Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

eastwest wrote: »
    I'd love to see a graphic that analyses the figures properly, stripping out the business that would have been achieved on existing lines before the ennis athenry section was built.

I reckon someone might ask for that to be done in the submissions on Western Rail Corridor/Trail report, hopefully the independent consultants asked to write this report will do this analysis based on figures they get from Irish Rail. I reckon some of the submissions on the report will ask for this to be done and will highlight the holes that exist in the claims made by the likes of Sean Canney. Anyone can say what they want on a local radio station when some decent analysts are released on this data from the independent consultants charged with writing report, Canney is talking pure flannel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign
    September 5th 2018 for immediate release

Passenger figures on Western Rail Corridor show route has failed despite increase in numbers
    • Only achieving 52% of original business case target.
    • Massaging figures cannot deny underlying failure
    • Report into extension of Western Rail Corridor will have to consider failure of Ennis/Athenry line

A spokesman for the Western rail Trail Campaign to preserve the alignment of the closed rail line from Athenry to Collooney by utilising the route for tourism and leisure as a greenway, until such time as a railway may be possible, today said recent claims that the Western Rail Corridor phase one from Ennis to Athenry is a success story due to increased passenger numbers need to be examined closely.

A spokesman for the Western Rail Trail campaign said headline figures released by supporters of extending the railway north of Athenry do show growth in usage of the railway line between Galway and Limerick re-opened in 2010 but on closer analysis are not an indicator of a great success story.

Figures released to Sean Canney TD by Irish Rail were discussed on September 4th on the Galway Bay FM Keith Finnegan show. The greenway campaign were aware of these figures as they had already been released by Mayo County Councillor, Gerry Murray of Sinn Fein/West on Track in August on a Facebook post. Mr Canney is very closely associated with the Mayo based West on Track group.

Mr Canney referred to 133,000 people using the Ennis/Athenry railway line in 2017 compared to 43,000 in the first year the line was opened in 2010. Whilst this may appear to be a large increase in numbers they need to be put in context. 133,000 passengers in 2017 amounts to 52% of the passenger numbers forecast in the original business plan. The figures equate to 31 passenger on average per train; half a bus load.

The original business case to re-build the railway line from Ennis to Athenry, providing a rail link between Limerick and Galway was based on achieving 250,000 intercity passengers from Galway to Limerick by year five (2015).

The figures are transparent. The numbers using the Ennis/Athenry line as intercity passengers is 133,000; this represents 52% of the business case used to persuade the Government of the time to spend just over €100 million on this project; plus the ongoing subvention of over €3 million a year required to run the line.

The bulk of the numbers quoted in relation to passenger traffic on the western rail corridor are commuters using the Ennis-Limerick and Athenry-Galway lines, lines that already existed before the government built the Ennis-Athenry section for over €100 million.

The simple facts are after eight years in operation achieving 133,000 passengers using the Ennis/Athenry line as intercity passengers from Galway to Limerick when the business case said there would be 250,000 is not a success, it is a failure.

ENDS: body text 386 words Contacts: contact via the Sligo mayo greenway facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

westtip wrote: »
    Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign
    September 5th 2018 for immediate release

Passenger figures on Western Rail Corridor show route has failed despite increase in numbers
    • Only achieving 52% of original business case target.
    • Massaging figures cannot deny underlying failure
    • Report into extension of Western Rail Corridor will have to consider failure of Ennis/Athenry line

A spokesman for the Western rail Trail Campaign to preserve the alignment of the closed rail line from Athenry to Collooney by utilising the route for tourism and leisure as a greenway, until such time as a railway may be possible, today said recent claims that the Western Rail Corridor phase one from Ennis to Athenry is a success story due to increased passenger numbers need to be examined closely.

A spokesman for the Western Rail Trail campaign said headline figures released by supporters of extending the railway north of Athenry do show growth in usage of the railway line between Galway and Limerick re-opened in 2010 but on closer analysis are not an indicator of a great success story.

Figures released to Sean Canney TD by Irish Rail were discussed on September 4th on the Galway Bay FM Keith Finnegan show. The greenway campaign were aware of these figures as they had already been released by Mayo County Councillor, Gerry Murray of Sinn Fein/West on Track in August on a Facebook post. Mr Canney is very closely associated with the Mayo based West on Track group.

