voice
    on the radio. I'm probably just old school!

So the High court has appointed (will appoint) two inspectors to the indo:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/high-court-to-appoint-two-inspectors-to-inm-1.3617849

Total waste of INM's cash taking this to court.

That may be true - but I'd have no difficulties with a criminal inquiry being instigated on the back of the alleged data extraction

Enda O’Coineen agrees deal to buy Sunday Business Post

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/enda-o-coineen-agrees-deal-to-buy-sunday-business-post-1.3620896?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia-and-marketing%2Fenda-o-coineen-agrees-deal-to-buy-sunday-business-post-1.3620896
    Galway businessman Enda O’Coineen, the chairman of Kilcullen Kapital, has signed a deal to buy the Sunday Business Post newspaper.

Staff at the Post, which was put on the market last year by private equity firm Key Capital, were told on Thursday afternoon that the deal with Mr O’Coineen has been finalised. Pending regulatory approval, it is expected to close in about six-to-eight weeks.

Mr O’Coineen was advised on the transaction by fellow Galway businessman Declan Dooley, who previously operated the Galway Independent freesheet and co-founded the Independent Free Newspaper group.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »

Indo, because most of their content is sensationalist nonsense simply would not get people to pay to read rubbish whereas the Irish Times are approaching 20,000 subscribers

I cant remember where I read it but apparently the Indo are soon to put some of their content behind a paywall.

Advertisement