Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bubblypop wrote: »
    Tbf, his nationality shouldn't be an issue, & I don't believe it is.
    AGS actually need a lot more non nationals as members.
    I think the issue most people have is the fact that his career to now has been in the ruc & psni.
    And the problems that may bring

I see the organisation of retired garda have come out to say they have issues with his appointment considering the evidence he gave to the Smithwicks Tribunal and refused to back up. Why didn't he back up what he said?
    Now if the serving Garda members are of the same opinion he could have trouble in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see the organisation of retired garda have come out to say they have issues with his appointment considering the evidence he gave to the Smithwicks Tribunal and refused to back up. Why didn't he back up what he said?
    Now if the serving Garda members are of the same opinion he could have trouble in the future.

This would be what I'm thinking also Tayto, he's now tainted/damaged goods before he even takes up the role.

Another fluster cuck for the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is the nationality of the person an issue here?
    IMO it was simply a snide way of checking if he would be loyal to the job.

Everyone wanted an outsider to takeover the Gardai.......

.....until it was a Northern Ireland Protestant who had worked in the RUC.

Says it all really.

This is a very interesting article about him.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0626/973407-drew-harris-garda-tommie-gorman/

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

Says it all really.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0626/973407-drew-harris-garda-tommie-gorman/

The objections to this man come from his 'record' not his identity/nationality etc.
    It was the government, as I showed, who seemed to feel the need to underscore his Irishness.

Says it all really.

You were posting articles earlier that confirmed he was an Irishman, now you're claiming people have an issue with him because he's a protestant from northern Ireland.

Who has any issue with where he's from or what church he belongs to?

Can you answer this simple question in an honest manner please, no need for over convoluted semantics please.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Says it all really.

Not a word about Smithwicks and Harris's amazing revelations which he refused to back up. Nor a word of why he is refusing to give information to victims of the Troubles.
    Did Tommy write that by request?

Says it all really.

Don't think anyone has an issue with a northern Irish protestant being commissioner.

Anyone concerned with this appointment should watch this. Although not named, Drew Harris was involved in the aftermath of this event and the investigation into collusion.

The arrest of the two journalists who made this programme shows it is still a very live issue and that there are those unhappy to reveal the truth and actively hiding it.

Anyone concerned with this appointment should watch this. Although not named, Drew Harris was involved in the aftermath of this event and the investigation into collusion.

The arrest of the two journalists who made this programme shows it is still a very live issue and that there are those unhappy to reveal the truth and actively hiding it.

Didn't know that was on YouTube Francie, thanks for that.

That's my Sunday Evening viewing sorted.

First off though, I'm hoping to see Dublin beaten by Tyrone, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Didn't know that was on YouTube Francie, thanks for that.

That's my Sunday Evening viewing sorted.

First off though, I'm hoping to see Dublin beaten by Tyrone, :)

Plus 1 I could only find trailers on YouTube up to now the film was officially premiered at the Belfast film festival a couple of months ago iirc.

Give me something to watch and share this evening on Facebook among my wider circle of

Ps I won't be cheering for Tyrone too many trolls on this current team winding up opponents goalies, free kick takers. Etc off the ball dirty annoying for a purist like me

Come on you boys in blue!!

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    Plus 1 I could only find trailers on YouTube up to now the film was officially at the Belfast film festival a couple of months ago iirc.

Give me something to watch and share this evening on Facebook among my wider circle of

Ps I won't be cheering for Tyrone too many trolls on this current team winding up opponents goalies, free kick takers. Etc off the ball dirty annoying for a purist like me

Come on you boys in blue!!

I'd watch it quick. The British seem to very angry that this is out there. Might not stay there too long.

It is shocking stuff tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Watched about an hour and a half so far, have to go out, pretty harrowing and damning so far even, will watch the rest of it tomoro.
    Just interested if you can link Harris to it in any evidential way, though I don't doubt your sincerity?

Edward M wrote: »
    Watched about an hour and a half so far, have to go out, pretty harrowing and damning so far even, will watch the rest of it tomoro.
    Just interested if you can link Harris to it in any evidential way, though I don't doubt your sincerity?

Only that he was the most senior officer presiding over this and inquiries into other atrocities that the families say are wildly inadequate. I think the doc shows that clearly.

Only that he was the most senior officer presiding over this and inquiries into other atrocities that the families say are wildly inadequate. I think the doc shows that clearly.

Just did a bit of research on this, hadn't actually thought of it much tbh, but it looks like a case could be made on his ability to cover things up alright.

Pressed hard on his links to MI5 on the radio this morning the chairperson of the Policing Authority Josephine Feeilhy said that 'security was not something they looked at when picking a candidate'. :eek:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0903/991217-drew-harris-sworn-in/

A good start, being sworn in at one minute past midnight to get started quickly was a great way to start the job.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0902/991095-flanagan-garda-commissioner/

Flanagan hits the nail on the head:

"The Minister said he is satisfied with the vetting process of the incoming commissioner, and that he was security vetted by An Garda Síochána as requested by his department."