Mr Canney referred to 133,000 people using the Ennis/Athenry railway line in 2017 compared to 43,000 in the first year the line was opened in 2010. Whilst this may appear to be a large increase in numbers they need to be put in context. 133,000 passengers in 2017 amounts to 52% of the passenger numbers forecast in the original business plan. The figures equate to 31 passenger on average per train; half a bus load.

The original business case to re-build the railway line from Ennis to Athenry, providing a rail link between Limerick and Galway was based on achieving 250,000 intercity passengers from Galway to Limerick by year five (2015).

The figures are transparent. The numbers using the Ennis/Athenry line as intercity passengers is 133,000; this represents 52% of the business case used to persuade the Government of the time to spend just over €100 million on this project; plus the ongoing subvention of over €3 million a year required to run the line.

The bulk of the numbers quoted in relation to passenger traffic on the western rail corridor are commuters using the Ennis-Limerick and Athenry-Galway lines, lines that already existed before the government built the Ennis-Athenry section for over €100 million.

The simple facts are after eight years in operation achieving 133,000 passengers using the Ennis/Athenry line as intercity passengers from Galway to Limerick when the business case said there would be 250,000 is not a success, it is a failure.

ENDS: body text 386 words Contacts: contact via the Sligo mayo greenway facebook page

So you reckon he was being economical with the toot toot!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

A €25 subsidy per passenger is at the low end.

I suspect a lot of those passengers had a FTP.

Not many people in a hurry would take a train from Limerick to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Bray Head wrote: »

I suspect a lot of those passengers had a FTP.

We could get one of the lads here to spend a week going up and down the line checking for passes. Then organise a cup of tea at a venue and take a picture of happy travellers after calling "Who wants a cup of tea? Put up both your hands if you want a biscuit as well!"

Sure the local papers would love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

The world is turning to rail, support the Re-implementation of the western Rail corridor Readers

Irish Rail going to Electric / Hybird Fleet
    www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-rail-plans-move-to-electrichybrid-fleet-35892464.html

Rural France to test high-speed rail travel of the future
    www.euronews.com/2018/08/16/hyperloop-pioneers-choose-rural-france-to-test-high-speed-rail-travel-of-the-future

China is responding to mass migration to the cities by trying to revive remote rural regions – with new railway lines
    www.dw.com/en/tackling-chinas-rural-exodus/av-45247459

India's hospital Train
    www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/story/indias-hospital-train

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

We could get one of the lads here to spend a week going up and down the line checking for passes. Then organise a cup of tea at a venue and take a picture of happy travellers after calling "Who wants a cup of tea? Put up both your hands if you want a biscuit as well!"

The guys who run the tea stalls on the cycleways can tender for the gig to do the tea and biscuits at the photoshoots. Once they've a gluten free option, naturally.

Great news for Boyle Train station it had recorded a substantial increase in passenger numbers in the last few years.

I'm sure that would bring great peace of mind for any would be regular anti western rail corridor poster here on boards that their own local train station is safe....

Carrying on with the discussion as the other thread is full

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055766866/1

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections) 2

Hi DaCor / Mod could this thread be renamed as above, it makes no since to change it if it was to be a continuance of the last discussion.

Another Western Rail Trail map for you, this time showing all the local businesses, sporting and community groups that have lent their support. This is the second in a series, with further maps to follow

https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/athenry-to-sligo-greenway-support_244461

So far it's only showing the Athenry ones, but will be updated shortly with the 100+ additions from Tuam.

By the time of the Galway County Council vote on the 24th, there is projected to be several hundred more indications of support from other local groups

Feedback always welcome

Hi voz, missed ya buddy, good to see you are well

Hi Glentoran, how are you doing. I look forward to unravelling your ramblings. You make some entertaining posts

• Advertisement

Hi voz, missed ya buddy, good to see you are well

You know, got to keep a bit of noise going when I see you guys pulling fast ones around thread names and that :)

To be fair to you, I don't think it is something your able to do yourself after you start the thread, and it was probably an honest oversight in the first place.
    P.S. Hello to Tuam :) How is the half hour city commute in the car going for the cyclists?

The Politicians on the north are arguing for all Ireland rail on both the east and west axis which is brilliant. - very good points of view made

www.derryjournal.com/news/opinion-all-ireland-rail-network-is-the-way-of-the-future-foyle-mp-1-8622051

Spain’s high-speed railway - ''Over the past few decades, high-speed rail has penetrated European countries at an increasingly rapid pace''

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/spain-ave-rail/

westtip wrote: »
    the layout of the land is pretty much what is happening as you describe. The Sligo section is a shoe in. A rail link to Knock Airport is based on the myth of extending to Charlestown, North of Claremorris has more or less been conceded even by West on Track and their diehard supporters in Mayo coco as they have allowed a change of use of the line to velo-rail in and around Kiltimagh (although this project is failing to get off the ground) there is some truth in what you say about decrease the costs of fares the subvention in total stays the same. I have heard figures like the Ennis/Athenry line is costing about €60k per week, not fully sure of that need to double check before someone jumps down my throat, but that works out at around 3million a year.

It is true the most likely greenway to be completed first will be Charlestown - collooney, when that happens the impact will be interesting to measure.

Oh my, the mis-truths on this page. He is the spokes man for west on track now and trying to tie them to one county.
    Sure what about north west on track are you going to tie the Derry, donegal and sligo people to Mayo coco as well.
    The Knock airport myth hahaha, you really need to get your self a dictionary :-D

voz es wrote: »
    The Politicians on the north are arguing for all Ireland rail on both the east and west axis which is brilliant. - very good points of view made

www.derryjournal.com/news/opinion-all-ireland-rail-network-is-the-way-of-the-future-foyle-mp-1-8622051

Spain’s high-speed railway - ''Over the past few decades, high-speed rail has penetrated European countries at an increasingly rapid pace''

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/spain-ave-rail/

The key to some of the high sped rail in european countries was the construction of new lines on new alignments to facilitate high speed running. They didn't try to force new technology on old, slow routes.
    The distances are somewhat longer too! Not to mention the population numbers in the cities being connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

You know, got to keep a bit of noise going when I see you guys pulling fast ones around thread names and that :)

To be fair to you, I don't think it is something your able to do yourself after you start the thread, and it was probably an honest oversight in the first place.
    P.S. Hello to Tuam :) How is the half hour city commute in the car going for the cyclists?

Haven't you heard? Tuam is Quiet....Maaan :cool:

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Haven't you heard? Tuam is Quiet....Maaan :cool:

Chice, i heard its lakes with all the jammers wide to the city :-D

A lot of Tuam folk I do be talking to are well wise to the importance of having a Tuam T.D., with the mannnnn Cannon doing a parnell with the bike track people, snipping more votes for Fine Geal, while his leader is on about backing rail to the hilt.

Chice, i heard its lakes with all the jammers wide to the city :-D

A lot of Tuam folk I do be talking to are well wise to the importance of having a Tuam T.D., with the mannnnn Canney doing a parnell with the bike track people snipping more votes for Fine Geal, while his leader is on about backing rail to the hilt.

"May" is the key word in Leo's letter to Tuam's Nevile Chamberlain. He's got to ride into town on that train or he's just another on a long list of "you got your chancer's" ex-TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

What's going on with kiltimagh velorail?

All I've seen is some lad lost his gopro doing a survey

And a few lads on employment schemes scratching around

Michael Ring was promising big money for it

"May" is the key word in Leo's letter to Tuam's Nevile Chamberlain. He's got to ride into town on that train or he's just another on a long list of "you got your chancer's" ex-TDs.

I would have to wonder if it is empty gesture from him for positive rural headlines, I feel Varadkar is trying the quell the rural disdain for Fine Gael that is building rapidly.
    I wonder as a sub plot is his aim to confuse or divide the rural FG voter, having Kyne shouting Railway line, Cannon shouting Bike, Ring Shouting Velo-rail or is he genuine in his rail efforts, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isambard wrote: »

The spin in that article!!!
    Mr Varadkar has written a letter saying that if the review into restoring a rail service between Athenry and Tuam makes a positive recommendation, then it is a project that will be prioritised and advanced.