He also said much of the negativity is politically motivated. That certainly is true.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0903/991217-drew-harris-sworn-in/

A good start, being sworn in at one minute past midnight to get started quickly was a great way to start the job.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0902/991095-flanagan-garda-commissioner/

Flanagan hits the nail on the head:

"The Minister said he is satisfied with the vetting process of the incoming commissioner, and that he was security vetted by An Garda Síochána as requested by his department."

He also said much of the negativity is politically motivated. That certainly is true.

I wouldn't class families looking for the truth to be 'politically motivated'. It is a lazy and over protective statement from Flanagan and no doubt extremely hurtful to people who have dedicated many frustrated years to searching for the truth.

I wouldn't class families looking for the truth to be 'politically motivated'. It is a lazy and over protective statement from Flanagan and no doubt extremely hurtful to people who have dedicated many frustrated years to searching for the truth.

I don't think Flanagan was referring to the families. There are plenty of others involved in the negativity who are politically motivated.

I don't think Flanagan was referring to the families. There are plenty of others involved in the negativity who are politically motivated.

Well how do you respond to the families? They are after all the ones who have most experience of this man in the real world, not on glossy CV's.

Well how do you respond to the families? They are after all the ones who have most experience of this man in the real world, not on glossy CV's.

Eh, no they don't have most experience of this man in the real world. His colleagues in the PSNI, even the senior gardai he liaised with, all of them will have more experience of him.

• Advertisement

Eh, no they don't have most experience of this man in the real world. His colleagues in the PSNI, even the senior gardai he liaised with, all of them will have more experience of him.

How do you respond to the families?

It'd be a great coup for British intelligence, to have one of it's top officers appointed as garda commissioner, with access to every garda file on any person of interest to them with a secret garda file as well.
    Might be far fetched.......... But?

How do you respond to the families?

I don't have to respond to them. Why are you asking me that?

To me, the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner is a good choice. That is all I need to say. Any doubts were eliminated once I read what the judge had to say about him at the Tribunal.

To me, the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner is a good choice. That is all I need to say. Any doubts were eliminated once I read what the judge had to say about him at the Tribunal.

Did you ever clarify who had a problem with his religious denomination or nationality?

Maybe i missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So what do you say about the High Court judge in Belfast who said that the PSNI Historical Enquires Team (who Harris led) "abused its power" by obstructing the group Relatives for Justice in their quest to seek files relating to the killing of innocent people? Is the assessment by this judge on the work of Drew Harris not to be believed?

And are you okay with the new Garda Commissioner being precluded from sharing information with the Gardai that would help secure justice for the 33 Irish citizens murdered in the Dublin Monaghan bombings?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And are you okay with the new Garda Commissioner being precluded from sharing information with the Gardai that would help secure justice for the 33 Irish citizens murdered in the Dublin Monaghan bombings?

What first-hand information could he have in relation to what happened in the Dublin/Monaghan bombings?

He is 35 years a policeman, which means since 1983, long after those incidents took place. Any information he might have, would be second-hand or hearsay and of little if any use to the investigation.

I think though, that any information he might have about Garda collusion with the IRA would be more important for this country. After all, any collusion by the British security forces in Dublin/Monaghan is shameful for the British government. Collusion by gardai and others down here with the IRA is a mark of shame for the Irish people and we should clean up our own act before pointing the finger at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He was MI5s main point of contact, if he does not know where the responsiblty lies for the Dublin Monaghan bombings then that would make him incompetent in his job as a liason between the RUC & MI5. It is not like they dont have thousands of pages of files on these matters. Are you seriously saying that he does not have any information in his head that is relevant to live Garda investigations? Because to claim that is to claim he was incompetent in his position at policing in Northern Ireland.

Also you forgot to answer this so I will ask it again:-
    So what do you say about the High Court judge in Belfast who said that the PSNI Historical Enquires Team (who Harris led) "abused its power" by obstructing the group Relatives for Justice in their quest to seek files relating to the killing of innocent people? Is the assessment by this judge on the work of Drew Harris not to be believed?

He was MI5s main point of contact, if he does not know where the responsiblty lies for the Dublin Monaghan bombings then that would make him incompetent in his job as a liason between the RUC & MI5. It is not like they dont have thousands of pages of files on these matters. Are you seriously saying that he does not have any information in his head that is relevant to live Garda investigations? Because to claim that is to claim he was incompetent in his position at policing in Northern Ireland.

Again, was he there in 1975? If he wasn't, all he has is he said, she said.

Also you forgot to answer this so I will ask it again:-

You have selectively quoted from Court judgements throughout this thread. I haven't been able to find a full transcript, that included Harris' evidence. Until I do, I can't be bothered responding, as the truth is probably different to the image you present.

Er, what about evidence in files?

• Advertisement

You have selectively quoted from Court judgements throughout this thread. I haven't been able to find a full transcript, that included Harris' evidence. Until I do, I can't be bothered responding, as the truth is probably different to the image you present.

That's just the equivalent of threading water or kicking to touch.

Advertisement