No honest review is ever going to do that, as Varadkar is well aware.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

https://connachttribune.ie/taoiseach-may-back-rail-link-reopening-690/

What is Leo up to here I wonder. A bit of kite flying before a possible election. Canney fairly bullish to the other TD's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

sonnyblack wrote: »

What is Leo up to here I wonder. A bit of kite flying before a possible election. Canney fairly bullish to the other TD's

It literally costs him nothing to say that. There's a big, massive "if" in there, here, I'll show you:
    Mr Varadkar has written a letter saying that IF the review into restoring a rail service between Athenry and Tuam makes a positive recommendation, then it is a project that will be prioritised and advanced.

Canney played what he thought was an ace card in an effort to frustrate the vote at Galway County Council. Cannon has seen his ace review with a full house of Athenry businesses and a Cllr with a change of heart. Canney looks like he has flipped the table over in panic. Weeks to go before the vote. This is going to get interesting.

Canney extracting a pretty thin commitment from him, he 'may' support, 'if' the review, etc.
    There's a vote coming up in Galway county council on a feasibility study for the greenway, and Canney and his other WOT buddies are trying to just do enough to make a few councilors wobble. They did it beore, managed to get councilors to defer a decision until after the rail review is published, ie. never, if Canney has his way.
    Another of the WOT guys has a similar spin in another local paper there today too.
    It might seem stupid, but it worked before, and may well work again. Councillors aren't always noted for their ability to tell fact from fiction.

One thing about Varadkar's announcement is that If the report finds there to be a justified case for rail on the western north south axis its all systems go.

There is a green way that would make so much more sense for people to be causing a stir about and the would be the Shannon-Suck-Boyle Riverloop It would encompass Lough Gara, Lough Key, Lough Drumharlow, Lough Corry, Lough Boderg, Lough Bofin, Lough Ree.

Towns covered would be: Athleague, Ballinasloe, Ballyforan, Ballymoe, Castlerea, Glinsk, Frenchpark, Boyle and from Carrick on Shannon down to Shannon Bridge along the Shannon.

Some of the most beautiful, historic and Untapped from a tourism point of view..... great name too.

Canney played what he thought was an ace card in an effort to frustrate the vote at Galway County Council. Cannon has seen his ace review with a full house of Athenry businesses and a Cllr with a change of heart. Canney looks like he has flipped the table over in panic. Weeks to go before the vote. This is going to get interesting.
    All he has to do is stop it though, it only takes a couple of heads. The Apple project was stalled long enough to write it off, and again by just a few people.
    If they can keep stalling, the money will all be diverted to other counties, and that's all they want. They know they won't get a railway, but that's not the point, they just want to stop the greenway project from gaining traction.

One thing about Varadkar's announcement is that If the report finds there to be a justified case for rail on the western north south axis its all systems go.

There is a green way that would make so much more sense for people to be causing a stir about and the would be the Shannon-Suck-Boyle Riverloop It would encompass Lough Gara, Lough Key, Lough Drumharlow, Lough Corry, Lough Boderg, Lough Bofin, Lough Ree.

Towns covered would be: Athleague, Ballinasloe, Ballyforan, Ballymoe, Castlerea, Glinsk, Frenchpark, Boyle and from Carrick on Shannon down to Shannon Bridge along the Shannon.

Some of the most beautiful, historic and Untapped from a tourism point of view..... great name too.
    And all the land in public ownership, no doubt.

I would have to wonder if it is empty gesture from him for positive rural headlines, I feel Varadkar is trying the quell the rural disdain for Fine Gael that is building rapidly.
    I wonder as a sub plot is his aim to confuse or divide the rural FG voter, having Kyne shouting Railway line, Cannon shouting Bike, Ring Shouting Velo-rail or is he genuine in his rail efforts, time will tell.
    Leo is just trying to keep Canney from doing something stupid, by making promises that he knows he won't have to deliver on. He should call his bluff; Canney won't bring down the government at this point in time, he'd be wiped out at an election now. He's really pi55ed on Tuam and Athenry and he wouldn't get a single vote in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It requires quite the fevered imagination to think the report will find anything in favour

Advertisement